Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nall
Jun 26, 2000

VERTiG0 posted:

Up and down on the d-pad while you're watching something.

In which case I am sad to inform you that the current beta build has removed that functionality and replaced it with nothing at all.

That's right, up and down during a video now does nothing :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Anyone else run in to where you boot it up, it logs in, and then about 2-3 minutes later it kicks to offline? This just started happening yesterday. A cursory glance at the cesspool that is the boxee box forums turned up nothing.

I have the boxee box dumping syslog messages to my server, and I see it running the "am I connected to the internet?" check being run every 3 minutes or so, but it doesn't connect.

Internet/local network is fine and I haven't made any changes whatsoever.

edit: looks like it was temporary, everything was working 100% when I got home and the wife was watching stuff on it.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 4, 2011

Linkletter
Aug 4, 2004

Why would they do this? I want to use one remote for watching videos, not two.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Linkletter posted:

Why would they do this? I want to use one remote for watching videos, not two.

Because it can be confusing for some people to have 2 volume controls.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Some people need to be executed if that confuses them.

WHY YES, LETS REMOVE FUNCTIONALITY WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!!!! BUTTONS THAT NOW DO NOTHING???????? GREAT WORK!

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug
It's especially bad because the boxee remote is RF so there's literally no way to program universal remotes to work with it.

The boxee box just wouldn't be the same without blatantly obvious, easily fixed flaws though!

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

tgijsola posted:

It's especially bad because the boxee remote is RF so there's literally no way to program universal remotes to work with it.

You can buy a media center remote kit that comes with a USB receiver. Supposedly that lets you control it with your own universal remote, but I don't know how successful it is.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

VERTiG0 posted:

Some people need to be executed if that confuses them.

WHY YES, LETS REMOVE FUNCTIONALITY WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!!!! BUTTONS THAT NOW DO NOTHING???????? GREAT WORK!

No other consumer electronics device acts like this.

They probably had a high number of support calls or returns about there being no volume because their customers accidentally turned it down. Removing the feature cuts down on that, and you can still control the sound like your DVD player, Blu-Ray player, Cable Box, etc...

Linkletter
Aug 4, 2004

It's just completely thoughtless. When I start a video (which I can only do with the Boxee remote) the first thing I do is adjust the volume to a comfortable level. Does anyone not do this? I don't want to use two remotes, and this forces me to.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I ran into a strange problem. The first thing I did when I got my Boxee was to start ripping all my Simpsons DVDs and whatnot onto a large hard drive. Among the stuff I ripped was most of South Park.

For the first couple of days it worked fine, I could go to Shows and watch it just like you would. But now? It still displays South Park in my local shows and has all the episodes I've got ripped, but when I try to watch any, it only offers me Comedy Central as the source.

Boxee still has access to the files and I can play them just fine through the file browser, they're all named correctly etc (not showing up in Unrecognized) and no amount of scanning has helped.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000
Reboot the box and try again.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:
I also use the volume control a lot as previously stated some media files are louder/quieter than others. They should have thought about this volume business before including a :downs: remote with it.

Also when if ever are they going to let us manually add shows with custom art/descriptions because their current system sure as hell doesn't do the job even with proper file naming. If I recall correctly they pull data from imdb and what if the great and wise imdb has no description or episode list for the specific show/movie? Well tough tits there Johnny guess you have to use the crappy file navigation to watch your obscure french cartoons! To make things worse you also have to wait for each one to scroll after hovering over it to see which episode it is because the properly named file is too long to view in its entirety. Oh joy. I guess my only other complaint is the youtube app is borked.

Anyways what can the sd slot be used for besides the obvious storing of media files?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Nall posted:

Reboot the box and try again.

Reboot physically or just shut down and turn on again? I usually shut mine down for the night, so the latter's been tried.

I mean I could just remove the whole Samba share the episodes are on, but I'd rather not because there's a LOT of poo poo on that drive and the rescan would take forever and might not work, so I'm hoping there's a quicker way.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 5, 2011

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

tgijsola posted:

The boxee box just wouldn't be the same without blatantly obvious, easily fixed flaws though!

Nall posted:

You can buy a media center remote kit that comes with a USB receiver. Supposedly that lets you control it with your own universal remote, but I don't know how successful it is.

Works perfectly, my harmony 700 controls the entire A/V system now. I got some generic rosewill/whatever crap off of Newegg. As long as it's RC6 compatible it should be good to go with the build of lIRC they have in to the latest firmware.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

Der Shovel posted:

Reboot physically or just shut down and turn on again? I usually shut mine down for the night, so the latter's been tried.

