Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

johnwayne'smom
Oct 16, 2004
i wish i had an evil twin
Ok I get the grabbing on your forearm instead of just clasping hands to maintain more control, but can anyone give a tip about timing? Meaning, when do you release your grip on the overhooking arm and try to slide it under the chin? If you don't get it in quickly if they tuck their chin do you try to regrip and tighten back up with the seat belt?

Also, gently caress ringworm. It's been two weeks since I jitsed last and I am a miserable man because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
^^^ on that note...
I grappled with some filthy highschool kid the other day, I made sure to to home asap and shower right away, but I've broken out in these weird pimples in random places (my thigh, neck, arms, shoulders). I'm already using antibacterial soap. Is there anything else I can do other than not rolling with that filthy rear end in a top hat to prevent a Randleman-like disaster?

Something lawful
Aug 13, 2007
wut wut

awkward_turtle posted:

RNC: The details

- best to worst positioning: side lying with your "top" (over the shoulder)arm to the mat, side lying with the top arm up.

Why is one better than the other? I am having trouble picturing it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

fawker posted:

^^^ on that note...
I grappled with some filthy highschool kid the other day, I made sure to to home asap and shower right away, but I've broken out in these weird pimples in random places (my thigh, neck, arms, shoulders). I'm already using antibacterial soap. Is there anything else I can do other than not rolling with that filthy rear end in a top hat to prevent a Randleman-like disaster?

Use baby wipes at the gym or if you can afford them the defense soap wipes.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

fawker posted:

^^^ on that note...

If you've already got pimples you should go to the doctor for antibiotics just in case.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

fawker posted:

^^^ on that note...

Google Molluscum Contagiosum. Also see a dermatologist.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Something lawful posted:

Why is one better than the other? I am having trouble picturing it.

Top arm up places them in good position for the wrestlers escape, where they break your grip and drag it over the head, putting both arms on the same side of their body. Harder to maintain position or not initiate a scramble than top arm to the mat. Plus if they try it with top arm down they're practically pulling it into a guillotine when they turn over.

If ypou're having trouble visualizing it, think of doing a seatbelt with your right arm over the shoulder and your left arm under the armpit. If you and your partner fell to the right, you're in good position, if you fell to the left, you're in worse position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDBqw0ZjBKk
Check out marcelo's back taking from about 1:50 on. Takes the seatbelt, works his hooks in, rolls from wrong side to right side, attempts the arm trap then gets it on the other arm, wrist trap, and a combination of upwards and sideways pressure to get under the chin.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

fawker posted:

^^^ on that note...

one note: acne vulgaris the standard teenage acne most people get at one point or another, is not contagious. He might have given you god knows what else though.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
You guys are using the term seatbelt completely different from how we use that term in my school. We would never call that a seatbelt so I was pretty confused reading these posts initially. I would call that "back head and arm." Seatbelt to me is an around the waist grip.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Why the gently caress is it so hard for people to just bathe. Im gonna go to the docs later tonight instead of BJJ, never gonna go near this kid again. Reading all your posts have me scared :(

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

fawker posted:

Why the gently caress is it so hard for people to just bathe. Im gonna go to the docs later tonight instead of BJJ, never gonna go near this kid again. Reading all your posts have me scared :(

I was out for three weeks and had two cryo treatments because of Molluscums, and I consider myself lucky. One guy at the gym was out for three months because they kept coming back. If I were a religious man, I'd pray for you that it's not MC.
Good on you for going to the doctor.

awkward_turtle posted:

Good seatbelt stuff

We were doing a lot of seatbelt last week at Marcelo's. I'm taking the liberty of adding your posts to my class notes about it. :3

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 11, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fawker posted:

^^^ on that note...

Hope it isn't mat herpes?

Also, always shower right after practice if at all possible. And if not, go directly home and shower right away. Don't wait around or run a bunch of errands first. I personally consider "do they have an on-site lockerroom with showers" as being a key part of deciding whether to join a club. And I loving hate it when tournaments are held in venues that lack shower facilities. Rolling with unfamiliar people and then having a 4 hour long drive home before you can shower is pretty much the best way ever to get ringworm.

