Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Crazy Ted posted:

"Nip" is a slur on Japanese people and Choi is Korean. I think you're seeing something that isn't there.

Just to be clear, I don't think it was intentional. But I'd personally avoid using "nips" in any context referring to an asian man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

Crazy Ted posted:

"Nip" is a slur on Japanese people and Choi is Korean. I think you're seeing something that isn't there.

You're giving that writer more credit than he probably deserves. Just a guess on my part though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Does anyone under the age of 60 actually use that term legitimately

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

morestuff posted:

Just to be clear, I don't think it was intentional. But I'd personally avoid using "nips" in any context referring to an asian man.

I see where you're coming from but it's kind of a stretch. It's not like some dude using the word "niggardly" for no reason, people say "nip" in real life. I'd probably avoid it too if it came to mind but honestly I wouldn't have made the connection if you hadn't pointed it out. Just an unfortunate coincidence if anything.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!
The problem is it's a slippery slope from one to the other.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
Off-topic but I really need to know what the quote in your avatar is from

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Does anyone under the age of 60 actually use that term legitimately
Y-Hat, but that's only for Boston Red Sox players.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Fisticuffs posted:

Off-topic but I really need to know what the quote in your avatar is from
It's a paraphrasing. You should really watch this whole thing, but this link'll take you right to the part.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

BITCH I SELL CAINE posted:

It's a paraphrasing. You should really watch this whole thing, but this link'll take you right to the part.

what I'd like to know is why the picture is some guy edited onto Big Bear Doin Thangs

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

Tender Bender posted:

what I'd like to know is why the picture is some guy edited onto Big Bear Doin Thangs

Mobutu Sese Seko is hardly some guy

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

Bob Shabazz posted:

Mobutu Sese Seko is hardly some guy

He also most certainly did "thangs"

\

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Badfinger posted:

Looks like he won by a narrow margin in a playoff. Seems like correct usage to me.

I honestly wrote that without having the faintest idea why you were criticizing it.

I think it's fine.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Something about this article from Tim Panaccio on csnphilly.com really irks me. I think only one line will sum it up.

quote:

According to one league source, Phoenix’s Ilya Bryzgalov might be a perfect fit for the Flyers.
First, it's not even a Flyers source indicating they are interested in him, it's someone involved somehow with the league simply saying "Yeah, he'd be good in Philly". That deserves an entire article? If he were giving his own opinion that's one thing, but it's some random "source" that for some reason wants to remain anonymous about giving his opinion.

Also, he goes on to talk about trading Carter for Bryzgalov. Granted, the Flyers would probably have to move Carter and/or someone else to make cap room, he neglects to mention Bryzgalov is a god drat unrestricted FA. Why would the Flyers trade Carter just for 2 months of rights? If you're gonna move Carter for cap room, trade him for something you can use.

God I hate Panach.

EDIT: The article: http://tinyurl.com/69vtkmh

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 16, 2011

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

this made me sad

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I wish this dumbass wasn't writing for the regional newspaper:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/stevekelley/2015064565_kelley16.html

quote:

Closers are a different breed, as much about attitude as stuff. They have short memories and large egos. They want to pitch in every game that matters. They think the ninth inning should be sponsored by them. The ninth inning belongs to them.

Closers are all heavy metal. Trevor Hoffman charging into a ninth inning with AC/DC's "Hell's Bells" rumbling from the public-address system. J.J. Putz entering to AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" or Mariano Rivera coming into the game to the sounds of Metallica's "Enter Sandman."

Closers have nicknames like "Goose" and "The Mad Hungarian" and "The Beard."

Closers are Brian Wilson scowling like Rasputin, or Rivera looking cool as October. Most have one pitch that they throw over and over again, until a hitter begs for mercy.

Yep, Brandon League's failure as a closer this past week has nothing to do with the fact that he throws fastballs all the time, he lacks "closer mentality."

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

stuart scott irl posted:

this made me sad

I don't think she really killed the cat with regular water.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

seiferguy posted:

Yep, Brandon League's failure as a closer this past week has nothing to do with the fact that he throws fastballs all the time, he lacks "closer mentality."

So I guess we can add "attitude" and "stuff" to a checklist of what makes a good baseball player along with grit, heart, and intangibles?

