Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Bene Elim posted:

Space horizon is relative to the largest local body/ship.

But how do you know what is up or down without gravity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

Flavor Bear posted:

But how do you know what is up or down without gravity?

All you need are some relatively fixed points in space to orient yourself. Gravity isn't required.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I've never followed Star Wars too closely but is it just me or does everyone, and by that I mean the audience, George Lucus, sith, jedi, farmers and the rest of the galaxy hate Tusken Raiders/Sandpeople more than anything ever? At the start of the first movie they're being a bunch of douche bags and Luke/Obiwan hate them, Anakin genocides them and the audience/Amadala are kind of like "Oh well", in KOTOR asking a player to not murder their entire village is kind of like telling someone not to worry about stepping on sidewalk cracks. I can't turn off that part of my brain, I can't stop thinking about killing them.

In basically every instance they show up they are ground into the dirt or made to look like a bunch of assholes. I mean, even Vadar, who is the murderhate machine, I can feel sympathy for and understand he is a product of nature/environment but you could line a dunebuggy's tires with Tusken Babies before pulling figure 8's in a parking lot full of broken bottle glass and I'd feel about as bad as if I saw any other character in the movie drop an icecream cone. They just aren't humanized or sympathized in the slightest. Even in the one game where you play as Kyle you mindlessly cut them down like soulless machine foot solders for the TMNT cartoons. This would almost make sense if they were some mindless, community-less entities of pure hatred like daemons from some terrible dimension or robots unable to feel love or fear but that isn't the case at all. They are biological beings surviving in the desert who dwell in family units and presumably feel love, loss, loathing, desire, lust and all the other human emotions any other primitive society should. They're not evil, they're just survivors in one of the most ruthless desert terrains in the galaxy. Why are they always meat for hategrinder?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I thought they were actually done pretty well in KOTOR, in exchange for not keeping the pearl from the krayt dragon HK-47 translates pretty much their whole history and traditions and stuff for you from their history guy.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

SeanBeansShako posted:

I thought they were actually done pretty well in KOTOR, in exchange for not keeping the pearl from the krayt dragon HK-47 translates pretty much their whole history and traditions and stuff for you from their history guy.

You know what, my Kotor part of that might not be fair then! I only watched the let's play linked in the OP and that got me REALLY excited to kill sandpeople.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
This is the only good sandperson (I use him as often as possible on other boards)

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
It's not that the Sand People are bad people, it's just that they are fiercely opposed to outsiders of any kind on what they consider their ancestral hard earned lands, and with very good reason.

Very few outsiders understand their language, and even fewer are ever granted the chance to learn it, and so no-one knows their culture or history. To the Tatooine settlers and the wider Galactic public they are a group of indigenous savages with no morals or culture beyond the acquisition of water and murdering everyone they see. You can understand the hostility towards them.

For anyone who hasn't played KotOR, here's a little of their history.

quote:

Long long ago, the people who woiuld become 'sand people' lived as much of the galaxy do now. They built above the earth, made technology and even began researching space travel. The planet itself was a verdant paradise back then and all was well.

And then the Builders came.

The people of Tatooine were enslaved, exported and worked to death by the cruel builders. For centuries they suffered until at long last they rebelled. The retribution was swift and brutal. The Builders removed the water from the planet, and bombed the surface into glass, which eventually eroded into the endless desert.

The sand people thought it was their technology that brought the builders, their old habit of living above the land rather than in the land. They abandoned all technology and settlement beyond what they needed for survival and learned to live. They fear outsiders as they could be the builders come for further retribution, or their technology could bring the builders.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Isn't it KOTOR that implies that Jawas were descended from sand people? I remember that KOTOR implies that the sand people are the original humans in the SW galaxy even though it doesn't mesh with other SW canon, although it's easy enough to work around because when pressed the sand person guy doesn't explicitly commit.

Also reading through their history above, it seems to me that basically they're the realistic outcome of what the colonials in BSG would end up as.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Van Dis posted:

This is the only good sandperson
Only good Tusken is a dead Tusken :clint:

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson
Tuskens are responsible for Darth Krayt therefore they are worthless.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Ninja_Orca posted:

Tuskens are responsible for Darth Krayt therefore they are worthless.

Counterpoint: Tuskens took potshots at Anakin during the pod-race. Clearly, they are heroes.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Crowetron posted:

Counterpoint: Tuskens took potshots at Anakin during the pod-race. Clearly, they are heroes.

