Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

For street use the Continental Contiforce SM, hands down. Best performance/budget/mileage by far

Aren't pilot power 2s a street bike tire? I think I had them on my gixxer.

You want a sumo tire, bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

yummycheese posted:

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/19/4/index.shtml
Seems legit. They dont have the radiator shrouds though. Also I guess white is a popular option since it seems like most places are sold out of white.

Wheelingcyclesupply is definitely legit. I've bought a bunch of stuff from them and their customer support is awesome. But yeah, I don't know why they only have bits and pieces of plastic in assorted colors.

I know Acerbis sells kits with all the bits, but I'm not sure where to buy them. Also I think they are for E model DRZs so you'll probably have to trim the rear fender to make it fit.

I also use Conti SMs for the sumo setup and like them a lot.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Cool thanks for the tire advice.

I kept thinking in the back of my mind power pilots had too stiff of a carcus for a light sumo bike. Could never flex it enough to get it up temp. So I was a bit wary of going with them.

I think Ill just grab every bit of plastic I can for now minus the rad shrouds. Ill see how the black shrouds + white tank look. Im sure it will be close enough. Maybe do some two tone white + black wheels to even it out :)

Gom Jabbar
Oct 3, 2005
The high-handed enemy
When I bought my White 400SM I couldn't find black anywhere. Not that it really maters, but I am worried that the red dirt that is everywhere where I live will stain the white panels.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

yummycheese posted:

What are the cool tires to put on the DRZ. Are we still putting power pilots 2's on them? I 100% street. Barely even shoot across the grass for "shortcuts". So Im guessing power pilots are still the cool thing.

the aforementioned Contiforce SMs are great tires with plenty of grip... I've been extremely happy with the set I have on my 625smc. I've done four trackdays and ~3700 miles on them. The rear is toast but the front still has some life left in it. They warm up fast and have enough stick to drag knee, peg, toe, and frame :shepface: . Overall life is not that great but the tradeoff is a tire that performs loving great on the street both wet and try, the track, and even works pretty darn well on hardpack trails and gravel.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Christoff posted:

For street use the Continental Contiforce SM, hands down. Best performance/budget/mileage by far

Aren't pilot power 2s a street bike tire? I think I had them on my gixxer.

You want a sumo tire, bro

I prefer Pilot Powers for street use. Feels just as grippy as the Contis and I'm not eating a rear every 2,500. Apparently needknees got more life out of his but I don't know what magical voodoo he's been performing.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
I have bridgestone dual compound on my 400, BT-23's I think (The sickier of the touring compounds, not the sumo BT compound). They are pretty rad for mileage and I like the shape of them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gom Jabbar posted:

When I bought my White 400SM I couldn't find black anywhere. Not that it really maters, but I am worried that the red dirt that is everywhere where I live will stain the white panels.
If you don't want a white bike, order a set of replacement plastics. They're cheap!

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001
So, I caught the DRZ making some weird noises last night on a short, cross-town trip that it either wasn't doing -- or I hadn't noticed -- before.

The sound itself is a sort of brief, vaguely metallic-sounding chattering. It's rhythmic, happening maybe once every 1-2 seconds, and during about a mile or so of trying to diagnose it, I wasn't able to very accurately source the location (read: it's coming from below me! :downs:)

As near as I can tell, it only seems to happen when the clutch is out and I'm coasting in gear. Pull the clutch in and coast, and it doesn't happen. Get back on the throttle (even maintenance throttle) and I don't hear anything. I found the easiest way to hear it clearly is to coast in gear with the clutch in, then let it out just enough to engage the transmission a bit and keep letting it slip.

At a bit of a loss at the moment, but I'll have to take a closer look this weekend. The bike only has maybe ~8K on the clock - transmission issues already??

edit: Yeah, this is definitely not exhaust noise - it sounds more mechanical in nature.

toolshed fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 5, 2011

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I don't know what kind of dampening the DRZ has, but a sound only on engine decel is usually the exhaust popping.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

toolshed posted:

So, I caught the DRZ making some weird noises last night on a short, cross-town trip that it either wasn't doing -- or I hadn't noticed -- before.

