Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
To find out if you're eligible for an upgrade text the word upgrade to the # 1311. Duckman you should add that to the OP.

OptimusMatrix fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

OptimusMatrix posted:

To find out if you're eligible for an upgrade text the word upgrade to the # 1311. Duckman you should add that to the OP.

That actually owns, just found out I get 150 off a 2 year contract and 75 off a one year

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

OptimusMatrix posted:

I just did this and it says I'm only eligible for $75 on 6/1. I don't understand this, I got my EVO on launch day last June. My family plan is around $150 after taxes and fees and my line is the primary.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

You can also check if you're eligible for an upgrade here: https://manage.sprintpcs.com/specialoffers/RebateWelcome.do

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

change my name posted:

That actually owns, just found out I get 150 off a 2 year contract and 75 off a one year

I've had a rant for 3 years and I'm mad as hell

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I just did this and it says I'm only eligible for $75 on 6/1. I don't understand this, I got my EVO on launch day last June. My family plan is around $150 after taxes and fees and my line is the primary.

I think it's got to be $150 before taxes and the like.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I was checking out the sprintusers.com forum when looking for evo 3d release date/pre-order info and found a thread where a CSR rep from the Sprint Premier team volunteered to help with upgrades lost when they were dropped to Premier silver.

Here is the thread: http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219278

Maybe that can help with that bunch of people from the last 2 pages who were having issues.

mtr
May 15, 2008

ShowTime posted:

I was checking out the sprintusers.com forum when looking for evo 3d release date/pre-order info and found a thread where a CSR rep from the Sprint Premier team volunteered to help with upgrades lost when they were dropped to Premier silver.

Here is the thread: http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219278

Maybe that can help with that bunch of people from the last 2 pages who were having issues.

I did this through that thread. I bought my Evo last June and had lost my upgrade when my Premier status changed.

It took about a week after PMing the Sprint guy in that thread. The one thing that sucked is that those forums require 10 posts before sending PMs, so I had to go around to different forums and post good content in 10 threads before I could PM the Sprint guy.

I'd imagine you could call and get your upgrade back or maybe email e-care. This way is pretty hands off though. The only time consuming aspect is getting 10 posts on sprintusers.

mtr
May 15, 2008
Sprint's website states "NOW WITH ANDROID™ 2.3" for the Evo 4G.

I don't know whether this means new phones are shipping with it and that current phone users can expect an upgrade soon, or it's an error.

Ryven
Sep 25, 2004
Can I get a referal for the EPRP? Gonna put down the $50 for the Evo 3D if I can while signing up for it. Send me a PM.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

OptimusMatrix posted:

I think it's got to be $150 before taxes and the like.

Yeah but that shouldn't matter. The old Premier, and now Premier silver only requires family plans to be $99.99 or more. My plan is $134 plus taxes and fees.

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet

nate fisher posted:

Just want them to confirm it will be sexy version and not some bullshit thicker version.

That and pricing+availability would be nice.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Yeah but that shouldn't matter. The old Premier, and now Premier silver only requires family plans to be $99.99 or more. My plan is $134 plus taxes and fees.
You only get the one year upgrade on Premier Gold now though and for that you need to be at $169.99/month or be a customer for 10+ years.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

datajosh posted:

You only get the one year upgrade on Premier Gold now though and for that you need to be at $169.99/month or be a customer for 10+ years.

Right but I should be grandfathered in. Everyone has been saying that anyone who would have been eligible for the upgrade in June but lost it because of being silver now is still eligible though June. Since I was Premier and am now silver and would have been eligible in June I should still be.

Astiesan
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, about that.

Duckman2008 posted:

Yes, but you will need two forms of ID. Possibility of a deposit does also go up. If you have a social unless your credit really sucks always use it.

I'm guessing this will only be through a corporate store, and no 3rd-party is going to touch it?

DragonKeeper
Aug 4, 2004
MOLE GAVE ME THIS ACCOUNT OK GUYS

Ryven posted:

Can I get a referal for the EPRP? Gonna put down the $50 for the Evo 3D if I can while signing up for it. Send me a PM.

This was posted a few pages back.

Chappy posted:

Feel free to put this info in the OP. My info for eprp is as follows :

Clinton.Chapman@sprint.com 530.

They are actually wanting us to give this info out to anyone that wants it now, so feel free to use it for anyone you want. Give it to your loving mailman if he wants eprp.

But please use mine and not that dude from the blog. They are giving prizes and stuff for people with the most referrals.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3399907&pagenumber=13&perpage=40#post390749245

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm hoping the Evo 3D launch results in a swath of people selling their Evo 4G's in an effort to "offset" the cost, making them go for a little cheaper than they are now, because I really need to ditch my Epic, but obviously since I have an Epic I am nowhere near an upgrade date...

