Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicarbon
Jul 15, 2004

uapyro posted:

Any clue if it would work to port the number to a new e-mail address, then link it to your sprint number (as a non-mobile phone maybe?), THEN do the google/sprint integration?

That's exactly what I did, but after integrating my sprint number with google voice, I went back to the account that I moved my original google voice number to, and under phones my sprint number had disappeared, and trying to add it just gave me a message saying you can't go google voice to google voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Is the Transform a lovely piece of poo poo or did I just get lucky and get a lovely one?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Good: Google finally approved my Voice account transfer and I was able to enable Google Voice on my Sprint number!

Bad: What the gently caress happened to the forward SMS messages to my phone option? It's simply not there on the website, and when I check the box for it on the app, it immediately unchecks itself.

Edit: Oh, hell, I can't forward my old Voice number to my Sprint number anymore since it's now also a Voice number. "Cannot add another Google Voice phone number as a forwarding number." drat. :(

brc64 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 5, 2011

Bicarbon
Jul 15, 2004

brc64 posted:

Good: Google finally approved my Voice account transfer and I was able to enable Google Voice on my Sprint number!

Bad: What the gently caress happened to the forward SMS messages to my phone option? It's simply not there on the website, and when I check the box for it on the app, it immediately unchecks itself.

Edit: Oh, hell, I can't forward my old Voice number to my Sprint number anymore since it's now also a Voice number. "Cannot add another Google Voice phone number as a forwarding number." drat. :(

I went through the same exact thing yesterday... For text messageing, go to phones, and edit the phone you want it to forward texts to and there should be a check box to do so.

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream

SalTheBard posted:

Is the Transform a lovely piece of poo poo or did I just get lucky and get a lovely one?

It's a lovely piece of poo poo. I'm going to end up stealing my wife's upgrade to move to the Evo 3D to get away from the drat thing.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
I'm thinking of switching from my evo to the nexus s when it comes out. Has anyone used both for a while, and which do you prefer?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Bicarbon posted:

I went through the same exact thing yesterday... For text messageing, go to phones, and edit the phone you want it to forward texts to and there should be a check box to do so.

You don't understand. Because my Sprint number is now a Google Voice number, I cannot forward text messages (or even calls) from my old Google Voice to my Sprint number anymore. It basically makes my old Voice number worthless. :(

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SalTheBard posted:

I'm not sure I "get" the Transform. It's hardware equivalent to the Moment and only a minor upgrade (display size, resolution, radio) from the Intercept that was released three months before it. But the Intercept had a Froyo update in December and the Transform just got one last month?

Is there any reason for this device to exist other than to exacerbate, and provide additional evidence for, Samsung's software maintenance nightmare?

Edit: The fact that the Epic sells for peanuts at Radio the Shack and costs the same to use for all but SERO Premium users confuses me further. Admittedly this wasn't the case when the device was released, but makes me thing that Sprint hadn't really figured out what they were doing in the medium-term just a few months ago.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 5, 2011

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

echo465 posted:

It's a lovely piece of poo poo. I'm going to end up stealing my wife's upgrade to move to the Evo 3D to get away from the drat thing.

i just got this phone less than a week ago. I think Im going to take it back and get the Shift 4G

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
Anyone else with a shift get terrible battery life on CM7? I've tried 3 different kernels(x99, Scary, and BCsomething) and it's nowhere near as good as I had on the EVO with Savaged Zen. I'm looking into other roms now and hoping I find something better.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

brc64 posted:

It basically makes my old Voice number worthless. :(

Isn't that the point? It "merges" the two so you only have one or the other.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

DrBouvenstein posted:

Isn't that the point? It "merges" the two so you only have one or the other.

He already had a Google Voice number in addition to his Sprint number.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Yeah, Google isn't helping anyone work with multiple GV accounts. I have a second GV number, and it won't let me attach my cell # to both unless neither has it listed as a cell (as opposed to home / work), and only cells can receive forwarded texts.

(Of course, since those texts are pushed to my phone via both gmail and the GV app, it's not much of a problem.)

