Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Literally every song on the newest Kid Rock Album sounds like You and I with male vocals. Go and listen to it and tell me otherwise. I don't really care if you want to call it Polka it's complete garbage.

I hate to admit I have listened to that Kid Rock album but it was against my free will (co-worker likes poo poo music)

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'll just say we agree to disagree and end this argument if the only alternative is listening to a Kid Rock album to keep it going. In fact, if that's the only alternative let's just say you win, but you're still wrong because You And I is loving awesome :colbert:

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

Literally every song on the newest Kid Rock Album sounds like You and I with male vocals. Go and listen to it and tell me otherwise. I don't really care if you want to call it Polka it's complete garbage.

I hate to admit I have listened to that Kid Rock album but it was against my free will (co-worker likes poo poo music)

The lyrics alone are on par with a modern country song. Even the musical composition is set up for those twangy interludes and overproduction.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

trigger9631 posted:

Yeah, one of the most awkward interviews I've seen on Letterman. They had no chemistry and she said so little that he couldn't get any sort of conversation going. She didn't look like she was having much fun.

Here's the video if you guys want to watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u0zrm7YXbU

Maximusi posted:

Yeah she kinda gave one worded answers.

Look on youtube for her other talk show interviews (Johnathan Ross, for example). She's similarly aloof in a lot of them, which makes sense, because outside of a few moments in her concerts (maybe), Lady Gaga does not open up or try to connect with the public. She performs, and she doesn't want anyone to know anything about her outside of her performances.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

What was awkward about it? Seemed like a normal interview. Lady Gaga appeared to be quite chillin'.

I thought it was quite fun, nothing awkward about it. GaGa usually does her interviews like this. I liked Letterman's "why stop" and the paper eating. I suppose she could have been a bit disappointed though, she didn't really get to talk about the album

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I'm going to have to agree with Yoü and I having a glam feel, not a country feel. The Queen comparison is apt, and not just because of the drum beat or the solo ending ... the whole thing kinda reminded me of I Want To Break Free, which is coincidentally one of my favorite Queen songs and probably why I like Yoü and I so much.

Just my two cents, though, and definitely nothing worth listening to Kid Rock over. :)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I guess the reason I don't really like this new album is because it sounds so derivative. Like every song has something where I go "I know I've heard this somewhere else before"

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
I started to get worried in the middle of the album (Special Edition). The tracks from Black Jesus to Heavy Metal Lover sound really alike to me. Pretty good, but all very similar. That said, the last few tracks and the first few are really great.

Government Hooker, Americano, Electric Chapel and You and I are my particular favourites. Electric Chapel, aside from the kickin' guitar intro, really remind me of Kylie when it's starting out. The feeling drops off as the song progresses, but in that first verse I can really hear it. As for You and I, after falling in love with the live version I was kind of disappointed in the slightly over-produced version on the album, but it's grown on me a lot after a few listen. That said, I do think we missed out with there being no slower, piano-y track like Speechless.

In non-BTW news, I got The Remix album not too long ago and the beatbox/electric piano version of Eh, Eh actually made me like the song.

N3RDSTER fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 25, 2011

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I really like Bad Kids. Not so much Americano or Government Hooker.

Loveknot
Sep 17, 2007
Down the ribbon of moonlight
I bought the special edition right away; despite the assurances of many a goon that it was not worth it. I figured I might as well, since it was like a buck more for the 2 CD set at Best Buy. Also, I liked the Sheisse DJ White Shadow Mugler remix when it played at the fashion show, and I was eager to hear it in better quality.

Also, I side with the goons who like "Marry the Night". It makes me think of Whitney Houston before the crack.

Altogether, my favorite songs are, hands down, "Heavy Metal Lover" and "Bloody Mary". I absolutely love the warped GAAAGAAA chants in the latter. They make me think of medieval Gregorian monks chanting to ward off the Black Death, or plague doctors ringing bells. It just sounds very brooding and ominous. These are closely followed by "Government Hooker", although I've noticed the reception of that track is pretty equally split on SA.

