Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If I had my way, if you get bored of your artwork, just stop while you're ahead.

This is a horrible thing to say and I do not think I can calmly participate in this conversation anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
While I am starting to like some songs a bit more, I still stand by my original comments. One way to put it that I thought of was this: imagine if she had put five or so Speechlesses on The Fame/Monster. I think that would've detracted from it. But have just one, and all of a sudden it gives her credibility as an artist. At least, for me, that's what happened. Hearing Speechless for the first time (and later on, her "Stefani Germanotta" stuff) made me feel like it was okay to love this dance-pop chick.

With the new album, it's like the other way around. I feel left wanting more dancy, poppy songs. Government Hooker is the only one of the "poppy" songs that captures the feeling of the last album, while having it's own memorable sound.

And to whoever said they liked variety, hell yes. I love The Fame+Monster because of how cross-genre the songs are.

You have your dance anthems, like Poker Face and the other singles. A bit of hip hop in Paper Gangsta and Starstruck. "In your face" songs like The Fame, Money Honey, and Beautful, Dirty, Rich. Kinda-sweet pop songs like Eh, Eh and Summerboy. Speechless is like an 80s powerballad, and Teeth is... something I can't quite put my finger on but it reminds me of big band music. Etc, etc.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

somnambulist posted:

You're kidding me right? In fact, the beatles are the perfect example of why artists NEED to grow. The difference between "I want to hold your hand" and "Elenor Rigby" is tremendous. Yes, I want to hold your hand is a good catchy song, but Elenor Rigby, Hey Jude, etc. are so much better it's not even funny.

edit: I'm still in shock by what you just said. o_o

Yeah no kidding. I was going to respond to that as well. The Beatles are the one band I would pick to show the biggest evolution a band can make.
What, pray tell, do the Beatles sound like? Pick a sound that tries to encapsulate all their albums and eras.
Totally ridiculous.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

"man I like The Beatles" ... everyone knows exactly what these things sound like.

Not to pick on you, but this is one of the worst examples you could have chosen. I mean, in the time it took Lady Gaga to go from The Fame to Born This Way, The Beatles had gone from Please Please Me to Revolver, and over the duration of their relatively short existence they covered an obscene amount of ground.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

stratdax posted:

What, pray tell, do the Beatles sound like? Pick a sound that tries to encapsulate all their albums and eras.

Er, I don't really know how to explain it actually. The Beatles sound like The Beatles.

v:smith:v

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Er, I don't really know how to explain it actually. The Beatles sound like The Beatles.

v:smith:v

So we're including Please Please Me, Yesterday, Tomorrow Never Knows, Revolution 9, and Come Together in this, right?

I mean, Lady Gaga's sound is a hell of a lot less varied than The Beatles so why couldn't someone just reply with "and Lady Gaga sounds like Lady Gaga"?

This is silly.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

sethsez posted:

So we're including Please Please Me, Yesterday, Tomorrow Never Knows, Revolution 9, and Come Together in this, right?

I mean, Lady Gaga's sound is a hell of a lot less varied than The Beatles so why couldn't someone just reply with "and Lady Gaga sounds like Lady Gaga"?

This is silly.

But apparently Lady Gaga changed her sound (from pop to... pop) so that's a betrayal against the fans, man. See, the Beatles sounded the same all throughout their career. They sounded like the Beatles. DUH!

Edit: Green Buckanneer, you dumb.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

I think he gets it, you doofuses.

gandlethorpe has it right, too many Speechlesses would've made a boring and samey record, and I feel like Born This Way is a kinda boring and samey record. All of the songs sound way too similar to each other in that they're not as daring, varied or exciting as The Fame stuff, which is odd because BTW is much more ambitious than The Fame stuff.

I dunno. Obviously Hair doesn't sound the same as Americano, but they feel similar in impact to me regardless.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So in 3 years Gaga went from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Abk1jAONjw
to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sNi9nIXxVo, which in the grand scheme of things is not that big of a difference.

In 3 years the Beatles went from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNnaxGFO18o
to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQal-lJrSLI

So, yeah.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

stratdax posted:

But apparently Lady Gaga changed her sound (from pop to... pop) so that's a betrayal against the fans, man. See, the Beatles sounded the same all throughout their career. They sounded like the Beatles. DUH!

