Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Powershift posted:

At 83hp and 82ft/lbs, what mazda has esentially made here is an engine that sacrifices power and the ability to run regular gas to produce a really high fuel economy rating. The world's first gasoline powered diesel!(minus the torque)

Except (at least around here, Western PA) even premium fuel is cheaper than diesel and a lot easier to find. Also, there are no diesels on sale in the american market that get that good of gas mileage. It probably has an easier time meeting emissions and doesn't need any wee injections or anything like that.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Powershift posted:

At 83hp and 82ft/lbs, what mazda has esentially made here is an engine that sacrifices power and the ability to run regular gas to produce a really high fuel economy rating. The world's first gasoline powered diesel!(minus the torque)

The figures aren't out of line for the segment, its more than the basic three cylinder Micra and the basic Yaris is around the same level too. Some of the Euros are even less, you can get a 54hp 1.1 Fiat engine in some markets

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

Powershift posted:

The scary part is that the skyG engine runs 14:1 compression and requires premium gas. Eventually, somebody is going to put regular in, or just plain bad gas, and at 14:1 compression some bad things could happen.
Isn't that why knock sensors exist?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The way most people seem to drive (not around here, obviously), they won't notice the difference between 90hp and 200hp, they'll just have to push the gas pedal further to do the same thing.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Looks like the skyG engine has some sort of automatic stop/start feature. I remember reading that it uses some neat technology that basically uses combustion instead of the starter motor to get the engine going again.

Which sounds cool because I have this fear of seeing a bunch of cars stalled out at intersections in the future because their starter motors poo poo out when the light turned green. I mean, it's already inconvenient enough when your engine won't crank over when your parked in the driveway or leaving work. How about at a huge intersection?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I drove some cars this weekend.

Rented the Chrysler 200 Convertible for the last couple days of RailsConf in Baltimore and a couple days of general DC stuff; the back seat isn't hostile to human life like some convertibles and the interior seems pretty nice. However, the body is pretty floppy on bad roads and the convertible mechanism is slow as hell and blocks off most of the trunk when it's down. If you have anything other than one person's carry-ons in there you're not putting the top down.

And last night, since my forty minute flight got delayed four hours, I rented a 2011 Hyundai Genesis sedan for the three hour drive to South Florida. It was quite quiet and smooth on the highways, had lots of pull all three times I took on-ramps, and seemed nice. The USB port didn't work with my iPhone 3GS and the blue LCD screen on the stereo was too bright even at the lowest setting.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Bob Lutz's book is out.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110523/CARNEWS/110529943

quote:

According to Bob: How GM cars got better
By PETER BROWN, AUTOMOTIVE NEWS on 5/23/2011

Even before he rode into General Motors as the product-development savior in 2001, Bob Lutz found himself being recruited for plots to take over the company.

There was Heinz Prechter, the ASC sunroof king who proposed that Lutz and ex-Chrysler executive Steve Miller join with him as a pre-assembled management team to buy shares and get the board to clean out management.

There was J.T. Battenberg, the former GM executive who undertook the thankless and ultimately impossible task of making money at Delphi Corp., the spun-off hodgepodge of former GM parts operations. Battenberg, Lutz writes in his new memoir-cum-management book, Car Guys vs. Bean Counters, "called me at work one day. His proposal: he would exert backdoor influence to have me elected CEO of GM" because he was concerned about the direction of the company.

Those are among the startling revelations in Lutz's book, which hits the bookstores next month.

The book is pure Lutz. Self-confident and self-congratulatory in way that could be repulsive with anybody else, it's funny, congenial and sometimes self-deprecatory. And honest.

The book gives the best-ever insider's view of a dysfunctional if polite GM culture that valued process, rules and hierarchy above all else, even above the product and the customer.

Lutz's book inadvertently raises the question: At GM, will Lutzism outlast Lutz? In his great success leading a top team at Chrysler in the 1990s, "I obviously failed to create a sustainable culture of customer focus and product excellence at Chrysler. But I believe the lesson will 'stick' at GM."

The jury is still out. And GM already has rearranged product development by installing a good organizer/manager, rather than an intuitive "car guy," at the head of the organization.

