Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
edit: Awards Snipe

GreenMeat posted:

The awarding authority gets the final say, not mid-level management. It's in the regulation; why don't people get it?

Oh they definitely do get it; they don't want risk either a) recommending the downgrade and then having it end up getting approved at higher and 'losing face' or b) having the 638 go up on the OMPF and making it look like they were bastards because they denied a e4 who did a bunch of poo poo an ARCOM when a 2LT lost two weapons got one. (true story)

Remember; the 638 only goes in your OMPF if and only if it was a downgraded award. Otherwise it is only the certificate.

VVVVVVVV yeah you can bet if either myself or one of my soldiers gets a downgraded award, i'll make drat sure it gets into iPERMS.

thetechnoloser fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

thetechnoloser posted:

Remember; the 638 only goes in your OMPF if and only if it was a downgraded award. Otherwise it is only the certificate.

Oh, I know. I put some eminently deserving NCOs in for BSMs last deployment, but they were downgraded en masse by whatever staff flunky was processing awards for the 4th ID commander. I made sure the writeups got to iPERMS, and wrote them stellar NCOERs. May be a coincidence, but all of 'em made SFC first look, which doesn't happen often in my MOS.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

GreenMeat posted:

It's in the regulation; why don't people get it?

Pretty much the entire army's problem, wrapped up in a concise little sentence. From the most hosed up E-1 to the most Oblivious Four star, and everything in between. Largely excusing warrants, because I've only met one glaringly incompetent warrant, and with as many warrants as I've met, that's saying a lot.

Nillerz
Jun 24, 2008

Nillerz posted:

Why don't I eat veggies? I don't look at them as *food*, in the classical sense.
AM I POSTING ABOUT HOW WOMEN ARE STUPID, WEAK AND WORTHLESS? REMIND ME THAT I AM AN INFANTILE MANCHILD WHO REFUSES TO EAT VEGETABLES

Smoke Crack posted:

I thought only m4/16 was authorized for painting.

well that would explain the lack of guides...

mambo italiano
Apr 4, 2009

Nillerz posted:

Any good guides for ways to paint the M249?

No more then 2 skulls and crossbones. Unless proof confirmed kills.

Also no Dicks.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
...aaaand, lobby closed.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yo, anyone know where that thread or posts I think by Moker about being high on heroin in Afghanistan is? I wanna show those to someone (not cops) because they are awesome stories.

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

AB posted:

E2: Found these two, what do you think?

I wrote my own ETS award. (*sigh* Fort Eustis) I totally used one of those two citations you just posted too haha.

Also, like technoloser said I did the period covered was the time that I was under the recommending command.

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Is there such thing as a citation for CABs?

I switched over to the AF and would like to get my CAB converted to the AF version. All I have is the order and the NCO said they'll want the order with a citation/unclassified AAR. Problem is I've never seen one if one was ever written. Who would be able to find it? My old commander? My old unit? Thanks.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

FooGoo posted:

Is there such thing as a citation for CABs?

I switched over to the AF and would like to get my CAB converted to the AF version. All I have is the order and the NCO said they'll want the order with a citation/unclassified AAR. Problem is I've never seen one if one was ever written. Who would be able to find it? My old commander? My old unit? Thanks.

You should have orders for it in your OMPF.

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008

Our Gay Apparel posted:

You should have orders for it in your OMPF.

I have the orders, but they want a descriptive citation like how they have for the MOH, which I'm not even sure exists for a CAB.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

FooGoo posted:

I have the orders, but they want a descriptive citation like how they have for the MOH, which I'm not even sure exists for a CAB.

I don't think that exists for skill badges, which the CAB counts as. Just orders.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Badge!=decoration, correct? Hell, most decorations don't even have citations.

Edit: Yeah, like he said.

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008

Godholio posted:

That's what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

FooGoo posted:

That's kind of the problem...the AF "version" of the CAB (the AF Combat Action Medal) is a medal and not a badge, which means you're required to do a narrative when you're submitted for it, just like with any other medal (AF Achievement Medal, AF Commendation Medal, etc.) I'd like to think there is a way around this since you switched services, but it's probably going to be a little more involved than just going "It's a badge, I don't have a descriptive citation" (although that would be nice).

