Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

td4guy posted:

There's a good post here outlining many of the issues with the Epic 4G and Samsung in general. And another post here about how and why their software tends to suck.

Thanks for not just saying TouchWiz. I happen to like the interface. :unsmith:

Of course, I also like having an actual keyboard if I'm going to be doing any typing, which makes me even more of a minority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Alman posted:

Yeah, I'd be scared.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

thelightguy posted:

Thanks for not just saying TouchWiz. I happen to like the interface. :unsmith:
TouchWiz is OK. The Calendar is pretty decent and the launcher is alright too. I'm not a huge fan of bubble SMS and preferred the Messaging program that came with Eclair. My two complaints are (i) the inability to sort contacts by last name, or at least couldn't in Eclair--haven't tried since, and (ii) the drat Battery Full popup.

Seriously folks, if there's any indication that Samsung software engineers don't use their own phones, it's the Battery Full popup. *beep beep*, screen turns on at 3am with an unclearable notification and modal dialog box, that fucks with the alarm clock when it goes off later? If they actually used this poo poo it would be gone post-haste.

And yes, there's battery popup mods, thankfully!

thelightguy posted:

Of course, I also like having an actual keyboard if I'm going to be doing any typing, which makes me even more of a minority.
It's a bit unfortunate that the Epic keyboard driver sucks. Eats CPU and battery while actively typing, and unmodified, has horrible responsiveness. That said, the keyboard layout is perfect and it cannot be beat for ConnectBot.

Properly modified and bug-reduced, I actually like my Epic. Keep in mind that the Nexus S 4G is nearly identical hardware, with NFC instead of a keyboard. Pretty much everyone regard the Nexus S 4G as a great phone, if not a little dated spec-wise. The Epic, especially at the time it came out, could've been just as great if the software situation on it wasn't kind of hosed.

nate fisher posted:

I prefer HTC over Samsung but all the real positive reviews of the SGS2 has gotten my attention.
Jury is still out on whether the SGSII software situation has been sufficiently fixed. That said, what Samsung has done with regard to getting rid of the proprietary bits in the kernel is a great start, and it's possible that they may have improved the software stack on the device just enough that it will get even more developer attention, especially I hope the CDMA models, that a legitimate (not Frankenhacked) CyanogenMod port will happen. Which, if so, pretty much resolves the remaining software issues.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 26, 2011

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

nate fisher posted:

I have a family member with each and prefer the Epic over the Shift if going for a phone with a keyboard. That could change if it runs into issues. I prefer HTC over Samsung but all the real positive reviews of the SGS2 has gotten my attention.

I would love the SGS2 if it had a kickstand. I use my phone at work sometimes to stream Netflix in the background on my desk, and the kickstand is VITAL.

Or a horizontal dock, but I don't think those exist.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
My local Sprint store is FINALLY taking Evo 3d pre-orders, so i'm gonna go do that tomorrow and secure one for myself. Looks like they are going to be a hot item.

More and more rumors are reporting a June 4th release but i'm skeptical. They are referring to an internal memo saying "a rough release date of June 4". I imagine they will give us more then a week notice that the device is becoming available.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So, question for anyone that has an evo: should I sell my nook color (running the kindle app) if I'm getting the 3d? How is it for reading ebooks on?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I have a family member with each and prefer the Epic over the Shift if going for a phone with a keyboard. That could change if it runs into issues. I prefer HTC over Samsung but all the real positive reviews of the SGS2 has gotten my attention.

Take reviews with a grain of salt.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/16/epic-4g-review/

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

change my name posted:

So, question for anyone that has an evo: should I sell my nook color (running the kindle app) if I'm getting the 3d? How is it for reading ebooks on?

Of course you shouldn't. Four inches is not great to read on. You CAN read on it, but it'd get pretty annoying pretty fast. Keep the Nook.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

thelightguy posted:

Ech. There's a reason Samsung and HTC are the only two manufacturers worth a drat. And not even HTC given the current situation with the bootloader.

