Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Scabrous Teat posted:

The best ads lately have been coming from Dodge.

Agreed. Their recent 130min firesale ad for the 2010 Charger SRT-8 was incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Toyota has an excellent, effective new marketing campaign, check out the commercials!
http://www.toyota.com/corollamiku/

Today is the day I realized that I am an old man. :corsair:

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Scabrous Teat posted:

Looks like Kia's really out to ape every current VAG car.

Kia stole a prominent designer from VAG, IIRC, to be their head honcho. So that stands to reason. However, his designs are mostly loving fantastic so it seems like it wasn't a bad idea?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

Agreed. Their recent 130min firesale ad for the 2010 Charger SRT-8 was incredible.

I really appreciated that they gave a new, young director the chance to share us his vision.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

kimbo305 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw7_UTk0d6Y Say whatever you want about their cars but that's definitely a level above any Toyota ad. Made by the agency responsible for Honda's "Cog" advertisement.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

Naky posted:

Kia stole a prominent designer from VAG, IIRC, to be their head honcho. So that stands to reason. However, his designs are mostly loving fantastic so it seems like it wasn't a bad idea?

Hard to say so far, the guy made one car for Kia (the Optima) and it does look great on the outside although the interior is pretty strange.. like an Audi clone but with no refinement or attention to detail.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Scabrous Teat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw7_UTk0d6Y Say whatever you want about their cars but that's definitely a level above any Toyota ad. Made by the agency responsible for Honda's "Cog" advertisement.

Really well done ad.

It sums up my view on automated cars, anyway. gently caress you safety nazis, I want to drive the drat thing myself and go wherever the gently caress I want to go.

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.

KakerMix posted:

What the hell is up with Toyota's marketing department? First they have the kids-making-fun-of-other-kids commercials with that Highlander and now selling Corollas with anime?

:psyduck:

I loving hate that kid so much. At least this time their ad only invokes confusion. That kid just pisses me off with his :smug:

Scabrous Teat posted:

Looks like Kia's really out to ape every current VAG car.

I would drive the poo poo out of the KIA T8 KOUPE :colbert:

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
On the topic of KIA, where do they stand in terms of build quality / reliability? They on par with Hyundai now or are they lagging a few years behind?

Edit: I just used Hyundai as an example of build quality and reliability. :psyduck:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Dave Inc. posted:

On the topic of KIA, where do they stand in terms of build quality / reliability? They on par with Hyundai now or are they lagging a few years behind?

I doubt they're any different. Kias are just a Hyundai with nicer styling and better sorted suspension (although the former is subjective and the latter is likely market dependent)

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Dave Inc. posted:

Edit: I just used Hyundai as an example of build quality and reliability. :psyduck:

I had an '09 Optima as a rental for a week last year. Solid car. Felt very well-built and drove nicely. 5-speed auto trans was a bit unsure of itself though.

Gain 20 Pounds
Nov 11, 2007

69sofine posted:

I loving hate that kid so much. At least this time their ad only invokes confusion. That kid just pisses me off with his :smug:

What really gets me about that series of ads is that the Toyota Highlander isn't cool in any way, shape, or form. It's just Generic Japanese SUV. It comes with features that every other modern SUV comes with. The ads are further disingenuous because the cars they're comparing it to are like, an OLD Caravan and an OLD Taurus. No poo poo a brand new car is cooler than those.

Plus I like "Angel of the Morning"

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Gain 20 Pounds posted:

What really gets me about that series of ads is that the Toyota Highlander isn't cool in any way, shape, or form. It's just Generic Japanese SUV. It comes with features that every other modern SUV comes with. The ads are further disingenuous because the cars they're comparing it to are like, an OLD Caravan and an OLD Taurus. No poo poo a brand new car is cooler than those.

Plus I like "Angel of the Morning"

No snot nosed little poo poo is going to tell me that an SUV is cooler than a loving roadmaster. Respect your elders!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The Buick Roadmaster will always be cooler then any car the Japanese have built or will ever build.

