Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts
Pulled out more oil from the bike, in total almost a whole quart too much. I know I won't be dealing with that place again if they can screw up putting the right amount of oil in a bike. Now I gotta eliminate the wonderful buzzing windscreen, too bad I snapped one of the plastic screws. Who uses plastic screws, really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I assume it's a wet sump bike? No external oil tank?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

BradleyJamers posted:

Pulled out more oil from the bike, in total almost a whole quart too much. I know I won't be dealing with that place again if they can screw up putting the right amount of oil in a bike. Now I gotta eliminate the wonderful buzzing windscreen, too bad I snapped one of the plastic screws. Who uses plastic screws, really?

I feel that every motorcycle shop does this. They don't measure and they pour till it's in the middle of the sight glass. The worst I've done is like a cup over and I've never been under.

This must work on some kind of bike, cause everybody I know who has taken it to a shop say they have grossly overfilled it.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts
Yea, it's a wet sump. The GS500 has a dipstick, which is more of a pain than a sight glass, so they were probably being extra lazy.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Painted my frame and swingarm.

And my seat came in.

Timing belts and a carb rebuild up next.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

BradleyJamers posted:

Yea, it's a wet sump. The GS500 has a dipstick, which is more of a pain than a sight glass, so they were probably being extra lazy.

Could be a pain like mine, where it's both wet and dry sump, and if you let it sit for more than a few minutes half of the oil drains to the crankcase. Fucker never lets you check the proper oil level.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Had to pick a bike to pin to the curb double park with because of all the bad to the bone, skull-infested TRASHWAGONS and REI-sponsored bikes of Euro origin with stickers featuring Woodsy the Owl and assorted forgotten NPR-approved liberal causes that sounded like a good idea at the time all insisting on taking up two spaces and yes I'm aware this is the sort of run-on sentence I've been taught to avoid but I'm allowed three per year and SOOOOO:

Lucky winner: CRAYVEX

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Marv Hushman posted:

Had to pick a bike to pin to the curb double park with because of all the bad to the bone, skull-infested TRASHWAGONS and REI-sponsored bikes of Euro origin with stickers featuring Woodsy the Owl and assorted forgotten NPR-approved liberal causes that sounded like a good idea at the time all insisting on taking up two spaces and yes I'm aware this is the sort of run-on sentence I've been taught to avoid but I'm allowed three per year and SOOOOO:

Lucky winner: CRAYVEX

It doesn't help when this stupid POS is taking up like four spots.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I did the impossible: removed the carb rack from a V30 Magna. It was a tight squeeze but its off the bike and in the house. I think the boots on it were 27 years old. Will need new ones; I hope they're still made.

Here's hoping the source of the leaking problem is obvious...

What do you think the chances are of me being able to pull it off, replace seals, and put it back on without having to adjust the balance?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

clutchpuck posted:

What do you think the chances are of me being able to pull it off, replace seals, and put it back on without having to adjust the balance?

As long as you don't have to split them all apart, you have a decent chance.

Sir.Tucker
Sep 17, 2006

For the Workforce!
New Exhaust!

Went from nasty ugly mess 4-2, to Vance and Hines Supersport 4-1.

Sir.Tucker fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 5, 2011

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Sir.Tucker posted:

New Exhaust!

Went from nasty ugly mess 4-2, to Vance and Hines Supersport 4-1.

I hope you have some plan on jetting that thing in accurately - could be a bitch.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I finally got around to installing that red windscreen. I'm not sure if its super cool or super nerdy (OR BOTH!)

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
Congrats on installing a vagina on your bike

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Do you explain it by telling people about your avatar?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Ignore these fools; it looks awesome.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
I hide my insecurities about women by make snide remarks about vaginas on the internet.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Forty Two posted:

Congrats on installing a vagina on your bike

Just wait until I post pics of my Cobra Commander outfit on the bike. I'll never feel vagina again. :hurr:

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

Crayvex posted:

pics of my Cobra Commander outfit on the bike.

That's incredibly awesome if you're not bullshitting.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Morons! I have morons in my carpool lane!!

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

A pic of me that someone took at MotorCity Comic Con

Another one of me and an IMPOSTER!

Meh, I'm a huge GI Joe comicbook fan and I always preferred the black version. I promise to post some pics sometime. I just need to talk my wife into being a photographer.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
GI Joe rode a Harley WLA. No vag, unless you count the the rifle scabbard...

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Urmom's vagina is pretty scabbard. And in other news, I'm still waiting for my JDM YO turn signals to show up so I can replace the 80's-tastic ones that the Vino comes with stock.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
Added frame sliders:

and a a tank pad:

to my new VTR.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Pulled a long industrial type staple out of the back tire. Decided to finally go buy a rear stand and new tire and change it out myself. Bought said rear stand, went home, removed wheel, took to shop and got new tire mounted and balanced.

When I got home getting the wheel in was easy enough. Getting the drat thing aligned - holy hell am I retarded. I took photos of the adjusters before removing the wheel and basically set it up the same way. But something bothered me about it so I looked up the string method. Unfortunately I couldn't find any string so I used a gift wrapping ribbon my girlfriend left unattended on a table.

The ribbon was kind of hard to work with, so went back to the internet and read some more guides on how to do this. I then got out fishing line and used that. Put it around the rear wheel so that it just touched the front edges. Aligned the front wheel to be parallel to the line, which moved the bike enough to put the fishing line out of alignment. Repeat a couple times to 'get it right'.

At this point I realized that using the old settings on the adjusters put the back wheel WAY out of whack with the front, and I wonder how I never noticed it. So then I adjusted the adjusters (had to smack the tire a good bit to actually make it move) and tried again. It was within a couple of millimeters so I figure that is good enough.