Overall, the album exceeded my expectations. Except for "Fashion of His Love". Most goons hate it, and I am part of that majority. The lyrics just made me cringe, but because basically every other track was good, I can overlook it.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
I thought it was a pretty good interview. I'm sure he doesn't mind if his guests are terse if they're also funny, which she was.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I like Government Hooker but I hate the intro.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Anyone feel the new album is just... kinda boring? I don't think it's terrible, I'd definitely have it running in the background, but only a few songs stand out for me. And I loved 90% of the songs from The Fame/Monster.

Only Government Hooker and Fashion of His Love really stood out to me on my first playthrough. Usually, I only have to listen to a song once before I decide I like it or not, which was the case with TF/M.

And what's with all the "inspirational"-ish songs?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gandlethorpe posted:

Gaga is pretty inspirational oriented person, if you haven't noticed. She is all about "being yourself" and "you can do anything you set your mind to." Hell, she even said good things about that Amanda Black girl, or whatever name is. You know, that Friday song.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I can take a few inspirational songs, but it seems like they make up a good third of the album. They're all a bit too identical sounding for me. One "Born This Way" is good enough, I don't need four more.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I'm a big fan of the album but I know what you mean. The good news is she made an entire album where she just let all of this out. I really doubt she's going to make another album like this again. At least, not to the degree this is. I mean it's called Born This Way.

Still, there's a lot of songs I can't get enough of. Heavy Mental Lover has been stuck in my head since the album came out.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

somnambulist posted:

Still, there's a lot of songs I can't get enough of. Heavy Mental Lover has been stuck in my head since the album came out.
It's Metal, not Mental. Sorry, that's been bugging me a bit. :)
Did anyone else notice it sounds like she's saying "Have you met a lover?", especially in the intro.

Overall, I'm really happy with the album, especially since the singles somewhat waned my hopes. The only track I seem to usually skip is "Hair", but it's not a bad song either. I really, really love the darker/heavier songs.
e: The second half of "The Queen" owns hard.
Am I the only one that prefers that Mugler remix version (that was about 4 minutes long) of "Scheiße" that was floating around a while ago to the original/9 minute remix?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ5XgL_ChjU
:swoon:

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 26, 2011

pettifogged
Nov 5, 2008

Loveknot posted:

Altogether, my favorite songs are, hands down, "Heavy Metal Lover" and "Bloody Mary". I absolutely love the warped GAAAGAAA chants in the latter. They make me think of medieval Gregorian monks chanting to ward off the Black Death, or plague doctors ringing bells. It just sounds very brooding and ominous. These are closely followed by "Government Hooker", although I've noticed the reception of that track is pretty equally split on SA.

I hope she does Bloody Mary as a single/video, and goes all out like, Elizabethan-space-queen opulent insanity. (If that makes any sense). I can just imagine it. :allears:

realqueenbetty
Nov 2, 2005

And then swing your swift sword, sister
Swing your swift sword now
Swing your swift sword, sister, sister
Swing your swift sword now
I thought she already did that for Alejandro and Born This Way.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate

gandlethorpe posted:

Anyone feel the new album is just... kinda boring? I don't think it's terrible, I'd definitely have it running in the background, but only a few songs stand out for me. And I loved 90% of the songs from The Fame/Monster.

Only Government Hooker and Fashion of His Love really stood out to me on my first playthrough. Usually, I only have to listen to a song once before I decide I like it or not, which was the case with TF/M.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of it either. I think it's mostly what someone else said, that she's getting too big of an ego and thinks her songs are perfect when they're not. Her best songs out of the album are the uninspirational ish ones (Gov't, Electric Chapel, Schiebe, etc). She needs to stick to what she knows (Bad Romance, songs about bad bfs and fame) were more interesting than all the 'be yourself!' And the constant references to Jesus. Although Judas is pretty terrible.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Tracks 7-10 on the bonus tracks version is block of wicked sexy music. I can't stop listening to it.