The sound itself is a sort of brief, vaguely metallic-sounding chattering. It's rhythmic, happening maybe once every 1-2 seconds, and during about a mile or so of trying to diagnose it, I wasn't able to very accurately source the location (read: it's coming from below me! :downs:)

As near as I can tell, it only seems to happen when the clutch is out and I'm coasting in gear. Pull the clutch in and coast, and it doesn't happen. Get back on the throttle (even maintenance throttle) and I don't hear anything. I found the easiest way to hear it clearly is to coast in gear with the clutch in, then let it out just enough to engage the transmission a bit and keep letting it slip.

At a bit of a loss at the moment, but I'll have to take a closer look this weekend. The bike only has maybe ~8K on the clock - transmission issues already??

edit: Yeah, this is definitely not exhaust noise - it sounds more mechanical in nature.

Check your chain.

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001

Z3n posted:

Check your chain.

You know, I had a couple minutes last night and took it around the block. I noticed that the frequency of the sound was directly related to the speed of the bike, so that's a definite possibility.

Though, barring some sort of small, dead animal that has fused to the chain, I'm not sure what I'd be looking for.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

toolshed posted:

You know, I had a couple minutes last night and took it around the block. I noticed that the frequency of the sound was directly related to the speed of the bike, so that's a definite possibility.

Though, barring some sort of small, dead animal that has fused to the chain, I'm not sure what I'd be looking for.

Just the tension. It sounds like there is no issue under engine load (accelerating), but the opposite (engine breaking) seems to make it noisy. When you clutch is in (no engine breaking load) it doesn't make a noise.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Um sorry I keep making GBS threads up the thread with my little issues but what size is the spark plug on a DRZ400? I thought it was 15mm but my socket doesn't fit.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Synonamess Botch posted:

Um sorry I keep making GBS threads up the thread with my little issues but what size is the spark plug on a DRZ400? I thought it was 15mm but my socket doesn't fit.

I don't know for sure on whatever plugs a DRZ uses but most that I encounter are 13/16". if your 15mm is close it might be a 5/8"

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
5/8 doesn't even fit in the hole. I am pretty sure my regular 15mm socket fits when I drop it down there but it's kind of hard to tell. But my 15mm deep socket doesn't. :confused:

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
So my dreams of supermoto ownership were dashed today. After driving for 4 hours to pay for and pick up a nearly new 09' DRZ, the seller told me that he let his buddy borrow the bike the night before and totalled it. So now I'm back to square one and I've depleted all of my options for 500 miles or so.

I'm looking at DRZ400s' now in the hopes to turn one into a SM, but I haven't much money to work with. How much does it cost to do the conversion and is it even worth it?

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Nyyen posted:

I'm looking at DRZ400s' now in the hopes to turn one into a SM, but I haven't much money to work with. How much does it cost to do the conversion and is it even worth it?

I did this. It worked out well for me because I've ended up doing a lot more dirt riding than I expected and it's awesome to have both wheel sets and be able to swap back and forth depending on the ride. You could also turn around and sell the dirt wheels to make some cash to fund the conversion if you don't think you're going to use them at all.

You can find used SM wheels with rotors for $700-$900 if you look around. That plus a front brake caliper relocator and rear sprocket/chain should get you all you need for less than a grand, as long as you bargain hunt.

Aftermarket wheels can get pretty pricey and have the added issue of usually not working with the DRZs speedo drive, so you have to factor in the cost of a Trailtech or something similar.

Symphoric fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 6, 2011

MajesticTrout
Apr 23, 2006
I did end up buying a SM510.

It's easily the most fun I've ever had on a motorcycle. My only complaint so far is the kickstand. As soon as you stand the bike up, it automatically retracts. I'm going out to the garage now to see what I can do with it.

Bonus shot of the 510 in its natural state:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I wouldn't mess too much w/ the kickstand since that's probably designed that way so it doesn't come down while you're airing it out or whatever.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
That's a drat tidy looking sumo.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

:neckbeard:

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Z3n posted:

I feel like I know where that is. Slim chance, but - Chuckanut Drive, near Bellingham, WA?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Right in one!

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
On the 610 there's a specific piece you cut off and it stops it from being automatic. I'm pretty sure it's not too different on the 510.

The main problem with the automatic kickstands is that the bikes will vibrate themselves onto the ground.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Z3n posted:

Welp that's the cleanest that bike will be ever again.

Welcome to the KTM motard club. :respek:

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...
This got delivered last night. I'm quite excited.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Have you had a chance to ride it yet?

