Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Does anyone regret their Lighted leather case for the Kindle? I was about to get one but read reviews that say it doubles the weight making it nearly a pound. I really like how light the Kindle feels by itself, with the case it will be close to an ipad 2.

Just to add to the praise:

It really is nice to have around. It doesn't make it so heavy that you wouldn't wanna carry it around with you in your bag, and if you're sitting in a well-lit place, it's easy enough to pop it out. And on the other hand, if you suddenly find yourself with less-than-sufficient light, it's so much more convenient to just pop the light out than I would imagine carrying around a separate light to clip on would be.

I've also found it has a couple other nice aspects: If you have larger hands, it can sometimes be nice to space out your hands a bit while reading (if you're holding it with both hands), and the front half of the cover gives you this; if you're holding it one handed, you can pop the elastic strap all the way around, and slide your hand in for more security; and the thing I like about it most: when lying in bed, it helps prop the kindle up so I can lie on my side and not hold onto it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

While we're on the subject of the Kindle leather case, has anyone had problems with the leather cracking? I've had some lovely leather cases over the years that have dried out and cracked on the creases, and it makes me afraid to fold this one back. But it seems like this may be good enough quality that I shouldn't worry about it.

I got them as gifts, and I may have been more :haw: about the tiny light in the case and the fact that it draws power from the Kindle than I was about the Kindle itself.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Asclepius posted:

I've also found it has a couple other nice aspects: If you have larger hands, it can sometimes be nice to space out your hands a bit while reading (if you're holding it with both hands), and the front half of the cover gives you this; if you're holding it one handed, you can pop the elastic strap all the way around, and slide your hand in for more security; and the thing I like about it most: when lying in bed, it helps prop the kindle up so I can lie on my side and not hold onto it.

I do this too -- the thumb sticking out is in a perfect position to turn pages, and the elastic strap makes holding it up fairly effortless.

I know its been said, but even though the case doubles the weight, that initial weight just wasn't very much in the first place. I would say that it still ways less than or equal to an average book. I don't use the light all that often, but when I need it I'm tremendously glad its there.

It really has gotten to the point that I consider the Kindle + the lighted case to be one unit, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

ChetReckless posted:

I do this too -- the thumb sticking out is in a perfect position to turn pages, and the elastic strap makes holding it up fairly effortless.

I know its been said, but even though the case doubles the weight, that initial weight just wasn't very much in the first place. I would say that it still ways less than or equal to an average book. I don't use the light all that often, but when I need it I'm tremendously glad its there.

It really has gotten to the point that I consider the Kindle + the lighted case to be one unit, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Same.

I really was not sure if I would like it or not...I had the Kindle2i in a nice little unlit nylon cover that worked great and I loved the feel of it, but had to use a Mighty Brite etc to read in the dark.

So I got the newest Kindle, and decided to try the lighted cover to see how it worked. I remember there were issues before with the clips in the K2 so I was a bit nervous, but its a NICE case. I cannot imagine not having it now. Took me a few times to realize that 1)the light has to be pulled completely out, 2) it turns off when the Kindle goes to sleep and 3) it cannot be turned on when the K3 is asleep.

Its a really nice little case, I got the black leather one. No issues with weight, but I did put a little velcro on the back of my K3 and the area where the back of the K3 touches to avoid cracking the case. It did feel a little wiggly <if that makes sense> without it, but now the K3 is secure, the cover feels wonderful and I don't even notice the added weight tbh. The K3 itself feels very very light to me, and I am afraid of breaking it...it literally feels like nothing in my hands. With the cover? It feels like a smaller paperback in weight and hand-feel. My K3 lives in its case, I don't remove it...so it feels as the previous poster said, as a single unit to me.

I am happy with the purchase!!

Boxman posted:

While we're on the subject of the Kindle leather case, has anyone had problems with the leather cracking? I've had some lovely leather cases over the years that have dried out and cracked on the creases, and it makes me afraid to fold this one back. But it seems like this may be good enough quality that I shouldn't worry about it.

I got them as gifts, and I may have been more :haw: about the tiny light in the case and the fact that it draws power from the Kindle than I was about the Kindle itself.

