Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
I assume he was going for Male Chauvinistic Pig but didn't know how it was actually spelled in english.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
I don't know why, but I find it hilarious for the morrowind "mod" to be hobbled together star wars and fallout stuff.

There is something interesting about the concept of blending paranormal activities into technology. With modern life becoming more hi-tech, integrating a variety of electronics and with it games, applications, etc. to see this jump from no longer it being haunted houses and creepy old woods, but now mysterious websites, and unexplained games.

edit: The Ring books were pretty good. Though it started to get a bit to weird towards the end in the third book.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Okay I might be nuts, but this has bugged me for years and I'll contribute all the information I can to help solve this mystery. When I was younger, I got a new computer through Best Buy, but it was built/shipped from HP. It was a Pentium II, right towards the end of their lifespan because I remember the PIII's coming out a month or two later.

I hadn't installed any games on it (that I remember), but maybe a couple demo discs (I remember playing the demo for Shogo: Mobile Armor Division on it). I was dicking around with the search function and found a sound file, but it was nested in a Windows directory, I don't remember which one specifically.

The sound file was of an imp-like creature with a heavy lisp saying, "There's no room for PUSSIES in Satan's army!"

That's it. I have no idea where it came from. I have played TONS of games since, and have never come across this soundbite. Keep in mind that there was basically nothing installed at this point and it was in a Windows directory, so was it added at HP??

Seriously what the gently caress. I'll try to add a soundbite impersonation of it when I get back to the house, maybe it'll spark someone's memory.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Spawn, apparently.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=%22There%27s+no+room+for+PUSSIES+in+Satan%27s+army!%22

edit: both the spawn movie and the Pentium II came out in 1997, according to Wikipedia. And the HBO miniseries ran from 1997-1999.

Strenuous Manflurry fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 18, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

JammyLammy posted:

Long one, concerning a mod for Morrowind

quote:

He also said that the person advised him to try playing the mod through DOSbox. For some reason, this worked...sort of.

:psyduck: At least pretend to make an effort, guys.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Spawn, apparently.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=%22There%27s+no+room+for+PUSSIES+in+Satan%27s+army!%22

edit: both the spawn movie and the Pentium II came out in 1997, according to Wikipedia. And the HBO miniseries ran from 1997-1999.

Weird, thanks.

No idea why the hell that soundbite it would be on a (supposedly) new hard drive, though.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e1vU_AfTdw#t=30s

its the animated Spawn specifically

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

TheOriginalEd posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e1vU_AfTdw#t=30s

its the animated Spawn specifically

Holy poo poo that's it.

Never thought I'd hear it again. Now the bigger mystery as to why it was on a new computer from Hewlett Packard. Probably some tech dicking around.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

ToxicFrog posted:

:psyduck: At least pretend to make an effort, guys.

Maybe it would have been more believable if they discovered it would only load in Windows XP.

Also scarier.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rocketlex posted:

Maybe it would have been more believable if they discovered it would only load in Windows ME.

Also scarier.

Fixed.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.

Lone Rogue posted:

Fixed.

Immediately fake, because Windows ME doesn't even load in Windows ME.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Lone Rogue posted:

Fixed.

I find it hilarious that you think ME would work long enough to start up a game.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Neito posted:

I find it hilarious that you think ME would work long enough to start up a game.

I'll have you know Half Life and mods occasionally ran on ME. For a couple hours.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ME is what I used to play Morrowind on. :smith: Yeah, it loving sucked.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Neito posted:

That's why games can get haunted on it.

Because it is haunted.

It's a perfectly working operating system that's haunted so it crashes all of the time.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I'd hate to see this thread die, I actually read through the whole thing recently. So I'll try to recall a few hoaxes that my school yard passed around.

Remember those little Digimon tamagochi things? My friends were convinced that if you pulled off the little plastic cage without breaking it it would unlock more powerful digimon. This obviously is false but it was just part of what was spread along side the Triforce in the forest shop, Mew in the truck, etc

Another one that went along the school yard was how to get Knuckles in Sonic & Knuckles to play in the Death Egg Zone without use of the level select code. It had something to do with getting all the Chaos emeralds and finding an alternative path out of Lava Reef zone to enter a different opening in Hidden Palace Zone.

