Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Driving is expotentially better using a controller (I use a 360 controller) over WASD.

Also, are you using any mods at all? They really open the game up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

quote:

I just started Just Cause 2 and am having a similar problem. It's fun as hell but the missions are starting to get repetitive, and that's detracting a bit from it. I haven't gotten far enough into the story to comment on it specifically though. It also feels like driving was really designed for a controller, I never feel like I have any control over my speed with WASD.

You control your speed with the grapple essentially. You should be doing very little movement on your own without it. Unfortunately the story stuff forces you to drive or makes you accompany an NPC doing so. The driving is clunky and not very enjoyable other than the novelty of stunt jumping. There are some mods that fix it up a bit but I had kind of burnt out on attaching civilians to objects with the grapple by then and petered out.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

SwissCM posted:

If you're driving cars then you're not playing the game properly.

The only thing cars are for in JC2 is crashing into things to make them explode while you parachute out and unload your dual smgs into a guy in a jeep so you can jack it and continue the cycle :madmax:

JC2's story wasn't great but the setpieces were fun (WWII island, Mount Rushmore parody of the dictator, fighting the sub, and fighting on the nukes), and just loving around blowing up bases and doing all kinds of wacky poo poo more than made up for it.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
My favorite thing that ever happened in JC2 was when I was running away from helicopters on a motorcycle approaching one of those desert towns. There was a jeep firing at me so I aimed my motorcycle straight for the jeep and parachuted off at the last minute, blowing up the jeep. While still the air I grappled to the bottom of one of the helicopters. While hanging off a flying helicopter I headshotted the pilot of the other one and sent the heli careening into a canyon. The heli I was grappled to flew around madly trying to get me off I guess. I moved to the front of the helicopter shot the two guys inside and then jumped off and grappled over to the water tower so I could watch the heli crash. Of course it crashed right into the water tower. The explosion and water threw me off the tower. I collided face first with the roof of the house next to me and bounced off that into the middle of the road where I got hit by a car. After all of this, Rico stands up and goes "Phew."

Then I take out my dual revolvers and keep going.

This is how you play Just Cause 2. It's a playground with a lame story bolted on. The story is still worth playing through because as Mr.Hotkeys said, the setpieces are really well done.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Idunn posted:

On mice: I had a Steelseries Ikari and keyframe is right, it's the most comfortable mouse ever.

Keyframe is wrong, this is the most comfortable mouse ever.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Cyborg rat is hilarious, I had to get one despite my hatred of ostentatious-looking gaming gear.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Node posted:

Even greater was the fact that even if you lost the race, you could still destroy the other cars and win.

Something that I'd like to see implemented in Dirt 3.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
Yeah, I plan to get a wired 360 controller so I can play with it, and I imagine that'll help, but for now I'm stuck with WASD. I haven't used any mods yet, but then I'm like 4-5 hours into the game (hard to tell with Steam overlay being buggy when I was playing it), I haven't really had time to decide what I really want to mod, exactly, and I wouldn't know what I wanted to get even if I did (yes, I saw the JC2 thread). I don't usually mod my games much unless they're buggy or ugly so I'm kind of clueless as to what I'd want to get.

And yes, stealing some poor shmuck's bike and then driving at high speeds until you need to turn, realising you can't make it, bailing, and watching everything blow up is stupid fun. I've spent a good amount of time just loving around.

HotCanadianChick posted:

I saw one of those once and every time I hear people say they're comfortable, I have to ask, "how?" They just look so... not comfortable. At all. If I could try one I would, but I don't know if I'd want to buy one if I'm afraid I'd hate it.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

HotCanadianChick posted:

It's the truth. I have one and while it looks absolutely garish, you can change the width, depth, and height of the mouse on the fly and customization like that just gets me all rock hard. It's also stupid comfortable, too bad I can't say the same for my mousepad.

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

I'm very curious about the cyborg rat. I read some complaints about the lens and some clicking issues. Any truth to that or just aspergers?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The only issue I've had was that the first one had a broken lateral scroll wheel, I exchanged it at the store, and it's been fine since then.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

I had an intermittent issue where the DPI setting kept dropping to the middle setting but after I dusted hardcore that seems to have gone away.

seriously!
Jun 27, 2010

by angerbeet
My $160 24 inch Acer monitor arrived Monday. Going from the 16 inch CRT I've had since forever, this thing is astounding!

League of Legends looks so gorgeous and vivid, and I find that I can play Bad Company 2 at 1920X1080 with an acceptable frame rate. My system is a quad-core with a 512mb ati 5770.

Even Torchlight has become 10x more pretty.

The only problem is older games that weren't designed for this sort of monitor, like Civilization 3. I had to go through some rigmarole to get Civ 3 to at least display at the top right corner at the resolution at 1024x728, and when I play the original Deus Ex in windowed mode, the game is dark as hell.

Oh well, I still adore this thing. :)

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

seriously! posted:

The only problem is older games that weren't designed for this sort of monitor, like Civilization 3. I had to go through some rigmarole to get Civ 3 to at least display at the top right corner at the resolution at 1024x728, and when I play the original Deus Ex in windowed mode, the game is dark as hell.

