Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

Selective Service? Yeah I wouldn't much give a gently caress. If they want to find you they will.

I'm not worried about being drafted, I just want to know if I forgetting to notify them about getting a change of a address will hurt me if I tried to get a student loan or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
If it worries you so much then update them. It shouldn't really matter though as I'd be seriously shocked if they went to any sort of effort to see other than you checking that you have registered on the form.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I feel safe in saying that as long as you can tell them your Selective Service number then you will be OK.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

BrandonGK posted:

I'm not worried about being drafted, I just want to know if I forgetting to notify them about getting a change of a address will hurt me if I tried to get a student loan or something.

You will be fine. I can't believe people even sweat poo poo like this. How do you make it through a day?

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Speaking of which, if for some crazy almost impossibly unlikely reason the draft was reinstated, would those who already did a certain amount of time be exempt? I wonder...never going to happen though.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Our Gay Apparel posted:

Speaking of which, if for some crazy almost impossibly unlikely reason the draft was reinstated, would those who already did a certain amount of time be exempt? I wonder...never going to happen though.

I was under the impression that having a DD214 meant you were no longer draftable, though I can't quote you litany and verse to back it up.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

BrandonGK posted:

Student loan applications just ask if you registered for Selective Service when you turned 18. They give no fucks if you updated your address.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Our Gay Apparel posted:

If you're holding a DD214 that says "Honorable", you're exempt from the draft, as you are if you're older than 26.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

There's a joke in there about my ETS date being a month after I turn 26. I just can't find it. And I'll probably have to re-up for a year or two anyway.

At least we know the draft is most likely never going to happen again.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

BrandonGK posted:

I registered for the draft when I was 18, but I moved around a bit and I forgot to notify for change of address. I'm 26 and I'm interested in student grants, and I was wondering if failure to notify would affect anything, and if so, what if anything I can do to rectify the situation?

You are SO hosed when we fight Vietnam again.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
A new draft wouldn't work. By the time you got half the recruits to a weight where they wouldn't shatter their knees on the first run in basic the war would be loving over already.

When I get out I am going to give no fucks about the draft. Bring it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
You have to register when you turn 18. Past that, give no fucks about Selective Service for the rest of your life. We promise.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

GD_American posted:

You have to register when you turn 18. Past that, give no fucks about Selective Service for the rest of your life. We promise.

Beat 'em to the punch, really.

"No motherfucker is going to draft ME for some dumbass war! I'm going to sign up for it voluntarily! Suck on that, Uncle Sam!"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Defleshed posted:

If you're holding a DD214 that says "Honorable", you're exempt from the draft, as you are if you're older than 26.

Did they change this post-Vietnam? I remember up to 45 was technically eligible but they never had to go anywhere that high on the age group at all

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.
The Lottery: A lottery based on birthdays determines the order in which registered men are called up by Selective Service. The first to be called, in a sequence determined by the lottery, will be men whose 20th birthday falls during the calendar year the induction takes place, followed, if needed, by those aged 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 19 and 18 year olds (in that order).

(http://www.sss.gov/seq.htm)

4-A Registrant who has completed military service.

(http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=c9263bf348f727164989152084957761&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title32/32cfr1630_main_02.tpl)

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Is there a GiPer JWICS email list like SIPR?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nice try Bradley Manning.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

Nice try Bradley Manning.

:negative:

My cover...

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Hope you enjoy your *torture!!!!

*Slightly unpleasant prison treatment

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

GD_American posted:

Did they change this post-Vietnam? I remember up to 45 was technically eligible but they never had to go anywhere that high on the age group at all

26 is the age limit where you are no longer required to be registered. Like someone else said, it's not like it matters. Our pool of age-eligible draftees are 75% disgusting fatasses.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Can someone recommend a book about the beginnings of OEF? Weeding through the poo poo written about a current conflict is a real pain in the rear end.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Casimir Radon posted:

Can someone recommend a book about the beginnings of OEF? Weeding through the poo poo written about a current conflict is a real pain in the rear end.

Ghost Wars by Steve Coll is pretty much a must read for everything prior to 9/11, like it says all the way from the initial Soviet invasion to September 10th, 2001. It is excellent, by far the best book I've seen on the topic. Absolutely no ":2bong: Rethuglican warmongers, man" or ":fsmug: drat those Lieberal Democrats and their terrorist loving ways," just the facts: good, bad, and ugly.

Not a Good Day to Die by Sean Naylor is excellent as well. It's about Operation Anaconda and the battle on Roberts Ridge, and doesn't pull any punches regarding the incompetence of the higher-ups in the U.S. command structure.

I know those might not be what you're looking for, since they kind leave a gap right during the initial invasion, but I haven't yet read any of the ones that detail the actual initial invasion...Horse Soldiers is about the Special Forces dudes that provided support to the Northern Alliance as they overran the Taliban. It's supposed to pretty good, but I've also heard that it's pretty hard over on the :patriot: AMERICA gently caress YEAH end of the spectrum, so take that for what it's worth I guess.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
edit: moved to PCS thread

DEVILDOGOOORAH fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 10, 2011

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

Ghost Wars by Steve Coll is pretty much a must read for everything prior to 9/11, like it says all the way from the initial Soviet invasion to September 10th, 2001. It is excellent, by far the best book I've seen on the topic. Absolutely no ":2bong: Rethuglican warmongers, man" or ":fsmug: drat those Lieberal Democrats and their terrorist loving ways," just the facts: good, bad, and ugly.