Heavy Metal Lover is pretty dope too.

Instantoxen
Apr 22, 2006
This thread has devolved into "I know how to be Gaga better than Gaga does".

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Instantoxen posted:

This thread has devolved into "I know how to be Gaga better than Gaga does".

see how self empowering her songs are

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I'm fine with "I don't like the album", but to say she should stick to writing songs about bad bfs and fame is just dumb, I'm sorry. Maybe she wasn't successful in your opinion but artists need to grow.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I think the album has a pretty good mix of people liking different songs, and it seems to fall into two camps. It's not a bad strategy. If nothing else, it's danceable as all hell and Pride 2011 is pretty much going to be the year of Gaga.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
It's almost like how Weezer fans are split into categories of liking Blue and Pinkerton OR Green and Maladroit.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I think it's usually because (or at least for me?) people like bands because they make a specific sound, so when they start making different sounds they don't like them or at least those songs as much because it's not what they want.

I guess?

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.

Look Under The Rock posted:

It's almost like how Weezer fans are split into categories of liking Blue and Pinkerton OR Green and Maladroit.

There are Weezer fans that don't like Blue and Pinkerton? :confused:

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

sonicice posted:

There are Weezer fans that don't like Blue and Pinkerton? :confused:

I know, it's crazy.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I think it's usually because (or at least for me?) people like bands because they make a specific sound, so when they start making different sounds they don't like them or at least those songs as much because it's not what they want.

I guess?

I like variety more than anything else. v:shobon:v

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate

somnambulist posted:

I'm fine with "I don't like the album", but to say she should stick to writing songs about bad bfs and fame is just dumb, I'm sorry. Maybe she wasn't successful in your opinion but artists need to grow.

I really don't care if a song is shallow or not. But I think when you go from writing songs about boyfriends and glitter to songs about immigration and gay rights and whatnot...I don't know. She's just trying too hard. Just stick to what you know.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jin Wicked posted:

I like variety more than anything else. v:shobon:v

Sure, but there is so many bands, so many different artists that it's really easy to listen to an artist for a specific sound. Then your favorite artist changes their stuff around (like between the buried and me's Alaska to Colors and The Great Misdirect, though maybe those examples are lost on you) and it's like, or at least to me like such a change that illicits disgust and almost a betrayal to the fans. Like, "this isn't what I want to listen to! If I wanted X I'd listen to X! If I wanted to listen to X I'd listen to Band Y!"

I'm not saying that this is the change with Lady Gaga, but rather explaining my point of view with relation to listening to an artist for a style or a theme or any similar synonym you would prefer compared to listening to an artist for other reasons.

But like I said, it's probably just me :shobon:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 27, 2011

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Maximusi posted:

I really don't care if a song is shallow or not. But I think when you go from writing songs about boyfriends and glitter to songs about immigration and gay rights and whatnot...I don't know. She's just trying too hard. Just stick to what you know.

I'm pretty sure she knows about gay rights. What the hell is this. Artists can never sing about anything else other than what they originally started with?
Lady Gaga has always been about empowerment and self-identity and love from day one. This isn't some weird turn she just took. This is coming from a non-fan.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

gandlethorpe posted:

I'm with you, and I can't really put my finger on it. It's a good album in a technical sense, but I'm starting to feel like it really doesn't have any staying power. There are some standout songs (I really love Edge of Glory) but for the most part the songs just feel... "good enough." Like I said, I'm with you 100% that this is background music for me, when the other two albums were just outstanding.