Oh well, I still adore this thing. :)

To get those old games running in proper widescreen, I find that the Widescreen Gaming Forum Wiki is an excellent resource.

For Deus Ex, running custom resolutions is a relatively simple .ini tweak. Same with Civ 3.

Maybe I should add a, "Making your old games look prettier" section to the OP...

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
For the RAT mice, is it possible to change the 'on the fly DPI switch' to just be programmed to do something else? Same with the "precision aim" button? Or are they straight up hard-coded to be those two useless* features?

I still love my Logitech MX518, but ever since I found out it has some error correction on the hardware side that makes you do straight lines vertically and horizontally, I have constantly been on the lookout for the next thing.

*I never, ever want to change sensitivity and feel doing so removes the ability for muscle memory to start helping you out with twitch movement.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Rekkit posted:

I'm very curious about the cyborg rat. I read some complaints about the lens and some clicking issues. Any truth to that or just aspergers?

I'm also curious. Which RAT mouse is the best for the money? The cheapest one doesn't seem that great, and the most expensive one is a bit much. Is there a "happy middleground" model? :D

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I guess this is the right thread for this maybe...

I like my xbox 360, but I also like gaming on my PC so I bought a cheap two input VGA switchbox and have VGA cables going from my PC and 360 into that, and then one cable from the switchbox into my monitor.

However, when I boot my PC with the switch box plugged in it doesn't recognise the monitor properly and won't start in 1680x1050 or even allow me to choose that resolution unless I unplug the switchbox entirely and plug my pc straight into my monitor. If I do that, I can then unplug the pc from monitor and put the switch box back into the equation and everything works fine switching between console and PC... until I next reboot.

Is there any way around this or do I have to boot up with monitor plugged straight into PC, then change to using the switch box after booting up?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Do you have an older XBox and monitor/video card? Can you not use HDMI(for Xbox) and DVI(for PC) to hook both up at the same time?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Essobie posted:

For the RAT mice, is it possible to change the 'on the fly DPI switch' to just be programmed to do something else? Same with the "precision aim" button? Or are they straight up hard-coded to be those two useless* features?

I still love my Logitech MX518, but ever since I found out it has some error correction on the hardware side that makes you do straight lines vertically and horizontally, I have constantly been on the lookout for the next thing.

*I never, ever want to change sensitivity and feel doing so removes the ability for muscle memory to start helping you out with twitch movement.

AFAIK those buttons are just like that. The DPI one would be nice to remap, but I actually like the red button. I'm pretty bad at FPS though so how it helps me might not work for you.

Lurchibles posted:

I'm also curious. Which RAT mouse is the best for the money? The cheapest one doesn't seem that great, and the most expensive one is a bit much. Is there a "happy middleground" model? :D

The 7 has all the poo poo and is wired, the 5 is most of the poo poo but just a slightly lower max DPI, so unless you really crave that I think the 5 is your best bet.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

VDay posted:

Do you have an older XBox and monitor/video card? Can you not use HDMI(for Xbox) and DVI(for PC) to hook both up at the same time?

My monitor has precisely one port, and it's VGA

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
I like to venture out of my box once in a while as far as games go, so to that end I've been playing a lot of Galaxy on Fire on my iPod. To my amazement, I've found that I really enjoy it. So having never played any PC space-combat sims before, where should I start? I'd prefer something that doesn't have a huge learning curve (so, not X3:TC), that's available on Steam or GoG, and that maybe has a decent story.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I like to venture out of my box once in a while as far as games go, so to that end I've been playing a lot of Galaxy on Fire on my iPod. To my amazement, I've found that I really enjoy it. So having never played any PC space-combat sims before, where should I start? I'd prefer something that doesn't have a huge learning curve (so, not X3:TC), that's available on Steam or GoG, and that maybe has a decent story.

obligatory http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/freespace_2

There's a thread here in games with all sorts of mods and add ons, including a complete graphical overhaul to bring it up to more modern standards.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Freespace 2. It pretty much starts and ends there. If you take off "no huge learning curve", try the Independence War games.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Space sims have completely fallen out of favour, like Westerns in Hollywood, but I would love to see one with next-gen graphics and I bet a bunch of people would play it. It could probably be ported to console easily, too. Like, have a big empire to blow poo poo up in, do hit and runs on huge convoys - pretty much Just Cause 2 but in space. Customize your ship and poo poo. Man, why don't they make games like that anymore?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Too niche. Tell me how you plan to fit cover shooting and zombies in there and then we'll talk.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Too niche. Tell me how you plan to fit cover shooting and zombies in there and then we'll talk.
Duct tape Mass Effect to one end of it.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

1. Press Q to take cover behind space debris.
2. Old, decommissioned space ships suddenly power themselves on and using their advanced AI, they turn upon their human creators.

Finger Sandwiches
Jul 12, 2000

Perfect for getting that last bit of food from across the table.