Also the greatest hoax of them all. In the credits of Lester the Unlikely it specifically says you have not seen the last of Lester. Well, I'm still waiting. There was a sequel supposedly planned, surprisingly so considering how the first game turned out) but ultimately was cancelled - though I could have easily gotten that information years ago and spread false information.

I also remember a hoax from Link to the Past where if you killed the exploding floating Octopus enemy as well as all the little miniature octopi that had been released from its corpse before they faded away you would get a valuable optional item. Where it would fit in the inventory screen? I don't know but at that age I never really thought about it.

Houle fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 26, 2011

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Houle posted:

Also the greatest hoax of them all. In the credits of Lester the Unlikely it specifically says you have not seen the last of Lester. Well, I'm still waiting. There was a sequel supposedly planned, surprisingly so considering how the first game turned out) but ultimately was cancelled - though I could have easily gotten that information years ago and spread false information.

The greatest hoax about this game is that anyone actually played it through to the end to even see that message.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
xyxyxyxyxyxyxy..., etc. <- Level Select code

It isn't that terrible of a game. Sure the controls and concept is absolutely horrendous but it was a fun quirky title I took as a parody of the island adventure sub genre. Growing up I only had about 14 games between 1989-2000, that being one of the three I owned on SNES I managed to get accustomed to the controls enough to run through it. It's a bad game, sure but I wouldn't say it is completely unplayable if you are going in thinking that it is a bad game you will have a hell of a lot more fun.

To bring it back to something sort of on topic in Ocarina of Time if you head over to the Goron Mines and enter Darunia's room if you look up you will notice a gap in the ceiling. For the longest time it was passed around that this was some sort of hidden entrance to a new dungeon that, naturally, we thought would eventually unlock the Triforce. It wasn't until much later did we figure out it was most likely just the original spawning point for when you beat Dondogo's Cavern

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Christ, I read the whole thread. Took over a week. :woop:

The unfinished WoW stuff was great back in the day before datamining became so common place. I did discover one mildly interesting thing since cataclysm: due north of the Twilight Highlands, in the fatigue zone there is a fleet of alliance ships just floating there, in formation as I recall. There are several out there with no mobs/npcs/anything in or around them.

While blizzard was notorious for leaving unfinished/forgotten assets all over the place a long time ago, it's unusual to see it in the most recent expansion. I did a little bit of searching on wowhead/wowpedia and didn't find anything, but I didn't exactly try very hard. I'd post screenshots, but I'm almost 6 weeks clean and hope to stay that way, they shouldn't be hard to find though. It's no upsidedown sinners, but it's something.

RE: The Fallout 3 Dunwich building mentioned ...somewhere in this thread. It's the only place in the game where you're subjected tocreepy, jump scare-inducing flashbacks, haunted doors, etc. The circumstances surrounding the place is expanded on in the Point Lookout DLC. According to the cut alternate plot, they were going to take it even further too.

I've been thinking about reinstalling Morrowind again lately. I don't think I will. Ever. :ghost:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

counterfeitsaint posted:

RE: The Fallout 3 Dunwich building mentioned ...somewhere in this thread. It's the only place in the game where you're subjected tocreepy, jump scare-inducing flashbacks, haunted doors, etc. The circumstances surrounding the place is expanded on in the Point Lookout DLC. According to the cut alternate plot, they were going to take it even further too.

You're almost right.

Fumes in one of the vaults in the game do cause some weird jump-scare-esque flashbacks, that are actually pulled off quite well, but they're more slow and suspenseful. There's also the hallucination scene in the Point Lookout main quest that's on par with them, which I think deserves a spot here because, if you explained it to someone, it sounds exactly like one of those creepypasta stories.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Going back briefly to the Earthbound discussion from a view pages ago, my favorite thing about it is whenever you show it to people who haven't seen it before. They always go "yeah it's a bit weird, but I don't see a baby :geno:". Then about 10 minutes later they edit their post saying "OH GOD THERE IT IS :gonk:". I never had a hard time seeing it because I had heard about it before I played the game. And with all the other creepy and weird poo poo going on during that fight the baby imagery isn't hard to buy.

