Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

dur posted:

Now I just need a bunch of dirt. (More beds will probably be coming next year, hence their not being centered.)

It's totally OK just to set these on top of the grass, put down some landscaping fabric/newspaper/cardboard and fill them, right?

Use cardboard (brown only, not colored). Soak it in water before laying it down and make sure edges are well overlapped, grass WILL find its way through if you're not careful
Cardboard is best since its free, effective and breaks down in about one season allowing earthworms to come visit your bed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepedestrian
Dec 13, 2004
hey lady, you call him dr. jones!
So this is on all of my basil plants to varying degrees:

Anyone know what this is and what can be done?

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

Decided to leave my beds with the stakes out of the ground since they make pretty good catches for the fencing.

Everything so far (wood, topsoil, manure, fencing) has been free except for the seeds and screws. Pretty happy with it.

Front bed: 2x butternut squash
Middle bed: 1x butternut squash, 1x courgette
Back bed: empty atm

El Bano
Mar 30, 2008
I don't know why, but if the packets says that the plants can be finnicky to grow, I just throw them over my shoulder and wait, but if the packet says it will grow in the drat sahara or the lush jungles of south america with equal aplomb, I will just murder it. For the life of me, I can't get mint to grow. Catnip, lemon balm, spearmint, peppermint, they all poke thier heads up and then whither away. Ditto for cucumbers. last year I had piles of them by now. This year, only the Lemon Cukes have gotten beyond one or two true leaves and even the ones that are growing pretty well still haven't flowered. Tomatos(can be tricky in inland Mobile) on the other hand, I'm going to drown in them before long.

dinozaur
Aug 26, 2003
STUPID
DICK

thepedestrian posted:

So this is on all of my basil plants to varying degrees:

Anyone know what this is and what can be done?

Assuming this is affecting all the leaves of the plant it could be salt burn(caused by over-fertilization). If shaded leaves are not symptomatic then it could simply be sun scald.

thepedestrian
Dec 13, 2004
hey lady, you call him dr. jones!

dinozaur posted:

Assuming this is affecting all the leaves of the plant it could be salt burn(caused by over-fertilization). If shaded leaves are not symptomatic then it could simply be sun scald.

I have been using John's Recipe diluted based on the directions on the bottle and sprayed on the leaves about once every week and a half, which is fine according to the directions. Could that be doing it? My jalapenos and tomatillos are fine and I have been doing the same with them.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

I'll give this a shot here: two years ago there was a booth at are Farmer's Market who sold an edible vine that was slightly reddish with small green leaves. It has a mild taste and he would sell it in bags sort of like bean sprouts in terms of size. Dude said it was easy to grow in plentiful quantity, and was a popular food raw or cooked in Europe. Any idea what the hell I was eating? Almost forgot, it grows in Front Range Colorado..

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

jfballin posted:

I'll give this a shot here: two years ago there was a booth at are Farmer's Market who sold an edible vine that was slightly reddish with small green leaves. It has a mild taste and he would sell it in bags sort of like bean sprouts in terms of size. Dude said it was easy to grow in plentiful quantity, and was a popular food raw or cooked in Europe. Any idea what the hell I was eating? Almost forgot, it grows in Front Range Colorado..

Buckwheat?
I have a variety that's perennial, red stem, vining, mild taste. Popular permaculture plant. I don't know what the official variety name is but its been described to me as "himalayan buckwheat"

dwoloz fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 17, 2011

Pluto
Apr 18, 2006

Weak.

thepedestrian posted:

I have been using John's Recipe diluted based on the directions on the bottle and sprayed on the leaves about once every week and a half, which is fine according to the directions. Could that be doing it? My jalapenos and tomatillos are fine and I have been doing the same with them.

I do lots of foliage feeding/neem oil applications on my plants. When you do it has a huge impact, during the day can cause leaf burn. I spray my plants during the last hour of daylight, just long enough for them to dry off before nighttime.

I made the mistake of doing a neem spray in the middle of a hot summer day before. They were pretty fried.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

jfballin posted:

Sounds just like Malabar spinach.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I've got three different methods of starting my pitaya seeds going.