Gain 20 Pounds
Nov 11, 2007

:whatup:

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Dave Inc. posted:

Hyundai's been a consistent Top 10 ranker in terms of quality and reliability in the market since the mid 2000s with '09 seeing them place 4th according to JD Power's rankings. Kia's been improving fairly steadily sitting in the Top 25, usually the the early 20s to late teens IIRC. Hyundai has been funneling a lot of money into Kia to improve their lineup and brand (like stealing better people from other car companies), which is why they didn't buy a single company back in the recession when everyone was going bankrupt but Hyundai was actually still profitable. Oh, and just 'cuz Kia's owned by Hyundai doesn't make them the same company. They have separate management structures, compete against each other, etc like every other separate brand that's owned by the same company. It's just that lately they've started more platform and technology sharing and such.

Plus they both benefit a lot more now that they aren't sourcing so much technology from Mitsubishi/Chrysler. Ever since they started using their own engines, that's pretty much when Hyundai quality started shooting up.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

KozmoNaut posted:

Really well done ad.

It sums up my view on automated cars, anyway. gently caress you safety nazis, I want to drive the drat thing myself and go wherever the gently caress I want to go.

I think the most likely automated car scenario will be you drive the car most places but on the highway there are special lanes where the computer takes over. Hopefully the network used to run the thing isn't designed by Sony.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Scabrous Teat posted:

Hard to say so far, the guy made one car for Kia (the Optima) and it does look great on the outside although the interior is pretty strange.. like an Audi clone but with no refinement or attention to detail.

Err Peter Schreyer has been with Kia since 2006.

Cars that he has designed:

Audi TT, 1998
Audi A6, 1998
Audi A3, 1996
Volkswagen New Beetle, 1998
Volkswagen Golf, IV, 1998
Volkswagen Concept R, 2004
Volkswagen Eos 2006

Kia Borrego, 2009
Kia Venga, 2009
Kia Forte, 2010
Kia Sorento, 2010
Kia Sportage, 2010
Kia Cadenza, 2011
Kia Optima, 2011
Kia Picanto/Morning, 2011

Basically the entire modern Kia lineup has been done under his guidance.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 6, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

travisray2004 posted:

Is this a joke?
Sadly, no. She's apparently a pop sensation in Japan- an entirely artificial animated creation with a synthesized voice. And holographically performing at sold-out concerts. And driving Toyotas. :psyduck:

It's downright creepy.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
That might be one of those ads they'll want to keep for the Japanese market only.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

heat posted:

I think the most likely automated car scenario will be you drive the car most places but on the highway there are special lanes where the computer takes over. Hopefully the network used to run the thing isn't designed by Sony.

I have a friend at Stanford who used to work on vehicle automation for his Phd. He got disillusioned and switched majors when a bunch of automakers came out and said they really like the research work, but they'll never build an automated car due to the liability issues.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Brigdh posted:

I have a friend at Stanford who used to work on vehicle automation for his Phd. He got disillusioned and switched majors when a bunch of automakers came out and said they really like the research work, but they'll never build an automated car due to the liability issues.

Well Google's been getting away with it, so I think eventually it might happen. It might just be super helpful steering and throttle control at first... but eventually, the machines will get us :(

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

grover posted:

Sadly, no. She's apparently a pop sensation in Japan- an entirely artificial animated creation with a synthesized voice. And holographically performing at sold-out concerts. And driving Toyotas. :psyduck:

It's downright creepy.

Hell yes! They made an Idoru. The world becomes more like a William Gibson novel every day.

On topic, the Kia version of the Genesis coupe looks pretty drat nice. I like the idea of a RWD Korean TT-RS for 25 large.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Toyota has an excellent, effective new marketing campaign, check out the commercials!
http://www.toyota.com/corollamiku/

Aside, but the Corolla still has a 4-speed auto?

EDIT: Looks like most of their budget cars still have 4-speed autos.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Internet Meme posted:

Aside, but the Corolla still has a 4-speed auto?

Yeah only a 5 speed manual too - the US models are stuck on old tech. The Japanese ones have a CVT as the only option and a dual clutch auto is available in Europe.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

grover posted:

It's downright creepy.

One step closer to transforming fighters...

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PeterWeller posted:

Hell yes! They made an Idoru. The world becomes more like a William Gibson novel every day.

On topic, the Kia version of the Genesis coupe looks pretty drat nice. I like the idea of a RWD Korean TT-RS for 25 large.