(By a little cheaper I mean I'd like to spend ~$200....yeah, probably not going to happen.)

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm considering an early termination sometime in the near future, and was wondering if anyone had a price range for how much it would cost me on about 7 of 24 months in my contract.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

It's really confusing that the new phone has a lower number than the old phone.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm hoping the Evo 3D launch results in a swath of people selling their Evo 4G's in an effort to "offset" the cost, making them go for a little cheaper than they are now, because I really need to ditch my Epic, but obviously since I have an Epic I am nowhere near an upgrade date...

(By a little cheaper I mean I'd like to spend ~$200....yeah, probably not going to happen.)

Getting an Evo3D on launch date and thats what I had planned on selling mine for.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

diospadre posted:

It's really confusing that the new phone has a lower number than the old phone.

I noticed that too, but honestly how many people actually call the old phone the EVO 4G rather than just the EVO?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm considering an early termination sometime in the near future, and was wondering if anyone had a price range for how much it would cost me on about 7 of 24 months in my contract.

I think it's $10 for every month left. That said, only 7/24 months in, i'd put it at around $200.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Right but I should be grandfathered in. Everyone has been saying that anyone who would have been eligible for the upgrade in June but lost it because of being silver now is still eligible though June. Since I was Premier and am now silver and would have been eligible in June I should still be.
They didn't grandfather anyone in but some people have said in the thread that retention can bring it back for you.

Kingtheninja posted:

Sprint actually has a page with that info. At month 7 it'd be $170.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

CharlesM posted:

I guess, I just want to know what people think about this. I got an HTC Titan as was recommended a long time ago but it was limited by the low RAM, then a HTC Touch Pro replacement as it was deemed superior to the Titan, but have had a lot of problems with it, especially the keyboard. Somebody said, oh the Touch Pro 2 will be better, it is not as rushed a design and blah blah blah, but I see people having trouble with that so I have become quite skeptical.

When I get back to the states I will probably buy an HTC Arrive, I am just prodding to see what people's feelings are on this.

I went from a Titan to TP1 to TP2 and now I have an Arrive. The phone is very solid and runs wonderfully. The UI is very smooth. There is no screen lag switching to landscape or texting which plagued all those old phones. I've never had any performance issues with the phone.

With that said Windows Phone is a completely new operating system so some of the things that Android or even Windows Mobile have are not yet on the Arrive. Most of them are minor though, like no custom mp3 ringtones, flash support or tethering. A large update is coming out and the end of the year though, which will add a lot of features.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mtr posted:

Sprint's website states "NOW WITH ANDROID™ 2.3" for the Evo 4G.

I don't know whether this means new phones are shipping with it and that current phone users can expect an upgrade soon, or it's an error.

It's an error.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ZeroAX posted:

I went from a Titan to TP1 to TP2 and now I have an Arrive. The phone is very solid and runs wonderfully. The UI is very smooth. There is no screen lag switching to landscape or texting which plagued all those old phones. I've never had any performance issues with the phone.

With that said Windows Phone is a completely new operating system so some of the things that Android or even Windows Mobile have are not yet on the Arrive. Most of them are minor though, like no custom mp3 ringtones, flash support or tethering. A large update is coming out and the end of the year though, which will add a lot of features.

Sweet. Well, the OS is supposed to get 500+ new features (per Steve Ballmer), we will learn more about them tomorrow.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Still no dice on an EVO 3d launch :(

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Duckman2008 posted:

Still no dice on an EVO 3d launch :(

A Facebook friend recently posted that she had just gotten an iPhone, which in and of itself isn't too unusual. But surprisingly enough, a number of replies were people excited about either their existing EVOs or the upcoming launch of the EVO 3D. I really didn't expect that.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

It seems the EVO 3D is going to have a signed bootloader.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

McPhearson posted:

It seems the EVO 3D is going to have a signed bootloader.
Not unexpected. However:

Android Police posted:

It seems HTC has finally caved to what are likely the security demands of wireless carriers with its newest phones, and is locking down its handsets Moto-style.
Except that every other manufacturer ships devices with unlocked bootloaders, unlockable bootloaders, or intend (e.g., Motorola) to start shipping devices with such this year. HTC is the only manufacturer going in the other direction.

Android Police posted:

In short: custom ROMs, kernels, and recoveries (like ClockworkMod) may never come to the EVO 3D, barring some kind of epic HTC screw-up.
Or folks figure out a software mechanism for S-OFF again. Or if it gets supported by the XTC Clip. The Desire S and Incredible S already are, but I don't think they've supported any CDMA devices yet.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Except that every other manufacturer ships devices with unlocked bootloaders, unlockable bootloaders, or intend (e.g., Motorola) to start shipping devices with such this year. HTC is the only manufacturer going in the other direction.