Edit: Green Buckanneer, you dumb.

I said earlier I wasn't specifically talking about Gaga, also

Dark Weasel posted:

I think he gets it, you doofuses.

The Beatles went from Rock to experiemental? :wtc: am I listening to

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 27, 2011

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The Beatles went from Rock to experiemental? :wtc: am I listening to

This is why it's probably best to not use The Beatles as an example of a band maintaining a sound throughout their career. This is the only song of this sort they ever did, but they have a shitload of sounds that they only did once or twice.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I don't know if this has been posted before but haha

http://www.thelonelyisland.com/video/jorm-dances-lady-gaga

sethsez posted:

This is why it's probably best to not use The Beatles as an example of a band maintaining a sound throughout their career. This is the only song of this sort they ever did, but they have a shitload of sounds that they only did once or twice.

Yeah I was not aware of that kind of stuff they did at all.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

somnambulist posted:

You're kidding me right? In fact, the beatles are the perfect example of why artists NEED to grow. The difference between "I want to hold your hand" and "Elenor Rigby" is tremendous. Yes, I want to hold your hand is a good catchy song, but Elenor Rigby, Hey Jude, etc. are so much better it's not even funny.

edit: I'm still in shock by what you just said. o_o

Yeah, the Beatles are possibly the biggest example of a band whose sound successfully changed over the course of their career. I mean we're talking about a band that went from suits and bowl cuts to full-on acid hippie in the course of about a decade and managed to still be superstars the whole time.

Edit: also, you seem to be saying that if an artist wants to ever change what they do, they should... stop making art? I mean, I can sort of understand if you said they should use a different name or whatever, but "quit while they're ahead?"

Chitin fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 27, 2011

ohthatdan
Jan 10, 2007

...Soldering Iron...
The Good Morning America show was pretty good live. For some reason, Gaga cut out the "no matter gay, straight, or bi" section of Born This Way. Wonder if the program forced her to for ridiculous reasons, since it's only about 10 seconds long, making me doubt it was a time issue.

Set was Bad Romance, Edge of Glory, Judas, Born This Way, Hair (Gaga on piano). Unfortunately she didn't do any songs after the program ended.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ohthatdan posted:

The Good Morning America show was pretty good live. For some reason, Gaga cut out the "no matter gay, straight, or bi" section of Born This Way. Wonder if the program forced her to for ridiculous reasons, since it's only about 10 seconds long, making me doubt it was a time issue.

I'd be pretty disappointed in her if she agreed to censor those lines of Born This Way from a TV performance.

ohthatdan
Jan 10, 2007

...Soldering Iron...

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I'd be pretty disappointed in her if she agreed to censor those lines of Born This Way from a TV performance.

I completely agree. It was weird because she still sang the "no matter black, white, or beige" part. The people around me looked confused too because we all thought we sang the wrong line.

ohthatdan fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 27, 2011

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Here's a link to the MTV special on Gaga, "Inside the Outside". Well, it's actually a long interview about her past. Pretty good and interesting.

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...
I think it's funny how afraid everyone was that this album was going to suck based on the singles and album art, etc. Oh, goons.
Fortunately, it's amazing. Also Government Hooker sounds like it could be a KMFDM collaboration. Her bodyguard (the guy on backing vocals) sounds like Käpt'n K.

Mediant fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 27, 2011

TotallyUnoriginal
Oct 15, 2004

Damnit bob

Mediant posted:

I think it's funny how afraid everyone was that this album was going to suck based on the singles and album art, etc. Oh, goons.
Fortunately, it's amazing.

I was a bit worried after Born This Way was the first single released to be honest, wasn't too big on that song. Then Judas came out and any doubts I had were blown away.

HumanCropcircle
Sep 26, 2005

Mediant posted:

Fortunately, it's amazing. Also Government Hooker sounds like it could be a KMFDM collaboration. Her bodyguard (the guy on backing vocals) sounds like Käpt'n K.

I said the same thing about Government Hooker to my girlfriend! God drat it feels good to know I'm not alone.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Baby, you were BORN THIS WAY.