Also, swear to god, this isn't coming out of general Gaga backlash. I like the chick, I'm a big fan, but this album could've been a lot better and I'm already somehow tired of it.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Maximusi posted:

You make it seem like she has to take a class on compassion or her songs lose merit. I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding you.

e. This being my first post in this thread, I guess I should say that I was disappointed in the album until I listened to it two more times and now there isn't a single track on it that I don't like at least a bit. Government Hooker is my favorite so far, and I like the country version of Born This Way better than the original, I think. My least favorite track was You and I, because I couldn't help but imagine the vocals over some "country rock" backing track, and I hate that sort of stuff. But that thought just sort of went away and now I like that track, too. Gaga :3:

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 27, 2011

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Sure, but there is so many bands, so many different artists that it's really easy to listen to an artist for a specific sound. Then your favorite artist changes their stuff around (like between the buried and me's Alaska to Colors and The Great Misdirect, though maybe those examples are lost on you) and it's like, or at least to me like such a change that illicits disgust and almost a betrayal to the fans. Like, "this isn't what I want to listen to! If I wanted X I'd listen to X! If I wanted to listen to X I'd listen to Band Y!"

You may have a point. I am over thirty and have never heard those words in that order before.

I rarely seek out new music, so when I happen across an artist I like, I appreciate experimentation and growth.

Typecasting an artist into a specific sound and phrases like betrayal to the fans make me uncomfortable.

Musicians are people, not music dispensers. They age and change just like everyone else.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jin Wicked posted:

You may have a point. I am over thirty and have never heard those words in that order before.

I rarely seek out new music, so when I happen across an artist I like, I appreciate experimentation and growth.

Typecasting an artist into a specific sound and phrases like betrayal to the fans make me uncomfortable.

Musicians are people, not music dispensers. They age and change just like everyone else.

Yes, I realize that. I just get rather frustrated I guess about these sort of things.

Like, to make a hyperbole, say your favorite thing is Pop and you love Britney Spears. All of a sudden, Spears goes, "gently caress this poo poo, I'm bored of pop, I want to make hardcore". You sort of like hardcore but when you put that BS cd in, you don't want to listen to hardcore, you want to listen to pop. Then all of a sudden all she does is make this hardcore crap instead of the pop you loved Britney for. Sure, it's her life she can do whatever she wants with it, but if I wanted to listen to hardcore I'd listen to Converge or Botch or something.

If I had my way, if you get bored of your artwork, just stop while you're ahead.

But now I'm just ranting about a peeve of mine.

As for typecasting an artist into a specific sound or style, I find it's pretty easy and makes sense. When you go "man I like Britney Spears" or "man I like The Beatles" or "man, I like Blink 182" everyone knows exactly what these things sound like. They know what to expect, they know if they listen to something like that they're going to like it. But then you have an artist/band changing tracks like, mid lifestyle or towards the end of their game and, to me it's like, what are you doing? If you're going to change up this much, just release it under a side creation and let the old thing die if that's your interest now.

Anyways I'm getting rather ranty and off track here.

Somewhat similar to this whole discussion, what's up with Gaga's lyrics going "Jesus is the new black" and I'm curious to how that relates to her new album with what seems like this huge promotion of Jesus I never noticed in her earlier works?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

As for typecasting an artist into a specific sound or style, I find it's pretty easy and makes sense. When you go "man I like Britney Spears" or "man I like The Beatles" or "man, I like Blink 182" everyone knows exactly what these things sound like. They know what to expect, they know if they listen to something like that they're going to like it. But then you have an artist/band changing tracks like, mid lifestyle or towards the end of their game and, to me it's like, what are you doing?

Blink 182 isn't the best example, they did that exact thing with their self-titled/untitled album.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lord Krangdar posted:

Blink 182 isn't the best example, they did that exact thing with their self-titled/untitled album.

Perhaps that wasn't the best example I could do. I was trying to think of a popular band with a specific style at 2:30am and well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

GreenBuckanneer posted:

"man I like The Beatles" everyone knows exactly what these things sound like. They know what to expect, they know if they listen to something like that they're going to like it.

You're kidding me right? In fact, the beatles are the perfect example of why artists NEED to grow. The difference between "I want to hold your hand" and "Elenor Rigby" is tremendous. Yes, I want to hold your hand is a good catchy song, but Elenor Rigby, Hey Jude, etc. are so much better it's not even funny.

edit: I'm still in shock by what you just said. o_o

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 27, 2011

• Locked thread