Those are basically the same things if you have been actually powering down the box and not just setting it to sleep. If that doesn't work and you don't want to re-add the media source to fix it, I suggest waiting a few days for the 1.1 release and see if that fixes the problem for you.

On that note, the final 1.1 release should be out in the next few days, since the final beta release just came out. It has a significant amount of bug fixes, but comes with a number of odd behaviors that have persisted throughout all the beta releases, mainly relating to NFO support. So all in all, it's your basic boxee release, but the bug fixes from 1.0 are quite welcome.

Mike Hock
Jun 22, 2005

The gift that gives back.

Nall posted:

On that note, the final 1.1 release should be out in the next few days, since the final beta release just came out. It has a significant amount of bug fixes, but comes with a number of odd behaviors that have persisted throughout all the beta releases, mainly relating to NFO support. So all in all, it's your basic boxee release, but the bug fixes from 1.0 are quite welcome.

Well that sounds like this release could be a huge disappointment for me. The main thing I've been waiting for in addition to better caching is the NFO support. Boxee's version of the IMDB database is poo poo and usually doesn't have summaries, running times, etc. for a lot of my movies or TV show episodes. I went through all my files on my external hard drives and created NFO files and folder.jpg thumbs with Ember Media Manager and I will be pretty pissed if I wipe my database clean and rescan only to have the box still do a crap job of showing that information.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000
Well the NFO support is there, it's just a bit twitchy in my experience. Like with the folder.jpg, boxee desperately needs some way to rescan the data. If you add a show and then notice it wasn't automatically identified, or the episodes are out of order etc, you can create the NFO to fix it. The problem is you can't force it to rescan at all, so you need to wipe and rescan everything or it won't read your NFO files, or read only some of them, or read only the episode descriptions but miss the order and titles, and so on.

I tried the trick I used with folder.jpg on movies, renaming the folder the movie is in and rescanning, but it doesn't seem to work with the NFOs. So it's not like one step forward two steps back, it's more like a half-step forward with a somewhat confusing implementation.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
And yes fix the goddamn Youtube app, it's so completely unusable it makes my balls hurt.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

VERTiG0 posted:

And yes fix the goddamn Youtube app, it's so completely unusable it makes my balls hurt.

quoting this for seriousness... worst app on there.

Linkletter
Aug 4, 2004

VERTiG0 posted:

Ugh yes. I had some friends over and wanted to watch YouTube videos on the big screen. It was embarrassing, and none of them wanted else to do with my "computery" Boxee anymore. Their loss :saddowns:

Mike Hock
Jun 22, 2005

The gift that gives back.

Nall posted:

Well the NFO support is there, it's just a bit twitchy in my experience. Like with the folder.jpg, boxee desperately needs some way to rescan the data. If you add a show and then notice it wasn't automatically identified, or the episodes are out of order etc, you can create the NFO to fix it. The problem is you can't force it to rescan at all, so you need to wipe and rescan everything or it won't read your NFO files, or read only some of them, or read only the episode descriptions but miss the order and titles, and so on.

I tried the trick I used with folder.jpg on movies, renaming the folder the movie is in and rescanning, but it doesn't seem to work with the NFOs. So it's not like one step forward two steps back, it's more like a half-step forward with a somewhat confusing implementation.

Well, I plan to clear the database and rescan from scratch since all my stuff has NFO files now and moving forward I will run Ember Media Manager to create the thumbnails and NFO files before scanning for any new content I add. Hopefully this works out fine because even though it's an upgrade from the WDTV Live, there is a lot left to be desired in how the metadata is handled and presented compared to XBMC that I run on my office PC. If my graphics card could handle 1080P video, it would be hooked up to my HDTV downstairs instead of the Boxee Box which would probably be back at Fry's.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Linkletter posted:

It's just completely thoughtless. When I start a video (which I can only do with the Boxee remote) the first thing I do is adjust the volume to a comfortable level. Does anyone not do this? I don't want to use two remotes, and this forces me to.

I do this, with my remote, not the boxee remote though. I don't understand why you would do it your way though. For example, the movie is really loud, so you turn down boxee, then the next movie or tv show is quiet, so you turn up boxee to full volume, but if it isn't loud enough then you have to grab the other remote and increase the amp's volume. Why not just feed the amp boxee's full (normal reference) volume, and let the amp do the work.