Especially since VAG just announced today that they cancelled the Audi R4 and VW Bluesport. Apparently they're again afraid that it will cannibalize Porsche sales.

in fact, that photoshopped Kia actually looks like someone took a speculative rendering of the R4 and slapped a kia logo on it, possibly as a joke.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

Well Google's been getting away with it, so I think eventually it might happen. It might just be super helpful steering and throttle control at first... but eventually, the machines will get us :(

I've done over a thousand highway miles in the last two weeks; the sooner a computer can do that while I yospost from the passenger seat the better.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Scabrous Teat posted:

The best ads lately have been coming from Dodge.

I did like the new Charger, specifically the R/T Plus. Four doors, leather seats, V8 for $32,000. The 100k/5-year powertrain warranty isn't so bad either. I went with a C-class instead but I'm planning on trading up to a Charger when the '12 models roll out.

Some people bitch about the ancient 5-speed mopar transmission, but let me tell you, my C300 has 7 gears and yeah, it shifts smooth but you know what else would shift smoothly? A robot.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Isn't the C300 the only benz available with a 6 speed and not a very good one from what I remember?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
The 6-speed manual didn't really feel right or necessary, but I saw plenty of them in dealer lots anyway. The 7-speed auto is the way to go, it's full of all sorts of high-tech wizardry and responds well to hard driving.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
It is a little ironic that despite that robots ad, the Charger isn't even available with a manual transmission.

Also, the "130 minute ad" joke is I'm assuming a dig at Fast Five, which has this ludicrous sequence where both the police and the hero cars are mostly dodge chargers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJqNlVrxcw8

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

grover posted:

It's downright creepy.

Wait....am I understanding this correctly? There are actual "Miku" concerts?
downright creepy is right.

Cream_Filling posted:

It is a little ironic that despite that robots ad, the Charger isn't even available with a manual transmission.

Also, the "130 minute ad" joke is I'm assuming a dig at Fast Five, which has this ludicrous sequence where both the police and the hero cars are mostly dodge chargers.

drat, for a Fast and Furious movie that scene was pretty good actually. Now I kind of want to see it in theaters.

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 7, 2011

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

travisray2004 posted:

Wait....am I understanding this correctly? There are actual "Miku" concerts?
downright creepy is right.

I just keep thinking about Krieger's fiancée from "Archer."

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Cream_Filling posted:

The physics of this scene are impossible even by movie standards. WTF were they thinking?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

anonumos posted:

The physics of this scene are impossible even by movie standards. WTF were they thinking?

They probably weren't, which is why the movie owns. Go watch it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

mobby_6kl posted:

They probably weren't, which is why the movie owns. Go watch it.
Second. Paul Walker is as wooden an actor as ever, but the movie's fun as hell to watch. Plus, there's only one street race depicted in the whole movie.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BoostCreep posted:

Coupe:
The 3.8L V6 will most likely be getting direct injection, taking the engine from the current 306hp and 266 ft lbs. to 333hp and 291 ft lbs, and the 2.0L turbo will be getting the engine from the 2011 Sonata, which has direct injection as well and pumps 274hp and 269 ft lbs through a twin scroll turbo compared to the '11 model's 210/233 rating. That is a significant bump for what appears to be no big difference in price range. I feel bad for the poor saps that just bought the '11 models. Very reminiscent of the 2008 to 2009 WRX "265" fiasco.

I've been hearing the "sonata engine in new genesis" for awhile now, but 274hp in the genesis would have me giving it serious consideration. That would put it way below the MS3, WRX, and GTI for pricing. You don't get an LSD, but here the base genesis starts at 5k cheaper than the other 3. If the ft-86 is the same price as the genesis I don't see it doing that well.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 7, 2011

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

travisray2004 posted:

drat, for a Fast and Furious movie that scene was pretty good actually. Now I kind of want to see it in theaters.

I think it's actually the highest rated of them on Rotten Tomatoes. Of course, that might just be "this one is pretty good by the (terrible) standard of the series".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

MikeyTsi posted:

I think it's actually the highest rated of them on Rotten Tomatoes. Of course, that might just be "this one is pretty good by the (terrible) standard of the series".

The key thing to note is that a huge majority of critics liked the movie, but they gave it low scores for being liked. So, yeah, it seems that most everyone thinks "well, this movie is good for a dumb action movie" compared to the really high scores you'll see on great movies even if a similar percentage of critics gave it a fresh rating.

edit: for example, Fast Five has an avg. 6.3 out of 10 whereas The King's Speech had an 8.3 or something similar.