Lutz proudly wears his motto: "Often wrong, but never in doubt." (A disclaimer: I'm among those who give Lutz credit for revolutionizing GM's car lineup and turning dull appliances with tacky interiors into attractive, desirable vehicles that people would want to buy. Exhibit A: the Chevrolet Malibu.)

As a management book, Car Guys argues that intuitive and creative product people (like Lutz!) should be running things, not those analytical MBAs. He also argues that GM's fall was largely a result of a) terrible government policy on fuel economy, which basically gave the Japanese automakers a free pass, and b) a mean-spirited media that reveled in being unfair to GM and its Detroit peers.

Against outsiders like the media, Lutz is like the mother of the bad kid: protective. Then, after blaming others for GM's failure, he spends half the book with sometimes hilarious anecdotes about GM's stultifying culture, which almost guaranteed mediocre cars that consumers could blithely ignore. Never in doubt.

'A horror show'

Soon before he started as vice chairman in September 2001, Lutz had a look-around at GM's future products. He held his tongue about cars and SUVs that "were obviously doomed to failure."

At the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance that year, GM design chief Wayne Cherry invited Lutz to his suite and showed him photos of future cars: "It was a horror show."

To Lutz's surprise, Cherry said: "I don't like any of these either. Most of them are really awful."

The problem wasn't that Cherry and his team couldn't design. It was that GM's vehicle line executives determined everything, including design, and their main goal wasn't to create great cars but to meet all their cost targets and deadlines, in part to show that GM could develop cars just as fast as Toyota could. (Toyota is a tremendous bugaboo to Lutz, so irritating that he and his team created the Chevy Volt to try to leapfrog Toyota and what he considered its unwarranted reputation as the green company.)

At his first meetings with GM's top strategy boards, Lutz found "the notable absence of any focus on the thing that matters most: the company's products."

When he got into the GM brands, Lutz found silly pictures of "homes, furniture, watches, sunglasses, pens, pots and pans and (almost without fail) a golden retriever or two, all indicative of the mood, or soul, of the brand."

"It was unmitigated hogwash."

At Buick, GM's experts had decided that to cater to the elderly, the cars would have no instrument panel but would instead be run by voice controls. Lutz drove a prototype with an engineer.

"At his urging, I asked for 'more cold air.' 'No, no!' he said. 'You have to scroll verbally! First say 'climate control.' When the car says 'climate control,' you say 'blower. When the car repeats 'blower," you say 'up one.' Same with temperature.'"

The next morning, Lutz killed the system.

He found a mind-numbing array of standards, many of which led directly to unappealing vehicles: a standard for tire robustness that required small wheels and plump tires; a standard meant to combat paint chips that required tucking the wheels too far inside the wheel well, guaranteeing a wimpy stance; an ashtray standard (must work at 40 below) that made openings uniformly hard to work.

Giving design back to design

Lutz's first initiative was to give design back to design. He empowered Wayne Cherry to make attractive cars. He lectured his people regularly on fit and finish, comparing GM's mediocre offerings to the quality of cars from Audi to Hyundai.

Lutz discovered that GM had people who could do great things. But the culture had demanded something else.

He also graciously identifies heroes at GM:

-- Former manufacturing chief Gary Cowger, who created a high-function relationship with the UAW and brought manufacturing into a global system.

-- Former engineering chief Jim Queen, who energetically standardized and globalized engineering.

-- The "beleaguered, brave Anne Asensio," the French designer who "was fighting a battle with all the 'best practices' folks from all the functional areas." She won her lonely fight for high-quality interiors.

-- Joe Spielman, the hulking, brash head of "Metal Fab," who, once given clear direction by Lutz, quickly turned GM's wide body-panel gaps into world-class fits and finishes.

-- Ed Welburn, who, in "my finest personnel decision" replaced the retired Wayne Cherry as head of design and who "has taken GM Design back to a level exceeding the halcyon days of the 1950s and 1960s."