It doesn't seem to be cracking...it so far seems to be decent quality. Only had a it a few months tho, so time will tell. I fold mine back a lot, you see, and have not noticed any issues at this time.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 16, 2011

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

Mu Zeta posted:

Does anyone regret their Lighted leather case for the Kindle? I was about to get one but read reviews that say it doubles the weight making it nearly a pound. I really like how light the Kindle feels by itself, with the case it will be close to an ipad 2.

I prefer the M-Edge Cambridge that I have over it (got the official lighted case as a gift), but it's still a very good case and the light is great to have built into it. I just wish it looked less like a case and more like a cover, which I why I prefer my other one.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982
Only 2 things keeping me from buying the lighted case are:

1) Cost. $60? Really? Is $1.20 in LEDs and wire really worth the $30 premium over the old unlit case?
2) Light is in the corner. I think it should have been placed dead-center. The unevenness would disturb me to no end, even if it lights the whole screen. Having one brighter corner would freak out my OCD.

Loved the unlit case until it borked my Kindle though. Wish that one would come back.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

FidgetyRat posted:

1) Cost. $60? Really? Is $1.20 in LEDs and wire really worth the $30 premium over the old unlit case?
2) Light is in the corner. I think it should have been placed dead-center. The unevenness would disturb me to no end, even if it lights the whole screen. Having one brighter corner would freak out my OCD.

Loved the unlit case until it borked my Kindle though. Wish that one would come back.

Get one from Amazon Warehouse deals. Mine was $25; people in this thread have found 'em for $15. Totally worth it. The light would get better coverage in the middle, but it's much easier to grab being in the corner, and it lights well enough to read in a pitch dark room without eye strain. The lighted case makes the Kindle3 go from "pretty cool" to "amazing technology."

edit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003DZ165W/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used There you go, $25

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

fishmech posted:

Thank you.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've tried to order it several times when it was backordered like that and the order always get cancelled the next day. $25 is too good a price I think.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Boxman posted:

The leather is pretty good but whatever's behind it isn't. I've folded back the cover a few times and now it's developed some creases in the underlying material.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I know we get a lot of complaints on here, and rightly so, about the hosed up prices of ebooks.

A lot of the time it's basically either a buck cheaper than the paperback, or it's sometimes twice as much depending on who's selling it.

I picked this up tonight, and just wanted to share :

That, to me, is awesome. It's one of the reasons I bought the thing. I would completely pass this thing up for 15$ at the store, but on amazon, for 3$? Downloading it right now :)

A lot of decent books are on there for around the 2-4$ mark, and the paperbacks are always 7 or 8$. I support the authors I can by grabbing the ebooks that I think I might like, especially when they are priced in a way that seems pretty damned normal to me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Achmed Jones posted:

Get one from Amazon Warehouse deals. Mine was $25; people in this thread have found 'em for $15. Totally worth it. The light would get better coverage in the middle, but it's much easier to grab being in the corner, and it lights well enough to read in a pitch dark room without eye strain. The lighted case makes the Kindle3 go from "pretty cool" to "amazing technology."

edit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003DZ165W/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used There you go, $25

My order was just cancelled, gently caress! This is the 3rd time I've tried to buy it at the refurb $25 price

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

FidgetyRat posted:

the light is even. There is the slightest difference between the top corner and the bottom that you'd have to look for to notice.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

My order was just cancelled, gently caress! This is the 3rd time I've tried to buy it at the refurb $25 price

Ouch! Mine was backordered, but they fulfilled the order. Hopefully they'll stop being weird about it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
So, how important is the 3G for the Kindle? I've got a WiFi hotspot on my phone, and wifi at home and work. My brother keeps pushing me to get the 3G, but is it really that big of a deal?

I've got about 50$ in credit, so 60$ for the 114 wifi model is pretty tempting.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

maxnmona posted:

Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?Is the 3G useful?Which cover should I get?

poo poo, I'm sorry, I've only been reading for the past few pages.

Going wifi, nevermind me.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

LamoTheKid posted:

So, how important is the 3G for the Kindle? I've got a WiFi hotspot on my phone, and wifi at home and work. My brother keeps pushing me to get the 3G, but is it really that big of a deal?

