Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

sleeping ariadne posted:

Sorry, I just realised I was incredibly rude and forgot to say thank you for this recipe! I made a double batch for the party, and they were so popular. People standing next to me that didn't know I had baked them were gushing over them. It's my favourite brownie recipe too! :)

Yay! I'm so glad that you liked them!
It's really fun to experiment with them, too. One time I made a homemade pecan/chocolate spread (like nutella but pecan), left out the cinnamon, and switched the toppings with milk chocolate and chopped pecans- sooo good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

clarabelle posted:

I require advice of the cake variety

When doubling the recipe, what does one do in terms of cooking temp and baking time? I have a family recipe I use that makes a small circular cake, baking for 1 hour at 160C. I want to double the recipe to bake in a large rectangular tray. Any idea what I should do?

I felt bad that your post didn't get answered on the last page, but unfortunately I'm not an experienced cakester so I'm not really qualified to give advice. However, to make this a not-entirely-useless post, here's a link I found through Google that includes a cake-pan conversion chart, and more information in the comments below:

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/cake-pan-size-conversions/Detail.aspx

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
I deep fried something. And put it on top of a cake.

Though it looks like jerky, those are actually churros (on top of cinnamon cupcakes and whipped cream)

Do churros / deep fried dough count as "cake"? I really want to start dabbling in it. They were pretty yummy - though my whole kitchen stunk of oil for a couple of days.

PezMaster fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 28, 2011

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

clarabelle posted:

I require advice of the cake variety

When doubling the recipe, what does one do in terms of cooking temp and baking time? I have a family recipe I use that makes a small circular cake, baking for 1 hour at 160C. I want to double the recipe to bake in a large rectangular tray. Any idea what I should do?

Well, first of all how deep is your rectangular tray? If the batter will be significantly deeper you might have problems with the cake cooking unevenly. Beyond that, just cook it until it's done. Keep the temp the same, then check it when the original recipe would have been done. Keep checking it periodically until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, and the top of the cake feels fairly springy.

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006
When all is said and done.
I don't know if this is allowed, but can anyone with archives post the recipe for Car Bomb Cupcakes that was posted a long while back?

There's plenty of recipes online for it, but they all have you heating up the Guinness with the butter in a saucepan and I don't think the version posted in the forums said to do that. I used the recipe posted on the forums the very first time I made them and they came out wonderfully, then I lost the paper it was printed on and it had already went into archives. I've been using the one from SmittenKitchen but it's just not the same as the first batch.

I could be completely wrong about it, too. I just know the first time I made it I didn't bother melting the butter and heating the Guinness first (reading comprehension or just lazy, maybe) and they were the best batch I baked.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Anyone have any really good red velvet cupcake recipes? Mom's birthday is today, and I think a batch of those would do it.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I tried using search to find an answer in this thread but wasn't successful, so I hope this isn't a repeat.

I have a train-shaped cake pan identical to this ("exclusive" my rear end): http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/railway-train-cake-pan/

It makes nine cupcake-sized cakes in the shape of train cars. What I would like to do is pour a clear/white glaze over them when they're done and then just use some piping to decorate it with accents.

Can I just use a standard doughnut/bundtcake-type glaze for this, or does anyone have a good recipe for a cake glaze? I want it to evenly coat the whole of the train except the underside to give it a smooth look. Matte or shiny doesn't really matter, but I would like it to set to a point where it's not too sticky.

Also, I'm planning to use chocolate cake, but haven't settled on a recipe, so if anyone has a good recipe that works well for molded pans I would love to see it!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
If you are looking for a shiny, fruit tart kind of glaze you can make a simple syrup kind of one:
1/2 Cup of sugar
2 Tbsp. Corn starch
1 Cup Water
2Tbsp. Corn Syrup

1. Bring sugar and 1/2 cup of water to a boil
2. Mix cornstarch and remaining water into slurry. Add to boiling syrup
3. Add Corn Syrup, bring back to boil and remove from heat

After it has cooled you can use it to glaze whatever. Obviously this only makes about 1 cup finished product. Might be a bit sticky for your wants.

Otherwise if you are looking for a more matte finish, a standard powdered sugar/milk glaze would work. Probably a bit less tacky as well.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

At the suggestion of somebody in IRC, I am going with powdered sugar and orange juice. I'll take a picture of the result, even if it is terrible.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
Made vegan cake and ice cream last week - both were chocolate peanut butter pretzel

(the ice cream was better than the cake :ssh: )

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

PezMaster posted:

Made vegan cake and ice cream last week - both were chocolate peanut butter pretzel

(the ice cream was better than the cake :ssh: )

It kind of looks like the pretzel pieces in the cake would be a little distracting. Were they soggy and disappointing like I'm imagining?

soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?