Get comfortable telling people you don't feel like rolling with them if they are looking skeevy.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 11, 2011

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

fawker posted:

I just google image searched Molluscum Contagiosum. I don't even have a rash and I'm terrified.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I had 3 on my hand I didn't notice for like a month. It's not really that bad, most of those pictures of really gross problems are from people with immune deficiencies.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Yeah, every picture of every skin condition you find on google images will 9 times out of 10 be an order of magnitude worse than what it really looks like on most people. The cryo burns from the liquid nitrogen looked a lot worse than the actual molluscums-- they were just tiny red dots after training, and otherwise just skin coloured.
My dermatologist also told me that if you just see a few molluscums pop up, you can use a sterilizsed needle and take care of business yourself by popping the skin and squeezing out the core, and then drowning it in rubbing alcohol or something.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

Yeah, every picture of every skin condition you find on google images will 9 times out of 10 be an order of magnitude worse than what it really looks like on most people. The cryo burns from the liquid nitrogen looked a lot worse than the actual molluscums-- they were just tiny red dots after training, and otherwise just skin coloured.
My dermatologist also told me that if you just see a few molluscums pop up, you can use a sterilizsed needle and take care of business yourself by popping the skin and squeezing out the core, and then drowning it in rubbing alcohol or something.

Come to think of it, I may have had those before and done what your dermatologist suggested for fun.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
So during newaza the instructor decides to demonstrate some sort of bicep crusher variation thing on my arm as a way of controlling someone, and he was all like 'you're not looking to tap this guy from this position, just try and hold it for ages and move him around' which is what he did, and I didn't want to seem like a pussy so I just took it on the chin (bicep). He wasn't squeezing tight or anything, I'm just not very athletically gifted. And then later he was giving us tips to pass someones guard and I'm the guinea pig again and he's showing the guy next to me 'just dig your knuckles into the muscle just above his knee' and he does it to me and I'm squirming around like a girl at the end of a train, it hurt and tickled at the same time in a horrible way. And then it was time to show 'knee on inside of thigh' anyway, you get the picture. I loved it and hated it at the same time. He's about as slim as me but 4 times as strong. I wish they'd teach us the basics a bit better before going onto all the little tricks but it was good to hear everyone calling it 'the guard' and not some indecipherable Japanese name.

We do ne waza starting on our knees which is really weird and I watched some BJJ stuff online so when we started, I just grabbed him and pulled him into my guard like everyone on youtube that knows what their doing seems to do, why waste time making our knees sore for a position we'll probably never even be in. Are there any variations of a closed guard? Like, am I supposed to squeeze really tight or something? No one's ever really taught me the absolute basics. And we were taught one way to pass someone's guard is to reach behind you, snake your hand under his ankle and then all the way down his leg and pull his leg up to his chest and move to side control with one forearm over his neck or chest to hold him down and one arm around his leg. Is that a valid thing to do? This is Judo grappling we're talking about so I'm always concerned I'm getting some ineffective version of what the BJJ guys do.

Oh, and I almost forgot, thanks for everyones conditioning suggestions on the last page.

VV Ah ok, grab the opposite lappell. Gotcha.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 12, 2011

Angora
Feb 16, 2009

by Ozmaugh
We start training/rolling on our knees at my BJJ school as well. I like it because literally every time I've been hurt it has been the result of a takedown.

edit: The guard pass you're describing is pretty much the basic one we use as well. Only thing you missed is a detail with the arm underhooking the leg. When you press his leg into his body, grab a hold on his collar (the side opposite the leg you took) for added stability.

Angora fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 12, 2011

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Nierbo posted:

Are there any variations of a closed guard? Like, am I supposed to squeeze really tight or something? No one's ever really taught me the absolute basics.

Someone better will probably give you better advice, but here's what I'm given to understand.

