Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
2008 kawi EX250 race bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Veritas posted:

so jealous :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Veritas posted:

2008 kawi EX250 race bike

Where are you racing/who are you racing with? The 250 number is excellent.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

SaNChEzZ posted:

Went to go pick up a package at the UPS hub today, had to stop and take this picture THREE BLOCKS FROM MY HOUSE as I'm still kind of bewildered because I just moved in.

KARMA! posted:

... A fence?

It's keeping him *in*. He's trapped in his very own Truman Show.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

Z3n posted:

Where are you racing/who are you racing with? The 250 number is excellent.

thanks. i race CMRA (central motorcycle roadracing association). texas tracks, with one track in oklahoma. picked up this 250 from a WERA seller in march of last year, i wanted a dedicated track/race bike (i can dig up my purchase/build thread from our local forum if there is any interest). i bought the bike and did my licensing the same day. this is my second season racing, i was 3rd in points for one of my classes but i missed the last race weekend, and it looks like i'll be missing the next one as well. :(

250's are stupid fun.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows

My first bike, 77 CB550. I picked it up from a friend for a song a while back and it sat around (with an occasional ride around the parking lot) until I finished up my MSF and got my license. I rode dirt bikes for about 15 years (haven't ridden in about 5, all the places I used to go on long island are gone!) so I'm comfortable on two wheels, just some getting used to riding on actual roads. It's fun as heck though, and just needs some work to make it a bit more legal. Turn signals and mirrors will be added (actually added a single mirror today to give me some idea of what's behind me, but it's not enough).

And cause I'm cheesy, a little photoshop of what I'd like to do with the seat.

Safety comes first though, signals and mirrors are a priority. Luckily all the wiring is still there, so I should be able to rig something up pretty easily.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

^^^^^^^^^That's a sexy cafe bike!^^^^^^^^

Veritas posted:

awesome 250 race stuff

Is there a preference for gen 4 vs gen 3 (or vice versa) for the 250 class? I'd love to race a 250 sometime in the future, mind sharing costs of a typical race weekend?

VVVVV Hah, first I typed out: "mind sharing the costs so we can compare to Zen racing his gxr" but hey you came along anyway :p.

Edit: fixed, ya sorry I always get those suzuki and yamaha ss confused for some reason

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 12, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Veritas posted:

thanks. i race CMRA (central motorcycle roadracing association). texas tracks, with one track in oklahoma. picked up this 250 from a WERA seller in march of last year, i wanted a dedicated track/race bike (i can dig up my purchase/build thread from our local forum if there is any interest). i bought the bike and did my licensing the same day. this is my second season racing, i was 3rd in points for one of my classes but i missed the last race weekend, and it looks like i'll be missing the next one as well. :(

250's are stupid fun.

Have you had a chance to track a 600 at all? I'm also curious about 250 race costs...I keep trying to convince myself I should race a 250/650 rather than a 600, but I just can't bring myself to go back. :(

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Ptolemaeus posted:

My new bike. A 2010 Harley Davidson Forty Eight I picked up with 1k miles and no drops. It is my first bike, and I just finished the edge course an am in love. As of today I finally have my endorsement and spent all morning riding around back roads just exploring for the hell of it.

Does the clutch lever feel like it weighs 1000 pounds?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Saga posted:

I feel this is how a Harley should look.

It's just better for all concerned... :devil:

Goddam I love that motorcycle and it makes my skin crawl that it's on a loving trailer.

I'd put 20 thousand miles on that / year.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
My bike, before application of HRC sticker. Another boring (awesome) new 2000 SV650. Awesome except for a faulty "low gas" sensor the PO neglected to mention, which stranded me on the side of this highway. :argh:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

omgitstheinternet posted:

My first bike, 77 CB550.

Why are all the first bikes becoming infinitely cooler than a lot of 5th and 6th bikes? What happened to the Twinstar 185 with apes, 70s king/queen seat, and 80lb luggage rack hazing ritual? THIS IS A CLEAR BREACH OF TRADITION.

Nice ride.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bucephalus posted:

It's keeping him *in*. He's trapped in his very own Truman Show.

He has just moved in to the 2nd level of his own GTA. That's the fence inexplicably blocking access to level 3.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Russian Bear posted:

^^^^^^^^^That's a sexy cafe bike!^^^^^^^^

Is there a preference for gen 4 vs gen 3 (or vice versa) for the 250 class? I'd love to race a 250 sometime in the future, mind sharing costs of a typical race weekend?