PezMaster posted:

Mini tea cakes :3:

English sponge with vanilla bean buttercream and lemon curd.

Sorry this is from the last page, but could I get a recipe for this? They look amazing. Do you make your own curd?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

soap. posted:

Sorry this is from the last page, but could I get a recipe for this? They look amazing. Do you make your own curd?

All of Pez Master's stuff can be found on her (his?) blog: C&C Cakery
http://cccakery.blogspot.com/

I'm still going through the archives myself.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
I have to make a giant multi-tired cake for a baby shower at the end of this month. I'm a bit scared, but I make cakes all the time so I hope it wont be TOO horrible. My question is this: How do I keep the cake from leaning? When I usually make cakes, they look great but have a tendency to lean (I usually do four full-size cake layers). I think this may be because my frosting between layers is too thin... I have tried using wooden skewers, but these haven't worked too well.

How do I get my frosting nice and thick without using too much powdered sugar? (I try to strike a nice balance in my frosting without going TOO overboard with the sugar)

And have any suggestions for keeping a tired cake straight? Should I use straws for support? Hidden Cake boards between layers?

The mom of the parson having the baby is a real nit-picky beotch so I want to do a really good job on this thing so she'll shut her complain hole.

Help me cake gurus, you're my only hope!!!

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Pooptron2003 posted:

And have any suggestions for keeping a tired cake straight? Should I use straws for support? Hidden Cake boards between layers?

The mom of the parson having the baby is a real nit-picky beotch so I want to do a really good job on this thing so she'll shut her complain hole.

Help me cake gurus, you're my only hope!!!

How big is giant? For the baby shower cake that I posted awhile back I only used cake board between the tiers, but it was a rather small cake (2 10-inch layers and 2 8-inch layers.) If your cake is going to be a lot bigger, use cake boards between the tiers and also hammer a sharpened dowel (1/2 inch or so diameter) down through the center of the whole thing and into the base that the cake sets on, it will help a lot with the leaning. The cake boards also make it really easy to remove the tiers for cutting.

Also, depending on how many tiers you end up making, you may need/want to add some extra support to the base layer by using some shorter dowels to hold up the cake board on the base layer.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

It kind of looks like the pretzel pieces in the cake would be a little distracting. Were they soggy and disappointing like I'm imagining?

Because the pretzels were covered in a thick chocolate, they didn't come out too bad. It added a slight crunch to balance out all that richness.

soap. posted:

Someone posted the link to my blog, but here's the specific recipe. I make my own curd because I had no idea you could buy it :confused: Plus, if you make your own curd, you get the chance to mess around with the flavouring (re: mountain dew curd and beer curd).

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006
When all is said and done.
S'more Cupcakes

There was a graham cracker crust bottom, chocolate cake, then marshmallow frosting (egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar and vanilla. I don't know what else to call it). Toasted the top a little bit under the broiler and a chunk of Hershey's chocolate (since that's iconic for S'mores. Plus they were for a kids last day of school party).

I'm Bored Cupcakes

Basic vanilla cake filled with a chocolate pastry cream topped with a swirled chocolate and vanilla marshmallow frosting. I was supposed to be doing laundry. Oops.

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.
This thread motivated me to finally bake something! We are having a potluck lunch at work tomorrow so I figured it would be the perfect time to try out some new cupcakes.

White cake with strawberry buttercream. Not exactly the most inventive thing ever, but gotta start somewhere. Used chunks of strawberry to flavor the frosting so there are still little berry bits in it which is something I've never done before and I am stupidly excited about it for no good reason. Also, it tastes like strawberry shortcake, yuuumm.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

The Heartless posted:

then marshmallow frosting (egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar and vanilla. I don't know what else to call it).

You made a meringue! Which I actually hadn't thought of to do with s'mores before, especially since I don't much care for marshmallows. I will definitely try this.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

The Heartless posted:

S'more Cupcakes

There was a graham cracker crust bottom, chocolate cake, then marshmallow frosting (egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar and vanilla. I don't know what else to call it). Toasted the top a little bit under the broiler and a chunk of Hershey's chocolate (since that's iconic for S'mores. Plus they were for a kids last day of school party).