Anyways, one of the hoaxes me and my friends spread around a lot as a kid involved Animal Crossing. We were utterly convinced there was some way to get into Tom Nook's store at night. No idea why. We just thought you could do it and tried a bunch of stupid things to make it happen.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

ChuckDHead posted:

It is harder, but is definitely possible to do, because if I can, anyone can (I never have completed and never will complete a Megaman game). Funnily enough, a friend said to me recently that you couldn't beat the Death Egg Zone as Knuckles because of the jump height. This jump height thing is a pretty popular misconception.

After watching this video, I'm thoroughly confused. I swear, as many times as I've played that, I always got stuck at that boss. The first part of it was easy enough, but for me he never dropped down to fire lasers. He just bobbed out of reach and then time would run out. Every time. I think I'm going to have to try that again, because something isn't right.

Also, is there any specific reason that Sonic 3 and S+K aren't rereleased together anymore? I'm pretty sure they're 2 separate things on XBL, and I think the old PC version I had was 2 separate games. This may also be something I'm mis-remembering.

edit - This video, linked in an earlier post. Whoops.

Rack fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 28, 2011

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

I remember my friends doing that when we were in 2nd grade and I had lived 14 years after that point thinking we were the only ones who knew about that.

Back to Earthbound, for a second: apparently the room you enter to reach the Devil's Machine is shaped like a cervix which lends more credence to the "abortion" theory http://superfani.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/oh_shi.jpg. Apparently all of his lines are taken from the rape scene's dialogue as if to suggest that he is a product of an evil event. That boss battle (especially with the music) freaks me the gently caress out.

Resident Evil 2: Akuma
There was a popular rumor that circulated the Internet following April Fool's day that originated from an Electronic Gaming Monthly article that talked about a secret character named "Akuma" from Street Fighter 2. Some said that you had to beat the game 7 times with an A rating or something while others said you had to beat the game using only a knife and not using any health power ups (impossible).

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

counterfeitsaint posted:

Christ, I read the whole thread. Took over a week. :woop:

The unfinished WoW stuff was great back in the day before datamining became so common place. I did discover one mildly interesting thing since cataclysm: due north of the Twilight Highlands, in the fatigue zone there is a fleet of alliance ships just floating there, in formation as I recall. There are several out there with no mobs/npcs/anything in or around them.

While blizzard was notorious for leaving unfinished/forgotten assets all over the place a long time ago, it's unusual to see it in the most recent expansion. I did a little bit of searching on wowhead/wowpedia and didn't find anything, but I didn't exactly try very hard. I'd post screenshots, but I'm almost 6 weeks clean and hope to stay that way, they shouldn't be hard to find though. It's no upsidedown sinners, but it's something.

It's part of a Horde quest line set piece. When you first go to Twilight Highlands, you're flying with Garrosh in a fleet of zepplins and support fighters. When Garrosh sees the alliance ships below, he orders the support fighters to attack, leaving the zepplins open to being attacked by dragons, and then you end up at Dragonmaw hold when everything goes to poo poo.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ashmole posted:

Apparently all of his lines are taken from the rape scene's dialogue as if to suggest that he is a product of an evil event.
This right here is an urban legend, as the commonly cited movie with the "rape scene" doesn't have one. Not only does that make sampling the scene difficult, but I imagine Itoi would've noticed there wasn't one while he was trawling the movie for nightmare lines.
If he had, he wouldn't have said there was a rape scene in the film in an interview, starting this whole thing off.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Ghostlight posted:

This right here is an urban legend, as the commonly cited movie with the "rape scene" doesn't have one. Not only does that make sampling the scene difficult, but I imagine Itoi would've noticed there wasn't one while he was trawling the movie for nightmare lines.
If he had, he wouldn't have said there was a rape scene in the film in an interview, starting this whole thing off.

