Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Azzmo posted:

Watch this while listening to "All the Wine" by The National. It's like a sad music video piece showcasing one of the last gently caress yous from George Lucas to the fans.

George Lucas: "I'm a perfect piece of rear end, like every Californian" :puts on sunglasses:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

I like to wonder what would've happened to the Star Wars franchise had it been written by someone more competent... but then it makes me sad.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

I've been reading Star Wars: Legacy.

In some ways, Cade reminds me of Anakin. :emo:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Torael_7 posted:

I've been reading Star Wars: Legacy.

In some ways, Cade reminds me of Anakin. :emo:
Angst is very "in" right now.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Angst is very "in" right now.

That's what depresses me with the EU. I haven't read wookiepedia in a while so forgive me if there's something more AFTER the whole cade thing, but it seems after Order 66 the universe is in decline. it gets darker and darker, and after the whole death of the Empire thing, there's a stronger Empire and in the far future Jedi are extinct again, etc.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

ZeeToo posted:

we really should just paste that into the thread starter. It's been asked for twice over the past three pages.

Edit: Or better yet, put it at the top of each page and make it so a 5 second clip of "Duel of the Fates" repeats in the background.

NeonTurtle fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 7, 2011

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

NeonTurtle posted:

we really should just paste that into the thread starter. It's been asked for twice over the past three pages.

Maybe there's another thread out there somewhere watching us. With a betting pool for how many minutes it'll take us to come up with a requested image. Like that one, or the lightsaber-knees fellow, or the horse pilot, or Han vs. the Space Otter, or... :tinfoil:

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

Maybe there's another thread out there somewhere watching us. With a betting pool for how many minutes it'll take us to come up with a requested image. Like that one, or the lightsaber-knees fellow, or the horse pilot, or Han vs. the Space Otter, or... :tinfoil:

EverythingWrongWithStarWars.ppt

:v:

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Yeah I didn't really check to see if it was around, I didn't see it in the OP and I was trying to explain it to some buds while drinking last night. Thanks for that amazing piece of poo poo.

Z. Beeblebrox IV
Mar 1, 2007

by angerbot

ZeeToo posted:

Surprisingly, the most mesmerizing part of that is their boots. Did the crew wax the floor before they shot that scene or something?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Daynab posted:

That's what depresses me with the EU. I haven't read wookiepedia in a while so forgive me if there's something more AFTER the whole cade thing, but it seems after Order 66 the universe is in decline. it gets darker and darker, and after the whole death of the Empire thing, there's a stronger Empire and in the far future Jedi are extinct again, etc.

I know a lot of people don't like the NJO because it's so dark, but it really did end on a pretty upbeat note. I honestly blame Troy Denning for the path the EU has taken in recent years, since he took over the post-ROTJ storyline after the NJO ended and since then every new series has been ten times as retarded and "edgy" than before.

And whether you liked the NJO or not I think everyone can agree that Dark Nest, LOTF, and FOTJ make the NJO look like a stunning masterpiece in retrospect.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There's no rape speculation in the NJO, that's always good.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Chairman Capone posted:

I know a lot of people don't like the NJO because it's so dark, but it really did end on a pretty upbeat note. I honestly blame Troy Denning for the path the EU has taken in recent years, since he took over the post-ROTJ storyline after the NJO ended and since then every new series has been ten times as retarded and "edgy" than before.
I think the problem with the post-NJO books is that Troy Denning didn't understand why people liked certain sections of the NJO.

Denning's only book in the series was Star by Star, which was basically the "Han is Encased in Carbonite" point in the story - the good guys lose, the bad guys win, and the best hope for the galaxy dies pointlessly in a swamp. It was followed by a couple more books that can basically be summed up as "The Force hates you, everyone is probably doomed". All three are regarded as being pretty good (even if Star by Star just kind of squeaks by).

What Denning got from that, unfortunately, is that fans wanted grim, dark stories with no happy ending - rather than the correct observation that fans like a dark second act, followed by the heroes cleaning house in the third. The post-NJO books have basically stuck in the second act, never progressing or having a positive resolution. And since things never progress, the stakes keep having to get higher and higher and the consequences worse and worse for there to be any story at all.

And there's also bug orgies, which is stupid on it's own.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 8, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Casimir Radon posted:

There's no rape speculation in the NJO, that's always good.

Just stupid needless violent death and Mandalorian wankery.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Powered Descent posted:

or the horse pilot

You rang?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Just stupid needless violent death and Mandalorian wankery.
Boba Fett and some guys showed up at the end of a chapter, and that was it for Mandalorian wankery. The NJO was completed before Traviss started her EU raping career.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Casimir Radon posted:

Boba Fett and some guys showed up at the end of a chapter, and that was it for Mandalorian wankery. The NJO was completed before Traviss started her EU raping career.