With the graham cracker crust, is it just in the bottom of the muffin tin, or did you go up the sides as well? Seeing as how they are in liners I imagine it's just the bottom, but I've seen other amazing things here. Might make these this weekend, depending on what else goes on.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Halwa cupcakes with cashew cream cheese frosting, kulfi ice cream, and cashew-cardamom cookie toppers. I'm on a bit of an Indian kick lately.

I'm entering these into a cupcake/ice cream contest too :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Those look delicious, and kulfi sounds AMAZING.

BUT NO MEATBALLS
Oct 22, 2005

My wife made this for my birthday, and it was AWESOME. Sorry about the cruddy picture.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
And unintentionally you have given me the best way to use M&Ms on a cake or cookie. Clearly they were meant to be the mana colors. :)

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Does anyone have a solid olive oil cake recipe by weight? I'm cooking for a gang of people next month and I'm thinking about doing small, muffin-sized olive oil cakes and strawberries tossed with a light vanilla syrup for dessert.

Also question on technique for basic olive oil cakes - are they basically made like sponge cakes but with olive oil instead of butter? I mean, you get your aeration from whipping the sugar with eggs and then fold in the olive oil and flour? I've looked through most of my cookbooks, and I can't find squat on techniques regarding different fats.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

cocoavalley posted:

How big is giant? For the baby shower cake that I posted awhile back I only used cake board between the tiers, but it was a rather small cake (2 10-inch layers and 2 8-inch layers.) If your cake is going to be a lot bigger, use cake boards between the tiers and also hammer a sharpened dowel (1/2 inch or so diameter) down through the center of the whole thing and into the base that the cake sets on, it will help a lot with the leaning. The cake boards also make it really easy to remove the tiers for cutting.

Also, depending on how many tiers you end up making, you may need/want to add some extra support to the base layer by using some shorter dowels to hold up the cake board on the base layer.

Thanks for the info! (sorry this took so long, completely forgot I posted)

The cake will be 3 tiers, the bottom being 12 inches, the next 10, the next 8 (At least those are the pan sizes I remember ordering...I think). Getting the supplies for this thing is costing a fortune. Any good recommendations of where to get the base layer? I was reading online that thicker cake boards (pedestals? I forget what they're called) were better, but they're about 17 bucks each for something that I'm going to ruin with a sharpened dowel.

What kind of icing did you use on your cake? Standard buttercream?

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Pooptron2003 posted:

Thanks for the info! (sorry this took so long, completely forgot I posted)

The cake will be 3 tiers, the bottom being 12 inches, the next 10, the next 8 (At least those are the pan sizes I remember ordering...I think). Getting the supplies for this thing is costing a fortune. Any good recommendations of where to get the base layer? I was reading online that thicker cake boards (pedestals? I forget what they're called) were better, but they're about 17 bucks each for something that I'm going to ruin with a sharpened dowel.

What kind of icing did you use on your cake? Standard buttercream?

For the base that the cake sits on I usually just use multiple layers of regular cake board that have been taped together and wrapped up with foil. I don't worry too much about it being that strong because I place the whole thing on a wooden cutting board to transport it and then just slide it onto the table at the destination. You might not even need the dowel, or at least not a 1/2" one for the cake you plan on making. The one I am referencing here:

is the top two layers of what you are planning, and I had no issues with sliding.

And yes, I use buttercream, but I don't have any experience with fondant and the mom-to-be didn't want it, or else I think it would have looked a lot nicer.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Passionfruit and milk chocolate macarons. I love making these, unfortunately :(

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

yoshesque posted:

They kind of look like little hamburgers :3:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Flantastic posted:

A cake I made for my mama for her birthday. She has a bee hive and is a huge bee advocate, so I made her her own hive, some cute fondant bees, and frosting made from our bee's honey! (: Delicious!

That's a beee-yootiful cake for your mom. :3:

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

But shakin' its all I know!
Sooo my best friend's older brother just got engaged and his fiance wanted me and my best friend to surprise him at their engagement party with an MRE cake. We made a practice one the other day. It's actually not great compared to our usual standards, but we kept reminding ourselves it was only a PRACTICE RUN. He's not a goon so I don't feel bad posting some pictures:

At the top is their wedding date, at the bottom says "Congrats Chris".

Here's the cake next to a real MRE. For the real cake I think I'm going to use a stencil to paint on the words.

It was delicious. Lemon cake with lemon buttercream (like seriously, holy poo poo it was lemony). But my friend makes the best lemon buttercream. :3:

Oh yeah and last night I was bored so I made neon-rainbow cupcakes with vanilla buttercream.