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Bigass Moth posted:

So I guess we can add "attitude" and "stuff" to a checklist of what makes a good baseball player along with grit, heart, and intangibles?

five tool player

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Bigass Moth posted:

Dirt on the uniform. NO ONE GETS INTO THE HALL OF FAME WITHOUT IT.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

stuart scott irl posted:

this made me sad
I think your sympathy does you credit, but the person that's underneath all that nuttiness is kind of a jerk. If you start to feel sad for him again, try to think of something else to cheer up. Like Ryan Howard's contract.

Bigass Moth posted:

Calm eyes.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

seiferguy posted:

He fails to mention Proven Closer Matt Capps and his entrance tune of "Big Bull Rida" (not gonna look up if that's the actual name of the song).

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Step forward Ray Ratto, a man who apparently takes NBA draft lotteries very seriously...

quote:

Kahn's non-cavalier attitude toward Cavs lotto win a shame

I do believe David Kahn was given to us heathens so that Mark Cuban would not become overtaxed as the NBA's designated semi-loopy contrarian.

In fact, as Cuban has become more serious and less maverick-ish (no pun intended), the job has stood vacant for too long. But from out of the north, under cover of "What the hell was that he said?" is the general manager of the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Tuesday, though, he was particularly gifted in the notice-me arts when he essentially declared the NBA Draft lottery a predetermined contest, a version of the cutest child competition.

Here's the fact. The Cleveland Cavaliers won the lottery (yippee for them), and the team's representative was owner Dan Gilbert's 14-year-old son Nick, who endures the tortures of neurofibromatosis. As the representative of the team for the lottery, he serves no function except as a seatwarmer, but it was a big deal for him, and he seemed to have a good time doing so.

But Kahn, either trying to cut his humor too fine or sounding like a guy who likes to be scorned by his fellows, offered a countervailing suggestion when the Cavs got the most blessed ping pong ball.

He was screwed by the very appearance of Nick Gilbert.

"This league has a habit, and I am just going to say habit, of producing some pretty incredible storylines," Kahn said. "Last year it was Abe Pollin's widow and this year it was a 14-year-old boy and the only thing we have in common is we have both been bar mitzvahed. We were done. I told Kevin: 'We're toast.' This is not happening for us and I was right."

"Kevin" was Utah Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor, whose response is not recorded. Thankfully for him.

Kahn said he sized up the field when he, the Jazz and Cavs were the last three standing, and his inability to seem cuddly enough, bar mitzvah or no bar mitzvah.

And maybe that's how the lottery works now. Maybe that's why Roger Goodell got booed at his draft and David Stern didn't get booed at his -- children.

Well, that, and no live audience.

But we digress.

Kahn has managed, with the use of Nick Gilbert, to come off about as poorly as if he had been Jerry Lewis at the MD telethon and did 20 minutes of stand-up making fun of his kids.

There are (a) things that are funny in the hands of any-old-body, (b) things that are funny only in the hands of a skilled comedic practitioner, (c) things that are funny with the right audience, and (d) a few things that just aren't funny at all.

At best, Kahn was standing squarely in Column B, closer still to Column D. But funny for the general audience with Nick Gilbert as the mechanism of his words he was not.

Jobbed out of one pick in a draft most folks regard as a weak one, Kahn came off like someone who had been swindled out of Bill Russell, Michael Jordan and LeBron James by the presence of a child with the power to make ping pong balls dance to a tune only he can hear.

And even if Kahn is right and Nick Gilbert brought the lottery to his knees with a bow tie, Harry Potter glasses and a winning personality, then Nick Gilbert has powers one should not want to get crossways of and feel confident of the outcome.

I mean, if he can change the course of the NBA at 14, how would he work at 21? Or 30? The prudent course here would have been for Kahn to tip his hat at Nick Gilbert and say, "Good on you. Hope the night was all you'd hoped for." And then back away slowly.

Or he could have turned to Kevin O'Connor and said, "Next year, I'm going with the 11-year-old girl. If these are the rules, then I want to get on the right side of them."

Or he could have just said nothing except, "We wanted No. 2 all along. This couldn't have worked better for us if we'd picked the number ourselves." I mean, that's what they all do on draft night anyway, right?

