Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rocket lad
Feb 3, 2004
omfgyouguyz
Like many in this thread, I've done a fair bit of breeder research online. I'm in the Raleigh area of NC, and there seem to be a number of breeders in the NC/VA area -- any goon-recommended ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MurderouslySly
Feb 15, 2008

That Geek Chick

rocket lad posted:

Like many in this thread, I've done a fair bit of breeder research online. I'm in the Raleigh area of NC, and there seem to be a number of breeders in the NC/VA area -- any goon-recommended ones?

I contacted Dalarno (recommended earlier in the thread) regarding puppies and their present litter is all spoken for. Carrie recommended I call Debbie Cox, who lives in Ridgeway Virginia. It's a bit too far south for me at th moment, but not too awful bad for you. Her number is 276.937.3670.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Hi guys!

We're visiting this breeder on Monday: http://bigearskennel.blogspot.com/

We're going to ask a ton of questions and scope the place out. He said the puppies will be available for pickup 3 weeks later, so it's good that he's encouraging people to visit FIRST and not just show up for a puppy. It also looks like he has shown his dogs. We found him from the Cardigan club website.

We're going to ask about the health of the dogs/ if they've been screened because there's no info on that on his blog.

Does anyone know anything about him?

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

aliceamadee posted:

Hi guys!

We're visiting this breeder on Monday: http://bigearskennel.blogspot.com/

We're going to ask a ton of questions and scope the place out. He said the puppies will be available for pickup 3 weeks later, so it's good that he's encouraging people to visit FIRST and not just show up for a puppy. It also looks like he has shown his dogs. We found him from the Cardigan club website.

We're going to ask about the health of the dogs/ if they've been screened because there's no info on that on his blog.

Does anyone know anything about him?

Does he have a webpage separate from the blog? It's hard to tell many things from that website because it is an informal blog, but a few questions stand out already. Definitely ask about the health screenings (and you can do some sneaky checking up on the OFA website, http://www.offa.org/ by doing a search on all dogs with the kennel name). I'd also ask why he specifically breeds for black and white/blue merles, and no others. Another red flag is that he claims to have 3 litters a year. Usually (but not always) stand-out breeders only breed when they are certain they can improve on the previous generation, which means it doesn't happen all that often.

I wouldn't toss this breeder off your list yet, but do get those questions answered first. I'm very surprised that the litter that's on the ground hasn't all been spoken for yet. From what I've read, if there isn't a waitlist for a particular breeder, there's usually a reason. Keep that in the back of your mind.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

ButWhatIf posted:

Does he have a webpage separate from the blog? It's hard to tell many things from that website because it is an informal blog, but a few questions stand out already. Definitely ask about the health screenings (and you can do some sneaky checking up on the OFA website, http://www.offa.org/ by doing a search on all dogs with the kennel name). I'd also ask why he specifically breeds for black and white/blue merles, and no others. Another red flag is that he claims to have 3 litters a year. Usually (but not always) stand-out breeders only breed when they are certain they can improve on the previous generation, which means it doesn't happen all that often.

I wouldn't toss this breeder off your list yet, but do get those questions answered first. I'm very surprised that the litter that's on the ground hasn't all been spoken for yet. From what I've read, if there isn't a waitlist for a particular breeder, there's usually a reason. Keep that in the back of your mind.

Thanks for the input. I know we don't have enough info to make a decision yet, but hopefully visiting and asking around will help!

I found this info that has a pedigree list: http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/bigears/kids.html & http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/bigears/shadi.html -- looks like a super old angelfire website with no real info about trying to sell puppies.

None of the animals on there hit on OFA that I could see, but I may have been searching wrong/ searching animals way back in the line that this guy wasn't involved with? I'm definitely going to ask about OFA checks on Monday.

I also emailed tons of other breeders in the area and am going to get on some of their waitlists for upcoming litters, so if this guy is sketch, not all is lost.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

aliceamadee posted:

Thanks for the input. I know we don't have enough info to make a decision yet, but hopefully visiting and asking around will help!

I found this info that has a pedigree list: http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/bigears/kids.html & http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/bigears/shadi.html -- looks like a super old angelfire website with no real info about trying to sell puppies.

None of the animals on there hit on OFA that I could see, but I may have been searching wrong/ searching animals way back in the line that this guy wasn't involved with? I'm definitely going to ask about OFA checks on Monday.