VVVVV Hah, first I typed out: "mind sharing the costs so we can compare to Zen racing his r6" but hey you came along anyway :p.

r6", but he said he had r12"?

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009

AnimalChin posted:

Does the clutch lever feel like it weighs 1000 pounds?

Yes, I thought my left hand would fall off after riding for two hours yesterday.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Marv Hushman posted:

Why are all the first bikes becoming infinitely cooler than a lot of 5th and 6th bikes? What happened to the Twinstar 185 with apes, 70s king/queen seat, and 80lb luggage rack hazing ritual? THIS IS A CLEAR BREACH OF TRADITION.

Chinese GY6 scooter -> 200 Twinstar -> 650 Nighthawk -> 1500 Intruder. What do I win?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bucephalus posted:

Chinese GY6 scooter -> 200 Twinstar -> 650 Nighthawk -> 1500 Intruder. What do I win?

A functional motorcycle! :v:

Zool posted:

r6", but he said he had r12"?

I'd only ever claim I had an R6 when I had a GSX-R. Doubling my CCs is just too much.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
The 929 is finally rideable and 95% legal. Bonus points if you can figure out what the missing 5% is. Thing is ugly as hell and fast as piss. Massively more planted with the rebuilt forks. Definitely need to get a steering dampener though. Putting wheelies down is a bit unnerving.

Also, bleeding brakes sucks.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 11, 2011

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Gunna guess no horn

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

The 929 is finally rideable and 95% legal. Bonus points if you can figure out what the missing 5% is. Thing is ugly as hell and fast as piss. Massively more planted with the rebuilt forks. Definitely need to get a steering dampener though. Putting wheelies down is a bit unnerving.

Reflectors and license plate light!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e: nevermind

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

pr0zac posted:

I don't see any mirrors...

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Actually does have a horn, stuck a ridiculously loud one on yesterday. You can sorta see it in the first picture between the forks, to the right of the wire-loom-tumor. The license plate light, lack of mirrors, and the 2010 registration sticker cause I seem to have misplaced the 2011 one somewhere in all my moving the last few months.

Are reflectors required in CA? I'm kind of aiming to have the world's first completely legal ratbike.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
The 2 up seat looks weird without the tail fairing. Other than that it looks pretty decent. You're going to get mistaken for a stuntah, they love 929's.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
By quorum and decree of the CA governance board, I bring you the official first bike recommendation:

This also concludes the "Tell Me What Bike To Buy" thread. Carry on. If Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath was able to suck it up, so can you.

cornbread jones
Jan 17, 2009
2001 VFR that I picked up this past weekend. The Jetsons whine of the gear driven cams makes me happy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

Actually does have a horn, stuck a ridiculously loud one on yesterday. You can sorta see it in the first picture between the forks, to the right of the wire-loom-tumor. The license plate light, lack of mirrors, and the 2010 registration sticker cause I seem to have misplaced the 2011 one somewhere in all my moving the last few months.

Are reflectors required in CA? I'm kind of aiming to have the world's first completely legal ratbike.

Your turn signals are not legal by the letter of the law, both from a spacing and a visibility component. Are the headlights DOT approved?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

Are the headlights DOT approved?

The bottom one is off a 999 so probably. The highbeam I've no clue. And yeah, theres no way to rebuild a bike to complete letter of the law specs.

orthod0ks posted:

The 2 up seat looks weird without the tail fairing.

The best part is the seat doubles as a trunk and has a locking mechanism. But you can just reach in and pop it open without using the key. Need to fab up something to cover stuff so my Power Commander doesn't disappear one day and to prevent rain from soaking everything.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

The bottom one is off a 999 so probably. The highbeam I've no clue. And yeah, theres no way to rebuild a bike to complete letter of the law specs.

Actually, you totally can. Use DOT legal signals off of a motorcycle, make sure they fit the DOT guidelines on height, spacing, and visibility, and you're golden. Of course, you can still get hassled by the cops for it, but you'll crush them in court.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

BuckTurgidson posted:

2001 VFR that I picked up this past weekend. The Jetsons whine of the gear driven cams makes me happy.

VFRs with race cans are a good thing.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

BuckTurgidson posted:

Saw a lovely one of these the other weekend, unfortunately the rider was wearing the most horrible shoes I could think to ride in (at least they were shoes) and a poorly fit jacket :(

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

Russian Bear posted:

VVVVV Hah, first I typed out: "mind sharing the costs so we can compare to Zen racing his gxr" but hey you came along anyway :p.