What is all the Samsung hate here anyway? Is it really all just because of the botched 2.2 rollout? The Epic 4G appears to be almost universally a better phone than the EVO Shift, despite sitting at the same price point.

People who sell Samsung phones hate Samsung with a passion. The amount of weird, glitchy issues that only pertain to Samsung is overwhelming. At my store, Epic returns compared to Evos is probably 10:1.

Had a girl where her Intercept took about, no hyperbole, 5 minutes to boot up, and then another 2-3 minute before it is actually useable it's so laggy. She didn't have any crazy apps running. One time it wouldn't boot up after about 10 minutes, so I had to pull the battery and try again. Just a piece of poo poo phone made by Samsung.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Hooray, Scarlet at retentions was able to move my upgrade to June 1st. Probably going to preorder an EVO3D tomorrow or the next day, just one question: the brick & mortar store should be able to sell it to me with my EPRP, yes? They had no problem moving my lines from one EPRP account to another, so surely they can do something as simple as activate a new device (and its $10 extra fee) on the account? I'm not the primary name on the account anymore, but I have the PIN and "secret question" answer.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rent posted:

At my store, Epic returns compared to Evos is probably 10:1.
Have any examples the Epic glitches that prompt return?

I'm familiar with the issues that are known around tech circles, but I'm curious what "regular folks" run into that are significant enough to prompt return.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

It's crazy how the general tone of this thread has changed in the past 6 months. Sprint announced the Evo Shift and Echo, while everyone else was announcing all these high tech phones. Now we have the Nexus S 4G, Evo 3D, Atrix and most likely a few more for later this year.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
Sprint literally calls me every day now. It must be because my contract is expiring. I am not really interested in reupping unless I can get a decent phone for cheap. Considering the Evo 3D is about to hit, think there will be a price drop soon on the Nexus S 4G?

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Tatsujin posted:

Sprint literally calls me every day now. It must be because my contract is expiring. I am not really interested in reupping unless I can get a decent phone for cheap. Considering the Evo 3D is about to hit, think there will be a price drop soon on the Nexus S 4G?

Did they offer you a $75 credit to reup your contract? You can stack that with the normal phone subsidy discount.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Tatsujin posted:

I get pretty frequent calls too. And they actively try to trick me. And piss me off. It's ridiculous.

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

Alman posted:

A cam watching redtail hawks on the Sprint campus :3: (where we almost got hit by a tornado this morning!!)

http://www.varacam.com/index.htm

I'm jealous of you working at the main campus, I can't wait to work there one of these years when I complete my college degree :allears: I just started a few weeks ago as a dedicated care rep and am really enjoying the company so far!

Not jealous of the tornadoes though, I hope everyone over there is okay :ohdear:

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN

ZeroAX posted:

Did they offer you a $75 credit to reup your contract? You can stack that with the normal phone subsidy discount.

If that's what they normally do, I want a little more (even though I know how greedy I am being at this point). I'm just mainly pissed that they made me sign a contract on a new line earlier this year because I brought in a non-contract phone for my fiancee. They did say that its instantly eligible for upgrade and when I do upgrade it, it resets to 2-years, but its still on contract either way :\

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm familiar with the issues that are known around tech circles, but I'm curious what "regular folks" run into that are significant enough to prompt return.

He did mention Samsung in general, and intercepts and transforms tend to come back a few months later not working.

Epics it varies. I had one or two that wouldn't connect to 4g. I know I've seen two that had a glitch where only two of the bottom 4 default touchwiz buttons showed (I believe phone and apparently drawer). Getting the phone to sign into google for the first time is still sometimes a crap shoot. Another time it would freeze when trying to call back from the call log screen. Lots of little things, sometimes wiping fixes it, sometimes it doesn't.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Shed posted:

I'm jealous of you working at the main campus, I can't wait to work there one of these years when I complete my college degree :allears: I just started a few weeks ago as a dedicated care rep and am really enjoying the company so far!

