Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I feel like Annie teaching Kat how to do ether tricks is like that old "How to draw The Tick" lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's kind of sad reading this comic, actually. It's become more and more obvious just how little Annie and Kat have in common, other than their friendship. I really hope they don't end up on different sides of whatever ends up going down, but at the same time, I do, because it'd be less of a story without conflict. :smith:

VVVVVVVVVVVV: Yeah, you're probably right. I just see a lot of potential for a tragedy here as well.

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 4, 2011

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tollymain posted:

It's kind of sad reading this comic, actually. It's become more and more obvious just how little Annie and Kat have in common, other than their friendship. I really hope they don't end up on different sides of whatever ends up going down, but at the same time, I do, because it'd be less of a story without conflict. :smith:

Them pushing through this and remaining friends whilst being drawn to opposite sides of Whatever Ends Up Going Down will probably be the driving force in resolving Whatever Ends Up Doing Down.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

MikeJF posted:

Them pushing through this and remaining friends whilst being drawn to opposite sides of Whatever Ends Up Going Down will probably be the driving force in resolving Whatever Ends Up Doing Down.
Probably, but I think there will be lots of sad things happening before any sort of resolution, no matter what sort of good (crossing my fingers for a mostly-happy ending) the resolution springs from.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Endings? Resolution? What are you nerds talking about, we're just about to start a new school year here. There's larnin' to do, cupboards to explore and mysteries to solve. :black101: Annie and Kat are friends forever, and the only thing going down any time soon is a minotaur's foot on a pint sized robot.

Sillipenda
May 22, 2007
Well, one of them will be learning the class work.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.
This is pretty much one of those opposites-attract friendships. There may be differences between Annie and Kat--a lot of them in fact, and some of them pretty big--but in many ways I think the girls are friends because of those differences, not in spite of them. I'm not saying there won't ever be hard times between the girls, such as last chapter, but I think they'll work through them just fine, just like last chapter.

And besides, Kat is a curious, scientific-minded girl. I think Annie's abilities perplex Kat and the desire to find a scientific explanation is part of what keeps Kat around.

Djolly
May 4, 2011

war. on drugs.
I think the differences will cause tension, more than anything - but the thing that works about Annie and Kat is basically that they've known each other forever, since they were both too young to have developed different ideologies. The hidden strength of Gunnerkrigg is that you see this arbitrary childish friendship grow and mature, to the point where the looming threat of the girls different worldviews is imperiling something we care about.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

McGravin posted:

This is pretty much one of those opposites-attract friendships. There may be differences between Annie and Kat--a lot of them in fact, and some of them pretty big--but in many ways I think the girls are friends because of those differences, not in spite of them. I'm not saying there won't ever be hard times between the girls, such as last chapter, but I think they'll work through them just fine, just like last chapter.

And we've already been given an example of this in Kat's parents' relationship. Her mother is all gypsy magic stuff, while dad is all techno-computer geek, but together they came up with the hybrid system that they can both channel. I can see Annie and Kat working on similar projects when they get married grow up.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Get it, burn? Because Annie is made of fire? Ha! Tom, you are clever.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Interesting how Kat is seeing neurons in her analysis of the air conditioner. What kind of crazy schematics are going through her head, there?

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Fecha posted:

Interesting how Kat is seeing neurons in her analysis of the air conditioner. What kind of crazy schematics are going through her head, there?

Perhaps we should instead ask what kind of air conditioners has she been tinkering with?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Fecha posted:

The Court is alive.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Obviously that air conditioner just makes all other air hotter to make the room it's plugged in to feel colder.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Obviously that air conditioner just makes all other air hotter to make the room it's plugged in to feel colder.

Is there some other way air-conditioners work?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Huh, I always expected the Court's air conditioning to use Maxwell's demons.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Male Man posted:

Huh, I always expected the Court's air conditioning to use Maxwell's demons.

...Now that you mention it, Maxwell's demons would fit perfectly.
Maybe the neurons are there because Kat is imagining a biomechanical Maxwell's demon?

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

VanSandman posted:

...Now that you mention it, Maxwell's demons would fit perfectly.
Maybe the neurons are there because Kat is imagining a biomechanical Maxwell's demon?

I just figured it was to showcase the difference between Annie and Kat. When Annie talks about "emptying the mind" she's speaking in terms of a spiritual mind. Kat can't help but see the physical, biological mind (the brain).

Or, you know, something that actually makes sense.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

To me, I think it's Kat discovering she has some kind of machine empathy, probably inherited from her parents. But who knows!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Cyborg Kat. Katborg. I cannot wait to see it happen. Fernganny and Katborg, the ultimate team-up.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
She's daydreaming about replacing the electric motor in the AC with myomer.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
:stalker:

Nothing good is going to come from these robot obsessions.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:
Do you mean her obsessions with them, or their obsessions with her?

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
I just read through the archives and I really must say that this comic is super swell. Good work Tea-san!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Huh looks like Kat is going to need a restraining order.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ka0 posted:

Huh looks like Kat is going to need a restraining orderbolt.

FTFY.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Do you mean her obsessions with them, or their obsessions with her?

Yes

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Don't be creepy, Robot.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Don't be creepy, Robot.

Can you blame him? Kat was totally undressing that air conditioning unit with her eyes.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

AND KAT TURNS THE BOOK'S PAGE WITH MACHINE-LIKE PRECISION!!

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Doctor Reynolds posted:

AND KAT TURNS THE BOOK'S PAGE WITH MACHINE-LIKE PRECISION!!

Tom's comments underneath the comic are consistently the best part of this strip*

*not to be construed as disparaging the actual comic, of course

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
It's like Tom is always completely self-aware, and it is beautiful.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
That's some intense looking going on there... I may even leer, or dare to stare!

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Story... slowly... developing.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Kat should know about the last time someone tried to engineer a living creature:

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

"It's powered by the heart of a forsaken child?!"
"Might be, kind of. I mean I didn't use the whole thing!"

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
No, see, every robot actually is a forsaken child. They screamed constantly until I removed their vocal cords.

Poor Boxbot...

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
This is like that Sydney Harris cartoon with a big long equation where the middle step is "AND THEN A MIRACLE OCCURS..."

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Ordering a City Face shirt and Reynardine plush. Hope it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

McGravin posted:

"It's powered by the heart of a forsaken child?!"
"Might be, kind of. I mean I didn't use the whole thing!"

I just watched through the first two seasons of this. Such a loving hilarious show.

Also, I feel like the heart of the elf guy in the river might have something to do with the old robots, what with the heart being central to their blueprints.