Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Got some new parts in, only one of them wont need some fabricating to fit. Cleaning up the tail light will be the perfect time to do some wire tucking.

Before

During

After

Still need to do a little clean up on the wires but after I got the tail hooked up I took it for a spin and I lost all day light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That looks WAAAY better, nice clean-up. I love the wrenchmonkees-esque look of the bike.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Took me about 2 days but I finally got my CBR F2 carbs removed. Took some serious tugging and prying.

I of course destroyed one of them in the process by puncturing one of the carbs with a prybar, also snapped off a little vacuum joint thing thats in the #1 cylinder head, i'll have to carefully drill it out and screw a new one in, it's a 4$ part. found a new set of carbs on ebay for ~100$

Also going to replace the 4 intake boots, those things were NASTY on my bike, hard rear end 18 year old rubber. Going to install new throttle cables, along with a valve adjustment.

It has been an interesting learning experience, good thing I have 3 other bikes to ride. :)

Yeah don't make a hole in the side like I did.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Mockup mounted my new rear fender and installed the rear grip.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

infraboy posted:

Took me about 2 days but I finally got my CBR F2 carbs removed. Took some serious tugging and prying.

I of course destroyed one of them in the process by puncturing one of the carbs with a prybar, also snapped off a little vacuum joint thing thats in the #1 cylinder head, i'll have to carefully drill it out and screw a new one in, it's a 4$ part. found a new set of carbs on ebay for ~100$

Also going to replace the 4 intake boots, those things were NASTY on my bike, hard rear end 18 year old rubber. Going to install new throttle cables, along with a valve adjustment.

It has been an interesting learning experience, good thing I have 3 other bikes to ride. :)

Yeah don't make a hole in the side like I did.

Wow, sorry to hear your bad luck. I'm feeling extra happy that I paid a Yamaha shop to pull and clean my carbs for less than $300 on my 02 R6.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Every time I think I'm curious about owning an I4, I see something like that and get scared off again.

Working on twins is just so, so much easier. Especially on Ducs because you can just drop it out of the trellis.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

A Duck! posted:

Every time I think I'm curious about owning an I4, I see something like that and get scared off again.

Working on twins is just so, so much easier. Especially on Ducs because you can just drop it out of the trellis.

It's not that bad. They also have the advantage of much, much longer maintenance intervals, generally.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Made a tool to pull my fork seals. Hopefully it works. Also tried cutting the lower bearing race from my steering stem. Didn't do much good. Can't cut all the way through lest I cut into the stem, and it still won't budge. Thing must've been crammed on with god's own hydraulic press and sealed there with 35 years of gunk.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Filled the holes where the toolbox's mount bolted to the frame with some chrome washers and button socket head cap screws,

Replaced the worn-out 180/60 rear with a 160/70 Metzeler Marathon. I looked for a car tire to mount on the rear, but nothing fit this wheel. Seeing as how this would be to test out the performance and as a cost-savings measure, buying an expensive wheel and paying somebody to figure out how to modify the whole thing to fit, even if I sold the $7-800 H-D chrome Deuce wheel... well I'd probably have to buy quite a few tires before the savings panned out. Not worth it at this time, especially considering the fact that the modification might not have been possible, and might have turned out to be super-scary.

I've heard people talk about all sorts of differences in the feel of their bike after changing tire sizes, but honestly, there is zero difference on this bike insofar as I can tell.

However, I actually like the look of this narrower tire much better than the 180. Much more proportional. Hopefully it lasts longer than 7000 miles.

put on a Kuryakyn 3 1/4" extended forward controls kit. They sell for like $350 or something, but I got it for a sweet $160 off eBay :c00l: It came with completely wrong hardware however, luckily the Ace Hardware up the road has a fine selection of exotic stainless steel fasteners.

Now this changes how this bike handles for me, and it's 90% for the better. I've got relatively bad knees, am 6'1", and the increase in comfort has led to an increase in confidence and concentration. I don't have an impulse to stretch out my legs and rest my calves on the footpegs at inappropriate times (any time not on a long stretch of unoccupied road I'd classify as inappropriate). It was even uncomfortable on my 15 minute commute to work beforehand, and now I don't even think of doing so.