1. Peat pellets - I've put 3-4 seeds per pellet with 72 pellets and are domed. I did this about 20 days ago and only see about 20 seeds germinated and have the tiny two leaves thing going. I also put about 20 germinated seeds from wet paper towel in there and they are not really growing either, but are still green. I might have killed some seeds because I put the dome outside in 95F heat a couple times and might have steamed the seeds.

2. I got a domed tray from the grocery store and put seed starter mix in it. I probably put in over 100 seeds in there too about 11 days ago. Looks like 40 seeds germinated and have already surpassed the peat pellet seeds in growth, but not by much.

3. Third method I sifted the seed started mix and put it in a plastic shallow bowl and put in about 100 seeds. For about 3 days I covered the bowl with a large zip lock bag but it was getting too tight and was afraid of dragging the sprouted seeds around so I've stopped using any kind of cover for this set of seeds. They've also surpassed the peat pellet seeds and are right on par with the domed grocery tray.

All seeds came from a pitaya fruit that I bought and washed them the best I could. I was hoping a bit better germination rate, but since I planted so many seeds I still have a good amount of potential seedlings. I just hope they start rooting soon because I'm anxious to see some thorns.

If anybody has any experience with pitaya, I'd love to have some tips.

Pluto
Apr 18, 2006

Weak.

Marchegiana posted:

It does! I'm actually growing the red vined variety as we speak:

It IS super easy to grow, but my germination rates were about 60%. I don't know if it was my vendor or not but I thought it worth mentioning.

ijii posted:

If anybody has any experience with pitaya, I'd love to have some tips.

I had to google what this was. Never eaten one before but it looks beautiful. Here's a description from Dave's garden:

"Dragon fruit is cultivated in tropical regions around the world. The plant of the dragon fruit can grow up to twenty feet (around six meters). It flourishes in hot regions with a heavy rainfall. Periods of cold will kill the plant, and it loves the high temperatures found in tropical countries. The flowers of the dragon fruit plant only bloom at night and usually only live for one night. Pollination happens at this time to allow the fruit to emerge. The flowers of the dragon fruit give out a very beautiful scent, and the smell can fill the night air wherever the plant grows."

I love tropical plants! Keep us updated on how they're growing.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Marchegiana posted:

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Our little veggie spot that may double in size next week.

EDIT for over sized image. I'll fix it later.

It's later. My crappy hosting

(several)Bell, hot, and banana peppers.
2 Tomato plants.
Some onions and garlic
Raspberries that I believe the birds will be a issue with.
And some things my wife planted that I cant remember what they are.

Other green things growing.

evilnissan fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 19, 2011

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
So minor trip report here in 9b.

The San Marzanos are happy as clams and are showing fruit. The chile plants (hungarian wax, italian sweets, chile de arbol are all happy as hell and fruiting too. The problem children are the bell peppers. The plants themselves seem quite happy, but nil on fruit. We had a similar problem last year with our bell peppers as well. This however is nutty. 6 plants, 1 pepper. Thassit.

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

You are part of a long tradition
of needless self-sacrifice so that
dickbags can eat overpriced foie gras.
This creepy thing showed up in my hydroponic garden, and apparently it has been there for a while, lurking and stealing nutrients from some of my lovely arugula. I have no idea what this is, or how it got there. One of my line cooks (this garden is at a restaurant) thinks it might be some kind of squash? All I know is that it looks evil.

Any thoughts? Or, anyone know of a good, searchable online plant database?

Edit: I think it may be some kind of nightshade? It looks a little bit like the ground cherry plant. I'm really hesitant to yank it until I find out what it is, at least it's only taking up space in one of my pots.

reserve fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 19, 2011

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

reserve posted:

This creepy thing showed up in my hydroponic garden, and apparently it has been there for a while, lurking and stealing nutrients from some of my lovely arugula. I have no idea what this is, or how it got there. One of my line cooks (this garden is at a restaurant) thinks it might be some kind of squash? All I know is that it looks evil.

Looks like Horsenettle. It is evil.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Looks like Horsenettle. It is evil.

Doesn't look thorny enough for that, unless there's some non-thorny/prickly version I've never seen before.

If you don't know what it is, I'd get rid of it. Rarely do volunteers do any good in my book and considering it's a hydroponic system I think that goes double.

avan
Apr 26, 2010

reserve posted:

This creepy thing showed up in my hydroponic garden

Care to post pics of the whole garden? I am extremely interested.