I've got about 50$ in credit, so 60$ for the 114 wifi model is pretty tempting.

To expand on maxnmona's near-exhaustive post when it comes to providing reasons to adopt 3G or not:

Unless you're planning to surf the web extensively on your Kindle (And I don't see why anyone would want to subject themselves to that), it takes long enough to read a book that you should come across another wifi hotspot before you need to download the next one.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

maxnmona posted:

You forgot "tell me about PDFs"

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Centipeed posted:

To expand on maxnmona's near-exhaustive post when it comes to providing reasons to adopt 3G or not:

Unless you're planning to surf the web extensively on your Kindle (And I don't see why anyone would want to subject themselves to that), it takes long enough to read a book that you should come across another wifi hotspot before you need to download the next one.

I challenge this post since it is only $50 extra for free 3G access as long as you own the device. Even if you don't use it that much, it is still awesome to be away from any wifi hotspots and be able to connect to the internet for downloading books or checking the news/email/twitter/etc.

(But then again, I don't have a cell phone so...)

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Sporadic posted:

This most certainly makes a difference - I would never be in a situation where I'd have my Kindle but not my phone, and since the internet browsing experience on the phone is much better, I'd always use the latter.

To someone in my position, paying the extra for free 3G seems like a waste.

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

Sporadic posted:

I challenge this post since it is only $50 extra for free 3G access as long as you own the device. Even if you don't use it that much, it is still awesome to be away from any wifi hotspots and be able to connect to the internet for downloading books or checking the news/email/twitter/etc.

I paid the extra $50 because I've done some international traveling lately and since I couldn't use my US phone overseas it was nice to have the ability to still check mail while I was moving around. The only place I ran into trouble connecting was a remote town in India. Obviously this isn't most people but it is something to keep in mind.

*edit: I can't spell.

Tupac shot Cobain fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 17, 2011

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I went with the ad supported version, and got the lit leather case. The case was about 9$ after my rewards points cancelled it out. I really don't mind a small ad on the home screen and the case covers the screensaver. No worries there. I have my phone for the 3G and when I travel overseas, it's for work and I expense those charges.

Loving the hell out of this thing already. I don't ever plan on using this for PDF or web browsing (I have my ipad for that). drat happy right now as my eyes are killing me from a long reading session last night.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So is it normal for the iPhone kindle app to have page numbers on books where the real Kindle doesn't? Seems odd.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The page numbers only show on the real Kindle if you hit the menu button. Amazon says they did this so you don't get distracted from the reading experience or something.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 18, 2011

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

On the Kindle 3, is there any way to zoom images in books beyond the edges of the screen? Maps and such are pretty small, even stretched to the screen extents.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I've discovered a funny side effect of using my Nook all the time. Now when I read paper books, I keep glancing up at the top corner of the page trying to find out what time it is.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Mnemosyne posted:

I've discovered a funny side effect of using my Nook all the time. Now when I read paper books, I keep glancing up at the top corner of the page trying to find out what time it is.

I went for a week trying to find the menu button on my analog books.

Something has to be done about this.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

My school is allegedly moving towards using digital textbook subscriptions and rolling the subscription cost into fees (making it mandatory)

I think this is pretty cool, but there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth at the announcement.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Foaming Chicken posted:

My school is allegedly moving towards using digital textbook subscriptions and rolling the subscription cost into fees (making it mandatory)

I think this is pretty cool, but there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth at the announcement.
The idea is good, it's just that if it's anything like most college textbooks they are going to charge you up the rear end. This semester I got two of my textbooks this year in pdf format and one of my teacher released all his notes in pdfs. It was incredibly useful being able to follow along in class on my kindle without having to carry around 40 lbs of books or printing his 200+ pages of notes. Being able to get all my books in pdf would be great, but considering Amazon almost always has the textbook I need for less than half price I wouldn't want it to be mandatory.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

TheLastManStanding posted:

The idea is good, it's just that if it's anything like most college textbooks they are going to charge you up the rear end. This semester I got two of my textbooks this year in pdf format and one of my teacher released all his notes in pdfs. It was incredibly useful being able to follow along in class on my kindle without having to carry around 40 lbs of books or printing his 200+ pages of notes. Being able to get all my books in pdf would be great, but considering Amazon almost always has the textbook I need for less than half price I wouldn't want it to be mandatory.