Not jealous of the tornadoes though, I hope everyone over there is okay :ohdear:

Haha, the tornadoes were actually really close, probably the closest I've ever been (and I've lived in KS all my life), but I'd probably guess your best bet in moving to the headquarters is to get some sort of business or computer science degree because that's pretty much everyone here. And actually some people I know have a cube here but work from home 5 days a week (my organization lets us work from home one day a week), but with so much to do around here not sure why someone would do that.

To those complaining about Sprint calling a lot: my guess is that they really want you to stay because when you leave it goes directly to the churn numbers which is probably the biggest metric for a wireless telecom. I'm not saying you should stay or go because everyone has a different experience, just providing the reason why you're getting lots of calls. Also, if you're having a specific issue you want resolved, let me know and I can submit a ticket that will get (relatively) high priority.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.

ZeroAX posted:

I wish they would offer that to me. I've been out of contract for close to three years now :(

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I would love the SGS2 if it had a kickstand. I use my phone at work sometimes to stream Netflix in the background on my desk, and the kickstand is VITAL.

Or a horizontal dock, but I don't think those exist.

The Epic has a horizontal dock, nothing seemingly terribly complex as it appears to be a weighted base with some hardware in there to pipe sound out via USB to a 3.5mm Jack.

I would recommend checking with Samsung to see if it takes it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Epics it varies. I had one or two that wouldn't connect to 4g. I know I've seen two that had a glitch where only two of the bottom 4 default touchwiz buttons showed (I believe phone and apparently drawer). Getting the phone to sign into google for the first time is still sometimes a crap shoot. Another time it would freeze when trying to call back from the call log screen.
Interesting, I haven't heard of these. Sounds like mostly one-off issues, possibly due to pesky bugs that'll never get sorted out.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't look amazing, but the Motorola XPert (Droid Pro) is a frickin World phone, first Android Sprint world phone. Sprint needed that badly.

Also, looks like fees are coming back to the online store. So $36 activation fee and $18 upgrade fee applies even if you get the phone online now. Sucks for customers, Sprint retail reps will love this though.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 26, 2011

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

Alman posted:

Haha, the tornadoes were actually really close, probably the closest I've ever been (and I've lived in KS all my life), but I'd probably guess your best bet in moving to the headquarters is to get some sort of business or computer science degree because that's pretty much everyone here. And actually some people I know have a cube here but work from home 5 days a week (my organization lets us work from home one day a week), but with so much to do around here not sure why someone would do that.

Sadly I'm not going for either of those degrees. I'm a little limited because I'm working full-time while attending school, and my university doesn't offer that many online degrees. :(

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Mainly massive lag, and I'm not sure why. Sometimes when I look at a customer's phone, it's just absolutely ridiculous how laggy these phones get. That and a lot of them still seem to have GPS issues. Lot of touch issues like sliding the unlock button takes several tries.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rent posted:

Mainly massive lag, and I'm not sure why. Sometimes when I look at a customer's phone, it's just absolutely ridiculous how laggy these phones get. That and a lot of them still seem to have GPS issues. Lot of touch issues like sliding the unlock button takes several tries.

I just had my 2nd glitch where the messaging app randomly screws numbers and won't send out text messages (I think because it somehow loses the area code). Deleting the thread and starting a new one doesn't work. My only solution is to download handcent and make that the default messaging app, I think that works.

And I have another Epic being returned tomorrow, I believe the customer's explanation over the phone was something like "I don't know if I can handle another day with this piece of poo poo phone you sold me." Here's hoping she wants the Evo Shift.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Any Sprint goons in the LA area know of a corporate store doing preorders for the Evo yet? All I got at the one I stopped at after work was "its not even out yet." Yes, that would be why I am interested in preordering one.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
Just posted on Facebook.

quote:

"There has been overwhelmingly customer feedback that people want access to open bootloaders on HTC phones. I want you to know that we've listened. Today, I'm confirming we will no longer be locking the bootloaders on our devices. Thanks for your passion, support and patience," Peter Chou, CEO of HTC

Hopefully it includes the 3D.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.