:nws: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JD9z44-LLE :nws:

Burn Zone fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 27, 2011

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

TotallyUnoriginal posted:

I was a bit worried after Born This Way was the first single released to be honest, wasn't too big on that song. Then Judas came out and any doubts I had were blown away.

For me it was the opposite, Born This Way - well alright, pretty catchy. Judas - holy poo poo, this is bad. Then Edge of Glory came and it was all good again.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Mediant posted:

Pshh, it's clearly Patrick Stewart.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

As for typecasting an artist into a specific sound or style, I find it's pretty easy and makes sense. When you go "man I like Britney Spears" or "man I like The Beatles" or "man, I like Blink 182" everyone knows exactly what these things sound like. They know what to expect, they know if they listen to something like that they're going to like it. But then you have an artist/band changing tracks like, mid lifestyle or towards the end of their game and, to me it's like, what are you doing? If you're going to change up this much, just release it under a side creation and let the old thing die if that's your interest now.

The Beatles are not a good example. Listen to "Please Please Me" and then listen to "Rubber Soul." Two albums with completely different sounds. If one had lived under a rock and didn't know who the Beatles were and then listened to both albums, he or she would never realize it is the same group.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Skilleddk posted:

For me it was the opposite, Born This Way - well alright, pretty catchy. Judas - holy poo poo, this is bad.

This is quite an odd opinion.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm sick of Born This Way now and I like Judas more.

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010
I liked Judas at first, but I got tired of the song pretty quickly, even though the song was rarely played on the radio.
On the other hand, I didn't really like Born This Way at first, but it really grew on me. Also, the remix of it on the international versions of the album is pretty good.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
She just moved to right near where I live -- mixed feelings. (actually I guess she's lived here for awhile)

Judas was good for the first 40 seconds, then I realized that was the whole song.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I'll get you next time Gadget - next time!

semicolonsrock posted:

She just moved to right near where I live -- mixed feelings. (actually I guess she's lived here for awhile)

Judas was good for the first 40 seconds, then I realized that was the whole song.

I'm not trying to be creepy, I just want a general idea - somewhere in New York or what? And how did you find out?

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
I could listen to Born This Way 40 times in a row. Judas sounds like Bad Romance and I've already heard that song from her. Granted Judas has grown on me, but I didn't see anything special in it.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

semicolonsrock posted:

Yeah that's why I didn't like Judas at all. It's GaGa talking for a while, then a half-assed chorus, and repeat the same for 3 minutes.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Doctor Claw posted:

I'm not trying to be creepy, I just want a general idea - somewhere in New York or what? And how did you find out?

Chappaquiddick -- it's a little island off Massachusetts populated mostly by tourists during the summer and no one but my family in the winter. There were some news stories on it awhile back.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

:3: Stephen Fry Interviews Lady Gaga :3:

Definitely a great read if only for his analysis of her, but the pictures are also awesome.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I love Judas, while I don't find it as good a song as Bad Romance and I didn't really like it the first time or two I listened, it's really grown on me and I absolutely adore it now.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
My favourite part of the album, well I guess it's a majority chunk, is Schiebe to The Queen. I'm not so much a fan of the front end tracks but that middle section is sooooo good, I think it has what Gaga does best, which is really catchy, good sounding music that somehow avoids being cheesy.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

The more I listen to this album, the more I like the songs I didn't like the first few times around - The Edge of Glory, the studio version of Yoü and I (loved the live piano version she did a while ago) and especially Hair.
And I'm really glad that this is happening, although the byproduct of this is that every single song is stuck in my head.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Flayer posted:

My favourite part of the album, well I guess it's a majority chunk, is Schiebe to The Queen. I'm not so much a fan of the front end tracks but that middle section is sooooo good, I think it has what Gaga does best, which is really catchy, good sounding music that somehow avoids being cheesy.

I love the whole album, but the chunk from Hair to... well the end of the album is really amazing.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

My favourite track on the whole album is Hair, which is weird, cause I was kinda iffy on it first. But holy poo poo I could have that blasting on repeat all day and die happy, it's just so awesome!

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...
I haven't seen many comments on Bloody Mary or Marry the Night. They're my personal favorites on the album. One of my favorite parts about Marry the Night is how it starts off really meh and then turns awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Mediant posted:

I also thought that.

• Locked thread