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

TheBlackMallard posted:

Anyone else with a shift get terrible battery life on CM7? I've tried 3 different kernels(x99, Scary, and BCsomething) and it's nowhere near as good as I had on the EVO with Savaged Zen. I'm looking into other roms now and hoping I find something better.
I get great life with CM7 and the Shift. There were a few builds before the 7 release that I had poor life, but everything for at least a month has been great. I've never changed the kernel from whatever's stock. What does Settings-> About-> Battery show?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SalTheBard posted:

I can't say this loud enough, do whatever the hell you can to get away from that phone. Whatever the hell you can. Return it if possible, exchange for an Evo Shift would be likely the best idea. The Transform is probably the worst current phone on Sprint (Intercept is officially discontinued) and it just sucks. It lives up to the Moment/Intercept succession line of shittiness. And unlike the Intercept, which got much much better with 2.2, the Transform is still just as lovely with the new update. Dear God get rid of that phone.

Considering how many returns I have seen with the Transform, I really really hope Sprint has learned to be more careful about the mid-tier phones they release. And in regards to the Epic, keep in mind Samsung made a fortune margin wise selling the phone when it launched
($250 after rebate). Currently HTC is having problems (again) keeping their drat phones in stock, so likely Samsung is doing heavy subsidization of the Epic because the numbers for the phone are likely much higher since no one can sell the Shift (even sprint.com is out). It is likely working, because I can no longer order Epics for my store, they are backordered.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 5, 2011

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
seriously, this poo poo is loving annoying. 1.5 WEEKS after I port my number to Sprint, they offer the two phones I got for free, AND port in credits?

GAH.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I'm considering having someone buy my Evo, and I want to make sure my account, etc is secure before I do. What do I have to do to the phone, or through Sprint, to make sure it is clean, deactivated, etc?

Step 1 for me is to do a factory reset and wipe all the data from the phone. Beyond that, what do I need to do?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Currently HTC is having problems (again) keeping their drat phones in stock, so likely Samsung is doing heavy subsidization of the Epic because the numbers for the phone are likely much higher since no one can sell the Shift (even sprint.com is out). It is likely working, because I can no longer order Epics for my store, they are backordered.
If you're backordered on Epics and HTC can't keep their phones in stock, what else are you selling? Or are regular Evos still available?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

ratbert90 posted:

seriously, this poo poo is loving annoying. 1.5 WEEKS after I port my number to Sprint, they offer the two phones I got for free, AND port in credits?

GAH.
Call the Retentions Department. It can't hurt. Also you're within the 30 day window to return the phone.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 6, 2011

Yakadan
Aug 1, 2008
It looks like Engadget's done some investigation on this whole GV fiasco.

Thankfully for me I haven't had any problems, but it's scary to think of losing an important account due to untrained reps messing with an account.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If you're backordered on Epics and HTC can't keep their phones in stock, what else are you selling? Or are regular Evos still available?

Counting the days until the Nexus launches mostly. I have Epics and Evos in stock, but once I sell out I am out (got Evos for the first time since March). For most of this time I DO have Evos, Evo Shifts and Epics available for direct ship out of Sprint inventory, which is how I sold two Shifts today. Overall the general strategy tends to be to get customers upgrading to do direct ships and save inventory for new activation sales (a lot of people will do it if you ask), since the difference in commission between upgrades and new accounts is ridiculous.

Beyond people wanting regular phones, my store sometimes sells the Optimus and Style but mostly its the high end ones. Unfortunately no one wants to buy the Arrive or Echo, so those I have plenty of. And since you are asking the other nice thing that has helped is that since rebates are instant, I don't lose near as much business to Radioshack and Best Buy. That's 3rd party inventory in a nutshell.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I've had my Transform less than a week. Is it too late to take it back and get an Evo Shift?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SalTheBard posted:

I've had my Transform less than a week. Is it too late to take it back and get an Evo Shift?

Nope, you have a 30 day guarantee regardless of where you got it from. Return it, go go go!

Even if they charge a restock fee, fyi it is worth it.

TiCK
Jan 1, 2001

I want you to tap me as hard as you can.
Got my shift in today, replacing my moment.

4G is fast as balls, the phone can play angry birds, it's pretty. Need my screen protector to arrive and I'll be hot to trot.

The Sprint Hotspot thing, they will charge you a tether fee if you turn that on, no?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Nope, you have a 30 day guarantee regardless of where you got it from. Return it, go go go!

Even if they charge a restock fee, fyi it is worth it.

So do you know when the Evo 3d is coming out? Why aren't you telling us?

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom

ShowTime posted:

No one knows for sure yet, but good money is on or around 6/5. Sprint usually launches flagship phones in June.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Chappy posted:

No one knows for sure yet, but good money is on or around 6/5. Sprint usually launches flagship phones in June.