MolierePumpsMyNads
May 2, 2011

Alleric posted:

So minor trip report here in 9b.

The San Marzanos are happy as clams and are showing fruit. The chile plants (hungarian wax, italian sweets, chile de arbol are all happy as hell and fruiting too. The problem children are the bell peppers. The plants themselves seem quite happy, but nil on fruit. We had a similar problem last year with our bell peppers as well. This however is nutty. 6 plants, 1 pepper. Thassit.

Are they still in flower? What's your weather been like? I've never had any luck with bells (8b) up until 2 years ago. It's just never sunny enough or the nights get too cold for much of the flowering season.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

reserve posted:

Edit: I think it may be some kind of nightshade? It looks a little bit like the ground cherry plant. I'm really hesitant to yank it until I find out what it is, at least it's only taking up space in one of my pots.

I agree, I think it's something in the nightshade/tomato family. The purple tinge, hariness and growth structure fit. Could be any number of things including tomatillo, cape gooseberry/ground cherry, potato, eggplant or the often weedy "garden huckleberry" aka black nightshade

justasmile
Aug 22, 2006

Everybody's free to feel good...

MolierePumpsMyNads posted:

Are they still in flower? What's your weather been like? I've never had any luck with bells (8b) up until 2 years ago. It's just never sunny enough or the nights get too cold for much of the flowering season.

We had luck last year sprinkling some epsom salt around the base of the pepper plants. They had been blossoming but not setting fruit. YMMV, but it made our plants a lot more productive.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

MolierePumpsMyNads posted:

Nope. They had blooms, but none bore fruit. Now they're just green and passive.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Seconding epsom salts, though I usually mix mine into a watering can and water it on. About 1-2tbsp per gallon of water. Tomatoes and peppers really benefit from the extra shot of magnesium, particularly during fruit set.

Hasseltkoffie
Nov 22, 2006
I have a bunch of chili peppers growing in the window sill (southside, so a fair amount of sun), the Padron and Jalapeno TAM are blooming a bit. Also cherry tomatoes on the far right, blooming and producing already (counted around 10-15 :)) Also a few small strawberry plants that are blooming/producing despite being pityfully tiny and sad looking and pumkin shoots, they will go in the garden soon.

I keep the smaller plants and shoots under the light. I don't really know what to do with them when they get bigger, I guess they'll have to be repotted to bigger pots soonish, but I kinda ran out of space. The sad strawberries are in the left corner.

Next week I'm recieving a batch of "Biobizz Bio" fertilizer, I'm curious how that will go. Ordered two bottles, one for growth and one for blooming.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle

Got my first jalapenos this morning. Going to use them for dinner tonight, and some pickled peppers as well.

MolierePumpsMyNads
May 2, 2011

Alleric posted:

Nope. They had blooms, but none bore fruit. Now they're just green and passive.

Bells can fail to pollinate if they get cold or too hot, so possibly the case. If your season is long enough they may re-flower in a little while. Never knew about the epsom salts though, I just amended with crushed eggshells cos I knew peppers liked the calcium.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
Hrm... so the Earthbox folks always say to mix in dolemite to the top inch or two of the soil if planting tomatoes. Should this be done for peppers as well?

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Wikipedia says it lowers pH and adds magnesium. Probably wouldn't hurt

mcrandello
Mar 30, 2001

Eh, they're all nightshades so it couldn't really hurt too much. I usually throw a heaping teaspoon or so of (miracle grow porcine, no mad cow plz) bone meal around the peppers when the leaves start to get all 'gathered' up in between the veins. So far all the pepper plants have produced well except the Jamaican pepper plant and the Asian ones I put into a bed under a live oak.

This year it winds up me and my roommate had been both fertilizing the plants without collaborating on who did what when so the garden is turning into a jungle at the moment. Turns out it's really difficult to overfeed in Florida.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

mcrandello posted:

Eh, they're all nightshades so it couldn't really hurt too much. I usually throw a heaping teaspoon or so of (miracle grow porcine, no mad cow plz) bone meal around the peppers when the leaves start to get all 'gathered' up in between the veins. So far all the pepper plants have produced well except the Jamaican pepper plant and the Asian ones I put into a bed under a live oak.