Tomorrow is a group ride, so hope that the drat thing holds together.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Sweet! My new JDM turn signals showed up in the mail.

By "new" and "JDM", the eBay seller obviously meant "used" and "Chinese". Since he refuses to take returns, I wound up yanking the guts out and modifying them to accept the bulbs and wires from the factory turn signals.

And now the factory tail light looks obnoxiously clunky.

I spray painted some soda bottle caps and used them to plug the holes where the original turn signals were.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

M4rg4r1ne posted:

That is a classy scooter. Much prettier than the disgusting Chinese things floating around my school's campus.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Thanks. The 2-stroke Vino design has been copied by a zillion no-name Chinese manufacturers. I saw one on my (relatively tiny) campus the other day and while it was neat to see a front disc brake on it, all the metal parts had begun to rust already. It couldn't have been more than a few years old, whereas mine's 10 and the only rusty bits are the (soon to be replaced) exhaust and a couple of tiny spots on the frame that you can only see when you remove the foot board.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

GanjamonII posted:

Tomorrow is a group ride, so hope that the drat thing holds together.
To check alignment, go a safe speed and let go of the handlebars. If it starts to pull to either the left or the right, it is out of alignment. This is a more precise, but do understand that you'll also feel any alignment issues that don't originate from the rear, such as twisted front forks.

I typed this up on my phone and I'm never going to do that again.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Cleaned and lubed up the chain (kind of needed it) and then flushed the brakes (seemed to need it a bit more lol)

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
This weekend I took out my carb and cleaned up the exterior of it. I then drove from shop to shop in town trying to convince them that a TK carb is stock on the TW200 and that the jet that they have probably wont fit till after 4 shops someone had one that threaded in correctly.

The bike has been stumbling when at WOT, popping a bit on decel, losing some power after running a while, and the plug is a bit white so everything points to a lean main jet. Hopefully going from 130 to 135 takes care of it.

I also just ordered these parts.

1 x Eco-LucNB-32 (NB-32) = 2,800yen
1 x Les Fender KitLucas (023090-01) = 5,800yen
1 x Fender FRP (420904) = 15,000yen
1 x Tandem Grip (023171-06) = 6,800yen

Ouch, my wallet. Some of those things are retarded expensive for what they are but at this point I'd rather just buy the part than dealing with some shop idiot who says he can make the part in a few days and ends up keeping the bike around for 3 weeks. Sigh, someday I'll have a workbench and cheap welder.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

KARMA! posted:

To check alignment, go a safe speed and let go of the handlebars. If it starts to pull to either the left or the right, it is out of alignment. This is a more precise, but do understand that you'll also feel any alignment issues that don't originate from the rear, such as twisted front forks.

I typed this up on my phone and I'm never going to do that again.

I seemed to have gotten it pretty good actually. I was surprised. Bike tracked pretty much straight when the pavement was dead flat, and followed the gradient of the road a little otherwise.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
I'm a little late, but on Saturday I removed the front fairings to replaced some padding that had worn through and caused some wicked vibration in the 4-5k rpm range on the Versys.

Last night I finally pulled the seat apart and shaved off the bottom foam so my butt rests into it nice and comfy like. Before, I was always sliding into the tank, and that's not comfortable on my crotch.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yesterday I finally rode up to the Harley dealership to pick up an in-stock belt tension gauge. Since I took my wheels off to get re-tired, I eyeballed the whole alignment and belt tension process based on a poke at the belt and the hash marks on the axle pushers.

I checked the tension [it was on the tight side of spec] so I loosened it to the loose side, presumably putting less load on the transmission bearings - just for peace of mind.

Then I re-aligned the rear wheel using the spinning-wheel belt tracking method - manually turning the wheel and helping the belt to the center of the pulley and then watching which edge of the pulley it favors while spinning unmolested, adjusting the alignment as necessary.

I've got this whole belt drive maintenance thing down to a science, assuming it doesn't break. Replacement means removing the swing arm.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Sometimes I really wish eccentric axle based tension adjustment systems were more common :(

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Finally did the fork seals again on the CB900C.

Mental note, be sure to make sure there is no air pressure left in the forks before pulling a drain bolt on the slider, 10wt oil will shoot out spraying anything within 10 feet with something you really dont want to be covered in.

The All-Balls seals I put in looked good except I might have put them in upside down causing the leaks. Put in "Classic" seals that looked more OEM than the All-balls and came with new washers that go in between the seal and the snapring.

The forks and sliders have no pits or scratches that would cause leaks. I am sure I just put the seals in upside down.

Reassembled and filled the forks up with 280cc-ish of fork oil and took it for a 60 spin. Only a little bit of oil seaped up above the dust seal and I think thats due to me slightly over filling the forks.

Time will tell if this fixes the issue.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Cleaned and chain in the rain instead of riding.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Since my wreck I have been planning on ripping the Shadow VLX apart. And it started yesterday. Back end is fully disassembled. Going to start the frame chop and remove the fender sub frame and weld in a cross bar for the solo seat mount in the back.

Then I have to go and build a new back fender for it and move some wiring around. Good excuse to go to my buddy's machine shop and have some fun.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Today I rode 40 km with my right pannier unlocked! Scattered three days of mail across the highways and byways of Bergen! Paying my bills has never been easier!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

Today I rode 40 km with my right pannier unlocked! Scattered three days of mail across the highways and byways of Bergen! Paying my bills has never been easier!

I tried to do this on the ride in to work but my bills remained firmly ensconced in the internet.