1) HTC EVO
2) HTC Mogul
3) ?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Yakadan posted:

Thankfully for me I haven't had any problems, but it's scary to think of losing an important account due to untrained reps messing with an account.

Wow. Scary stuff. Had I known about this BEFORE I activated Google Voice + Sprint, I think I would have passed for the time being.

That said, I haven't had a single issue thus far, and I've been thoroughly enjoying the integration.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

1) HTC EVO
2) HTC Mogul
3) ?

Pre was June 6th.

EDIT I think the Instinct was June too.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Looks like the one on the right will be coming out on June 5th.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/05/motorola-intros-dualing-portrait-qwerty-android-options-for-spri/

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
You know, everytime a phone like that gets announced I start thinking about how I wish someone would make an Android phone with a 4"+ screen and a slide out portrait keyboard. I like my on screen keyboard but I still miss my BlackBerry keyboard sometimes and I don't care much for landscape keyboards (on screen or physical). I might end up hating it if it ever gets made but I'd like to see one of the major hardware companies give it a try.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Am I able to switch to an EPRP plan from my current regular-employer-discount plan? Looks like I could save about $15 monthly with that, which adds up to $180 a year - something I would be stupid not to grab.

My upgrade was "reset" last week when I called into Retentions and told them in no uncertain terms I felt I'd been swindled paying for an Epic. Felt good.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

traveling midget posted:

I'm considering having someone buy my Evo, and I want to make sure my account, etc is secure before I do. What do I have to do to the phone, or through Sprint, to make sure it is clean, deactivated, etc?

Step 1 for me is to do a factory reset and wipe all the data from the phone. Beyond that, what do I need to do?
Once you've closed your account or have a new phone activated, open the dialer on the deactivated Evo and type ##786#, Menu>reset. Type in your MSL (master subsidy lock). This will perform a factory reset, remove any of your account information programming and have the phone startup the Hands Free Activation process for the new owner.

You can call customer service and get your MSL if you tell them you want to perform an RTN on your hone to sellvit on the used market. Or download a terminal program from the market and type in 'getprop' no quotations. Scroll up and find the line that looks something like
[rsl.MSL]:123456
That's your 6-digit MSL.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

The Entire Universe posted:

Am I able to switch to an EPRP plan from my current regular-employer-discount plan? Looks like I could save about $15 monthly with that, which adds up to $180 a year - something I would be stupid not to grab.
No. You'd have to port your number out to another carrier (like a pre-paid phone) and then back to Sprint once you get the EPRP account.

And you probably don't want to do this because you're in the middle of a contract - You'd pay a significant ETF.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

900ftjesus posted:

Pre was June 6th.

EDIT I think the Instinct was June too.

Forgot about the Pre because it turned out to be such a turd. What makes the EVO 3D a flagship phone though? The dual-core processor? The 3D? The fact that everybody wants to upgrade to it?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Yakadan posted:

Well, that explains why I can't activate it on my phone:

quote:

The restriction appears to extend to personal accounts that receive corporate and education discounts, however, which should not be the case.

I have a corporate/education discount, so it gets treated like a corporate account when it shouldn't be.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well, that explains why I can't activate it on my phone:

I have a corporate/education discount, so it gets treated like a corporate account when it shouldn't be.

I have a dicsount through my employer too, but it activated just fine for me...

It's really weird how temperamental these things can be...

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ozmodiar posted:

I have a dicsount through my employer too, but it activated just fine for me...

It's really weird how temperamental these things can be...

Yes I have been on the 27% Citibank discount for almost 10 years and I was able to activate it also.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Forgot about the Pre because it turned out to be such a turd. What makes the EVO 3D a flagship phone though? The dual-core processor? The 3D? The fact that everybody wants to upgrade to it?

Its the successor to last summer's flagship, and (on paper, anyway) is the top of the line phone for a while?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ShowTime posted:

Please remember I work for 3rd party, not Sprint corporate. They don't just tell me stuff like that in advance.

td4guy posted:

Looks like the one on the right will be coming out on June 5th.

I don't get this given that the Replenish is launching in 2 days (IE Sprint will already have a touchscreen with physical keypad). Whatever.

TiCK posted:

Got my shift in today, replacing my moment.

4G is fast as balls, the phone can play angry birds, it's pretty. Need my screen protector to arrive and I'll be hot to trot.

The Sprint Hotspot thing, they will charge you a tether fee if you turn that on, no?

Officially $30 a month. Look into rooting your phone and downloading a 3rd party tether app. Currently Sprint isn't cracking down on those, but we'll see what the future holds.