This is what confuses me the most. HTC was one of, if not the most open manufacturers while the others were tightening security. Now everyone is opening things up and HTC is locking them down, I don't get it. I REALLY want an EVO 3D but I don't know if I'll get one if there's a genuine concern about it being rooted. I'd be disappointed with not being to flash custom ROMs, but rooting is much more important.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
That much confirms my decision to wait for the SGS2 later this summer. I don't mind Sense outside of the fact it has one ugly rear end launcher and lockscreen (well that is changing with the new Sense but still same launcher), but I got into Android because I love customizing my phone. I would rather keep my current EVO than have a EVO 3D that is un-rootable. Will get one for my wife, but she could care less about root.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

letsgoflyers81 posted:

HTC was one of, if not the most open manufacturers while the others were tightening security.
Were they?

I can't recall any HTC Android device (except those OEMed for Google) that shipped unlocked/unlockable. To my knowledge, all have relied on a root exploit and/or downgrading to engineering firmware. HTC has been stepping up their game with regard to making their devices progressively more difficult to crack, but I don't think they ever welcomed folks to do it. Beyond that, HTC has historically been late on getting their kernel sources out there and such.

The reason why HTC devices have traditionally been the hacking choice was due to their getting to market first with the G1/Dream, and their phones otherwise being relatively easy to support once cracked.

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I REALLY want an EVO 3D but I don't know if I'll get one if there's a genuine concern about it being rooted. I'd be disappointed with not being to flash custom ROMs, but rooting is much more important.
Then I definitely wouldn't preorder one. Or be prepared to flip it on eBay.

The HTC situation isn't completely hopeless like it is with current Motorola devices. But they're out of favor at the moment with CyanogenMod due to the existnce of other high-end unlocked/unlockable devices. But there's a huge enough Evo crowd out there that I would expect a serious cracking attempt to be made on the Evo 3D. But there's no guarantee it will happen, at least not a timely one.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Basically we will need some champion of the people at HTC or Sprint to "lose" an engineering build

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

nate fisher posted:

I don't mind Sense outside of the fact it has one ugly rear end launcher and lockscreen (well that is changing with the new Sense but still same launcher), but I got into Android because I love customizing my phone.
You know you can still change the launcher, even without root, right? And nobody is saying the phone will be unrootable. A signed bootloader doesn't prohibit root, just the ability to load custom ROMs. The ability to simply have root is almost inevitable.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

heat posted:

Basically we will need some champion of the people at HTC or Sprint to "lose" an engineering build

Sprint seems to be on a yearly rampage on clamping down on leaks, I don't think you'll be seeing anything.

I love rooting and flashing my phone, so it could be make or break for me. That being said, I am running Sense 3.0 on my Evo and am starting to be really impressed by it overall. I'm waiting to see how I feel once the honeymoon is over, but I'm pretty sure I could more than live with it.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)

brc64 posted:

You know you can still change the launcher, even without root, right? And nobody is saying the phone will be unrootable. A signed bootloader doesn't prohibit root, just the ability to load custom ROMs. The ability to simply have root is almost inevitable.

If you change the launcher you can't use the sense widgets.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheBlackMallard posted:

If you change the launcher you can't use the sense widgets.

The new sense widgets are pretty awesome, but LP is still equal at the least.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

heat posted:

Unfortunately that's only part of the puzzle. A new root exploit and temporary NAND-lock-disabler are needed, I believe, to actually flash the engineering bootloader. wpthis, which works on the ThunderBolt, doesn't work on the Incredible S. So even though they do have an engineering HBOOT for the Incredible S, they can't install it.

brc64 posted:

And nobody is saying the phone will be unrootable. A signed bootloader doesn't prohibit root, just the ability to load custom ROMs. The ability to simply have root is almost inevitable.
While I'm sure someone will eventually find and exploit another root vulnerability, Google is making this approach much more difficult for Gingerbread devices than Froyo.

There may be a good amount of time between the Evo 3D's release and a successful root exploit for it. Beyond that, if folks can't get S-OFF then they'll have to choose between updating their phone and temporary root support. And phones that ship with updated ROMs won't be rootable until the next exploit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

brc64 posted:

Maybe I used the wrong word (un-rootable), and yes I do know about LPP or ADW for example. That said I want to be able to remove Sense or whatever else Sprint/HTC puts on my phone if I feel the need or desire. I also want to change the look of my notification bar or whatever else I feel like depending on my mood. Correct me if I am wrong, but you can't do that unless you have the ability to flash a ROM? What this means is no perm-root correct?

So maybe I should of said I will not get one if it is un-flashable?

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 24, 2011