Not a Good Day to Die by Sean Naylor is excellent as well. It's about Operation Anaconda and the battle on Roberts Ridge, and doesn't pull any punches regarding the incompetence of the higher-ups in the U.S. command structure.

I know those might not be what you're looking for, since they kind leave a gap right during the initial invasion, but I haven't yet read any of the ones that detail the actual initial invasion...Horse Soldiers is about the Special Forces dudes that provided support to the Northern Alliance as they overran the Taliban. It's supposed to pretty good, but I've also heard that it's pretty hard over on the :patriot: AMERICA gently caress YEAH end of the spectrum, so take that for what it's worth I guess.
Thanks, I'll check those out.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
So one of the "special" kids on my ship is getting the boot, and more than likely getting a general discharge, and he has been asking about how this is going to affect his ability to get employment. Anybody have any clue about this? I am under the impression that you don't have to disclose your discharge from the military, but I can't say that I have given the issue much thought myself.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Unless he's applying for something that's background-intensive, I doubt it.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

bengy81 posted:

So one of the "special" kids on my ship is getting the boot, and more than likely getting a general discharge, and he has been asking about how this is going to affect his ability to get employment. Anybody have any clue about this? I am under the impression that you don't have to disclose your discharge from the military, but I can't say that I have given the issue much thought myself.

The only ones that are supposed to be reported are Bad Conduct Discharge (BCD) or Dishonorable Discharge (DD) since they are punitive discharges and are awarded at a court martial. They are the same as having a federal conviction, and most jobs ask if you've ever been convicted at trial.

Presumably the idiot on your ship is getting ADSEPed, meaning the worst he can get is an Other Then Honorable (OTH), but is most likely going to get a General Under Honorable Condidions since it's a lot less of a pain in the dick to give out for the command. If he gets a general he's Scott free, thanks for playing. An OTH will effect his GI Bill last I checked, but he doesn't have to report it to his employers or anything.

Of course that doesn't mean that smart/savvy prior service employer can't or won't figure it out and look poorly on our young protagonist but, since he'll probably just end up going to work at McDonald's, he should be fine.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 11, 2011

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

bengy81 posted:

Yeah, unless he's going for federal work (and maybe not even then), most civilian employers don't bother asking about discharge status. He can just be nice and vague on his resume about his time in service and only the saltiest of HR professionals will take the time to inquire.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Like I said in the Navy thread, I had to get the big toenail on my right foot removed yesterday due to knicking it halfway off putting my boot on yesterday morning.

Any words of wisdom from the GiP contingent?

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
I've never lost a big toenail but all the other one's I ever lost didnt bother me after a few days and they grew back? What's the question though?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Like I said in the Navy thread, I had to get the big toenail on my right foot removed yesterday due to knicking it halfway off putting my boot on yesterday morning.

Trim your toenails more often?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

I've never lost a big toenail but all the other one's I ever lost didnt bother me after a few days and they grew back? What's the question though?

Well that is the question really. I have no experience with it, and didn't think it was as simple of a recovery as everyone was making it sound.

Parselmouth
Feb 4, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Well that is the question really. I have no experience with it, and didn't think it was as simple of a recovery as everyone was making it sound.

I lost a big toenail once and it grew back in like a month. It's no biggy.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Wrap a bit of gauze lightly around it, and tie your shoelaces loosely. Generally, give your toenail time to grow back and avoid irritating the flesh underneath.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I've had one removed from each foot. The first went fine. The second...well, the replacement grew back hosed up. It's awkward and makes running less pleasant (I hated running anyway). Basically it grew in kind of a mild arch...it doesn't rest along the nailbed like it should, there's a small gap.

:)

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I had to get my big toenail cut off before a surgery to get a bone spur out. (It was poking out of my skin, and the nail was growing around it, loving nasty.) Best advice I would give you is to keep it clean, maybe put some gauze around it daily to protect your toe, and when you don't need to wear boots let it get some air. It'll take a month or two to grow back completely.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Uniform question: I just found out (like 1 hour ago) that I have to go meet an international exchange soldier at the airport tomorrow night and drive him to camp grayling so he can attend training with us for the next two weeks. He's a British corporal. I'm not getting paid but am acting in an official capacity and will be driving the GSA to move him. Should I wear my uniform to pick him up? If I do I'm probably rocking ACU's, but I have no idea if he'll be traveling in uniform or not or whether it would even be appropriate for me to wear a uniform. Any input?

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
WWCSMD?

You're an ambassador or some poo poo

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

zharmad posted:

Uniform question: I just found out (like 1 hour ago) that I have to go meet an international exchange soldier at the airport tomorrow night and drive him to camp grayling so he can attend training with us for the next two weeks. He's a British corporal. I'm not getting paid but am acting in an official capacity and will be driving the GSA to move him. Should I wear my uniform to pick him up? If I do I'm probably rocking ACU's, but I have no idea if he'll be traveling in uniform or not or whether it would even be appropriate for me to wear a uniform. Any input?

If you're operating in an official capacity/under orders to pick him up, I probably would. It'll at least make it easier for him to find you if he's not traveling in uniform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Normally I would say 'No' since I've driven GSAs before to drop/pick up guys for a rotator flight.

However, they were my own guys. Given that it's a foreign service member, I would want someone to show up in uniform and act professional. Just a way of showing respect and pride in your service.

Wow, I'm sounding like my old NCOs....

• Locked thread