The one detractor is going over railroad tracks or other obstacles on the road, it's more difficult to get my rear off the seat in a timely fashion, since I have to pull on the handlebars to get myself upright. After an adjustment, I'm more used to it and don't do so in an exaggerated fashion.

Also it came with a nifty stainless steel rear brake line! I bought one of those fancy brake bleeders from Mity-Vac and made quick work of that, put some nice DOT 5 fluid in there.

How it looked when I purchased it.

New exhaust, removed the toolbox.

Today! I didn't bother trying to mount the rear tire myself, a mechanic here did it for $40. Considering the bike honked when I used the rear at low speeds before, and it now doesn't, I'd say that's a good investment!

Next up: a smoked visor for my helmet, and getting the fuel tank repainted to remove the Harley Davidson script. I've got a mind at some point to get the tins painted with a sweet scene in Monument Valley while a herd of horses rushes through, kicking up clouds of dust as the sun sets or something mega-rad like that, but I figure cleaning up the tank'll do for now.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I'm glad you went with an actual motorcycle tire. I still think your forward controls are silly, but it's your bike. The exhaust is a major improvement! The question is, how loud is the bike now? :)

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I'd rather be "silly" than have achy knees.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

M4rg4r1ne posted:

I'd rather be "silly" than have achy knees.
?

I find a standard riding position to be very comfortable.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Maybe each person has a different body and different positions they are comfortable in :confused:

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Crayvex posted:

I'm glad you went with an actual motorcycle tire. I still think your forward controls are silly, but it's your bike. The exhaust is a major improvement! The question is, how loud is the bike now? :)
I bought it in Sacramento and rode it to Seattle in October in the rain, so believe me, I know what it's like to want to stretch out my legs and not really be able to do so. The discomfort drove me to distraction, which, if it weren't taking away from the pain of my frozen hands and feet, might've been unwelcome (I've since been gifted heated gloves and bought some insulated overboots, so I'm good down to temperatures of 20 degrees F or so now for an hour or two, and down to 40 or so indefinitely, and the rain would take a good hour or two to soak through now). If they made the extensions longer and it wouldn't interfere with the front tire, I'd get some, it's made that much of a difference.

I'm really glad that scoop still fit with them, I was super-surprised. I took that off too to see if it cleaned up the bike even more, but it looks better with it on.

On the pipes: I've set off a car alarm once but that was starting up right next to it in a parking lot, as the initial point of ignition is quite percussive. After that the idle settles into this very pleasant basso rumbling, very V-Twin, a tone not even remotely resembling any other portion of the throttle band. It only gets loud to the point where I'd say "whoa there buddy" if I really lean into it, like to pass someone, and I'm fine with that, since after the initial thrill of riding I've come to appreciate the greater fuel savings of riding conservatively. I've dropped into neutral and revved a bit to get drivers' attention when I can tell they're going to pull in front of me as they come to a stop sign, which has gotten their heads snapping in my direction, so that's good.

A buddy rode next to me for a couple hours and didn't have a problem with it, and another buddy followed me in a car and said compared to most custom pipes they're relatively inert, especially at speed. I'd say they're maybe between two to three times louder than stock pipes, right on the edge of what I'd deem appropriate.

That all being expressed, there's something interesting about counter-balanced V-Twins and the sound of their engines that isn't altogether pleasant as opposed to the rubber-mounted jobs. It had the sound with the old 2-into-1 pipes as well: there's this sort of metallic roar coming from the pistons and not the exhaust, similar to two pieces of metal clacking together, only really, really loud and really, really fast.

