Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Okay, so now I want to try out Floris expanded mod now that I've played Vanilla for a while. If I've already used TweakMB to change a few basic things (companion whining, and especially there not being a ransom broker in every town's tavern), can I still install Floris' or do I need to reinstall the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

You don't need to reinstall anything. M&B mods are completely separate from each other, and go into different folders. You select the package you want to load at startup (the default being 'native').

Trampy Vampy
Mar 21, 2008

It don't mean a thing,
If it ain't got that swing.

Dr Snofeld posted:

Is it just me, or is it really hard starting out in Khergit territory? I want to play with a Khergit army but before I can recruit more than a handful of basic guys I get chased down by groups of a dozen or more raiders on horseback who kick my rear end.

Definitely not just you. Since the bandits in that area are all mounted, their travel speed is usually much higher than yours, even with much higher numbers. The Forest bandits in the Rhodok lands or the Tundra Bandits in the Veigar areas are poorly equipped and much easier fare. I like starting out on the Tundra guys with just my companions, then moving on to the nearby Sea Raiders when you can handle them. The desert bandits are good for free crappy horses for your companions once you're strong enough for them though.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Noblesse Oblige posted:

The Forest bandits in the Rhodok lands or the Tundra Bandits in the Veigar areas are poorly equipped and much easier fare.

I'll say this, though, with respect to the Forest Bandits--make sure you bring a shield, or at least a handful of cannon fodder recruits to charge in at them or a companion or two to soak up arrows, because comparatively larger groups of these ones will fire arrows at you almost continuously if the map is relatively flat or open and can be very difficult to safely approach and attack early on when you have little in the way of backup or heavy armor.

Once you get some melee guys up close they pull out melee weapons themselves and are easily slaughtered due to their lack of any armor or a shield. But early on, groups of forest bandits are almost as difficult to solo as groups of mounted Steppe/Desert Bandits, at least in my experience.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost

Dr Snofeld posted:

Is it just me, or is it really hard starting out in Khergit territory? I want to play with a Khergit army but before I can recruit more than a handful of basic guys I get chased down by groups of a dozen or more raiders on horseback who kick my rear end.

See: thread title.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Chair In A Basket posted:

Khergits, not steppe bandits. Khergits gather round and chase your poor infantry army's rear end midgame and turn it into ribbons. I haven't played vanilla warband in like a year but I still remember fleeing from them and half a map away they are still on my tail, finally catching up. What can midtier infantry do against ten dozens of lancers accompanied by another ten dozens of elite horse archers. Back to square one :gonk:

Now I just play all-cavalry armies in PoP and do the same to the AI. It is my sweet revenge.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Trogdos! posted:

Khergits, not steppe bandits. Khergits gather round and chase your poor infantry army's rear end midgame and turn it into ribbons. I haven't played vanilla warband in like a year but I still remember fleeing from them and half a map away they are still on my tail, finally catching up. What can midtier infantry do against ten dozens of lancers accompanied by another ten dozens of elite horse archers. Back to square one :gonk:

Now I just play all-cavalry armies in PoP and do the same to the AI. It is my sweet revenge.

In Vanilla M&B the best way to avoid being hosed by the Khergits, is to join them, and fill your army with them. Now YOU'RE the rear end in a top hat running all the way across the map loving poo poo up everywhere along the way.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN

Harmburger posted:

In Vanilla M&B the best way to avoid being hosed by the Khergits, is to join them, and fill your army with them. Now YOU'RE the rear end in a top hat running all the way across the map loving poo poo up everywhere along the way.

That's what I did afterwards :v:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Trogdos! posted:

All cav armies in PoP still seems like cheating. Of course my almost entirely Silvermist Knight army (almost 300 strong) also seems like cheating.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
I Downloaded Floris expanded and then it crashed when I try and make a character....

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN

Deadmeat5150 posted:

All cav armies in PoP still seems like cheating. Of course my almost entirely Silvermist Knight army (almost 300 strong) also seems like cheating.

Isn't it very slow on the campaign map, though? Crusing at 6.0 with 150-man army is what makes clarion call rangers awesome.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Something to warm you up before a little battle with said Khergits.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Trogdos! posted:

Isn't it very slow on the campaign map, though? Crusing at 6.0 with 150-man army is what makes clarion call rangers awesome.

It can be. Even with Pathfinding 10 on one of my companions we really only poke around. My kingdom now takes up half the map with only Ravenstern and part of the Fierdsvain left and they both sued for peace with me. I'm busy throwing my nobles at Unique armies to try and bring them down but holy poo poo are there a lot of little guys! I haven't brought a single minor faction down past Healthy yet.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Anyone know where I can the Mage Lord tweaks for PoP? Everyone talks about it but google is being useless. I'm only getting LotR poo poo for some reason.

Help in the form of a link would be greatly appreciated.