You may want to think about moving the one under your oak tree, they're famous for allelopathy and like to inhibit or outright poison anything growing within the radius of their crown.

And yeah, bunched-up leaves basically mean a calcium defiency, nail them with something containing a crapload of it and they'll spring right back.

I personally use the Botanicare Pure pelleted stuff(Sunshine Hydroponics is right down the road and carries it) and my peppers always go balls-out crazy after I add it to either the soil or their pots. There is a definite, marked, difference between a pot that I've added it to, and one that just got the normal Miracle-gro tomato/veggie potting mixture, that's for sure. You can also do foliar feeding with it and not have to worry about leaf burn, which is nice in the blazing-rear end-hot sun and current lack of rain we have here in Orlando.

Tangent to all this, gently caress ants and their god damned aphid ranching. Insecticidal soap doesn't do poo poo when they just continually truck in some more aphids to replace the ones I killed off, but I'm not all that wild about having to spray pesticides all over my peppers to keep them from being sucked dry, either.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I let some of my mustard greens go to seed. Can you eat the unripened seed pods?

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

dwoloz posted:

Wikipedia says it lowers pH and adds magnesium. Probably wouldn't hurt

Think I'd be ok making a solution and adding it to the watering schedule for a bit?

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

Alterian posted:

I let some of my mustard greens go to seed. Can you eat the unripened seed pods?

Sure can but nab em while they're still young and tender. They get woody at a certain point and makes lousy eats

Re: ants farming aphid butt sugar
Wage ant war, kill em. They tunnel in the soil and help oxygenate it...but gently caress em, they're non-native and if you have worms, they'll oxygenate the soil just fine. Borax in water mixed with sugar will kill them or you can buy it premixed; Terro is a good brand. Non toxic

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

dwoloz posted:

Sure can but nab em while they're still young and tender. They get woody at a certain point and makes lousy eats

I was munching on one and it tasted like a cross between a string bean and broccoli. I can totally put that in my salads.

I was just worried it would end up being the worlds best laxative or something like that.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

dwoloz posted:

They tunnel in the soil and help oxygenate it

Hahahahahahaha soil in Orlando.

(Central Florida is basically dirty playground sand, we don't really have soil to speak of unless you go into an area that's been swampy and wet for a good long time)

Thanks for the borax/sugar tip, I'll mix some up into jar lids around the base of the plants and see if that slows the ants down enough to not need diazinon. Last summer we got basically no rain so the ants went nuts, I had an ant hole every 5 feet and had to nail the whole front of the yard just to avoid stirring them up when putting the garbage out.

E: /\/\/\ I guess you'll find out in pretty short order.

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

Some fucker -- presumably a slug -- has butchered my young butternut squash plant only a couple of nights after I planted it out. Is this plant now beyond survival, or can it resurrect itself?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Umbriago posted:

Some fucker -- presumably a slug -- has butchered my young butternut squash plant only a couple of nights after I planted it out. Is this plant now beyond survival, or can it resurrect itself?

That little bud in the middle is a secondary set of leaves. It could well recover, as long as there's no further nibbles. I wouldn't have planted it out yet, mine are on their third or fourth set of leaves and I'm only just thinking of planting them out. I've lost too many cucurbits to slugs and snails over the years.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Yep, looks like the first true leaves are still ok. Slugs can be a bitch; they sure are around here

You can cut the top and bottom off a water bottle and put it around your plant (push it into the ground). This deters slugs but they might climb over it. Make it as tall as possible
Another thing you can do is put a copper strip around your plant or a line of diatemaceous earth. They won't cross either of these
You can also try the ol beer bait trick but Ive had minimal success with this
Finally, you can go out hunting them at night. Ive heard of people getting a skewer and just going at em. This could help significantly thin their numbers but would require lots of nights of hunting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MolierePumpsMyNads
May 2, 2011
Mulch with holly leaves, it kept the slugs off my lettuce last year when they ate everything else in reach.

Copper tape works for a while until it gets too much of a patina on it.

I strangely haven't had the snail and slug problems I was expecting with all this rain, but I'm not sure if it's my new location or the strange array of weather this year. So far I've picked off maybe 5 in all, but there are a shitload of blackbirds and magpies around. Any UK gardeners having/not having issues?