I also emailed tons of other breeders in the area and am going to get on some of their waitlists for upcoming litters, so if this guy is sketch, not all is lost.

Another really good resource for searching for Cardigans and getting info on registered names is The Cardigan Archives. It's a bit hit or miss, especially if a breeder isn't computer-savvy, but I've found some interesting stuff on those pages. It lists both registered and call names, so sometimes you can find one or the other. You can also do a search by owner or breeder's name. Plus some breeders have uploaded pictures! Basically even if it doesn't have exactly what you're looking for, it's still a really fun timesink. :)

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

aliceamadee posted:

I love hunting down dog info on the OFFA database, so here's what I've found that he seems to have produced.

http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=1189890#animal
http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=818265#animal
http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=1150945#animal

He doesn't seem to have a kennel prefix that he sticks with that makes things more difficult. I wouldn't worry about not having a ton of dogs on OFFA because I think PENNhip is pretty popular with corgi-folk. Just make sure to see that documentation and not just take his word for it. I would also ask how he manages two litters on the ground at the same time. That's a ton of work to socialize properly and is something that would make me think twice.

Way to go about finding a breeder the right way though!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
On a personal update note, I called Paul Chen to see if there were any updates on his upcoming litters, and I learned that Jolene was bred a week or so ago, and Madison would be bred using frozen this week! So one way or another, there will likely be puppies to drool over around July! Which means I could have my Cardi puppy around the second week of September, assuming that there is a puppy in one of these two litters that is right for us!

I can't believe how quickly this is all happening! I thought we'd end up on a waitlist for another 6 months if we went with our first choice!

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I love hunting down dog info on the OFFA database, so here's what I've found that he seems to have produced.

http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=1189890#animal
http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=818265#animal
http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=1150945#animal

He doesn't seem to have a kennel prefix that he sticks with that makes things more difficult. I wouldn't worry about not having a ton of dogs on OFFA because I think PENNhip is pretty popular with corgi-folk. Just make sure to see that documentation and not just take his word for it. I would also ask how he manages two litters on the ground at the same time. That's a ton of work to socialize properly and is something that would make me think twice.

Way to go about finding a breeder the right way though!

wow! Thanks so much for doing that research for us!

We just called him and left a message, so hopefully we can talk before we drive out there on Monday. It's a 5 hour trip, so we want to make sure we do as much research as we can first in case it's not a good fit.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

aliceamadee posted:

wow! Thanks so much for doing that research for us!

We just called him and left a message, so hopefully we can talk before we drive out there on Monday. It's a 5 hour trip, so we want to make sure we do as much research as we can first in case it's not a good fit.

Make sure you ask him about genetic testing for DM too. It's a terrible disease and both Cardigans and Pembrokes can be affected. My dog's breeder actually had a couple dogs of her breeding come down with it (many years ago), and now is really adamant about any Cardigans she's involved with being tested.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

anachrodragon posted:

Make sure you ask him about genetic testing for DM too. It's a terrible disease and both Cardigans and Pembrokes can be affected. My dog's breeder actually had a couple dogs of her breeding come down with it (many years ago), and now is really adamant about any Cardigans she's involved with being tested.

I just talked to him on the phone! He says he has genetic testing for eye and hip problems (I didn't even ask about the eye problems, he volunteered that himself) and has a clean line with 5 generations on site. He also sounded old and scared of technology which explains the lack of web presence (I asked to put him on speakerphone so my partner could hear him and he was like "uhh what? I can't hear you!" hahah).

Also I think he's had a wait list for a while and already has people showing up- I just happened to email him at the right time to get in at the #10 spot for 10 puppies (assuming all goes well and he likes us and we like him and all that).

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Oh he also said he's not breeding his 5 generations together, but is bringing in some outside dogs and will eventually breed his line back in, so there's no sketchy inbreeding going on either.

TC_
Mar 17, 2006

Party time!!
:toot:
So if you've ever wondered what I naked corgi looks like, an incompetent groomer I took Sunny to provided us with an answer:

After I basically called her an idiot (they've done this once before, and I explicitly told them not to cut her so short) they ended up comping me, so at least I didn't have to pay them anything.