TheBlackMallard posted:

Just posted on Facebook.

Holy fuckballs HTC rules

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TheBlackMallard posted:

Just posted on Facebook.

Cynical me says "yeah, just signing and encrypting them!"

Optimist me says gently caress YES I LOVE YOU HTC

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
I'm hopeful this will be retroactive to the recent phones that are locked down like the Desire S, Incredible S, Sensation, and of course the EVO 3D. Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't a simple OTA update effectively unlock the bootloader to return the security to the way HTC devices were last year?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Wow, who saw that coming? They have no actual obligation to allow people to hack away at their devices yet they listen the vocal minority and open their devices back up. Good for them. I'm glad my last four phones have been HTC.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Wow that is seriously incredible. I'm such a cynic and never saw that coming. Especially because I figured a large part of the policy was carrier mandated.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I'm hopeful this will be retroactive to the recent phones that are locked down like the Desire S, Incredible S, Sensation, and of course the EVO 3D. Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't a simple OTA update effectively unlock the bootloader to return the security to the way HTC devices were last year?
Absolutely. HTC has the ability to sign and encrypt any image they want so they can flash anything they want on there.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Wow, who saw that coming? They have no actual obligation to allow people to hack away at their devices yet they listen the vocal minority and open their devices back up. Good for them. I'm glad my last four phones have been HTC.

Same here. Mogul, TP1, TP2, and an Evo. They pretty much just guaranteed my next phone to be an HTC phone now.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

I just had my 2nd glitch where the messaging app randomly screws numbers and won't send out text messages (I think because it somehow loses the area code). Deleting the thread and starting a new one doesn't work. My only solution is to download handcent and make that the default messaging app, I think that works.

And I have another Epic being returned tomorrow, I believe the customer's explanation over the phone was something like "I don't know if I can handle another day with this piece of poo poo phone you sold me." Here's hoping she wants the Evo Shift.

Epics are free this week at Best Buy. I mean, it's an amazing deal... if you have no issues. But I know half those customers are going to have issues :(

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rent posted:

Epics are free this week at Best Buy. I mean, it's an amazing deal... if you have no issues. But I know half those customers are going to have issues :(

At least now you can use the "its a free phone what do you expect" excuse! But yeah, crazy promotion, I donno of best buy is desperate (doubtful) or just crazy.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

TheBlackMallard posted:

Just posted on Facebook.

:psypop:

Jesus loving christ. I can't believe it. I really can't.

This is like the most unprecedented poo poo ever and I hope it stretches to the Evo 3D. I was seriously expecting them to go "we've looked into it but don't give a gently caress".

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

TheBlackMallard posted:

Just posted on Facebook.

drat. This just confirmed my EVO 3D purchase. If I want to sign up for a new EPRP plan (and port my number from Verizon), should I be preordering now? Or is that only for regular plan users? Also I read somewhere in this thread of a discount for porting my number over? Is that true or am I just imagining things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

FlyingCheese posted:

drat. This just confirmed my EVO 3D purchase. If I want to sign up for a new EPRP plan (and port my number from Verizon), should I be preordering now? Or is that only for regular plan users? Also I read somewhere in this thread of a discount for porting my number over? Is that true or am I just imagining things?

Not to be pessimistic or anything, but HTC's about face doesn't necessarily mean the EVO 3D will have its bootloader unlocked. The phones almost certainly have their launch software on them and they're probably going on sale in early June. They will probably be locked out of the box and will require a software update to unlock them. If HTC really wants to make good on their promise they'll quickly release updates for the current and upcoming phones that are locked, but there's no guarantee that anything will change for phones like the EVO 3D and Sensation that are on the cusp of launch. If the locked bootloader is a dealbreaker for the EVO 3D for you, I'd wait until there's some confirmation that HTC will unlock it, or that the dev community will be able to.