So we'll leave with you with this. Don't bet on the Cavs trading the first pick. Even they don't want to mess with the power of Nick Gilbert.

Ray Ratto is a columnist for Comcast SportsNet Bay Area.com

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Step forward Ray Ratto, a man who apparently takes NBA draft lotteries very seriously...

quote:

In fact, as Cuban has become more serious and less maverick-ish (no pun intended)

Yes, I certainly didn't intend this doozy as a pun! Maverick-ish is just a term that I use all the time.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Seriously today might be one of the most retarded days in sports journalism I've ever seen because the national media actually thinks that David Kahn was seriously alleging that David Stern rigs the lottery instead of just joking around with the Utah Jazz GM.

link

quote:

In just two years as general manager of the Minnesota Timberwolves, David Kahn has continually followed up some baffling personnel decisions by making weird comments better-suited for online message boards than for press conferences. He continues to claim that Ricky Rubio is coming to the NBA any day now even when no such hard evidence exists, he praised archetypal bust Darko Milicic as "manna from heaven," and he welcomed Michael Beasley(notes) to Minnesota by saying his problems in Miami stemmed from smoking too much weed. At this point in his GM career, Kahn is not just someone who makes mistakes with the press -- he's reckless and doesn't think about potential consequences before he speaks.

But Kahn is a perfectionist, so it should come as no surprise that he followed up Tuesday night's NBA Draft Lottery with perhaps the most foolish comments of his professional life.

In case you missed it, the Wolves entered the lottery with a 25 percent chance at nabbing the top pick in the draft and came out of it with the second-overall pick. Given some previous cases of lottery bad luck -- like, say, last season's 12-win Nets ending up with the No. 3 pick -- the Wolves came out OK. The Cleveland Cavaliers, the team with the second-worst record in the league during the 2010-11 campaign, finished with the top pick, albeit by way of the pick they received in trade with the eighth-worst Los Angeles Clippers. It was a moment of great fortune for the Cavs and franchise representative Nick Gilbert, the 14-year-old son of owner Dan Gilbert who has had to deal with neurofibromatosis, a terrible nervous disorder that causes benign and malignant tumors to grow randomly in all parts of the body, for his entire life. It's a great story for a kid and franchise who can use some good luck.

Don't tell that to Kahn, though, because he hinted that he was the victim of underhanded dealings. From Brian Mahoney of the Associated Press:

"This league has a habit, and I am just going to say habit, of producing some pretty incredible story lines," Kahn said. "Last year it was Abe Pollin's widow and this year it was a 14-year-old boy and the only thing we have in common is we have both been bar mitzvahed. We were done. I told Kevin [O'Connor of Utah]: 'We're toast.' This is not happening for us and I was right."

Yeah, widows and sick kids get all the luck.

To Kahn's credit, he gave another post-lottery interview in which he seemed to suggest that ill fortune is sometimes the way of the world. But those comments don't change the fact that he also issued the quote above, which reads more like the paranoid fantasy of a bratty child than what you'd expect from a high-profile NBA executive whose team earned a pick generally in line with what the lottery odds suggested they would. Plus, the Wolves didn't even have the league's worst record last year; that would be the aforementioned Nets. If Kahn cares so much about wronged parties, shouldn't he be going to bat for Mikhail Prokhorov instead of complaining about his own rotten deal?

Kahn didn't explicitly say that he's the victim of a conspiracy, but the "and I am just going to say habit" portion of his quote suggests that he's dealing in euphemism to avoid a fine. Lottery conspiracy theories are nothing new -- some people still believe that David Stern dipped an envelope in tartar sauce in 1985 to ensure that the Knicks would win the right to select Patrick Ewing. But general managers typically have the good sense to shut their mouths and not complain in public in a manner typically associated with annoying fans who hide behind a cloak of Internet anonymity.

To make this story even sillier, Stern put in a good word with Wolves owner Glen Taylor to help his friend Kahn get the Wolves job in 2009. Why, exactly, would Stern change course and doom Kahn to the ignominy of picking second in the draft? Does he not want to make it appear like he plays favorites?

