Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
How? The robots existed before they did that whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm thinking the heart has something to do with the mysterious Seed Bismuth that's been thrown around in the comic before, including just a couple of pages ago.

I'm also thinking this idea of buildings that grow might have something do with why the court is so absurdly enormous beyond all practical use. What if they found a way to grow buildings like they were organic but it just never stopped?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 17, 2011

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

How? The robots existed before they did that whole thing.

:downs: Derp, yeah. Did not think that one through.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

:downs: Derp, yeah. Did not think that one through.

There still might be a connection. I mean, if you can build super awesome robots around human hearts, imagine what you can build around a superer, awesomer elf heart.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

DontMockMySmock posted:

There still might be a connection. I mean, if you can build super awesome robots around human hearts, imagine what you can build around a superer, awesomer elf heart.

Boxbot.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Fucknag posted:

Boxbot.

It's amazing how badly some people misspell "Robox."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DontMockMySmock posted:

It's amazing how badly some people misspell "Robox."

No, he's got it right, because elves are scum.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

MikeJF posted:

I'm thinking the heart has something to do with the mysterious Seed Bismuth that's been thrown around in the comic before, including just a couple of pages ago.

I'm also thinking this idea of buildings that grow might have something do with why the court is so absurdly enormous beyond all practical use. What if they found a way to grow buildings like they were organic but it just never stopped?

Well, there is something mechanical that can grow, but I don't think it's been shown what it is. All we know is it's connected to the mystery birds, and those aren't (known) Court tech. Kat will probably figure something out about them, based on the hints that she's attracted to how birds work and she and Annie have a habit of poking around where they ought not to be.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Creepy, you say?

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

MikeJF posted:

I have a theory that the seed bismuth is a time machine that only goes one way. People stumble upon it in the future and travel back, adding their advanced tech to the pile, all in the courts attempt to become God or godlike. However, some events, like the splitting of the court and the wood are immutable, either because Coyote always ensures some things always happen the same way, or because the events are just fated. It also helps explain why so little is known about some of the founders, or why some of it is obfuscated: either they literally didn't exist in that time until they appeared, leaving them no history to record, or it was obfuscated so that people didn't realize that time travelers were involved in the court from the very beginning.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
This is a photograph from the National Geographic website (complete page is here). It's just a picture of Central Park in New York city... but it does remind me of something, don't you agree?

Goes to show how fantastic the real world can be.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That's pretty neat! The trick of lighting even makes it look like there's a deep canyon separating it.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
That's a truly marvelous photo and it fits the theme of the comic so well.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Of course, Central Park itself is nothing more than carefully constructed artificial "nature"...

nothings
Sep 29, 2008

Mercury Hat posted:

Well, there is something mechanical that can grow, but I don't think it's been shown what it is.

It was shown what that was. It was shown that that was Ysengrim being a big fat liar.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Oops! Well darn, now I don't know what to think.

Related to that page, I wonder if Ysengrin makes it a habit to eat fairies or if he did it to help them pass their test. I remember him not thinking highly of the forest creatures that do the test.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Sometimes a dude just gets hungry

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

nothings posted:

It was shown what that was. It was shown that that was Ysengrim being a big fat liar.

The bird could have grown after he buried it.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Is that a typo in the last panel or does manmate mean something and oh god I shouldn't have googled that.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Nah, it's just the lettering tripping you up. The word is "inanimate".

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Fragrag posted:

Is that a typo in the last panel or does manmate mean something and oh god I shouldn't have googled that.

manmate: adj. "inanimate" in a font where the i and n look like an m.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Well call me Clint, I didn't see that at all.

nothings
Sep 29, 2008

McGravin posted:

The bird could have grown after he buried it.

As far as I recall:

It was a bird when Ysengrim found it by the faires. It was a bird when Ysengrim presented it to the court many months later. There's no evidence that it ever grew from a smaller thing into a bigger thing at all except that he claims so, and yet he was already lying in the first place about other aspects of that story. So I don't see any reason to give that idea credence.

quote:

manimate

Weirdly, I saw it this way too and it took me a while to decipher it. What's weird is there's another word starting with "in" in the same balloon that I read fine. (It's not that weird, yes I can see why they're different. But it's a little odd, anyway.)

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Golems, Annie? You mean...like Jones?!*

*Who is not a robot.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Fighting Trousers posted:

Golems, Annie? You mean...like Jones?!*

*Who is not a robot.

:doh: Her being a golem certainly fits really well. Of course, it probably will not be that simple.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Matlock Birthmark posted:

:doh: Her being a golem certainly fits really well. Of course, it probably will not be that simple.

Wouldn't Coyote call her Wandering Heart then?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

BrainWeasel posted:

Wouldn't Coyote call her Wandering Heart then?
She's a sentient security camera.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
Jones is a troll. Stone-skinned due to being out in daylight, extraordinarily heavy due to being stone-skinned, can't swim because she grew up in a hill cave and her impassivity is actually due to her being too dumb to understand a lot of what's going on. Plus, she makes a habit of deliberately angering people and the running joke as to what Jones is is designed to be kinda nose-tweaking, so she's a trolling troll who is a troll. Very meta, Siddell, but I am wise to your schemes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nothings posted:

As far as I recall:

It was a bird when Ysengrim found it by the faires. It was a bird when Ysengrim presented it to the court many months later. There's no evidence that it ever grew from a smaller thing into a bigger thing at all except that he claims so, and yet he was already lying in the first place about other aspects of that story. So I don't see any reason to give that idea credence.

Well when he found it by the faeries he buried it rather than just took it then; I assumed he did so because he knew it would grow and wanted to incite an incident. Why else do it?

I used to think Jones might be a golem before Coyote called her Wandering Eye; now I'm more partial to the idea that she might literally be an eye of Coyote that went off to have a life of its own.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Jones seems far too serious to have ever been a part of Coyote, and she certainly didn't act like he had the same kind of ownership over her that Annie has over Reynardine.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Pester posted:

Jones seems far too serious to have ever been a part of Coyote, and she certainly didn't act like he had the same kind of ownership over her that Annie has over Reynardine.

That's obviously just it. Jones is the manifestation of ALL of Coyote's seriousness.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Sure is awkward being a hardcore skeptic scientist when your best friend is fulla magic.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Which would explain why you never see Tony Stark chilling with Doctor Strange despite them being Moustache Bros

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Phy posted:

Which would explain why you never see Tony Stark chilling with Doctor Strange despite them being Moustache Bros

Give them 10-15 years, Stark will be renting his manufacturing wing out to Strange to pay off the mortgage.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Kismet posted:

Give them 10-15 years, Stark will be renting his manufacturing wing out to Strange to pay off the mortgage.

Arachnid research lab. His dad used to make giant horseshoe crabs in there or something.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

McGravin posted:

Arachnid research lab. His dad used to make giant horseshoe crabs in there or something.

Rusty WISHES he was Tony Stark. His brother, maybe...

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"What the hell is this thing made out of?"
"Nothing."
"Come on..."
"All right, fine, I might have used a few unorthodox parts."
"Just tell me one."
"A... mutant."

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Fuego Fish posted:

"What the hell is this thing made out of?"
"Nothing."
"Come on..."
"All right, fine, I might have used a few unorthodox parts."
"Just tell me one."
"A... mutant."

"Hello? WALKING HEART."

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Rush Limbaugh constantly whines about fire elementalists getting jobs over carbon-based lifeforms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
In hindsight, Kat's skepticism on magic and mysticism really is kind of silly. Her mom's a wizard, her best friend's guardian is a forest god, and her best friend is half magic monster and can fly and stuff.