Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Flavor Bear posted:

Aw god no.
Why must I be so broke?

And reports of series 5 in the UK already???!!!

Please don't let that be true. I'm not ready to go on another hunt! Every couple of months I roll my eyes, roll up my sleeves and dig around to get the 16 of each series, and I just did that for series 4.

Also, touching back on the Pet Shop again, I'm not as excited about its exterior as I have been previous modular buildings, but I think that's just because the two buildings within the set don't look amazing together, but I bet they're great mixed into the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
I haven't even gotten into s4 yet! The one time I've spotted them so far I only managed to snag the last four packs.

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009
I've liked the modular buildings, but I've not yet been able to justify spending that much money on any of those sets... but the new pet store one, oh my... this is just bad. Bad for my bank balance, I mean. And for my shipping costs come the end of October! (Why oh why does lego have to be so much cheaper in the US than in the UK?!?! I'm only here for 6 more months, and I have to get it all home somehow!)

Stevoh
Feb 17, 2011
drat I am kinda underwhelmed on the Petshop. I was sure I would for sure be getting it has a petshop is just one of the coolest shops ever. My Green Grocer is very lonely so I may just pick this one up or the Grand Emporium. Awaiting detailed pics on the Petshop.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

SubbyMinx posted:

I've liked the modular buildings, but I've not yet been able to justify spending that much money on any of those sets... but the new pet store one, oh my... this is just bad. Bad for my bank balance, I mean. And for my shipping costs come the end of October! (Why oh why does lego have to be so much cheaper in the US than in the UK?!?! I'm only here for 6 more months, and I have to get it all home somehow!)

The modular buildings, brick for brick, actually come out to quite a good deal. If you go with the assumed .10 per brick being a good price setting point, then $150 for a 2032 piece set is not bad at all, at around .08 a brick.

ireladd fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 4, 2011

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Just snagged this little guy. You get pretty much all the pieces you need to make your own big stompy robot so you can scale up, and the LED in the head piece is pretty cool too.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Tanith posted:

Just snagged this little guy. You get pretty much all the pieces you need to make your own big stompy robot so you can scale up, and the LED in the head piece is pretty cool too.

That's a pretty good set, yeah. Dad got me and my little brother each one for Christmas and we had a build-off.

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

ireladd posted:

The modular buildings, brick for brick, actually come out to quite a good deal. If you go with the assumed .10 per brick being a good price setting point, then $150 for a 2032 piece set is not bad at all, at around .08 a brick.

I think I might not have been clear... I'm in the US right now (have been for 6 months and will be for another 6, when I return to the UK). The prices of sets here work out cheaper than the same set at the equivalent UK price. I'm not sure if that's due to poor exchange rates or what, but lego is just plain cheaper in the US. Of course, that still doesn't mean I can afford a $150 set! But I'm going to drat well try!

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
drat, I still need to buy the fire station and the grand emporium. I do have 2 of the green grocers though.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Just found my first Series 4 in Orlando at the Waterford Target (I know a lot of goons live in Orlando). Got myself a Frankenstein's Monster and a Mad Scientist, going back for Haz-mat, Viking, Werewolf, Rocker, Hockey Player, and possibly Artist tomorrow. Wasn't expecting the figures to be in stock and my phone was dying, so I just rifled through a couple for shapes I knew.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 4, 2011

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

How do the light bricks work?

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Sockser posted:

How do the light bricks work?

The LED light sits about halfway into the clear block, and there is a button on the back side you push to light it. It only stays lit as long as you're holding it in, and it glows bright and orangish in color.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I wish I could afford that pet shop. I'm loving the painter inside the townhouse.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qZy6ARqGC4&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Cute lego-centric prank phone call.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 4, 2011

Testro
May 2, 2009
I desperately want Tower Bridge, but I'm concluding that it should be around for a while yet - so I'm going to buy Fire Brigade and Grand Emporium first so that they don't sell out.

And then I will save up again and get Pet Shop and Tower Bridge.

I can't believe that the Grand Emporium is the equivalent of £90 in the US, and it's over £130 (around $215) here. Ridiculous. :(

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I'm a big Modular Buildings fan, but I'm surprised that I'm not too crazy about the Pet Shop. I'm totally going to buy it to slot in with my Green Grocer and Grand Emporium, but I'm not super-inspired by the cosmetics. I think that the dual-building approach is really cool, though, and the inside looks great (though the Grand Emporium is ridiculously AMAZING inside).

I think that it'll be way better added to a row of other modular buildings than on its own.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Has anyone bought or fondled Queen Anne's Revenge yet? I'm eyeballing it, but was wondering how it compares to the Imperial Flagship.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

sc0ticus posted:

$400 USD!!!! That's as much as a nice netbook. Wait till it's on sale yo. Even 10% will save you $40.

Yeah, but in 10 years the Death Star won't be worthless...

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I think that it'll be way better added to a row of other modular buildings than on its own.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62467536@N06/5684488247/sizes/l/in/photostream/

You can see it here next to Grand Emporium and Firehouse. It looks tits.

sc0ticus
Apr 16, 2005
hey skin like a doll

tactical_grace posted:

Yeah, but in 10 years the Death Star won't be worthless...