Still, I have the GI Jane of the corgi world for the next few months.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Terrible. Your poor dog. :argh:

I don't have much experience with groomers, but I was under the impression that corgis should never be shaved. About the only thing I could see doing for Josie is getting someone to brush/blow out her undercoat when she goes through seasonal shedding.

TC_
Mar 17, 2006

Party time!!
It didn't do her any harm, but I can tell she isn't happy with it. The silver lining is that we're in New Orleans and it's hot as hell here right now, so at least she's probably a little more comfortable.

Edit - also, the groomer gave her that little yellow bandana and Sunny won't let us take it off her, so apparently she's happy with that part.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I can't imagine cutting Butters' fur- my GF does a good job brushing him and even then he sheds like a sonofabitch. Though he did have part of his belly shaved when he was neutered a couple weeks ago and it looks kind of funny.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
Does anyone here have experience with taking an adult dog from a breeder? I just contacted a local breeder in South Carolina who is looking to place a retired champion dam who is three years old, and I'd kind of like to know what I'm getting into.

Angrykraut
Jul 23, 2004

Crunk Abortion posted:

Does anyone here have experience with taking an adult dog from a breeder? I just contacted a local breeder in South Carolina who is looking to place a retired champion dam who is three years old, and I'd kind of like to know what I'm getting into.

We had two rottweilers growing up that came from breeders at about 2.5-3 years old. Neither of them met standards for show. However, they had the benefit of being house broken and well socialized, both around people and other animals. Like with everything else, it depends on the breeder.

TC_
Mar 17, 2006

Party time!!
gently caress YEAH PARK ADVENTURE!

We almost got rained out, but luckily it was just a little afternoon shower. Sunny got to chase squirrels until she tired herself out, and I practically had to carry her back to the car. I forget she's an old lady sometimes.

Crunk Abortion posted:

Sunny was raised in my house so has known me her whole life, but she wasn't "my" dog until my mom gave her to me when she was about 9. I had virtually zero contact with her between her 3rd birthday and then because I had moved out of state. I'm sure the fact she knew who I was helped, but Sunny still adjusted amazingly fast, not just to her new home but to being an indoor dog instead of an outdoor one. She also bonded to my fiance, whom she had never met before, within days, and now follows her around everywhere.

I think what helped was that we brought the kennel Sunny has had her whole life; that's "her" home, so even after my mom left, Sunny understood that she was living with us now. Also make sure to bring some things that smell like the dog's old house (blankets, maybe a toy, etc) to ease the transition and increase his overall comfort level. You should also find out the type of food he's used to and stock up on that so he doesn't have to change his diet. Being extra nice and playing with your new boy as much as possible will help, and don't forget to hug and pet him a lot. Dogs are very sensitive to touch, and that's an easy way to show him that you care about him. Also, if he's used to hanging around with other dogs, expect him to want to follow you a lot. He's probably used to staying with his little pack all day (or at least that was the case with Sunny). We have a few dog beds around the apartment so Sunny has somewhere she can hang out when we're in a different room from her crate. Really it comes down to just showing your dog you love and care about him, and that you want him to hang out with you and be part of the family.

Anyway, your dam will pick up before too long; corgis are smart and intuitive little dogs. You may have to spend some time breaking habits or teaching him new ones, but that's really going to be true of any dog in a new house. With a male you might also run into problems with indoor peeing to mark his new territory, depending upon whether he's been snipped or not (which, if he was a show dog, I assume he hasn't been).

TC_ fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 30, 2011

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Crunk Abortion posted:

I think getting an adult dog could potentially be awesome. Do your research about the breeder, and any issues the dog might have, but if everything checks out then it might even be a better choice than getting a puppy. Puppies can be such little shits, they have to be taught everything about how you expect them to behave, and they have minimal attention span, which can be frustrating. I remember being so happy when our dog grew out of the puppy stage. If we wind up ready for another dog at some point, I fully plan on asking my dog's breeder if she or her friends have any adults that need to be placed.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

We visited the breeder today and he was really good. All his dogs are championed and they were all really chill and well behaved and friendly. They just barked little warning barks when we came near the house, and otherwise they were totally docile and sweet. The puppies were SO CUTE.