Z3n posted:

Have you had a chance to track a 600 at all? I'm also curious about 250 race costs...I keep trying to convince myself I should race a 250/650 rather than a 600, but I just can't bring myself to go back. :(

cost wise, its pretty good compared to a 600. lets break it down.
gate fee: $15

entry fees: $100 for my 2 sprints. i race Formula 4 ($45) and E superstock ($50) +$5 since in register the day of.

endurace: $35 per hour, split equally among my teammate. i stick to the shorter 2-3 hour endurance since i don't wanna beat up my engine for a long rear end time. i did do a 6hr endurance race, and that was split among 4 people.

so for a typical race weekend, i'll be right under or slightly over $200 after i factor in food and gas money.

tires: BT003r/s rear (in a 140) i used to get them for $100, but i paid $120 for the last one. i ran pretty much a WHOLE SEASON and trackdays in between, on 1 rear tire.

for the front, i used to to run a BT003 pro soft compound (in a 120). these run around $140-$150 and i have to get them from our race distributor, since they are a race tire. i'm now running a Dunlop Ntech front, a buddy sold me his race takeoff for $20. the dunlops last a LOOOOOONG time. plenty of tread left on, i'll most likely throw another Ntech on there if i can get it for $30 lol.

oil changes: $30 (if i buy a new filter). i change the oil every other race weekend, or 3-4 trackdays. if i do an endurance, oil will be changed before the next race.

and Zen,
i started off on a ninja 650r. which i still ride on the street. i've ridden friend's 600s on the track.i tend to take it easy since i don't wanna bin a someone else's bike. takes me a bit to get used to coming off a 250. i'm thinking about getting a race ready SV, to tempting.

let me dig up a thread on 250 racing costs. i'll make a new one on here.

here is a vid from our E superstock race, at the season opener. my friend was running a go pro, and i ended up being in front of her for the majority of the race. check out my pass at 4:19, i came in way hot and ran wide =(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVXGDilfxgA&feature=player_embedded

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's amazing how much 600s get you on tires alone, christ. Your entire race budget would probably fit in my tire costs alone :(

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
i wanna move try a bigger bike, but its hard to justify the costs. the fast guys around here buy a brand new set of dunlops for close to $500. i can't and won't do that. plus, there is no way you can come off the 250 and not have a big poo poo eating grin on your face. my teammate is a body builder, over six feet 240lbs easy, dude says he likes endurance racing my bike more than racing his gsxr 1000. but like i said, i'm reeeeally thinking of picking up an SV.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BuckTurgidson posted:

That looks like mine but with gold wheels! Mine also has an obnoxiously loud Vance & Hines pipe that I think I am going to get rid of.

cornbread jones
Jan 17, 2009
The Akrapovic sounds amazing (this lovely clip I found does it no justice). It seems subdued compared to the Delkevic cans on my EX-500, which are a hair away from being obnoxiously loud. I'm not sure they sell the VFR 800 Akrapovics in the US anymore, so I'd better be nice to mine.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

omgitstheinternet posted:

Diggin this bike.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I had a delkevic on a 5th gen VFR and I thought it sounded very nice and wasn't too loud.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Honestly...the KTM is a really great bike, but after something like 24 chain drive bikes and a shitload of miles, I'm just really tired of lubing chains. The GL500 shafty was pretty cool for that. I got offered an oddball trade on the KTM and decided to go for it.

I guess I got close with the Austrians, but what I really needed was some Bavarian quality. :shobon: Also, I'm a sucker for stacked headlights. Maybe I'll buy a KTM 300cc 2t woods bike to keep some orange in my life. Plus, yaknow, no chance of getting arrested on my commute on this bad boy. Growing up, bit by bit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

Honestly...the KTM is a really great bike, but after something like 24 chain drive bikes and a shitload of miles, I'm just really tired of lubing chains. The GL500 shafty was pretty cool for that. I got offered an oddball trade on the KTM and decided to go for it.

I guess I got close with the Austrians, but what I really needed was some Bavarian quality. :shobon: Also, I'm a sucker for stacked headlights. Maybe I'll buy a KTM 300cc 2t woods bike to keep some orange in my life. Plus, yaknow, no chance of getting arrested on my commute on this bad boy. Growing up, bit by bit!

Garmin, aerostitch and piaa are in your future, also a career in dentistry. Good luck.