-- Jon Lauckner, a vehicle line executive who ran the first global vehicle program, and who later conceived and ran interference for Lutz's "Hail Mary" to overtake Toyota in environmentalism, the electric, extended-range Chevy Volt. "With a sharp wit, an argumentative nature, and a very un-GM propensity to recognize bad performance and do so out loud, Jon was respected more than loved."

Neither hero nor villain is the man who hired Lutz to improve GM's vehicles: CEO Rick Wagoner. "Rick was a kind, intelligent CEO of spectacular human qualities," Lutz writes. Lutz's Wagoner is brilliant, congenial, well-intentioned. He made many good decisions, such as going global with product-development and buying the remnants of Korea's Daewoo. But he was a product of the GM culture.

Whitacre and Wagoner

Lutz contrasts Wagoner's "democratic" leadership with the "brilliant despot" at Volkswagen Group, Ferdinand Piech, and with one of the three Wagoner successors after the Obama administration fired Wagoner.

The Texan Ed Whitacre focused on results, especially sales results. And the company adopted as its mission statement "to design, build, and sell the world's best cars and trucks."

"Understanding the beauty and efficiency of the simple message was Ed's genius," Lutz writes. "Whitacre is much smarter than he wants you to believe, but in a battle of IQs, I'm sure he, as almost all of us, would succumb to the intellectual powerhouse that resided in Rick Wagoner. Who has the better leadership style? Who was a more effective CEO? Whitacre's term was too short to draw any meaningful conclusions."

Lutz recounts the horrors that ultimately led to GM's failure: the collapse of GMAC over residential mortgages; the spike in fuel prices in 2008 that made it impossible to sell trucks; and then the global financial collapse. (Even as he rails against people who think humans have anything to do with global warming, Lutz has long argued for gradually greater taxes on gasoline, as a way to bring demand for fuel-efficient -- and global -- vehicles in line with rising fuel economy.)

When GM came under the thumb of the Obama administration's task force, Lutz the Happy Warrior writes, "they were expecting the situation I had found seven years earlier. Happily, they were amazed by the spirit, skill, dedication and speed of GM's product creators and our laserlike focus on developing best-in-class vehicles."

Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Bob Lutz's book is wonderfully readable, insightful, funny and, of course, sometimes self-serving. Just as Bob Lutz was the most human of automotive executives during the past three decades, Car Guys is human in a way that few business books are human.

And it leaves hanging the question: Will the product-development revolution that Lutz personified at General Motors outlive the outsized Lutz?

"My effort to instill into the organization a drive for perfection and customer delight in all things was successful," Lutz concludes. "And still I wonder -- was I right? Did I change the core of the product development culture by teaching, or did I rely too much on my own will and my considerable influence to get what I wanted? If the latter, excellence will soon be lost again, and 'value engineering' and 'Let's see how much we can cut before the customers start complaining' will rear their ugly heads again.'"

It's a big question, far from answered. The executives running the new GM ought to keep a copy of Car Guys handy to remind themselves what happens when process, rules and hierarchy trump common sense and a focus on the customer and the product.

It was government regulation and the biased Japanophile media that caused the demise of GM and Chrysler, and definitely not the management of Rick Wagoner and Bob Lutz. :tipshat:

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

quote:

At Buick, GM's experts had decided that to cater to the elderly, the cars would have no instrument panel but would instead be run by voice controls. Lutz drove a prototype with an engineer.

"At his urging, I asked for 'more cold air.' 'No, no!' he said. 'You have to scroll verbally! First say 'climate control.' When the car says 'climate control,' you say 'blower. When the car repeats 'blower," you say 'up one.' Same with temperature.'"

Ahahahaha it's almost as if they had never met an old person.

On second thought, this could have been an ingenious plot to make it impossible for old people to operate their cars, thus making the roads much safer for the rest of us. drat you Bob Lutz!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

heat posted:

Ahahahaha it's almost as if they had never met an old person.

On second thought, this could have been an ingenious plot to make it impossible for old people to operate their cars, thus making the roads much safer for the rest of us. drat you Bob Lutz!
Well, BMW made iDrive...