In my system, if I had the boxee turned way down, my girlfriend would probably end up running the amp up near -5db or some otherwise crazy loud volume. then she'd switch over to the broadcast box for some live TV and the speakers would probably bring the building down.

Linkletter
Aug 4, 2004

jonathan posted:

I do this, with my remote, not the boxee remote though. I don't understand why you would do it your way though. For example, the movie is really loud, so you turn down boxee, then the next movie or tv show is quiet, so you turn up boxee to full volume, but if it isn't loud enough then you have to grab the other remote and increase the amp's volume. Why not just feed the amp boxee's full (normal reference) volume, and let the amp do the work.

I keep the TV volume at a very loud level and adjust with the Boxee remote. Is this backwards? It means that I never need my TV remote for volume except for when I switch sources, which I need my TV remote to do anyway. I just have to remember to turn the volume down first, then switch sources. Otherwise yeah, it can be surprisingly loud.

With your way, you always have to use two remotes. With my way, I only use the Boxee remote except for when I need to use the normal remote anyway. Unless having the Boxee volume almost never maximized means that I'm getting a terrible audio signal or something, I like it the way it is and hope they don't take away my ability to adjust volume with the remote.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Nall posted:

Those are basically the same things if you have been actually powering down the box and not just setting it to sleep. If that doesn't work and you don't want to re-add the media source to fix it, I suggest waiting a few days for the 1.1 release and see if that fixes the problem for you.

Rather embarassingly I fixed it. The thing is, I had ripped most of the DVDs. But not all of them. And season 1 was one I hadn't ripped, and I thought I had, and I was trying to watch episode 1.

I still think it's a bit strange that Boxee automatically assumes I can view the Comedy Central episodes without asking if I want to add the source, but I can easily live with that.

As an aside I think the Boxee Box is my best buy of the year. It's so nice to be able to watch all my poo poo without having to mess around on the PC with audio outputs and poo poo.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I've had a boxee box since launch and I've recently experienced my first problem. I'm watching a 720p tv show in mkv format. It was working fine until yesterday, when the video of files that previously played perfectly started playing incorrectly. Specifically, the video looks like it is in "slow motion" and the audio is de-synced.

Again, it worked perfectly until yesterday, and videos that used to play just fine now don't play well at all. Everything else works fine, including other 720p videos.

Any thoughts?

edit: This is via USB, so I know it's not a latency issue.

edit: The problem only occurs with certain files, all from the same series. I did a system restore and the problem persists. What the gently caress.

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 9, 2011

Nall
Jun 26, 2000
I noticed this behavior on the boxee box my parents own, but I don't know what causes it. I could not get it to fix at all, it just refused to play the video normally and my parents insisted it was fine a few days ago. Wait for 1.1 and hope it fixes it maybe.

StopMakingSense
Sep 16, 2004
Sax and Violins
The volume thing: a big problem is that some apps don't have volume controls, so you'd go into either Netflix and Vudu, start watching a movie, and if for whatever reason, you had turned down the audio on the box, the only way to bring the audio back up would be to exit, play a video, and then turn back the audio up, then exit that video and go back to watching the video on Netflix / Vudu. Not exactly the most general consumer friendly experience.

I just decided to nix using the audio control on the remote period.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

StopMakingSense posted:

The volume thing: a big problem is that some apps don't have volume controls, so you'd go into either Netflix and Vudu, start watching a movie, and if for whatever reason, you had turned down the audio on the box, the only way to bring the audio back up would be to exit, play a video, and then turn back the audio up, then exit that video and go back to watching the video on Netflix / Vudu. Not exactly the most general consumer friendly experience.

I just decided to nix using the audio control on the remote period.

Well looks like this update went out today. The new UI looks sweet and blocks a lot less of your video which is really nice. The whole volume thing seemed silly to me but I run everything through a receiver with a harmony one so I wouldn't even notice if they changed this. Seems like they could've just made it an option to enable for the few people that really wanted to keep it. If you have just your TV and a boxee in a room I guess I can see why people would like this, I'd still rather adjust the TV volume myself.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Like me, literally nothing but the TV and Boxee Box in there. The update is out?

Nall
Jun 26, 2000
It's out but not showing up for everyone yet, if you don't see it you can download it and install it via USB manually.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Youtube app has finally been updated.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Esk1 posted:

If you have just your TV and a boxee in a room I guess I can see why people would like this, I'd still rather adjust the TV volume myself.

