Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfvvab_4u_Q&feature=related

LOL N00B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Forty Two posted:

Not sure if this has been posted before, but this is why you NEVER EVER EVER start the bike when you're cleaning the chain.

NMS!!
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242261

From the thread:
"Holy poo poo. You are one dumb fucker!"
"At least I can spell the word BRAKE in my sig."
"At least I can type it. LOL "

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

He crashed like a champ though. I'll take sliding after a crash over tumbling around and breaking bones any day. He even managed to keep his legs off the road.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Yeah but he slid on his back in a t-shirt forever. :cry:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Gnaghi posted:

Yeah but he slid on his back in a t-shirt forever. :cry:

It was a hoodie! they have magical antiabrasive powers! :gonk:

He did have the presence of mind to watch for oncoming bikes while sliding though, which is pretty amazing no one hit him.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Zool posted:

I think someone pooped in your rear brake fluid reservoir.

I'm laughing way too much at the image of a bum expertly unscrewing the cap to gently put a piece of poo poo in it, and closing it back up.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Not quite a cycle, but still good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxVdU2eVYSg&feature=player_embedded#at=12

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

SaNChEzZ posted:

Not quite a cycle, but still good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxVdU2eVYSg&feature=player_embedded#at=12

That's a really nice lawn.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Whatever he was shooting, that flag really wanted him to stop.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

SlightlyMadman posted:

Whatever he was shooting, that flag really wanted him to stop.

The irony of the flag slapping him in the face is the best part

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

The gas mask is such a nice touch :lol:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

The gas mask is such a nice touch :lol:

That's the weirdest front rotor I've ever seen, but yes the gas mask is excellent.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SaNChEzZ posted:

That's the weirdest front rotor I've ever seen, but yes the gas mask is excellent.

They're "Zero Torsional Load" or perimeter brakes, Buell have a serious hardon for them.

EDIT: terminology error.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 4, 2011

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

KozmoNaut posted:

They're "Zero Torsional Force" or perimeter brakes, Buell have a serious hardon for them.

They look pretty awesome imo. Belt drive is also awesome, I wish it was more common.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

hayden. posted:

They look pretty awesome imo. Belt drive is also awesome, I wish it was more common.

I got the name wrong, they're "Zero Torsional Load" or ZTL brakes if you want to know more about them. Unfortunately, I believe there have been some issues with them overheating and warping under heavy use. They're fine for street bikes, but on the track they don't stack up to the traditional double disc setup.

I agree that belt drives should be more common, no more cleaning, lubricating and adjusting for wear, it would be awesome for a lot of street bikes.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

I agree that belt drives should be more common, no more cleaning, lubricating, getting your fingers chewed through the sprocket and adjusting for wear, it would be awesome for a lot of street bikes.

In relation to earlier link.

That gas mask looks sweet and brings the front together.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Somebody put up a Firebolt XB9 or whatever recently on craigslist. I've always kind of thought about owning some Buell just for the interestingness of it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I would definitely give it a test ride if you get the chance. I really love mine, but I have a tendency to enjoy over engineered stuff.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Deeters posted:

I would definitely give it a test ride if you get the chance. I really love mine, but I have a tendency to enjoy over engineered stuff.

Don't they also carry oil in the frame/swingarm? Lots of pretty interesting design features packed in one bike.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I just want to know what a sport bike with a peaked out harley motor is like. If I were to buy one I would probably try to find one of the standards instead of the firebolt though.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

lancemantis posted:

I just want to know what a sport bike with a peaked out harley motor is like. If I were to buy one I would probably try to find one of the standards instead of the firebolt though.

I have a peaked out harley motor. It wheelies like nothing, but doesn't have much high speed potential. It's just really easy to ride because it doesn't care what gear your in.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

VTNewb posted:

I have a peaked out harley motor. It wheelies like nothing, but doesn't have much high speed potential. It's just really easy to ride because it doesn't care what gear your in.

I don't know if the engines are similar or not, but my suzuki boulevard seems to work like this. It's like driving a modern pickup with an unnecessarily big engine; it performs like a muscle car up until like 115, and then that's kind of it.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Dammit Now I miss my xb12ss. My buddy Matt compared the motor to a tractor because of the low revs, but drat I lovedthat bike. It handled insanely well and had TONS of torque. Plus, nobody around here has a Buell so it was unique.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't know about belt drives anymore now, though. I actually saw a dude snap the belt on his rather-new harley last weekend just trying to start from first. Maybe he really abused it or it was a lemon.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I had an XB9s I rode all throughout college, winter and all. It was really what got me into bikes after years of not riding. For a quirky bike it was drat reliable and always started, although I always worried about snapping that belt. It never did but the guy I sold it to said he snapped it weeks later (he wheelied the poo poo out of it though). Noteable experiences were taking it to 100 and having to downshift to get up to 120 and putting the gas mask on the front cause of that pic and riding to a theater showing of mad max like that (it didn't look as good).