Rebuttal: They failed to kill him, though.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Crowetron posted:

And fantastic shots too. How can they shoot a moving object going 500 miles an hour while Obi-Wan criticizes them 30 years later for having poo poo aim? Dude's standards must be through the roof

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Joe Don Baker posted:

Really? I've put a ton of hours into that game I didn't know that. I'll have to check it out asap.
It's not just the B-Wing. For any of the ships, if you hold down the secondary button, you'll spin on your heartline axis like a modern-day jet fighter. gently caress the B-Wing's third ion cannon though.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

And fantastic shots too. How can they shoot a moving object going 500 miles an hour while Obi-Wan criticizes them 30 years later for having poo poo aim? Dude's standards must be through the roof
Obi-Wan wasn't at the race. Dude's just a Raider-hater. :c00l:

War Pig
Nov 14, 2007

Civilization is crumbling.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Except that he says Stormtroopers are "accurate."

He is probs just senile.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

War Pig posted:

He is probs just senile.
To be fair, they seemed pretty accurate when shooting at anyone not protected by plot armour.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

War Pig posted:

He is probs just senile.

Those rebel scum at the beginning of a New Hope would disagree with you. :colbert:
edit; beaten, like the rebels at Hoth.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Hazo posted:

It's not just the B-Wing. For any of the ships, if you hold down the secondary button, you'll spin on your heartline axis like a modern-day jet fighter.

Yeah that's basic X-wing game controls. I just never realized the body rotated around the cockpit like that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

War Pig posted:

He is probs just senile.

No, he is a drunk. We established this guys.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

SeanBeansShako posted:

No, he is a drunk. We established this guys.

I thought Qui-Gon was the drunk.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

ScottyJSno posted:

But 50 different shows. It has re-ride value...

But who goes to Disney that much?

Annual pass holders.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

NeonTurtle posted:

I thought Qui-Gon was the drunk.

He was the new age hippie Jedi that sold crystals outside the back of his space van on the weekends.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Phylodox posted:

Rebuttal: They failed to kill him, though.

They tried, okay? <:mad:>

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Crowetron posted:

They tried, okay? <:mad:>

Close only counts in horseshoes and lightsaber-handgrenades.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
While the thread is kind of on the subject of Qui-Gon, has Lucas ever said why he created that character. Qui-Gon seemed hugely inconsequential to me.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

side_burned posted:

while the thread is kind of on the subject of Qui-Gon, has Lucas ever said why he created that character. Qui-Gon seemed hugely inconsequential to me.

I think he just forgot about Obi-Wan having said that he was Yoda's student.

amandasaysmoo
Jul 23, 2010

Kart Barfunkel posted:

There were a few force sensitive tuskens.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Phylodox posted:

Close only counts in horseshoes and lightsaber-handgrenades.

Be fair, no one else but Sebulba was even trying.

...Why did I remember that name off the top of my head?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

side_burned posted:

While the thread is kind of on the subject of Qui-Gon, has Lucas ever said why he created that character. Qui-Gon seemed hugely inconsequential to me.

Because Liam Neeson is awesome.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Nucleic Acids posted:

Yeah I've wondered why when Lucas was writing the TPM didn't write it as Yoda and Obi_Wan taking care of the trade dispute and have Obi_Wan do all the stuff on Tatooine.

But really what is there to be said about that movie's problems that hasn't been said at this point?

side_burned fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 22, 2011

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

amandasaysmoo posted:

There were a few force sensitive tuskens.
Correct:

Remember, no matter how retarded it is, Star Wars has done it.

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003
Sand people are full of cotton candy! :confuoot:

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Nucleic Acids posted:

Well, you see, Yoda trained all of the younglings at some point, so buh buh buh buh buh
*has throat pouch*
*is billionaire*

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

Slantedfloors posted:

Correct:

There he is again. loving Darth Krayt. Everywhere in these Star Wars.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
^^^Yep, that's him.

Slantedfloors posted:

Correct:

I'm pretty sure he's actually human.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

Lightsabers held together by lightsabers. gently caress yea

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Ninja_Orca posted:

There he is again. loving Darth Krayt. Everywhere in these Star Wars.
It's actually Darth Krayt's daddy.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Throb Robinson posted:

Hell, look how excited about it that dinosaur is :haw:

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Flavor Bear posted:

Well, you see, Yoda trained all of the younglings at some point, so buh buh buh buh buh
*has throat pouch*
*is billionaire*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Throb Robinson posted:

Oh gently caress yeah!

Man, the EU is just a bunch of high school students sitting around in some guy's basement smoking weed and every now and again saying, "Duuuuuuuuude. You know what would be loving badass? A lightsaber that holds together TWO OTHER LIGHTSABERS!", isn't it? :(