There are many bad general managers in the league, of which Kahn is arguably the worst on the merits, or lack thereof, of his personnel decisions. However, what makes him a truly odious figure is that he regularly acts with a level of arrogance that suggests he thinks he's entitled to success. Being an NBA general manager is a tough job that requires patience, hard work, and an ability to roll with several cases of bad luck. Sadly, after two years on the job, Kahn has proven that he doesn't have the temperament to succeed in the job. How much longer can Taylor and the Minnesota fanbase stand him?

This is all based off what he told one AP writer about a joke made with Utah general manager Kevin O'Connor.

I'd post three or four other stories but what the hell is the point

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 18, 2011

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Seriously today might be one of the most retarded days in sports journalism I've ever seen because the national media actually thinks that David Kahn was seriously alleging that David Stern rigs the lottery instead of just joking around with the Utah Jazz GM.

link

I was kind of surprised to see that Eric Freeman was the one who wrote that. I usually like his stuff, but this is pretty horrible.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Scott Raab, a writer for Esquire, tries to pen a new nickname for Dirk Nowitzki.

http://twitter.com/#!/Scott_Raab/status/70760366099005440

Oops...

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Crazy Ted posted:

Scott Raab, a writer for Esquire, tries to pen a new nickname for Dirk Nowitzki.

Oops...
How difficult is it to come up with something like Nowitzkrieg, really?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The dude's first name is "Dirk", he doesn't need a nickname.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
They should call him The Dagger, if anything.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Crazy Ted posted:

Oops...

Gassing Jews humor is always a good choice, especially when nicknaming a German guy.

How difficult is it to come up with something like Nowitzkrieg, really?

Now you've offended the Poles!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The guy's been in the league for more than a decade, I don't think now is the time to start looking for a nickname for him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Gassing Jews humor is always a good choice, especially when nicknaming a German guy.

Well a Jewish guy made the joke, so the circle is closed and everything's good.

Wouldn't surprise me if Raab actually thinks that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Raab is the same guy that had his credentials revoked after trolling Lebron on Twitter. This is what he said at that time:

quote:

“Twitter can be a fairly intoxicating medium,” Raab said. “I came up as a fiction writer and fell in love with journalism because the feedback is much faster. And Twitter multiples that.”

But, he added, “I probably have to dial back my Twitter persona.”

Yeah, no poo poo.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Scott Raab gives legitimate journalists a terrible name; I don't know why writers like JoePos still flock to the guy for perspective on Cleveland.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
On a scale from Joe Posnanski (1) to AJ Daulerio (10), where does he fall

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
On that scale, pretty much a 10

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Captain Charisma posted:

On a scale from Joe Posnanski (1) to AJ Daulerio (10), where does he fall
Doesn't Daulerio belong at 11 all by himself or something?

We need a name for each ranking point.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
What in the gently caress is this cheerleading piece of poo poo?

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/columns/story?columnist=edes_gordon&id=6567995

quote:

To: Chicago Cubs Fans

Dear fellow travelers,

OK, so we understand we might be getting off on the wrong foot here, just by referring to ourselves as a "Nation." I agree, it smacks of being smug, arrogant and conceited, the same qualities we ascribe to Yankees fans. It also ignores the reality that the Cubs have at least as many fans, if not more, scattered around the globe.

But, you know, after being beaten down by the Yankees for so long, we developed a bit of an "Alamo" mentality around here, united by our misery at losing year after year and vowing that it would take winning a World Series before we could die in peace. We actually worried that when the Sox did win, not only in 2004 but in 2007, an unintended consequence might be a spike in the undertaker business. But it seems that enough Sox fans have elected to stick around to see whether the Sox can do it again.

[+] EnlargeSteve Bartman
AP Photo/Amy SancettaYou Cubs fans had Steve Bartman ...

And we admit the newest members of RSN are spoiled. They've grown up thinking that a trip to the World Series is now pretty close to being a birthright, like a Kennedy running for office, instead of a rare harmonic convergence that happens about as often as Terry Francona drives through a rotary without being flipped off by one of his fellow motorists.

Being a Red Sox fan admittedly means being absorbed with our own issues, which these days tend to revolve around whether John Lackey is a complete bust, a basket case or a guy who has been pitching with a bad elbow, or whether Carl Crawford's contract contains a clause allowing him to take the first year off while reading the complete works of Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Our indifference to the plights of others manifests itself when we descend en masse upon a rival city, such as Baltimore, and turn its ballpark into an out-of-network version of Fenway, while becoming greatly annoyed when visiting fans try to return the favor on Yawkey Way. You can wear your blue Cubbie hats, but if you know anything about our history, we tend to overreact when we get mad. We wouldn't want to be dumping you in the harbor like we did that tea, so mind your manners.