Essobie posted:

The DPI rocker is kind of useful if you want a higher sensitivity in games and a lower one in Windows. I have never used the snipe button and never will, but I don't think it's re-bindable. I'd love to use it as a push-to-talk button.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

This. I can't count how many times I've heard variants of the story, "I spent $300 to upgrade in advance for Game X, and then Game X sucked! What a ripoff!!"

If you're going to spend that much money to play a single game, you should really find out if that game is worth your money first.

People in other flight sim forums were waiting for Cliffs of Dover (sequel to IL-2) to come out. It was announced that it would hit shelves in August-October 2010. People went out and spend tons on their bleeding edge systems (one guy said $3k). Game wasn't released in August, or September, or October, or even 2010. US customers are supposed to be getting it July 19th's 2011. These sperglords have spend thousands on systems that I would be able to spank with an $800 system when it's finally released.

WAIT! Wait for the game to come out. Maybe it hates the Nvidia 570 that you just bought. Maybe it turns out that early model i5 isn't really up to the job.? Maybe you'll spend a few hundred dollars more than you need to. Maybe the game never gets finished and the next game you really want to play is 2 years away and your uber system is not up to the task now.

Please wait for the game to come out before building your systems specifically for that game, or at least wait to see some reviews or performance issues people are having with the hardware you were intending to buy.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Jet-Poop posted:

The DPI rocker is kind of useful if you want a higher sensitivity in games and a lower one in Windows. I have never used the snipe button and never will, but I don't think it's re-bindable. I'd love to use it as a push-to-talk button.

Okay, I never thought of using it for that, but PTT would be an awesome use for that button. While it's not rebindable in the provided software, I don't see why it wouldn't be changeable from some other approach. The provided software does let you change the actual functioning of the button, so it's not just a hard-coded approach. (Well, you can change how much it drops the DPI, not necessarily remap it, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do that.)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Homeworld is fantastic, if you haven't played that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Taffer posted:

Homeworld is fantastic, if you haven't played that.

It's also an RTS, not a space sim.

Try Freelancer. It's very easy to pick up, and the gameplay's fun if not terribly deep. It doesn't meet the "good story" criteria, but frankly none of the open-world games in the genre do. (Freespace might, but I haven't played it and I'm pretty sure it's purely mission-oriented.)

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's also an RTS, not a space sim.

Try Freelancer. It's very easy to pick up, and the gameplay's fun if not terribly deep. It doesn't meet the "good story" criteria, but frankly none of the open-world games in the genre do. (Freespace might, but I haven't played it and I'm pretty sure it's purely mission-oriented.)

It's got a better story than many in the genre, Freespace notwithstanding. Some good voice acting as well, which, if you've ever had to put up with Terran Conflict's acting, is a godsend.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

kri kri posted:

Sennheiser 555 with a desktop mic.

are these headphones really that great? I've used some steel series 3H's for eons because the quality is great for a £20 set of headphones but they aren't that comfortable and my mic just broke.

Basically I am asking if senheiser's are really worth the money, £80 for a set of headphones is a hell of a lot of money.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.
More mice questions!

what's the opinion on the G9? I'm looking at one for $55 and i'm not sure how good it is. I'm getting various comments ranging from hard to get used to to the second coming of jesus.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

arca posted:

are these headphones really that great? I've used some steel series 3H's for eons because the quality is great for a £20 set of headphones but they aren't that comfortable and my mic just broke.

Basically I am asking if senheiser's are really worth the money, £80 for a set of headphones is a hell of a lot of money.

I would says so, yeah. They are $84 here:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD555-Professional-Headphones-Channeling/dp/B0001FTVDQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1306609423&sr=8-3

Dont know about amazon UK, but I would purchase them if you can find them under $90 or so. The thing with a nice set of headphones like this is they will most likely last for 10 years. I have had lots of cheap headsets and headphones break on me over the years, so I decided to stop throwing money away on the cheap poo poo and get the 555.

ViolentQuiche
Jul 17, 2010
Did you like the style of the earlier G5/7s? If so, then it might take some getting used to. I have long fingers and the old MX518/G5/G7 style was extremely comfortable for me. I got the G9 as a gift and it took some getting used to, mostly because it wasn't as easy to rest the back of my hand on the mouse.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
Man. I really, really want the TRON branded razer gear. I'm a huge tron fan but the price for them is steep as hell :ohdear:

That and my Logitech G11 and MX518 still are trucking along nicely. I don't really have an excuse for wanting the new ones other than "they're shiny and tron branded".

Should I wait a while and try and score it on ebay or something?

I've hard Razer horror stories.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

arca posted:

Yes a thousand times over. Buy them and turn them into $150 595s.
http://youtu.be/PvQ8PzBrHXE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum
I'm a giant on this earth, fee fi fo fum
Cerebellum over-loader make your brain stem numb!
While I know a lot of goons might disagree but the A40 mix amp rocks, not so much the head phones but..

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/08/18/astro_a40_gaming_headset_mixamp_review/

Manac0r fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 28, 2011

• Locked thread