Godholio posted:

Most decs don't? All the ones I've seen have...you've gotta have something to read when you're handing it out: "SSgt Snuffy distinguished himself through outstanding achievement from ____ to ____ while assigned to the XX ______ ____ Squadron...bullshit about what they did to earn the dec...The distinctive accomplishments of SSgt Snuffy reflect great credit upon himself and the United States Air Force."

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Rrail posted:

Yo, anyone know where that thread or posts I think by Moker about being high on heroin in Afghanistan is? I wanna show those to someone (not cops) because they are awesome stories.

it was hippay you silly man i showed you!!!

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
CAB's do require citations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

Most decs don't? All the ones I've seen have...you've gotta have something to read when you're handing it out: "SSgt Snuffy distinguished himself through outstanding achievement from ____ to ____ while assigned to the XX ______ ____ Squadron...bullshit about what they did to earn the dec...The distinctive accomplishments of SSgt Snuffy reflect great credit upon himself and the United States Air Force."

In general (meaning I don't know of an exception personally) medals have citations, other decs don't. IE, the "normal" ribbons. They're still decorations, and I can't think of any that have citations. Expert, training, longevity, various unit decorations, etc.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

moker posted:

it was hippay you silly man i showed you!!!

i ask you after i post

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

In general (meaning I don't know of an exception personally) medals have citations, other decs don't. IE, the "normal" ribbons. They're still decorations, and I can't think of any that have citations. Expert, training, longevity, various unit decorations, etc.

Ahh, gotcha. I only think of medals when I hear "decs" since that's usually the only context you hear the phrase in. Like I said above though the Combat Action Medal is an actual medal, not just a ribbon, so it requires a citation.

Carnival Rider
Apr 23, 2006

I apparently have orders to Korea that have not been cut yet. I don't want to go to Korea, I've been stuck in TRADOC the last 3 years and want to deploy. Can I (or someone in my chain of command) call branch with the requisition list and request another station or am I hosed into going over there.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
You can try to contact your branch manager (I suggest by phone) and maybe they'll care maybe they wont man, its a crapshoot. Reasons other than "I don't want to go there" probably wont fly depending on your branch manager.

But sorry korea owns and you should go anyhow.

Carnival Rider
Apr 23, 2006

I've heard a lot of good things about Korea, and I'm not really a barracks rat. Thing is, I'm getting married and then go to Korea a month after that. I've heard it's hard as poo poo to bring your family there, so I'm hosed for 2 years if this class isn't important enough to supersede Korea orders or I can't get something worked out.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Carnival Rider posted:

I've heard a lot of good things about Korea, and I'm not really a barracks rat. Thing is, I'm getting married and then go to Korea a month after that. I've heard it's hard as poo poo to bring your family there, so I'm hosed for 2 years if this class isn't important enough to supersede Korea orders or I can't get something worked out.

Check here for command sponsorship info for Area I:

http://www.2id.korea.army.mil/commandsponsorship/introduction/

I got your email and am working your request, but the system's down.

e: processed and sent.

GreenMeat fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 25, 2011

Carnival Rider
Apr 23, 2006

Welp, it's looking like if my class doesn't supersede orders to Korea I'm at the mercy of the force com level. I really hope I can bring my wife over, if not it'll be a grand "Hey, awesome getting married to you, I'm off for a year." I wouldn't mind if it was a deployment, I would make more money.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Carnival Rider posted:

Welp, it's looking like if my class doesn't supersede orders to Korea I'm at the mercy of the force com level. I really hope I can bring my wife over, if not it'll be a grand "Hey, awesome getting married to you, I'm off for a year." I wouldn't mind if it was a deployment, I would make more money.

It sucks. I got married less than 24 hours before I shipped to Korea. Once I got my orders, we moved up the wedding date in order for her to be eligible for benefits.

My honeymoon was basically road head en route to the airport.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

GreenMeat posted:

My honeymoon was basically road head en route to the airport.

This should be the next monthly Army thread title.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

She gave birth in the car and got afterbirth on my boots.

Reformed Pessimist
Apr 18, 2007
There's this girl my brother and I know who's always been basically full of poo poo about a lot of things. She's claimed in the past that she attended Annapolis and still claims she has some vague ties to the Navy. As far as I can tell the closest she's been to attending Annapolis is that she used to live near there at one point.

