Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

bobula posted:

My sister installed the GV app, and is now sending me texts complaining that "it's hijacked all of my voicemails and sends them to my gmail account instead of my phone! There's no option to stop the call forwarding and it won't stop even though I uninstalled it!"

I don't use GV and am not familiar with it at all, so not only do I not know what the issue is I have no clue how to fix it. Anyone have any advice?

Your sister has everything misconfigured, she needs to log into voice.google.com and remove her number or configure it correctly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

Every time I turn my Epic's screen off, I'm amazed by gingerbread crt animation yet again. I'm equally amazed at how quickly Samsung and Sprint are working on getting gingerbread out the door. Definitely a 180 from the Froyo fiasco.

Holy poo poo, I read about that but hadn't tried it... that is :coolfish:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Eyecannon posted:

Enjoying the latest leaked Gingerbread ROM on my Epic :cool: Netflix streaming really is awesome.

Is it really as complete and feature-ready as they're saying on XDA?

I'm using Simply AOSP (a froyo rom of course) on my Epic right now but the Gingerbread rom is really, really tempting even if it is clunky old RFS and Touchwhiz.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

The Entire Universe posted:

Is it really as complete and feature-ready as they're saying on XDA?

I'm using Simply AOSP (a froyo rom of course) on my Epic right now but the Gingerbread rom is really, really tempting even if it is clunky old RFS and Touchwhiz.

I would call it "nearly perfect"... I am having one slight issue with my Gmail staying in perfect sync... still looking for a solution to that.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So verizon's ending it's unlimited data plans soon, kinda glad I didn't switch over now

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
Anyone using Google Voice integration suddenly find your calls aren't being forwarded to your Sprint phone?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm using GV on the Nexus S 4G and all calls are routed to my phone since it uses my Sprint #. I'm still having to get used to having my voicemails completely controlled by GV though (not that I'm complaining cause it's nice having them backed up along with my texts).

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Jensen posted:

Anyone using Google Voice integration suddenly find your calls aren't being forwarded to your Sprint phone?

Hey nevermind it had nothing to do with GV! The Sprint network in central Florida is going haywire at the moment!

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

Eyecannon posted:

I would call it "nearly perfect"... I am having one slight issue with my Gmail staying in perfect sync... still looking for a solution to that.

Fixed this problem with a Titanium Backup data delete... worked perfect afterwards.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Getting antsy waiting on an announcement about the Evo 3D.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
Getting antsy waiting on an announcement about the Evo 3D.

This wait is loving killing me. Every time I look at my Pre I think about how incredible its going to be to have nearly 4x as many pixels and a whole extra inch of screen space in front of my face. :v:

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet

change my name posted:

So verizon's ending it's unlimited data plans soon, kinda glad I didn't switch over now

You say that like sprint won't follow suit once everyone has done away with unlimited data

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Deadpan Science posted:

You say that like sprint won't follow suit once everyone has done away with unlimited data

This is pretty much it. Don't make it a certainty that Sprint will have unlimited data forever. I think for the most part this is just how they have to play the game in order to be competitive.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

averox posted:

This is pretty much it. Don't make it a certainty that Sprint will have unlimited data forever. I think for the most part this is just how they have to play the game in order to be competitive.

The $10 "smartphone fee" will help alleviate the problems of meeting consumer demand with unlimited data, but yeah it's going to be tough to continue offering relatively cheap unlimited data especially if Sprint continues to add smartphone users.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
I hope they can continue unlimited as long as possible. I know sometimes I use the hell out of it. I just find it tough to imagine that they can keep it going for extremely long if you consider the trend towards mobile data usage and media rich phones.

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet

averox posted:

I hope they can continue unlimited as long as possible.

Knock on wood please

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

averox posted:

I know sometimes I use the hell out of it. I just find it tough to imagine that they can keep it going for extremely long if you consider the trend towards mobile data usage and media rich phones.

Yeah all that competition in the market surely will force the wireless companies to offer unlimited data.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

diospadre posted:

Yeah all that competition in the market surely will force the wireless companies to offer unlimited data.

To put it concisely, Sprint's network vision roadmap is geared towards being able to carry huge amounts of data compared to the other big carriers. Sprint is planning massive data capability in the next few years, and the general consensus is that they will be able to offer unlimited data for a while to come, and even then they would be able to offer more fairly priced data rates if/when they do go to capped or metered plans. Not saying they won't eventually hit the wall like the rest of them, but Sprint has been more geared towards data capacity than the others recently and it should pay dividends for them and us in the near future.

e: In retrospect I misread your post. However, the point is that Sprint is positioned to be the carrier for people who like to use their phones for more than just voice and text, and to be able to do so whenever and in whatever quantity they'd like. With the crazy-rear end amount of spectrum they're ending up with, little stands in the way of providing shitloads of data to customers, short of the sheer logistics of putting up towers/getting partners to put up towers (the spectrum they hold is higher-capacity, but lower range/building pen).

Look a few pages back in this thread to see people with a better grasp on this discussing it.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 20, 2011

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Does a family plan have to have phone #s all in one area code? I'm considering adding my sister to my existing family plan but she doesn't live in my state.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

falz posted:

Does a family plan have to have phone #s all in one area code? I'm considering adding my sister to my existing family plan but she doesn't live in my state.

I added my two lines (previously on our own EPRP plan) with area codes from western New York to my boss's plan (also EPRP) which was two Burbank/SFV area codes without incident.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Thanks. Did adding the other lines extend your 2 year agreement? I suspect it would if I take a subsidized phone.