But we also are vaguely aware of your suffering, maybe because you're in a league of your own. Even when we were enduring 86 years of not winning a World Series, at least we went. 1967. 1975. 1986. Your Cubs, however, haven't been back to the Series since 1945, and only then because the war had watered down the talent so bad that even the Cubs could have a good team.

And not winning since 1908? Yeah, we've heard the line, every team is entitled to a bad century, but c'mon. Are you guys even trying? People like to lump the Sox and Cubs together, but you're far worse off on the misery index. Since '45, the Cubs have had five seasons in which they won 90 games or more. That's the same number the Red Sox have had since Theo Epstein became general manager.

And you can't say we haven't tried to help. We sent you Dennis Eckersley; we sent you Nomar Garciaparra. Not our fault that Eck couldn't stay off Rush Street and Nomar couldn't stay out of the trainers' room. We also gave you Zim, and at least Don Zimmer nearly got you to the World Series in 1989.

But from afar, it seems that for every great player you've had -- Phil Cavarretta and Ernie Banks and Billy Williams and Ron Santo and Andre Dawson and Ryne Sandberg and Mark Grace and Sammy Sosa -- you've had more guys like Carmen Fanzone, who made his mark not as a utility infielder but for playing jazz trumpet in some of Chicago's top night spots. Or Jose Cardenal, a pretty good outfielder (now Yankees coach) who once missed a game because his eyelids were stuck. And we won't even ask you about that "college of coaches" you had instead of a manager back in the '60s.

And we'll acknowledge that you've had more than your fair share of bad luck, like having two of the best young pitchers in the game in Kerry Wood and Mark Prior and them both breaking down in their primes.

Hey, we'll admit we thought you were going to win in 2003, just like we were. But you had Steve Bartman (and get off that poor kid's back, will you?), and we had Aaron Bleeping Boone. And we were sure, even as we couldn't get past Tampa Bay in the American League Championship Series in 2008, that at least you'd get there after posting the National League's best record that year. We're sorry that Manny Ramirez was in L.A. at the time and decided to get pregnant, or something, and single-handedly knocked you out of October.

This year, we've noticed, hasn't started off real well for you. And that guy you call Z, Carlos Zambrano, he reminds us of another pitcher who could be terrific but terrifying at the same time, Oil Can Boyd. Looks like this might not be the year, either, although that kid shortstop you have, Starlin Castro, is impressive. We hope our kid shortstop, Jose Iglesias, turns out to be half as good.

And you have a couple of other things working in your favor. You're no longer just another piece in a newspaper empire, which these days has become nearly an oxymoron. The new owner, Tom Ricketts, sounds like he actually is interested in winning. It took new ownership here to finally bring a championship, and these guys also saved Fenway. We hope your owner is just as diligent in the care and maintenance of Wrigley, and learns that giving huge contracts to an Alfonso Soriano isn't necessarily a good business practice.

So, yeah, we understand how you might be down in the mouth about the last century (U.S. presidents elected since 1908: 18; Cubs World Series championships: 0). Instead of one of your biggest fans, Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam, giving guitar tips to Theo, maybe he should be passing along tips from Theo to GM Jim Hendry (whom we like, incidentally).

But we have just one further piece of advice for you:

Cowboy up. It has happened for the Bears, the White Sox, the Bulls, the Blackhawks. One of these centuries, it will happen for you. We're speaking from experience.

Sincerely, RSN

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

I don't know why writers like JoePos still flock to the guy for perspective on Cleveland.

I didn't even know he was related to Cleveland in any way until just now.

Though I do my damnedest to avoid any and all media in the first place so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

leokitty posted:

What in the gently caress is this cheerleading piece of poo poo?

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/columns/story?columnist=edes_gordon&id=6567995

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/5/21/2182701/chicago-cubs-boston-red-sox-score-news

But Al Yellon sucks rear end anyway. Oh God, if only the Cubs had kept Damian Miller, he was the CATALYST