Unfortunately I had never tried that buttercream recipe before and ended up with a ton of it leftover. :( Oh well, I'll make something else soon I guess.

Nagelfar
Mar 21, 2005

yoshesque posted:

These are so cute I want to hug and cuddle them before eating. Macarons were never the craze here in Europe, are they really that hard to get right as some say?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Nagelfar posted:

These are so cute I want to hug and cuddle them before eating. Macarons were never the craze here in Europe, are they really that hard to get right as some say?

What? They are massive in London right now, everywhere does them! I had one the other day that was champagne and roses, it was beyond divine.

Nagelfar
Mar 21, 2005

madlilnerd posted:

What? They are massive in London right now, everywhere does them! I had one the other day that was champagne and roses, it was beyond divine.
I apologize, mainland Europe which is not Paris nor London.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Nagelfar posted:

Yes. These bastards are the most finicky pastry I've tried making. And even though those ones look good, there's some issues with holey shells, not that it affects the taste, it's just a nitpicky thing. Despite all their troubles it is a lot of fun to think up of new flavours :)

RazorBunny posted:

They kind of look like little hamburgers :3:

Luxemburgerli look more like burgers to me, but I see where you're coming from :3:

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

hypnotoad posted:

Sooo my best friend's older brother just got engaged and his fiance wanted me and my best friend to surprise him at their engagement party with an MRE cake. We made a practice one the other day. It's actually not great compared to our usual standards, but we kept reminding ourselves it was only a PRACTICE RUN. He's not a goon so I don't feel bad posting some pictures:

At the top is their wedding date, at the bottom says "Congrats Chris".

This is really well done. Is that a crust on it or a fondant? The color is great.

yoslow
Apr 23, 2006

Yo slow
For my girlfriends birthday my friend and I made this Phillies inspired cake. It was the first cake I ever baked and I have to say it was a lot of fun to make. It's a simple vanilla funfetti two layer cake. I got a little creative and mixed red sprinkles, white icing, and red dye to create the filling between the two layers. I'm extremely happy with how the P turned out.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Nagelfar posted:

I apologize, mainland Europe which is not Paris nor London.

Sorry, I meant "what?" more as "Really?", but it sort of came across as "are you stupid?" :shobon:

To those of you saying that they look like adorable little burgers, La Fuji Mama has a recipe for Big Mac macarons. They are extremely cute!

Dr. Doorknob
Jan 15, 2007
And The Amazing Electromagnetic Thing
Inspired by this thread, I've been doing a bit of cake decorating in the past year, and I thought I'd share!

Chocolate cake with cherry filling and white chocolate buttercream -- for a co-worker's impending baby

A cake for a Valentine's party. Lemon cake with raspberry filling and white chocolate buttercream. I piped melted red candy melts into heart shapes. Add raspberries and white chocolate shavings for deliciousness!

This was for a good friend's wedding shower. The top layer is red velvet with chocolate pudding filling and cream cheese frosting. The bottom layer is chocolate with raspberry filling and white chocolate buttercream. The green and blue flowers emulate the design on the shower invitation. Plus, I stuck glittery butterflies on cake wires and in between the tiers. I printed their engagement photo on blank Shrinky-dink plastic, shrunk it, and used it as a cake topper.

A World of Warcraft cake for my friend's boyfriend -- funfetti cake with chopped cherries and cherry filling. All the decorations are fondant, and were fiddly little pains in the butt.

And finally, this cake I did for Thanksgiving. The bottom layer is spice cake, filled with apple butter and roasted apples. The top layer is chocolate, filled with Nutella and banana slices. Those fruits (and squirrels) atop the cake were made from marzipan. Those fondant leaves were also fiddly little pains in the butt. The basketweave plus the fruit was meant to evoke a horn-of-plenty.

So, in conclusion, fondant is a fiddly little pain in the butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUT NO MEATBALLS
Oct 22, 2005

Dr. Doorknob posted:

And finally, this cake I did for Thanksgiving. The bottom layer is spice cake, filled with apple butter and roasted apples. The top layer is chocolate, filled with Nutella and banana slices. Those fruits (and squirrels) atop the cake were made from marzipan. Those fondant leaves were also fiddly little pains in the butt. The basketweave plus the fruit was meant to evoke a horn-of-plenty.

So, in conclusion, fondant is a fiddly little pain in the butt.

Wow! That last one looks incredible! Nice work!

• Locked thread