This is the little guy we picked out. The breeder has and shows a lot of his dogs-- he had three that are showing right now, and two that had litters at the same time. (he had about 100 projects around the house including chickens, tomatoes, an herb garden, rabbits, etc. and wanted to show them all to us-- he's retired and loves to have things to do, I guess!) We met both moms and went with the litter of the one who was the most friendly and wanted to be near us the most. This little guy licked my hand and was really snuggly when I held him and he licked Jeff's hand too! He also went exploring around nicely. He seemed the least anxious of all the puppies we held. He also had the most black out of all the puppies, which I'm not sure is breed ideal or whatever, but we thought the little diamond on his back instead of the full white collar was cute.

Jeff took way more photos and some video and I'm sure will post to this thread too!

We get to take him home on June 20th. I can't wait!

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
adding to aliceamadee's post:

i can confirm with a high degree of certainty that the puppies were, indeed, cute.

the breeder was a nice older gentleman. very chatty, talkative and didn't shy away from any questions about his line, any medical problems, etc. he said that he gets all of the dogs checked for hip displasia and also checked for PRA (?, i think that's what it's called - the one that deals with retina issues) among others. he has close breeder friends, shows dogs regularly and will place them if there are any issues down the road. he also gave us a money back guarantee for any issues that might crop up. all-in-all, he seemed like a legit, sensible man who has been doing this for many years, has bred winners, had beautiful, well adjusted dogs and he simply loved the breed.

the whole operation was kind of interesting to see -- from his multitude of ways he kennels his dogs (depending on need, age etc) to the ramp he built up to his porch for the pregnant mothers to waddle up to house. the dogs accepted us willingly and all were incredibly quiet and friendly (and shedding hair everywhere!)

he had three dogs ready to be shown in two shows in the ensuing weeks and they were adorable little things. we asked him if cardigans were usually as quiet and well-mannered and he mentioned that his vet and other breeders had told him that they thought his dogs were much more quiet and well-mannered than most cardigans in their experience and that all of his dogs, from the first few to the most recent were that way. he didn't breed for temperament specifically, but that since the parents were that way, it was likely that that's why the later generations were that way as well. it certainly seemed to be born out in the loving friendly dogs lounging around us while we peppered him with question after question.

he gave us a copy of the contract and asked us to call if we had any questions. we made arrangements to go pick up the dog (named Orbit tentatively) on june 20th and so we have our work set, many things to buy and arrangements to be made.

meeting him, seeing how he ran things and how readily he answered questions we had on what he does, how he does it, what brought him to be a dog breeder, how his dogs do at shows, and a million other questions we had gave me a great deal of confidence coming out of it that we'd made a decent choice.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
just postin to say that i got a corgi too

he dont give a gently caress

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

anachrodragon posted:

I think getting an adult dog could potentially be awesome. Do your research about the breeder, and any issues the dog might have, but if everything checks out then it might even be a better choice than getting a puppy. Puppies can be such little shits, they have to be taught everything about how you expect them to behave, and they have minimal attention span, which can be frustrating. I remember being so happy when our dog grew out of the puppy stage. If we wind up ready for another dog at some point, I fully plan on asking my dog's breeder if she or her friends have any adults that need to be placed.

That's kind of the idea. I've wanted a corgi for as long as I can remember, but being single, working full time and then bringing a puppy into an apartment sounds like a death pact for everyone involved. She's housebroken and crate trained, well socialized and still young enough to run around and play. I see no downside. $200 cheaper than a puppy is icing on the cake.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

More photos of our puppy:

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Aliceamadee, how old is he? He looks so much bigger than my little dude did when I visited, haha. (Though he was 5 weeks old and a Pembroke).

I got new photos the other day, he's 6 weeks old in these. His ears are standing up already! :3:

And this is how big he was when I got to visit him a little over a week ago:

He'll be 8 weeks old June 12, so that's when I'm picking him up. Can't wait!

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Kerafyrm posted:

Aliceamadee, how old is he? He looks so much bigger than my little dude did when I visited, haha. (Though he was 5 weeks old and a Pembroke).

He'll be 8 weeks old June 12, so that's when I'm picking him up. Can't wait!

The last picture of your dude from a week ago looks about the same size as our dude was yesterday, and we're picking him up a week after you are (June 20th), so I think the sizes are about right :)

Please post a bunch about how the first week goes! I think that's what I'm most nervous about, so it's kind of cool that you'll be going through it exactly the week before us!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
i hate all of you so much been on waitlist since april puppies not due until july won't get to bring home until september jesus going to explode

(not really, just OH GOD THE WAITING)
:)

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

I'll definitely let you know! I've been thinking about starting a puppy blog for the purposes of pictures and documenting puppy craziness, so if I do I'll link you. :)

And I feel your pain! I've been waitlisted since February, so it seems kinda crazy that it's just around the corner now.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

aliceamadee posted:

Awww baby black and white Cardi. He's damned cute!