Evoq
Jul 2, 2007

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Just remember, don't piss off the Noldor. They can and will rain hell upon you.

The only reason why PoP is for "experienced players" is because starting off is hard as gently caress, with fucktons of the little poo poo raiders and stuff, and because everything has had a level boost. Its perfectly fine to play PoP as your VERY FIRST foray into the Mount and Blade games but just remember that its supposed to be, and is a bit, harder than the base game.

Chair In A Basket posted:

gently caress Khergits, gently caress Steppe Bandits, gently caress everything in that goddamn region. I want a mod that just totally eliminates Khergits from the game and reorders their cities to the other factions.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Trogdos! posted:

I just make a wall of infrantry, deep as I can without making it too short. I put them on a slope if I can with archers right above them. This makes it so horses hit my infantry then get shot by my archers. Works well.

After the first charge, the horse archers tend to run around and shoot people, but if you don't move, you generally get them running back into you.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Khergits and other mounted units are super easy if you're willing to cheese the game. At the start of the battle, order your entire army to follow you to the closest map border (on a hill if it's possible to do so very quickly, but it isn't necessary). Tell all of your mounted units to dismount, and then make everyone hold position on the edge of the map. Lastly, order your army to pack close together.

Should be a slaughter. All of the mounted Khergits will smack into the invisible wall and be really easy pickings. I find that about half of them don't do anything but sit there with their thumbs up their horses' asses while the rest make some really weak attempts at doing damage to your forces. Even if a lancer gets a good charge in, your units are so packed together than he'll get completely swamped, unable to escape.

I spend most of these battles casually walking along the edge where all of the mounted units are stuck and popping them in the head with a 2-hander, one-by-one. They rarely even attack back.

Mounted armies are probably the easiest armies for me to take on. What I really hate are ranged-focused armies. Constantly getting crossbow bolts to my sides and back, and they completely wreck me in sieges.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I just bought this off of Steam last night and played for an hour or two last night with no problems. Today I started the game and I'm have a weird graphical issue: Everything looks like poo poo, really pixelated, at least the text does. Nothing like what it looked like last night. I switch between my laptop monitor and one I have connected, I switch to VGA only when I played it last night and had no issues but now it happens even when I play it on the LCD monitor. Any suggestions?

Here's what it looks like:

DrPop fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 12, 2011

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Did that Lord of the Ring mod ever come out?

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Also the PoP change log is funny:

code:
New features:

- Gender equality

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
So, is there any Goonish movements in Mount and Musket? I spied a few LLJKs but I assumed they were just coming out of c-RPG to visit.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Coolio posted:

I very much want to hear any new developments on this front, its original mod for M&B is so amazing.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Gamerofthegame posted:

So, is there any Goonish movements in Mount and Musket? I spied a few LLJKs but I assumed they were just coming out of c-RPG to visit.

M&M is literally the best Warband mod to play with a group of friends. There's just so much idiot poo poo to play with like just being a dude with a huge flag waving that poo poo hardcore around your fort's walls or being a bagpiper and picking some horrible tune to blast over and over next to people trying to hide. As Russia always spawn as the peasant class because at the beginning of the round its just everyone comparing what kind of terrible gear they got.

"Well ok I got a long stick thats pretty good"
"Hmm I've got a tree axe and a pitchfork and an elf pajama hat"
"I've only got a broken vodka bottle and a hatchet, but I do have a nice big hat and a uniform"

\/\/Yea people in it are pretty cool, its always awesome to see someone throw their weapon down and put their hands up and have the other team come up and form a kicking circle to kill them

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 12, 2011

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
It's the best mod to play even on your own, too - I was actually startled initially at how easy it was to get people to work together. I was playing a flag bearer for a while and having a blast just because I got everyone to start following me around into battle.

And there is nothing more amazing then waving the Union Jack in the air with 20+ people following behind you, running into musket fire.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
We really need to roll some M&M and WFS cRPG when it happens goon rushes. Really.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

DrPop posted:

I just bought this off of Steam last night and played for an hour or two last night with no problems. Today I started the game and I'm have a weird graphical issue: Everything looks like poo poo, really pixelated, at least the text does. Nothing like what it looked like last night. I switch between my laptop monitor and one I have connected, I switch to VGA only when I played it last night and had no issues but now it happens even when I play it on the LCD monitor. Any suggestions?

Are you running the game in DX7?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

MegaGatts posted:

Are you running the game in DX7?

No, DX 9, tried switching to DX 7 and same poo poo

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

DrPop posted:

Looks like you changed resolution and maybe selected 16 bit instead of 32 bit. Or it hosed up and changed it for you, check in the config launcher.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I can't get M&M to work. Ever :(

Paper_Masochist
Oct 21, 2008

TheChad posted:

Anyone know where I can the Mage Lord tweaks for PoP? Everyone talks about it but google is being useless. I'm only getting LotR poo poo for some reason.