Right now she's trying to tell a bunch of friends of ours that there is some Navy regulation these days stating that you are not allowed to wear your uniform off duty in public when not on any sort of military property. She further states that this is pretty standard for all of the branches. So, this sounds like crap to me but I was wondering if anyone here could confirm it for me. Shes calling the Navy policy the "Ship to Ship Policy". Googling that turns up absolutely nothing.

I can't find any official information on this using google, just some wiki answers pages. I was hoping for some sort of official regulation to cite if there is one whether she's full of crap or not.

My dad is retired Coast Guard, and although he didn't wear his uniform all the time off base or off ship, there were plenty of times that he did. So I can't imagine things have changed that drastically since he was in.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Every branch has different rules for when and where you can wear your uniform off duty, but no branch out-and-out bans the wear of uniforms off base, not even close. If you lived anywhere near Great Lakes Naval Station, you'd know that since every weekend Chicago is swarmed with boot-rear end Sailors sightseeing and getting drunk in their cracker-jack uniforms.

e: here you go http://www.unl.edu/nrotc/reference/UniformReg/Chapter1.pdf page 1-12 and 1-13. There are a million reasons for wearing almost any Navy uniform off base. Looks like Navy Regs are (unsurprisingly) pretty much identical to Marine Corps regs when I was in. No prolonged stops (restaurants, public engagements, drinking with homies) in any of the work uniforms like Coveralls or Cammies, but brief stops for gas and such are allowed. Service (e.g. "Dress" uniforms like the cracker jack suit and the khakis) are authorized for just about anywhere , any time except political rallies and such.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 26, 2011

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
So, I'm in the USNR, and I'm about to ship out on ADT orders to a training command where I know I'm going to be needing to wear ribbon racks and dress uniforms and poo poo like that. I was in for 5 years active, and so far 1.5 years as SELRES. The Navy awards Good Conduct Medals every 3 years without NJP (don't know if this standard persists in other branches). The USNR has it's own good conduct medal, seperate from the active duty one. My question is, since my aggregate time of service is over 6 years, am I eligible to add a star to my existing good conduct, or do I have to wait until I've reached 3 years in the reserves to receive another? If the latter, do my 2 years active with no NJP matter at all?

Normally I would just call my admin and ask them but they are all out in the field on AT and I'm staying back getting ready to PCS.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Wouldn't add anything you haven't been awarded. You can ask your admin folks when they get back. It's not like it matters.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

No Butt Stuff posted:

Wouldn't add anything you haven't been awarded. You can ask your admin folks when they get back. It's not like it matters.

Yeah I'm not super worried about it or anything, I'm just wondering how that works is all.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

*If* it's like the army, then you may be due the award, but until you remind your admin folks and have it processed, you aren't authorized to wear it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

AF is the same way. I had to show proof I went through training, about a year afterwards. :bang:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

No Butt Stuff posted:

*If* it's like the army, then you may be due the award, but until you remind your admin folks and have it processed, you aren't authorized to wear it.

Oh trust me, it's the same in the Navy too. I had to make sure and nag them about my first award, so it was almost comical how when they finally got around to awarding it, I managed to get in trouble and was going to DRB that very morning!

Still, it wasn't anything bad enough to go beyond XOI, so my spotless record continues :v:

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Are there any good online colleges? Military.com keeps recommending university of Phoenix, American Intercontinental, and Grantham. Those don't sound too good...should I just stick with a community college until I get my GPA up?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm of the opinion based on just reading opinions and such of universities that probably 90% of the colleges on base or online catering to military are probably good for one thing: promotion points. Anything beyond that I am doubtful of, but I'm sure someone will correct me. I'm too loving jaded man of anything "for the troops"

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

gleep glop posted:

Are there any good online colleges? Military.com keeps recommending university of Phoenix, American Intercontinental, and Grantham. Those don't sound too good...should I just stick with a community college until I get my GPA up?

Pretty much every online college is a diploma mill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world

gleep glop posted:

I wouldn't do any of those. If you were going to do something more legit look at TESC, UMUC, or any other state school distance education degrees.

• Locked thread