It's allegedly going to be ~$500 a year and will include updates throughout the rest of the program and a few years after. That's actually better than used textbooks. I was kind of looking forward to an excuse to buy an iPad, but I've watched classmates navigate and modify pdfs on ipads and I'm not impressed.

I actually like reading books on my laptop so I suppose I don't actually need another gadget

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

I bought the nook right after it first came out and have loved it since, so I never bothered looking at the kindle 3 when it came out. But it just died on me and although it is getting replaced I still went out to explore my other options and checked the k3 at the best buy. I've decided I really want that screen, but on a nook. What are the chances we will see a real 'nook 2' coming out soon with upgraded screen and internals?
I have played with a nook color (both my father and girlfriend have one) and while it is nice and fun to play with, for actual reading, I prefer the e-ink screen.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

nostrata posted:

I bought the nook right after it first came out and have loved it since, so I never bothered looking at the kindle 3 when it came out. But it just died on me and although it is getting replaced I still went out to explore my other options and checked the k3 at the best buy. I've decided I really want that screen, but on a nook. What are the chances we will see a real 'nook 2' coming out soon with upgraded screen and internals?
I have played with a nook color (both my father and girlfriend have one) and while it is nice and fun to play with, for actual reading, I prefer the e-ink screen.

I'm pretty sure I remember B&N filing new stuff for a new Nook. Everyone was convinced it was a tablet, but I'd bet it was a new E-Ink reader since the Nook Color is only 6 months old. So probably either sometime this summer, or right before the holidays (though I'd bet the latter).

cantfly
Jan 30, 2006

nostrata posted:

Wait until Tuesday. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2385535,00.asp

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
I sure hope it's a large-form E-ink reader! I really want to upgrade my cheapo reader to the Kindle DX, but paying 3x as much for 2x the screen is a little offputting.

(I also hope the next Kindle DX comes out soon and includes a price drop, so I can just buy that)

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Amazon to give in to ePub whining

quote:

http://goodereader.com/blog/tablet-slates/amazon-to-allow-epub-ebooks-on-the-kindle-e-reader/

We have some rather breaking news with online giant Amazon and their highly successful line of Kindle e-readers. It seems many publishers have been told by the company that in the near-future, they should be submitting their books to Amazon in EPUB format and not exclusively MOBI. They also went on to let us know that Amazon was indeed planning something BIG and that soon the Kindle ereader will have the full capability to read ePub books. This news has been confirmed by at least 4 publishing companies we have spoken with during the last few days.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Hopefully this is a software upgrade and not a Kindle4 feature or whatever.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's honestly a brilliant move for them.

If they go with the very latest SDK for Adobe Digital Editions, B&N's DRM was incorporated into that standard. That would mean that whatever thing Amazon is planning with ePub support would be able to read books from B&Ns store.

That means they open up the possibility of a large number of Nook owners to jump ship to Kindle when they release new hardware since they would be able to bring their already purchased books with them.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Awesome news!

If it works on the nook then it's a pretty sure bet it works on the sony reader as well, and I loves my sony :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Quantify! posted:

I sure hope it's a large-form E-ink reader! I really want to upgrade my cheapo reader to the Kindle DX, but paying 3x as much for 2x the screen is a little offputting.

(I also hope the next Kindle DX comes out soon and includes a price drop, so I can just buy that)

Eh, if it's got a 9.7 inch screen like the Kindle DX, it's gotta be expensive, large good e-ink screens simply cost a decent chunk of change.

Javid posted:

Hopefully this is a software upgrade and not a Kindle4 feature or whatever.

I think the only new features they've come out with that required a new device were text-to-speech on Kindle 2 (Kindle 1 simply can't handle the processing) and WiFi (The Kindle 1 and 2 and first DX simply don't have a wifi chipset to use).