Reminds me a lot of Josie when she was a baby.

TC_
Mar 17, 2006

Party time!!

Kerafyrm posted:

I kinda dig the eyepatch \ eyebrow thing he's got going on.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

TC_ posted:

I kinda dig the eyepatch \ eyebrow thing he's got going on.

Yeah, I do too! He probably won't keep it as he'll probably be red-headed (unless the father had a recessive black headed gene- his father is red-headed, the mother black), but he'll be awesome either way, I love both colors of tris. :)

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

I'm a creepy furry who feels entitled to other people's babies, but only if they are white. Yiff!
Something to add re: DM (degenerative myelopathy) - I just lost my (non-corgi) dog to this about three weeks ago, and my brother's pembroke has it as well. Rhiannon cannot use her back legs AT ALL and just drags herself around everywhere. My brother carries her into and out of the house for potty, and up and down the stairs, and on and off of the bed/couch, because he rocks, but it's a VERY VERY sad terrible progressive disease. Please please for the love of dog, make sure you guys get your corgis tested and try to get them from breeders who screen. I have never been so sad before, experiencing DM firsthand.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Papaya posted:

Something to add re: DM (degenerative myelopathy) - I just lost my (non-corgi) dog to this about three weeks ago, and my brother's pembroke has it as well. Rhiannon cannot use her back legs AT ALL and just drags herself around everywhere. My brother carries her into and out of the house for potty, and up and down the stairs, and on and off of the bed/couch, because he rocks, but it's a VERY VERY sad terrible progressive disease. Please please for the love of dog, make sure you guys get your corgis tested and try to get them from breeders who screen. I have never been so sad before, experiencing DM firsthand.

Papaya, your Jade was a beautiful dog, and it's heartbreaking that you had to go through DM with her. I hope things are getting slightly easier as time goes by. :smith:

And yes, folks who are interested in getting a corgi should absolutely stick with breeders who screen for it.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Got a reply from the breeder today, and from what I've seen so far they seem pretty legitimate. Reading all the info on PI has made me into a byb-paranoid sonofabitch so I figured I'd double check with you guys since you seem to know what the gently caress you're talking about.

http://www.fairwyncorgis.com/ is the breeder, and I found them through the pembroke welsh corgi club of america's web site, so I'm hoping they're legit.

In return for your discernment, here is a picture of my (hopefully) soon to be new roommate :3:

Edit: It's looking like she hasn't been screened yet for DM, but her hips and eyes are certified. How much does it cost to have that screening done?

Crunk Abortion fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 3, 2011

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Crunk Abortion posted:

Got a reply from the breeder today, and from what I've seen so far they seem pretty legitimate. Reading all the info on PI has made me into a byb-paranoid sonofabitch so I figured I'd double check with you guys since you seem to know what the gently caress you're talking about.

Edit: It's looking like she hasn't been screened yet for DM, but her hips and eyes are certified. How much does it cost to have that screening done?

The breeder looks good...really good! I don't know if you need to screen for DM - most breeders don't screen dogs that won't be breeding stock - but if it's just for your own peace of mind, the OFA website says that submitting DNA for a DM test is $65 per dog. Here's the link to take you to their "shopping cart" (lol).

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

emoltra posted:

ahaha

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

emoltra posted:

Cool, but rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Crunk Abortion posted:

http://www.fairwyncorgis.com/ is the breeder, and I found them through the pembroke welsh corgi club of america's web site, so I'm hoping they're legit.

In return for your discernment, here is a picture of my (hopefully) soon to be new roommate :3:

She's a beautiful dog, and the breeder looks good. I'd snatch her up in a heartbeat. Don't worry about the DM test. It's more for dogs that will be bred, because you want to make sure you don't breed two carriers together. You could still do the genetic test of course, but I don't think it would be that useful. Even if your dog came up with two copies of the mutated gene, I don't think that's a guarantee that she would develop the disease, just a much higher risk.

• Locked thread