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Z3n posted:

Have you had a chance to ride it yet?

Just rode it now. No plates + wheelies in abundance is a bad combination.

Ghostpilots
Sep 24, 2004

Vigilant Sidekick

Z3n posted:

SHUTTHEFUCKUP I am so jealous of you right now :mad:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Every time I ride the CRF I come home with the same stupid grin on my face...what a bike. I don't even like wheelies/stoppies but on this thing I can't help myself.

Think I'm fixing the truck this week so I can take the CRF to the gap and see how it does on a road practically built for motards.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

One of us.
One of us.

Fellow 690 owners: what tyres are we all running?

I swapped in a Conti SM on the SMC when some little pikey put a stanley in the original pirelli rear; I really don't have anything good to say about it bar the price. For starters I felt it wore out too quickly, and I don't know if it just didn't work right with the existing Pirelli on the front but I never felt really confident with it.

Swapped out to Avon PXRs front and rear for the winter of 09 and they were stoppies-in-the-wet awesome, but the rain didn't come like it did in 08 and I wore out the rear by spring. I swapped the rear to an Avon Distanzia SM, which is a popular combo on big sumos here in the UK (where we have to endure a fair amount of wet riding) and I have to say it's pretty much spot on in every department; handling, cost, wear. The PXR on the front is only now getting to the end of it's life and the Distanzia looks like it still has the rest of the summer, maybe longer left.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 8, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Mine has a set of Maxxis Presa DOT Race tires on it. Not impressed. They're good for the price ($50 a set, shipped when you could get them on ebay), but they're not great tires. I've got a front Diablo Supercorsa takeoff to spoon on, and a rear on the way. My favorite sumo tires for sure, although I dunno how the additional HP of the 690 will treat the rear.

I've also picked up the 1/3 blink code on my FI a few times. I think it was oil in the airbox fouling up the sensor, so I cleaned that up, filled the connector with dielectric grease, and made sure everything was making a solid connection. Should be good now, fingers crossed.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 9, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

About to pull the trigger on an 08+ KTM 690 SMC. Well, have to find one first. Anything to know before I go? Any other better options?

Anyone want to a buy a 2007 KTM 690 SM?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Christoff posted:

About to pull the trigger on an 08+ KTM 690 SMC. Well, have to find one first. Anything to know before I go? Any other better options?

Anyone want to a buy a 2007 KTM 690 SM?

A small number of them have rocker wear issues. Not sure why. You can see them on a valve check, it's a relatively inexpensive replacement part ($60). The 08s had occasional issues with the gauges fogging up, they should have been replaced under warranty.

I don't think there are any better options for a street sumo. For a race bike, absolutely, there are better options. The only downside to the 690 is that it's expensive. But long service intervals, no known major issues with the engine (it's the nth revision of their established LC4 single). But besides that, top shelf suspension, power, etc.

I wouldn't get one with anything but a stock exhaust, tuning on them is very difficult to do right (they apparently like to run really rich or else you end up with serious issues), and most of the time ends up pretty much ruining the powerband of the bike.

There's one up here in SB for 5800 right now. Dunno if it's still on CL or not.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I figure I'll spend the extra cash for a solid bike i'll keep for years.

What mods are there for power?

TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010
I made a joke about my bike getting stolen last night and guess what happened :(

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

TylerC 2.0 posted:

I made a joke about my bike getting stolen last night and guess what happened :(

It got ran into and knocked over? Please let it be this.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

TylerC 2.0 posted:

Joyrider, probably :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010
It's gone.

First night in front of the house, wheel locked, right off the sidewalk in front of my door. My roomies girlfriend successfully leaves her Ruckus there on the street all the time so I had my guard down.

It's a residential one way street so I'm betting it was dragged off and stashed. I've walked the block and peaked around as much as I can and I've put up fliers and took one to the nearest motorcycle repair shop. poo poo I even called the police but I'm going on 4 hours waiting.

Some kids in the area have a ratty old dirtbike and they drove my street three three times last night. I plan on tracking down were they live for a looksy doo.

The worse part is I have neighbors on their porches 24/7/365 on both ends of the block. When I tried to see if they saw anything they play dumb and act like they never sit on the porch :rolleyes: Snitches get stiches or whatever.

• Locked thread