I guess in retrospect it wasn't that bad, compared to how bad it got later.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Traviss took the chapter from The Unifying Force the Mandalorians appeared in and wrote an ebook tie-in to LOTF that involved the Mandalorians finding out about the Vong in advance and learning all about them and being the only ones brave enough to fight them and trying their best to tell the Jedi and New Republic about them only for the Jedi to shun the kindly Mandalorian offers of friendship.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Traviss took the chapter from The Unifying Force the Mandalorians appeared in and wrote an ebook tie-in to LOTF that involved the Mandalorians finding out about the Vong in advance and learning all about them and being the only ones brave enough to fight them and trying their best to tell the Jedi and New Republic about them only for the Jedi to shun the kindly Mandalorian offers of friendship.

And yet, there are people who see her departure as a bad thing.

Not to say that it's been nothing but wondrous strides forward without her, but still...

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
http://starwars.com/fans/media/d23startours/index.html

Why did they have to completely get rid of the old Star Tours?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Throb Robinson posted:

http://starwars.com/fans/media/d23startours/index.html

Why did they have to completely get rid of the old Star Tours?
George hates everything that happened before 1999, so he declared a Jihad against it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I guess in retrospect it wasn't that bad, compared to how bad it got later.

The Mandalorians showed up in the NJO for literally all of one chapter. Trust me, I have a borderline shameful repository of knowledge about that series.,

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Flavor Bear posted:

Here's a question.
What happens if one drops a lightsaber on the ground, point-down?
It's sort of been answered but it depends on the lightsaber, in general most supposedly have dead-man style switches or biometric scanners that realize the owner's not holding it anymore and turn it off but some don't. Actually, I think in one of the Coruscant Nights books they actually use "just drop the lightsaber point down so it cuts through floor after floor eventually blowing up a nuclear reactor" as a strategy in a fight.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
That dead man's switch is bullshit and I hope it's the exception in the EU and not the rule.
loving Darth Vader throws his at Luke in ROTJ :colbert:

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B00421A4EK

What sort of personn would wear this in public?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Nckdictator posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B00421A4EK

What sort of personn would wear this in public?

I like that they sell it in Medium, heh

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Flavor Bear posted:

That dead man's switch is bullshit and I hope it's the exception in the EU and not the rule.

Hey if you're good enough to toss a lightsaber at someone you're probably good enough to use the Force to keep the lightsaber on :colbert:

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Bullshit. They've got a toggle switch.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Flavor Bear posted:

Vader's saber throw in ROTJ and Yoda's in ROTS are the only occasions in the entire series, in which a lightsaber did not deactivate upon leaving its wielder's hand. Every other time (be it through clumsiness, dismemberment or death), the sabers have switched off automatically.

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!
I figure if this isn't the right place for this question, nowhere is:

During long space flights in an X-Wing (or other single-seat fighter), where does the pilot go poo-poo?

I am terrified that there might be a canon answer to this question. :ohdear:

angrylinuxgeek posted:

I like that they sell it in Medium, heh

Even better, extra-large is 65% more expensive. Higher demand? You decide.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I don't think it's ever mentioned anywhere but since the flight suits are basically emergency space suits, they probably have a diaper system like our astronauts.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
In their Space Socks and Space Mountain Dew bottles. Where else?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

basx posted:

During long space flights in an X-Wing (or other single-seat fighter), where does the pilot go poo-poo?

Even better, extra-large is 65% more expensive. Higher demand? You decide.

One explanation is nobody does that except Jedi. Most other starfighter deployments have them launching from a space-based carrier platform.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

arioch posted:

One explanation is nobody does that except Jedi. Most other starfighter deployments have them launching from a space-based carrier platform.

I like to think this is the reason why Wraith Squadron kept a shuttle around.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

basx posted:

In one of the Wraith Squadron books the horse uses a hose and bladder system when he had to sit in his cockpit for three days waiting for a signal to go strafe a spaceport.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

arioch posted:

That's a Jedi ability? Force Constipation?

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
No it's more of a hibernation thing. Luke uses it at least twice in the Zahn trilogy if I remember correctly.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Der Luftwaffle posted:

The next EU superweapon should be a gigantic ball of lightsabers with blades outwards.

This is a page old, but I read it and instantly thought of a lightmace, and how stupid a lightmace would be.

Please tell me there is no lightmace?

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Grendels Dad posted:

This is a page old, but I read it and instantly thought of a lightmace, and how stupid a lightmace would be.

Please tell me there is no lightmace?

Kinda. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightclub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

Markoff Chaney posted:

Kinda. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightclub

But that's just a slightly longer than normal lightsaber. Really not that exotic or funny at all, even if it has a stupid name..