Earthbound is for the most part a pretty happy game but that ending is so loving dark it's unbelievable.

It's why I don't see how people completely doubt the Secret of Evermore rumour of it beginning as a very dark game and turning a 180 at some point. Because the game lends extremely well to it.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

Lone Rogue posted:

It's why I don't see how people completely doubt the Secret of Evermore rumour of it beginning as a very dark game and turning a 180 at some point. Because the game lends extremely well to it.

Probably because it was quite obviously created by a dude in this effing thread in a single blog post dated like the day before/day of his post in the thread.

It's a cool creepy little story but there's no way in hell it's true. I guess there's a chance that the game's development changed directions, but that's not exactly an uncommon thing, and the basis for it presented here was a total fabrication.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Lone Rogue posted:

Earthbound is for the most part a pretty happy game but that ending is so loving dark it's unbelievable.

I don't know, that whole Happy-Happy village bit was pretty nuts.

mudcrabs
Dec 30, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Makes sense that the Morrowind hoax has a log with YCS posters in it considering Morrowind is one of our things.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Tardcore posted:

I don't know, that whole Happy-Happy village bit was pretty nuts.

Dude, that was the most happy place in the game. It had it in its name. Twice.

Fighting Territorial Oaks and Lil UFOs to get there really blue though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Capsaicin posted:

Dude, that was the most happy place in the game. It had it in its name. Twice.

Fighting Territorial Oaks and Lil UFOs to get there really blue though.

I was about to correct your spelling there, well played.

Wsobchak
Mar 28, 2011

by elpintogrande

counterfeitsaint posted:

RE: The Fallout 3 Dunwich building mentioned ...somewhere in this thread. It's the only place in the game where you're subjected to creepy, jump scare-inducing flashbacks, haunted doors, etc. The circumstances surrounding the place is expanded on in the Point Lookout DLC. According to the cut alternate plot, they were going to take it even further too.

Isn't that place basically a huge tribute to HP lovecraft though?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Lone Rogue posted:

:psyboom: Are you joking/trolling? The guy who wrote it did so from this thread months ago.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

:psyboom: Are you joking/trolling? The guy who wrote it did so from this thread months ago.

And even ignoring that it's obviously made up. Every single claim he makes is purposefully unverifiable. It's all "there was a this developer but he's not credited and only some people know about him", "he wrote horror stories for some underground magazines", "a dev confirms this but he wants to remain anonymous", "I found this crazy screenshot in some old magazine". And the screenshot would be very easy to fake by photoshopping the magazine page, printing it out and taking a bad quality photo of it.

It's still nicely done, at least it doesn't end with the secret mad developer coming out of the game to eat his soul.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Ghostlight posted:

It's a true story, but it gets often misinterpreted. What really did happen was that a young and impressionable Itoi walked into a film during a violent murder scene, which at his young age thought was a violent rape scene. Apparently it hosed up his perception of sex for many years to come. Regardless, the movie has no rape scene but apparently has a scene where a woman gets murdered with a lot of screaming and fighting.

Iron Prince fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 30, 2011

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sorry, I meant that part is true but Gigyas' lines being from that scene is false.

Wsobchak
Mar 28, 2011

by elpintogrande

Iron Prince posted:

Regardless, the movie has no rape scene but apparently has a scene where a woman gets murdered with a lot of screaming and fighting.

Not really, I've already seen the movie clip on a mother fansite, I think somebody posted it in this thread several pages back, it basically depicts a woman in traditional japanese garment lying on the grass while a shifty-looking soldier dude feels her up, who gradually manuvers his hands over the girls throat and choked her. It's not even pg-13 stuff.

http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/01/the-scene-that-inspired-giygas/

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You're not seeing that through the eyes of a terrified five-year-old.

The Pebbler
Nov 22, 2006

by T. Finn
I love this thread. Does anyone know of any more creepy/haunting stories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

The Pebbler posted:

I love this thread. Does anyone know of any more creepy/haunting stories?

Google up Ben Drowned, you'll love it.