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110524/CARNEWS/110529913

BMW 5 GT sells like syphilis.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Throatwarbler posted:

They made the X6 twice, and are surprised when one of them didn't sell?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Throatwarbler posted:

I saw that poo poo in person once. It looks like an outbreak of syphilis as well.

Apart from the 3 series, new BMWs are hideous and bloated.

E: hahaha wtf? that poo poo isn't even a proper hatchback? Just when you thought it couldn't get any more useless....

E2: apparently the bottom part and top parts of the hatch open up. That's pretty neat I guess

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 26, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

travisray2004 posted:

E: hahaha wtf? that poo poo isn't even a proper hatchback? Just when you thought it couldn't get any more useless....

How on earth did they expect that to attract the station wagon demographic?

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Not only that, however few they are selling are people who would otherwise be in the market for the more expensive 7 series, so they're effectively losing money every time they sell one.

What were they thinking? And even worse, what was Audi thinking when they decided to copy the drat thing with the A7?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Throatwarbler posted:

Bob Lutz's book is out. It was government regulation and the biased Japanophile media that caused the demise of GM and Chrysler, and definitely not the management of Rick Wagoner and Bob Lutz. :tipshat:

It isn't out just yet. Absolutely worth reading though, even if Lutz is a tool.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

el topo posted:

Not only that, however few they are selling are people who would otherwise be in the market for the more expensive 7 series, so they're effectively losing money every time they sell one.

What were they thinking? And even worse, what was Audi thinking when they decided to copy the drat thing with the A7?

The A7 is a 4 door coupe,the GT is a crossover/wagon/liftback/abomination. While these are bullshit terms, I think the A7 was more so copying the CLS. Regardless, it just came out and already looks dated.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

travisray2004 posted:

The A7 is a 4 door coupe,the GT is a crossover/wagon/liftback/abomination. While these are bullshit terms, I think the A7 was more so copying the CLS. Regardless, it just came out and already looks dated.

The A7 looks more stylish than the rest of the range (I was just at the dealership today to get my A4 fixed) but Audi just has too many models ATM, there seems to be little distinction from one model to another. They made the A4 bigger so it cannibalizes A6 sales, and the A7 has to grab sales from both the A6 and the A8 (assuming it's selling). The "sportback" does have more ambitious lines than the rest especially now that both the A6 and the A8 look like scaled-up A4s.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Throatwarbler posted:

what an abomination. I hope this means that they will bring the wagon back to the US then. Because once my e39 dies, that will be the next ride.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

el topo posted:

The A7 looks more stylish than the rest of the range (I was just at the dealership today to get my A4 fixed) but Audi just has too many models ATM, there seems to be little distinction from one model to another. They made the A4 bigger so it cannibalizes A6 sales, and the A7 has to grab sales from both the A6 and the A8 (assuming it's selling). The "sportback" does have more ambitious lines than the rest especially now that both the A6 and the A8 look like scaled-up A4s.

I remember reading a while back the the upcoming A4 would be getting smaller but I completely agree. I was actually talking to a friend about this a while back, there's no reason to have a complete range from a1-a9 (which is supposedly coming). On top of that the Q3 is coming and a most likely a Q1 to compete with the X1. The Germans are losing focus in my opinion.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
They should just have replaced the A6 with what is now the A7.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well the A7 is just an A6 with a hatch so who really cares, it's not like it costs them any more money to make.

The 5 GT is an entirely different thing. I heard it was essentially made for the Chinese chauffeur market - a 5 series in the front and a 7 series in the back, with reclining and adjustable rear seats. I saw them everywhere in China, it really is the worst place in the world.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

travisray2004 posted:

I saw that poo poo in person once. It looks like an outbreak of syphilis as well.

The comments are pretty funny:

quote:

Most people who judge this car have NEVER seen it in person. Its the same people who judge a Porsche Panamera and don't see it enough to learn to appreciate its distinct styling. I get at least 1 compliment my GT every day. I get stopped by people to ask me questions about it.
Where I live I see Panameras a couple times a week and guess what: Their "distinct styling" is godawful poo poo.

ge.hale
Feb 1, 2006

Presto posted:

Where I live I see Panameras a couple times a week and guess what: Their "distinct styling" is godawful poo poo.