I don't know that there are that many variations on the closed guard, unless you count rubber-guard type stuff which isn't recommended until you have the basics down pat. Your legs can be higher or lower on his back, but not much more than that. Of course the open guard has a zillion variations which get pretty complicated, but you'll have to ask someone else about that.

You don't need to squeeze tight; no point tiring your legs out unduly. Just do enough to make sure your feet stay locked until you're ready to unlock them; it shouldn't be very hard unless he postures up (for instance, if stands up and you're hanging from his back, you'll probably have to put some effort into keeping those legs locked). In the ideal case, rather than latching onto him with all your strength you want to destroy his posture so he can't put a lot of force into opening the guard. So about that...

You can try to pull him off balance and ruin his posture in two major ways. One: get a grip on his lapel or a headlock or something like that and pull him down to you. Two: pull him toward you with your hips, almost like a situp/crunch motion except he moves down instead of you moving up. Of course these approaches aren't mutually exclusive by any means; he'll fight to keep you from getting good grips with your hands, but you should always be trying to control him in some way with your legs (otherwise what's the point in having some of your body's strongest muscles wrapped around him?) If he manages to stand up you can still do these things and hope to pull him back down. You can also scare him into going back to his knees by threatening sweeps (a simple one is to grab both of his ankles and yank him right off his feet, winding up in mount.)

If you do a good job of putting pressure on him this way, basically two things can happen. If he straightens up and puts all his weight so far back that you can't possibly pull him forward into you, you can switch it up. He's a little off-balance here and you can get sweeps that involve pushing into him.

Alternatively, if you successfully ruin his posture and pull him forward, he'll have to post a hand on you or on the floor near your upper body in order to regain any semblance of control. (Otherwise he'll just be lying on you like an armless idiot until the end of time, and you'll probably figure out a way to choke him sooner or later.) You can attack that posted arm in various ways (armbar, omoplata, triangle choke, etc.) but if you haven't studied these I'm not really sure where you go from here.

Finally, if you think he's going to open your guard it's probably better to open it on your own terms. Open guard seems quite a bit more complicated so I don't really opt for it, being inexperienced. But it's certainly better than having my guard opened right when my opponent expects it, when I've lost all control and he's prepared to control my legs and try to pass.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 12, 2011

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Bohemian Nights posted:

We were doing a lot of seatbelt last week at Marcelo's. I'm taking the liberty of adding your posts to my class notes about it. :3

Ironically everything I know about this position comes from practice, reading the UG, and most importantly, careful scrutiny of MGinAction back when I had an account. I have a man crush on your instructor.

widunder
May 2, 2002
So ADCC just confirmed two superfights in September (I might be going depending on another goon :unsmith: ). Sperry/Renzo which should be hilarious, and a Royler/Eddie Bravo rematch which is just dumb but funny.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=216445948384474&id=150595014969568

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I'm not a huge Eddie Bravo fan or anything, but I hope he finishes Royler again. Guys come back from points deficits to finish there opponents all the time, but Eddie's the only one who gets labeled a fluke for it. It's dumb as poo poo.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Nierbo posted:

We do ne waza starting on our knees which is really weird and I watched some BJJ stuff online so when we started, I just grabbed him and pulled him into my guard like everyone on youtube that knows what their doing seems to do, why waste time making our knees sore for a position we'll probably never even be in. Are there any variations of a closed guard? Like, am I supposed to squeeze really tight or something? No one's ever really taught me the absolute basics. And we were taught one way to pass someone's guard is to reach behind you, snake your hand under his ankle and then all the way down his leg and pull his leg up to his chest and move to side control with one forearm over his neck or chest to hold him down and one arm around his leg. Is that a valid thing to do? This is Judo grappling we're talking about so I'm always concerned I'm getting some ineffective version of what the BJJ guys do.

Have a read over this: http://beginningbjj.com/lesson-BJJ-Guard-Posture-Mistakes.html

While those are 3 really bad mistakes for you to make, they're also 3 really good mistakes for you to encourage your opponent to make by wrecking his posture by grabbing his gi and using your hips to move him around.