Help in the form of a link would be greatly appreciated.
Is this a real thing? Sounds interesting.

Coolio posted:

I believe it's in closed beta form at the moment. which has put me in my place because I was certain it would never get this far.

l33t Lurker
Aug 31, 2001
Can anybody who's played the Brytenwalda mod tell me how to solve the "Destroy the Scoti lair" quest? It just suggests you follow a group's trail when they "go back to their lair to resupply", but I've been chasing guys around for days and getting nowhere. I've even turned on cheats, to look at the map and teleport all over the place, and I can't find a bandit lair anywhere.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Prophesy of Pendor is tough as hell. The various bandit and mini-factions are seeing to it that my modest ~50 troop army has constant turnover. Thankfully, I'm a minor Fierdsvain noble, and these vikings are kicking rear end on their campaigns so far.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I've found Prophesy of Pendor to be far more enjoyable when you start the game with a character much like the barbarian class from Blood & Steel. Export character, set strength to 65 and power strike/throw/draw to 5 each, import character, slaughter everything. If you keep damage to self on normal you'll still get wrecked time to time but you're pretty much a berserk wrecking ball until then.

Also, spoiler about gods: I've gotten random messages from gods in previous games saying stuff like "fight for justice", but last night a god gave me a ruby rune bow out of nowhere after my power draw skill got to 8. Small details like that make this mod great.

l33t Lurker posted:

Can anybody who's played the Brytenwalda mod tell me how to solve the "Destroy the Scoti lair" quest? It just suggests you follow a group's trail when they "go back to their lair to resupply", but I've been chasing guys around for days and getting nowhere. I've even turned on cheats, to look at the map and teleport all over the place, and I can't find a bandit lair anywhere.

That's a standard Warband quest, the bandit lair won't be on your map until you've actually witnessed the bandits stop there for resupply. A good thing to do is to have a high spotting skill and then hang out where you think they might be spawning from. It's easier with a smaller party since if they see you they'll either run away or attack. When they're just doing their normal patrol they'll stop by the lair time to time, if you see them do that the lair will appear on your map.

That's actually one of the better quests, clearing out the lair will give you some decent loot and you and your hero companions will get a lot of experience when you tell the lord afterwards.

edit: Also I've noticed that PoP has the experience multipliers turned down, if you lack patience like me and you want you and your guys to gain experience at the normal rate you can edit module.ini and look for player_xp_multiplier, you can set them back to the Native values or higher:
player_xp_multiplier = 2.0
hero_xp_multiplier = 2.0
regulars_xp_multiplier = 3.0

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 12, 2011

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Mizkif posted:

I've found Prophesy of Pendor to be far more enjoyable when you start the game with a character much like the barbarian class from Blood & Steel. Export character, set strength to 65 and power strike/throw/draw to 5 each, import character, slaughter everything. If you keep damage to self on normal you'll still get wrecked time to time but you're pretty much a berserk wrecking ball until then.

I started doing this months ago too and it has turned PoP from a mod that I wanted to enjoy but lost patience with to a really, really enjoyable experience.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Anyone have any other ideas what could be wrong with my game? :(

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

l33t Lurker posted:

A really easy (but punishing) way to cheese this is to get deliberately captured by bandits. When they run around the map they'll probably stop off at their lair and then it'll be on your map.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

DrPop posted:

Anyone have any other ideas what could be wrong with my game? :(

I don't know. Did you try the Taleworlds forums?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I'm getting the shits with Warband. I get tasked with killing looters and I end up killing 2 lots and then run out of time trying to find the remainder. Then trying to hand over ransom to some bandits near a city, go all the way across the map to that city and then run out of time searching all around it for them.

Is there a mod that fixes this? I'm failing every second quest because of this poo poo.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.

Pocket Billiards posted:

I'm getting the shits with Warband. I get tasked with killing looters and I end up killing 2 lots and then run out of time trying to find the remainder. Then trying to hand over ransom to some bandits near a city, go all the way across the map to that city and then run out of time searching all around it for them.

Is there a mod that fixes this? I'm failing every second quest because of this poo poo.

I've tried 4 times, I've never 'completed' the looter's quest. As for the other one, you don't lose the quest like you do with other NPCs when you refuse the guild master. You can check and see how many years away it is. It's obnoxious but not impossible to travel the whole map when you're able to move at 5+ movespeed.

The quest that really pisses me off is saving the lord from a castle, or sneaking into town. Both of these have you fighting 5 armored archers and swordsmen with robes and a stick. I've been trying to find a mod that lets me bring a buddy or let me keep my weapon or anything to make this actually possible to do, without turning the difficulty down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Bread
Aug 21, 2004

PEDOPHILE NAZI-APOLOGIST

Pocket Billiards posted:

Enable cheats and Ctrl + left click and teleport to the city you need to get to.