Counterpoint: It's a good looking car.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/26/2012-hyundai-veloster-first-ride-review/

Hyundai Veloster first drive on AB if you haven't seen it yet. I still haven't made up my mind on the looks of the thing. It's kind of fugly.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

SouthLAnd posted:

Hyundai Veloster first drive on AB if you haven't seen it yet. I still haven't made up my mind on the looks of the thing. It's kind of fugly.
I like it but it seems like it will be hard to keep that hatch from opening too far if you're in a parking garage with a low ceiling.

Why don't they make double hinged hatches that fold up and then forward onto the roof of the car?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

SouthLAnd posted:

Like they said, it's not a first drive if you're not doing the driving. I think Hyundai is going about this all wrong. They should be trying to make a splash like Ford with the Fiesta and Focus.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
208hp in the turbo Veloster is going to be a *hoot.*

Looks like that little third door's window rolls down too, doesn't it? (That's the thing that prevents me from buying a two door - can't deny the dogs their window.)

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

208hp in the turbo Veloster is going to be a *hoot.*

Looks like that little third door's window rolls down too, doesn't it? (That's the thing that prevents me from buying a two door - can't deny the dogs their window.)

Looks to be a window switch in the back door, so I'm assuming yes.

I guess it would be neat to have a car with a dedicated doggy door.

Jork Juggler
May 22, 2007

travisray2004 posted:

I remember reading a while back the the upcoming A4 would be getting smaller but I completely agree. I was actually talking to a friend about this a while back, there's no reason to have a complete range from a1-a9 (which is supposedly coming). On top of that the Q3 is coming and a most likely a Q1 to compete with the X1. The Germans are losing focus in my opinion.

Audi is not making the A4 smaller, they are making an A3 sedan. It is looks to be about the size of a late 90's A4, based on its concept:

Yeah, they might have a few too many cars in their lineup. At least they are less ugly than equivalent BMWs.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

el topo posted:

I don't know why you're complaining about this now, the Audi range has looked the same since the A4/A8 came out in 94. I guess the C5 A6 looked a little different but subsequent models have gone more inline with the others.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

The 5 GT is an entirely different thing. I heard it was essentially made for the Chinese chauffeur market - a 5 series in the front and a 7 series in the back, with reclining and adjustable rear seats. I saw them everywhere in China, it really is the worst place in the world.

I saw someone (possibly you) post in another thread that you can get a LWB A4 in China and it is/was rather popular.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Jork Juggler posted:

Audi is not making the A4 smaller, they are making an A3 sedan. It is looks to be about the size of a late 90's A4, based on its concept:

Yeah, they might have a few too many cars in their lineup. At least they are less ugly than equivalent BMWs.

My god that color is wonderful.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

dissss posted:

I saw someone (possibly you) post in another thread that you can get a LWB A4 in China and it is/was rather popular.

Yep, was me. The SWB versions of the A4 and A6 are actually not officially sold there at all.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

dissss posted:

That was probably me :) The A6L with the 2.0T engine seemed fairly popular at least in cities when I visited in 07. Perfect car for Shanghai where traffic rarely moves at more than 30mph anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

angryhampster posted:

I agree, that's the finest shade of red I've ever seen.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

angryhampster posted:

If it was on a convertible, I may consider renouncing my Swedish Cult Religious ties.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I just cannot get into Audis. They all seem terribly bland. But then I guess that's what their market wants.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I just cannot get into Audis. They all seem terribly bland. But then I guess that's what their market wants.

I thought I was the only one.

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

SouthLAnd posted:

Is it just me or are those headlights HUGE? They've got the same surface area as the wheel it looks like. Hate to have to replace one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

dissss posted:

I don't know why you're complaining about this now, the Audi range has looked the same since the A4/A8 came out in 94. I guess the C5 A6 looked a little different but subsequent models have gone more inline with the others.

Huh? A1, (A2 discontinued), A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, plus S versions, estates, and cabrios, Q5, Q7, TT, R8... that's a lot more than they had in '94..