I would also advise you to remember the golden rule of fighting inside someone's guard that I was taught. Keep your elbows as close to your hips as you can when you're inside somebody's guard to avoid the above happening to you.

Edit: Like the article says, there's a few guard passes which involve underhooking a leg, but there's also plenty of really effective ones that don't. The basic guard pass I was taught was posture up, put a knee in the guy's arse-crack and push your elbows down into his thighs until his feet unlock. From there you can underhook a leg and pass under it into side control, or you can drive a knee to the ground, put your shin over it to keep it on the ground and slip over the top of that one into side control. I prefer the latter because I have a thick neck and no grace of movement whatsoever so triangles scare me very much.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 12, 2011

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

nemoulette posted:

So ADCC just confirmed two superfights in September (I might be going depending on another goon :unsmith: ). Sperry/Renzo which should be hilarious, and a Royler/Eddie Bravo rematch which is just dumb but funny.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=216445948384474&id=150595014969568

Keep in mind that ADCC has a history of announcing matches that never pan out so don't get your hopes up too much. Renzo retweeted this though so at least that side of things seems solid.

I'm kinda surprised they got Sperry, though; I've heard that he's been busy running his import/export business and only training once or twice a week.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
isn't mario sperry like 50? and fat?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Gomi Pile posted:

isn't mario sperry like 50? and fat?

Sperry and Renzo are both 44. Mario's gonna be about 230 according to Renzo; whether that's 230 of fat or 230 of middle-aged muscle I have no idea because I haven't seen recent pictures of the dude in years.

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.
For real guys. Shower. I got horrible staph that made me look like I got shot quite a few times five years ago or so :/. Not pleasent in the least and pretty damned scary.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
it helps if you do too fyi

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I really want that Royler Bravo rematch. I bet it doesn't happen because Eddie really has nothing to gain and at this point, Royler probably doesn't care enough.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Xguard86 posted:

I really want that Royler Bravo rematch. I bet it doesn't happen because Eddie really has nothing to gain and at this point, Royler probably doesn't care enough.

It would be really fun, but as much as I like Eddie Bravo, I'm not sure how much money I'd be willing to put up for him beating Royler a second time.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
How can I watch these things? Im guessing ADCC usually has a stream of some sort that we pay for?

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.

the periodic fable posted:

it helps if you do too fyi

Yep. Pretty much exactly what I just said. I wasn't placing blame, just saying that showering as soon as you get done is good as to avoid filthy mat disease :)

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

fawker posted:

How can I watch these things? Im guessing ADCC usually has a stream of some sort that we pay for?

Budovideos streams the big IBJJF events(Pan Ams, Worlds, No gi Worlds) ADCC will probably offer a stream this year. Those events also end up on DVDs. For everything else you have to look through youtube to find stuff.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
The stream for ADCC (the last couple, anyway) only had one mat at a time, though, so you're basically only seeing about a tenth of the tournament live. They release the whole thing on DVD sets afterwards, though.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
True, they did a little bit of picture in picture but it kind of sucked(and so did the commentary on the stream which was freaking terrible)

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

fawker posted:

have you ever watched competitive grappling on the teevee? its the absolute worst.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
i enjoyed every minute of karelin-gardner

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

KryonikMessiah posted:

Yep. Pretty much exactly what I just said. I wasn't placing blame, just saying that showering as soon as you get done is good as to avoid filthy mat disease :)

oic it sounded like a coitus_interruptus rage post, my mistake

:)

Something lawful
Aug 13, 2007
wut wut

awkward_turtle posted:

Advice
Thanks a bunch. You explained it perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
Thanks for the guard tips a few posts back. I've gotten better at keeping people in my guard, but I still don't know what to do from there, other than hang out and hope the other guy doesn't come up with something. We did learn a collar choke which I've been trying to work on.

Anyone have an opinion on Rolles Gracie? He's stopping by my gym for a couple 1.5 hour seminars and I'm wondering if I should go. I'd have to skip out of work early and it costs money, so I'm wondering who much I'd get out of it as an uncoordinated beginner.