I would wait for another Toys R Us sale where you can buy one and get one half off. The real money is in the unopened sets. Buy two, then sell the other to recoup your own purchase. Mind you, this might take a long time before it's worth selling.

I'm also curious, do people actually buy the UCS stuff for $1000 dollars? I'm curious what the actual market is like.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Network42 posted:

Has anyone bought or fondled Queen Anne's Revenge yet? I'm eyeballing it, but was wondering how it compares to the Imperial Flagship.

All you have to do is look at the preview picks to see that it just doesn't compare. Go to Brickset and take a look at the instructions so you can see how the thing is built.

And then get the Flagship, it's awesome.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Markets scare me :ohdear:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=10179-1

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

djfooboo posted:

Markets scare me :ohdear:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=10179-1

I knew the falcon would go for ridiculous prices but drat.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

CADPAT posted:

Ok WTF is up with the Lego minifigure accessories (pens, fridge magnets, etc...) that aren't detachable.

For example, the lego fridge magnets could be magnetic blocks with minifigs! Everyone would buy them. But instead, not.

http://thebrickblogger.com/2011/01/lego-glued-magnet-removal/

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

djfooboo posted:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62467536@N06/5684488247/sizes/l/in/photostream/

You can see it here next to Grand Emporium and Firehouse. It looks tits.

That it does. Nice that it's ACTUALLY two separate buildings too, so they can be moved in amongst the other buildings.

Tkytko
Jul 15, 2007

"Hisui-chan~, it seems a few things broke."

"... Nee-san, please refrain from cleaning again."

Higher res shot of series 5 is out.

A lot of new, awesome accessories in this series.
Can't wait for these to hit the stores.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I love the Cleopatra has an asp.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
God I love that gladiator's sword.

Cazic Thule
Mar 13, 2008

Denizens of Fear, your master commands you to come forth to his aid!!
Looking to get some LEGO for my son. He's a few years away from being able to use it, but I want to start building his collection now.

When I was a kid, I just had a giant tub full of random pieces found at yard sales.

Now that I have a kid I want to start building a gigantic collection so that I can fill up a tub for him to play with.

I'm just wondering where to start, I just want basic LEGO, none of these movie themed sets or anything.. just an old school random tub of pieces/people that he can unleash his imagination upon. I personally remember building a lot of spaceships, pirate stuff etc.. whatever was around in the 80s heh.

Should I buy a bunch of these boxes or what? http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=6166&LangId=2057&ShipTo=US

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
Something tells me that graduate guy is going to be a hot seller. They should just sell him separately in a little clear box. They'd probably sell a few hundred thousand of them this month alone.

Cazic Thule posted:

Should I buy a bunch of these boxes or what? http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=6166&LangId=2057&ShipTo=US
Your best bet is to just go on eBay and buy LEGO by the pound.

einTier fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 6, 2011

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Wait a second.
Is that gangster's pistol done in gunmetal?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Aw man Roger Moore from the end of Octopussy is a midget it looks like so his legs don't bend. Bit of an obscure figure to do when they're only at the fifth series though.

a sawing motion
May 15, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

Aw man Roger Moore from the end of Octopussy is a midget it looks like so his legs don't bend. Bit of an obscure figure to do when they're only at the fifth series though.

Are you talking about the clown? Because I'm pretty sure that's just a clown.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
My friends and I have started using minifigs as miniatures when we play D&D and god drat I need that dwarf!

Speaking of, I've been trying to think up some sort of 1"x1" base that would allow a minifig to stand at its center but everything I've tried so far either doesn't work of is flimsy as hell. Does anyone else know some method that might work?

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Christo posted:

My friends and I have started using minifigs as miniatures when we play D&D and god drat I need that dwarf!

Speaking of, I've been trying to think up some sort of 1"x1" base that would allow a minifig to stand at its center but everything I've tried so far either doesn't work of is flimsy as hell. Does anyone else know some method that might work?

Two of these and one of these.

vvv They do, but they're more like 1.5" x 2".

Flavor Bear fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 6, 2011

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Christo posted:

Don't the collectible minifigs come with a base? I got two a while back, but I left them at home when I moved so I'm not 100% certain.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Kazy posted:

Don't the collectible minifigs come with a base? I got two a while back, but I left them at home when I moved so I'm not 100% certain.

Yeah its roughly a 3x6 plate with 4 studs in the center.

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Christo posted:

Speaking of, I've been trying to think up some sort of 1"x1" base that would allow a minifig to stand at its center but everything I've tried so far either doesn't work of is flimsy as hell.
I just use a 2x2 round plate with the figure on the back two studs. It's smaller than 1" but it does the job, and I have them in plenty of colours to distinguish different factions.

If you want to do it properly, I believe Brickarms make proper 1" wargaming bases with two studs on top, but they're quite expensive for what they are.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

It's Minifig World.

I really want to pick some up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Evek posted:

Yeah its roughly a 3x6 plate with 4 studs in the center.

3x4.