Edit: I went through most of the checkout process and yes, it does extend it. In this case it's a new # for someone who lived out of the country last year, so not transferring a line.

falz fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 20, 2011

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

falz posted:

Thanks. Did adding the other lines extend your 2 year agreement? I suspect it would if I take a subsidized phone.

Just the act of moving the lines between plans didn't change anything except lose Sprint the extra ~$100 a month for the last 4-5 months of my original contract (that still doesn't totally make sense to me, but whatever!) I didn't have to pay any kind of ETF, my upgrade date is the same (July 1st of this year), etc.

Once I upgrade either of my lines with a new phone subsidy in July (or sooner, if I can work it), they will be extended another two years independently of the boss's two lines.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
Hey all - I'm selling my evo (which is rooted) since i got my nexus s...
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3412811

price is totally negotiable! I'm finally getting used to the size difference between the nexus and the evo. But I don't think i'll ever stop dropping the nexus on my face when I use it laying down, its so loving slippery

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

helsabot posted:

Hey all - I'm selling my evo (which is rooted) since i got my nexus s...
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3412811

price is totally negotiable! I'm finally getting used to the size difference between the nexus and the evo. But I don't think i'll ever stop dropping the nexus on my face when I use it laying down, its so loving slippery

You may also want to post here.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My friend's on SERO and is finally looking to upgrade to SERO Premium since he can't gchat at his new job. Is the optimum S at walmart still the best choice? I assume he's eligible for the 2 year upgrade, how does he check that online?

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

mastershakeman posted:

My friend's on SERO and is finally looking to upgrade to SERO Premium since he can't gchat at his new job. Is the optimum S at walmart still the best choice? I assume he's eligible for the 2 year upgrade, how does he check that online?

What I did as a SERO customer is just call the SERO phone number, have them switch me to the $40 SERO Premium package, then they transferred me right to phone sales, who handled everything and my phone arrived 2 days later.

Super convenient, gently caress dealing with any store for that.

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet
Some sales guy at a sprint store told my friend that he wouldn't be able to buy an evo 3d off contract. Is that true?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Deadpan Science posted:

Some sales guy at a sprint store told my friend that he wouldn't be able to buy an evo 3d off contract. Is that true?

It's not true at all as long as they're willing to pay $500 or whatever for the phone. That is unless Sprint is doing something very different with the Evo 3D which is not terribly likely.

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet

900ftjesus posted:

It's not true at all as long as they're willing to pay $500 or whatever for the phone. That is unless Sprint is doing something very different with the Evo 3D which is not terribly likely.

That's what he asked the salesperson about doing. Maybe that guy just wanted to get a contract for some reason

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

3rd party stores don't have to sell outright and pretty much always will refuse to because there is no margin/commission. Corporate stores last I checked are required to, but I wouldn't' be surprised if some reps discourage it to save the 3Ds for new and upgrade sales. Sprint tries to avoid the whole "hoarding phones for new customers" problem that you get with new phone launches, but its bound to happen a little bit.

From a 3rd party perspective, its slightly crazy on the commissions difference between someone switching and starting a new account on Sprint, and someone upgrading a phone that already has Sprint (this is why Best Buy usually has new activations at $50 cheaper). I can understand why, but it is a fairly big difference.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 20, 2011

Pizer
Aug 8, 2004
Does porting your sprint number to your google voice number allow you to receive MMS on that number, albeit via the normal SMS messaging program and not google voice?

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
Well, looks like I'm moving back to Sprint. Verizon's move to tiered Data pretty much seals that for me.

Nexus 4G, here I come! Hopefully this thread is right and Sprint continues on with unlimited data for a good long time.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

Pizer posted:

Does porting your sprint number to your google voice number allow you to receive MMS on that number, albeit via the normal SMS messaging program and not google voice?

MMS is received normally through Sprint as opposed to Google Voice. It works fine from my experience.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
EVO 3D is now available for pre-order at Sprint stores (as well as the HTC View tablet) for a $50 gift card each

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
You're basically just buying a spot regardless of your upgrade status, correct? So in theory I could go buy a preorder and beg for a couple-weeks-early upgrade whenever the phone releases? I guess what I'm wondering is whether my upgrade date will disqualify me for preorder or not.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Did I miss a price being announced for the EVO 3D? If one hasn't been announced, it seems kind of foolish to preorder a phone without knowing price OR release date.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Did I miss a price being announced for the EVO 3D? If one hasn't been announced, it seems kind of foolish to preorder a phone without knowing price OR release date.
No, you haven't missed anything. No price or release date yet, just guesses and rumors.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

sirbeefalot posted:

You're basically just buying a spot regardless of your upgrade status, correct? So in theory I could go buy a preorder and beg for a couple-weeks-early upgrade whenever the phone releases? I guess what I'm wondering is whether my upgrade date will disqualify me for preorder or not.

I'm still a bit busy at work so sorry if this was at the previous page but what's your upgrade date again?

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Alman posted:

EVO 3D is now available for pre-order at Sprint stores (as well as the HTC View tablet) for a $50 gift card each

Also Target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm still a bit busy at work so sorry if this was at the previous page but what's your upgrade date again?

Both of my lines should have an upgrade date of July 1st. So operating under the baseless assumption that the phone releases some time in early-mid June, I figure I could maybe sweet talk them into selling it to me with the full discount 2-3 weeks early, and would consider plunking down the $50 to get one at release instead of waiting until my upgrade date and possibly having supply issues. My girlfriend isn't as NOWNOWNOW about getting a new phone, so we'll probably just wait for July 1st for her and get her a Nexus S.

Also, we're on EPRP, so that probably throws a monkey wrench into everything anyway. :v: