Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

Those Facebook posters are all "disgusted" or calling it "evil" and "murder" but are probably the first ones to cheer when a brown person gets blown up or politician calls for more to get slaughtered. :ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

repLOLican posted:

Those Facebook posters are all "disgusted" or calling it "evil" and "murder" but are probably the first ones to cheer when a brown person gets blown up or politician calls for more to get slaughtered. :ironicat:

BABYS ARE INNOCENT TERRISTS ARENT :bahgawd:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

repLOLican posted:

God doesn't care when we murder those people, duh.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

repLOLican posted:

Did you break the news to those people that The Onion is a satire site? If so how did they react?

Any time I've pointed this out to a sucker, they still try and justify their post (ie. "Well, MY HARD EARNED TAX DOLLARS shouldn't be used for stuff like this any way. :smug: ") instead of deleting it out of shame for their stupidity.

Or this lady :v:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1185517799&v=wall

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Favorite books: the bible, the HOLY bible

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

quote:

"Thanking Obama for killing Bin Laden is like going into McDonalds and thanking Ronald McDonald for the hamburger. It's the guy cooking the burger that should get the credit, not the clown."

Still trying to figure this one out. Is Obama the fictional spokesman for America?

EDIT: Also, care to peer into the mind of modern conservative racism?

Kubrick fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 21, 2011

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
No it's saying that the soldiers did the dirty work and Obama is taking the credit.

My girlfriend's former coworker (they finally fired her woo) flipped out at an Onion article, in front of her. Like, in person. She took a long while to convince that it wasn't actual news.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Kubrick posted:

Still trying to figure this one out. Is Obama the fictional spokesman for America?
No, Ronald McDonald is the CEO of McDonald's.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Kubrick posted:

EDIT: Also, care to peer into the mind of modern conservative racism?

That reminds me of something that happened the other day. I was getting lunch at a local taquería, which as you probably know aren't exactly known for being sacred bastions of silence. I was hungry as gently caress and on a time limit so I was pretty much focused on absolutely destroying a large and tasty plate of food. As I was leaving an older woman had the manager cornered outside and stopped me as well. "Excuse me, don't you think that those four ladies over by the window were being too loud?" she asked. She was nice enough about it but I was momentarily stunned by the unexpected question. I hadn't really paid attention to anyone in particular inside and as I mentioned, I was pretty busy, but I was pretty drat sure that the whole place was just loud as hell; a normal taquería at lunchtime with conversations in three different languages. I just grinned, shrugged, and said I'd been preoccupied stuffing myself. "Well at least it's an honest answer!" said the woman's companion in a friendly tone. Thoroughly nonplussed, I said something vaguely polite and got the hell out of there. Luckily I wasn't physically confined so there was no need to chew anything off.

The news story you posted is a bit different in that it was a designated quiet car. I would have been pissed too, and more pissed if the person got belligerent in response to polite requests. The way the article insinuates "Black people doing rude black people things!" is pretty hosed up, however.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

The article isn't the problem. Hell, I would have gone ballistic at that person on the phone. The problem is the response which typifies an all too common conservative perception:

quote:

The article below is from Yahoo News.
What do you want to bet she is a Obama supporter?
I promise you she has the attitude I am black and you owe me.
Sadly some many blacks have this outlook.
Our race baiter in chief along with Jessie and Al fuel the attitude.
They are still whining about slavery and reparations.
Find a living slave owner and a living slave then the owner can pay.

If a white person is rude they are being a jerk.
If a black person is rude they are being uppity.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
I'm a big fan of the lady in the Facebook image who calls condoms "silent abortions". I'm very curious to know what she thinks happens to the billions of sperm that unsuccessfully implant the egg even when there is successful implantation? Or all the times when there isn't successful implantation?

ALL MEN ARE MASS MURDERERS

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

poopchair2000 posted:

Just got this one from dear ol' dad...

Woman kills man for petty theft, is a hero.

Damnit, my dad is such a cool guy outside of his politics, why does he have to send me poo poo like this? And there's no changing him, I've tried. He's way too stubborn. I guess I just have to go back to being passive aggressive at family dinners :(

AHAHA gotta love the AMEN at the end.

She did just what Jesus would have wanted!

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

JT Jag posted:

Favorite books: the bible, the HOLY bible

People who post passages or make judgement from the bible non-stop on Facebook drive me insane. I love replying with the most vile Bible verses I can find whenever I see a status message go up that directly quotes the bible or talks about what "god" intended.

What's more annoying than an atheist with an axe to grind? An atheist who survived 13 years of Christian school indoctrination with an axe to grind. :smug:

:psypop:

RUM HAM fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 21, 2011

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I think you might get through to some of the crypto-fascists out there who hate having THEIR TAXDOLLARS support THE LAZY POOR by going with this:
1. In war, a higher population is an advantage, as it means more troops.
2. To maintain a high population, you must keep your population fed, clothed, and cared for during peace time.
3. Therefore, entitlement programs are really just a sneaky way of fighting COMMUNISM tomorrow.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Kubrick posted:

The article isn't the problem. Hell, I would have gone ballistic at that person on the phone. The problem is the response which typifies an all too common conservative perception:

If a white person is rude they are being a jerk.
If a black person is rude they are being uppity.

Don't forget that every black person in america is an ambassador for their race and anything they do reflects badly on black people as a whole

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

VanSandman posted:

2. To maintain a high population, you must keep your population fed, clothed, and cared for during peace time.

Surely if we let them starve in the gutter and fight one another for scraps we would have better, more vicious soldiers? Of course we would need intelligent, well-trained officers to lead them, so if we separated people into "castes"...

e: I just realised this is what America does anyway, now I am sad :(

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 21, 2011

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I love how someone eventually points out that it's a fake article, and she replies with 'yes, it's fake, but it could be our future!'

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Strawman posted:

Don't forget that every black person in america is an ambassador for their race and anything they do reflects badly on black people as a whole

Just like white people!!!

right?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Enjoy posted:

Surely if we let them starve in the gutter and fight one another for scraps we would have better, more vicious soldiers? Of course we would need intelligent, well-trained officers to lead them, so if we separated people into "castes"...

e: I just realised this is what America does anyway, now I am sad :(

We could have our own prison planet like in Dune to breed the most deadly, hardened soldiers!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Don't we already do that in the inner cities with black/latino kids and the US military? :tinfoil:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Subject: Wedding Ring Is In For Repairs...

Like the Bible says, "There is none so blind as those

who refuse to see."

Wedding ring is in for repairs - Another piece falls into place.

In a press conference last week Obama was not wearing his wedding
ring nor was he wearing his watch when noticed, his staff said his
ring was out for repairs.

No reason was given for the missing watch. So it's just a coincidence that Muslims are forbidden from wearing jewelry during the month of Ramadan (ninth month of the Islamic calendar, lasting from 29 to 30 days).

Can't possibly be that, because although he hasn't gone to a
Christian church service since entering the White House, we know he's a committed Christian "cause he said so during he campaign!"
...........And I've got a bridge to nowhere to sell you also.

This is the same president that spent the Christmas holidays in
Hawaii to avoid religious obligations as PRESIDENT at the White
House. His children do not receive Christmas presents.

Let's just face the facts and quit trying to tell the truth, we have
a muslim for president in the White House, and he has no

knowledge of American history.

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?

Tars Tarkas posted:

Ramadan (ninth month of the Islamic calendar, lasting from 29 to 30 days)

Looks like that's the only part that's not a lie.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/ramadan.asp

So, what's the deal with lying Evangelicals? Is it just kind of an unwritten rule that lying is okay as long as you lie with good intentions? Is it just something that rubs off on you after sitting through many Sundays of obviously made up bullshit coming from the pulpit?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/abortionplex-topeka

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Well my friends, my grandpa has stumped me. Usually going to see him is interesting as I can well predict political talk as it's centered around foxnews TV and email forwards. This time, he stumped me as I haven't heard anything about it in this thread. He brought up something about how Obama hadn't talked to half of his cabinet member or something, and all I could find on a google search were some articles that were months old. Where did I miss this, or did he just get an old forward?

Chadina
Apr 29, 2008

nsaP posted:

Well my friends, my grandpa has stumped me. Usually going to see him is interesting as I can well predict political talk as it's centered around foxnews TV and email forwards. This time, he stumped me as I haven't heard anything about it in this thread. He brought up something about how Obama hadn't talked to half of his cabinet member or something, and all I could find on a google search were some articles that were months old. Where did I miss this, or did he just get an old forward?

I recall hearing Glenn Beck go on about this on his radio show recently (May 13th show it looks like). Assuming the trail of Glenn Beck->the Blaze, it seems the statement is in reference to a New York magazine article: http://nymag.com/news/politics/70829/

New York Magazine posted:

“I happen to know most of the Cabinet pretty well, and I get together with them individually for lunch,” says one of the most respected Democratic bigwigs in Washington. “I’ve had half a dozen Cabinet members say that in the first two years, they never had one call—not one call—from the president.”

The article seems to be a fairly good reflection on Obama's first two years, but Beck seems to be picking it up as "I'm just asking questions, but doesn't it seem odd that Obama isn't even talking to his own cabinet members? If he won't talk to them, how can we expect him to talk to us!?"

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Sock on a Fish posted:

So, what's the deal with lying Evangelicals? Is it just kind of an unwritten rule that lying is okay as long as you lie with good intentions? Is it just something that rubs off on you after sitting through many Sundays of obviously made up bullshit coming from the pulpit?

Slacktivist had a couple of posts on a similar chain email a few years back. Seems as good of an explanation as any.

http://slacktivist.typepad.com/slacktivist/2008/09/false-witnesses.html
http://slacktivist.typepad.com/slacktivist/2008/10/false-witnesses-2.html

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Technogeek posted:

Slacktivist had a couple of posts on a similar chain email a few years back. Seems as good of an explanation as any.

http://slacktivist.typepad.com/slacktivist/2008/09/false-witnesses.html
http://slacktivist.typepad.com/slacktivist/2008/10/false-witnesses-2.html

These are some good essays. It seemed like a more cynical "Demon-Haunted World" excerpt.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sock on a Fish posted:

Looks like that's the only part that's not a lie.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/ramadan.asp

Taqiyya

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Tars Tarkas posted:

In a press conference last week Obama was not wearing his wedding
ring nor was he wearing his watch when noticed, his staff said his
ring was out for repairs.

That's great, but Ramadan is in August this year.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Not an e-mail, but a response to a terrible FB post an old high school buddy of mine made. I replied to it with something along the lines of "I'd agree with you if even half of those things are true, but as always the reality is far less appealing than the sensationalism", which he promptly deleted. This irked me more than usual for some reason, so I came up with a more :words:y reply. Maybe a bit over the top, but I'm tired if this crap popping up on my facebook page.

I figured I spend enough time reading the stuff posted here I'd give something back.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Its ok, he's talking about cubans. They are the good Mexicans because they vote republican.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

nm posted:

Its ok, he's talking about cubans. They are the good Mexicans because they vote republican.

It's funny you mention that, because I thought about it after I posted. I figure my point is still valid, only it's not drug war fueled instability that's the main factor for their emigration. It's not like he's talking about the legions of Canadians crossing the border to take our jobs, even though he lives right outside Detroit.

Interestingly enough he's decided to let my last post stand, maybe he's processing it and wondering if there's a way he can spin a response that invalidates anything I said or validates his crappy copy/paste circlejerk post. That or hoping someone else will jump in in his stead to defend his terrible regurgitated opinion. Either way I'd love to debate him, but I know he's way too passive to engage me. He was just under the impression that no one would do anything but agree with him when he posted it because the neighborhood we grew up in was a major echo chamber of terrible opinions with no real critical thought applied to anything. I'm glad I moved away for work, or I probably would have been agreeing with him; it's amazing how much a change of locale can alter your world view.

NatasDog fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 25, 2011

King Ramses
Feb 22, 2011
Also not an actual email, but this is posted on the fridge at my office. By my boss.

quote:

You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity
by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.

What one person receives without working for,
another person must work for without receiving..

The government cannot give to anybody anything
that the government does not first take from somebody else.

When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work
because the other half is going to take care of them,
and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work
because somebody else is going to get what they work for.
That my dear friend, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it

In a show of class the boss also called Obama a coon.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

King Ramses posted:

Also not an actual email, but this is posted on the fridge at my office. By my boss.

Yeah, working for a boss like this is probably going to bite you in the rear end someday.

King Ramses
Feb 22, 2011

ClosedBSD posted:

Yeah, working for a boss like this is probably going to bite you in the rear end someday.
She's also going to be my inlaw one day. At least she's kept me off her forwarding list for the religious stuff.

Time to start looking for new jobs.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

King Ramses posted:

Well, if you work for a company with any shred of decency, a nice formal report of that comment would do wonders. Seriously, people like that don't need to be in leadership positions.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

King Ramses posted:

This is posted on the fridge at my office:
"What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."

Do you think your boss is against this? against income from capital gains? inheritance?

Is your boss against herself (as owner of capital) receiving benefit from the labor of her workers, solely by virtue of having that capital? Is she basically a Marxist?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

King Ramses posted:

No YOU are the real racist for thinking that "coon" is some kind of racial stereotype. She was comparing the personal characteristics of the President with the noble, wily raccoon.

Typhoon Jim
Sep 20, 2004

space moo

ClosedBSD posted:

I'm not sure. Serious political opinions can be a sign of self-justifying zealotry, but also, some of the most interesting people I've ever met have known exactly what they want in terms of politics. Working with someone whose politics you disagree with but you respect in other terms is actually a good experience to have.

Calling Obama a coon, on the other hand, is indeed a bad sign (but people can just be ignorant sometimes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typhoon Jim
Sep 20, 2004

space moo

NatasDog posted:

Not an e-mail, but a response to a terrible FB post an old high school buddy of mine made. I replied to it with something along the lines of "I'd agree with you if even half of those things are true, but as always the reality is far less appealing than the sensationalism", which he promptly deleted. This irked me more than usual for some reason, so I came up with a more :words:y reply. Maybe a bit over the top, but I'm tired if this crap popping up on my facebook page.

I figured I spend enough time reading the stuff posted here I'd give something back.

This is a Bad Response. It's better to keep it short- it would have been more productive to say "Do you think that we should be taking our policies on immigration from North Korea and Afghanistan? What other policies of Kim Jong Il's do you think would have a particularly salutary effect on our national debt?"