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

bidikyoopi posted:

Don't they also carry oil in the frame/swingarm? Lots of pretty interesting design features packed in one bike.

Fuel in the frame, oil in the swingarm isn't it?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

Noteable experiences were taking it to 100 and having to downshift to get up to 120

Now that's something new. My dad had a Sportster, then a Harley Road Glide, then a Dyna. He used to say WOT at freeway speeds every bike would create a humongous amount of noise but the speedo would hardly budge. Pretty sure that's what they call an engine's "character".

Eventually he gave up on Harley's altogether and bought an R1200GS.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

eggyolk posted:

Pretty sure that's what they call an engine's "character".

Or "heritage" :911:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Charge looks to be pretty good. A good trailer at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rogV80QfLYQ

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004

Slim Pickens posted:

Charge looks to be pretty good. A good trailer at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rogV80QfLYQ

Holy poo poo, that looks awesome. I think that made me the most pumped for electric bikes I've yet been. I'm not quite sure what about gasoline and combustion makes a bike "hard" though.

GlazedMcGuffin fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 5, 2011

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
Given the footage I'd say that gas bikes are "hard" because they're still quite a bit faster than electric ones. That gap is quickly closing though.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

eggyolk posted:

Now that's something new. My dad had a Sportster, then a Harley Road Glide, then a Dyna. He used to say WOT at freeway speeds every bike would create a humongous amount of noise but the speedo would hardly budge. Pretty sure that's what they call an engine's "character".

Eventually he gave up on Harley's altogether and bought an R1200GS.

It always amazed me that the sportster 1200 only made like 50hp where my lightning 1200 made over 100.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

Holy poo poo, that looks awesome. I think that made me the most pumped for electric bikes I've yet been. I'm not quite sure what about gasoline and combustion makes a bike "hard" though.

I just love the guys accent. Sounds like an extra from "Snatch."

Now that I think about it, electric bikes are a great idea. A lot of the problems that pure electric cars have, kinda don't matter for bikes. Bikes are so much lighter, a battery will last a lot longer, and in the US, bikes are considered toys, so you don't have to have a 400 mile endurance. The bike can go 150, 200 miles on a charge and then take all night to charge up, because I bet most of the bike owners out there don't ride any farther than that in a day anyway.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FVpN5q7qUA&feature=player_detailpage#t=10s < hard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rogV80QfLYQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=75s < less hard

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Pagan posted:

I just love the guys accent. Sounds like an extra from "Snatch."

I'm pretty sure that's Ewan McGregor's voice. Could be wrong though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Deeters posted:

I've done a lot of maintenance on an XB12X and I think they're cleverly designed, but not necessarily overengineered.

The ease of replacing the drive belt on it had me fuckin speechless. The tapered rear axle thing was great, super-simple belt tension and wheel alignment. Didnt even need to take off the idler pulley, just slid the old one off and the new one on.

Being able to flash the ECM to remap the fueling is pretty awesome too.

I hear swapping the fixed idler out for a sprung unit will help prolong the belt.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

It always amazed me that the sportster 1200 only made like 50hp where my lightning 1200 made over 100.

It's a case of tune for sound and torque rather than power. Most slip ons for a XB12 will actually reduce the power it makes - the stock system is very specifically tuned. The servo-operated velocity stack sort of deal in the airbox is pretty hardcore tech for a OHV twin. We installed a drummer muffler and remapped the fuel on a friend's Ulysses, and we are pretty sure it makes less peak power now, but it has gobs more usable power and way better manners below 60.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 5, 2011

Sir.Tucker
Sep 17, 2006

For the Workforce!
The best sound ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GiHCL4OlUg

Sir.Tucker fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 5, 2011

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

quote:

BEARTREK tells the story of renowned biologist Chris Morgan as he travels across four continents in an effort to save one of the planets rarest animals; bears. BEARTREK is a major motion picture adventure set to be released in 2011. Join Chris as he travels around the world visiting some of the world's harshest and most beautiful locations in an effort to save a species from extinction. Meet the researchers and conservationists in the field working everyday to help these animals. Join the adventure of a life time, join us on BEARTREK.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhRXxKGwz_A

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Luckiest possible outcome for a deer strike:

Approaching Yellowstone last summer, we passed a real fresh kill that hadn't started stinking yet, and at the next gas stop a couple miles up the road, we find that red ST disguised as a deer. Turns out the owners were nearby arranging a tow and a hotel at the pay phone. Dude's eyes were about as dilated as I've ever seen.

His wife explained to us that after the deer jumped out in front of them he kept it up and limped it to the gas station.

I would have poo poo myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My dad's managed to kill two deer while on a motorcycle in his lifetime. The first one was at 70 or 80, he cut the bastard in half with a harley and shattered his tibia. The second one happened only a year ago. He was cruising on a guzzi eldorado and one tried running across, slipped going up a hill, and had its neck broken on the front crash bar. No damage to him or the bike, he was really lucky. That kind of thing happens when you live in northern Michigan.