I'd really like if there was some way to normalize the volume. Some shows (possibly 5.1 shows?) sound ridiculously quiet on my TV, then the next show (possibly a 2.0 show?) will shatter my eardrums.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Wish their updater didn't check once a millennium by default. I was still struggling with the old bad foreign character support and flash ad shittiness last night and didn't know I could update. So yeah, it took them about half a year to fix poo poo that the browser on my PC has no trouble with. Probably my fault for enjoying Ustream and similar poo poo. Did end up seeing the new Youtube app, but it didn't even dawn on me that they pushed out something besides new app links. :saddowns:

As for the volume thing it cracks me up that the problem still hasn't been solved in general in the industry. Now every big TV in the store has Internet crap built directly into it, but they can't master an old rear end problem like volume normalizing because if they get it right people wouldn't be blasted out of their seat by lovely commercials. Because the best way to sell your new scented candle is by startling me the gently caress out with your shouting, right.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I guess the new firmware is hosed again. I don't really want to wade through 40 pages of replies but it wouldn't update automatically and there's already a thread posting instructions on how to remove it:

http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=35225

Anyone brave enough to read that pile of spam they call a forum and find out what is broken this time?

edit: oh hey, I found it in a comment on the blog post:

quote:

With the change where True HD no longer decoded to multi PCM, but rather downmixed to 2.0, Boxee Box is now incapable of providing ANY HD audio streams without problems. Bitstreaming of DTSMA and Dolby TrueHD do not work correctly (constant dropouts). I find it ridiculous that Boxee says they find it hard to reproduce (and by inference to fix) when pretty much every HD audio user on the Boxee Box Owner thread on AVSForum can reproduce it with virutally any HD audio track.
I will try to figure out how to avoid upgrading the firmware.

With this new firmware, the Box is unusable to me. I’ve also read that DTS core tracks are no longer extracted from DTSMA tracks, but instead output as stereo as well now too. That’s just ridiculous. If true, there is NO WAY to get multichannel audio from the Box, much less HD audio as was a promised feature from Day 1, unless you’ve retained the DD5.1 or a separate DTS track in your MKV or ISO. Most of us don’t do that for DTS encoded movies because of the extra space would be waste.
Also http://jira.boxee.tv/browse/BOXEE-9752

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 13, 2011

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Avoiding the update until I hear some success stories from my trusted goons.

On an unrelated note, has anyone ever gotten the Justin.TV feeds in the LiveTV app to work? After the ad I just get a still on the screen...

Nall
Jun 26, 2000
I've had the update for a few weeks without any major issues, if that helps. Major new issues I mean, some of the old issues are still there.

I get pretty frustrated with Boxee whenever things don't work correctly, then I look at their forums and suddenly can't bring myself to be mad anymore. I think it's an instinctive desire to not have anything in common with those hysterical idiots.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:
How do you even rewind anymore? Does this remote do anything now? This is what happens when you listen to mouthbreathers.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah, seems like my sound problem from before is worse than before.

To recap, I'm getting audio and video via HDMI into my TV and playing it out in stereo. Surround, seemingly specifically in MKV files, is ridiculously low. And after yesterday, poorly mixed too. Surround channels seem very loud, the center channel seems very quiet. The frustrating part is that Boxee claims the problem was fixed with the latest update, but tons of posts on their forums would indicate that it isn't.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 13, 2011

Linkletter
Aug 4, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah, seems like my sound problem from before is worse than before.

To recap, I'm getting audio and video via HDMI into my TV and playing it out in stereo. Surround, seemingly specifically in MKV files, is ridiculously low.

Good to know this isn't just me. There's some files I literally have to watch with the volume on my TV at 100 percent, and the built-in speakers are pretty powerful. Maybe before I spring for a surround system I'll see if they fix this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
My biggest problem is with Youtube. The new app is just kinda crap. It's slow as hell, button presses have a second or two lag moving from option to option, and playback is half assed as hell, but it always was. Before the patch, after half a dozen videos or so, I would get sound only, with just a still image of the first frame of whatever I watched last (which I could get around by changing between HD to SD, then back again while the jacked up sound only advert was playing), but now it just stops playing completely after a few videos, and this is when using both their app or using the browser. It blows to have to re-set the damned thing every few videos :/ But again, Youtube was a mess before, it's just a whole other mess now.

• Locked thread