It's made finding the correct ear protection a breeze though, because once I found the right earplugs, every other sort made riding almost unbearably unpleasant.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I understand the desire to stretch out. I'm 6'2" and I rode my R6 from Detroit to Nashville. While it would have been nice at times, I can't justify the hit forward controls have on handling. It's your bike, go with what you like. Which is the opposite of my tastes.

drat those pipes look sweet. Too bad they are so loud. Marv had loud pipes on his Sportster 1200 for a while. After a day of riding behind him I could hear that stupid exhaust in my dreams... It sucked hard.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Crayvex posted:

I understand the desire to stretch out. I'm 6'2" and I rode my R6 from Detroit to Nashville. While it would have been nice at times, I can't justify the hit forward controls have on handling.
Since I'm much more comfortable, I'm also much more at ease putting the bike into deeper maneuvers, and with greater confidence, alacrity, and precision. An unexpected boon!

quote:

drat those pipes look sweet. Too bad they are so loud. Marv had loud pipes on his Sportster 1200 for a while. After a day of riding behind him I could hear that stupid exhaust in my dreams... It sucked hard.
They aren't a big deal at all if you're wearing appropriate hearing protection, which as we all know riders of all stripes should consider to be compulsory :)

These are what I've found to be the best, hands down. Reusable are uncomfortable and have things that stick out which can contact the helmet, and jam them more into your ears. Yowch!

Custom-molded ones are good, especially the ones with earphone drivers built-in, but the noise reduction is less.

I've tried stuff by Body Guard and Howard Leight, and I've tried both the regular and small Meteors by Moldex. The sparkplugs and the other variations - the camo ones and the green ones, the orange ones and the yellow ones - while not shaped in any special way, have extremely soft foam which expands very slowly and gently and contacts the inner surfaces of the ear with a slightly porous texture, which is more comfortable than some of the other foams, which expand more snugly and with a more rubbery surface, and as a result push painfully against the inside of the ear, or hit the ear canal, stick, and then try to expand laterally, pulling on skin in this most sensitive of areas.

The Meteors and a couple Leight brands have that sort of balloon-shape which you'd think would be more form-fitting, but the regulars were too big and went way too deep into my ear canals, and the smalls let in way too much noise.

Anyway, everybody's ears are different but if you try lots of different brands you'll notice straight off which ones you like for yourself, as the differences are really quite pronounced.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I'm all about hearing protection but nothing will protect you when you are directly behind a bike with them "loud pipes" that "save lives". :hurr: (I always use hearing protection)

I just hate loud pipes. They are obnoxious, don't improve performance THAT much, and make cagers hate us even more. With that said, the pipes that were on your bike were demanding to be replaced. Also, you don't have to justify yourself to me. (I mean it. Who the gently caress am i?) But I also remember that you were trying to put a car tire on your bike... which is retarded.

Now I'm off to put clubman bars on my 77 Honda C750K. ;)

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Finished it (well, for now) just in time to ride across the country.

It's a '99 Buell X1 (thanks Deeters).

Choom Gangster fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 30, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Might want to check your chain tension and front brake fluid before you go riding across the country.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Might want to wear really comfy underpants.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Don't get hit by a car that can't hear you

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

If you make it across the country on that, I'll be really impressed. I'm sore just looking at it. (Also, that's not an XB12 engine. If it's a '99, it's from an X1 or any of the Buells that used a souped up Sportster engine, which that looks like.)

Yesterday, I put in a new battery in my Firebolt. It was having a hard time starting, and it turned out I still had the original battery from 2002 in it.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Bled the brakes, bled the clutch.

Went out and found a big, empty parking lot. With warm tires on warm asphalt, the front wheel locks up before I can stoppie. Oh well.

Clutch response is way WAY different now. I stalled out a number of times because the last little big of the friction point is very grippy. It really wants to dump the clutch and go launching off. Fun, fun times.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hey he didn't say he's American. He may be heading across Monaco.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Pulled my pressure off to swap the clutch plates out on the 900ss and I suppose I overtorqued the bolts last week when I checked the clutch pack in the first place because it was slipping. Just glad I didn't ride on it like this.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Maybe he meant "county".

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Endless Mike posted:

Maybe he is, though. Meet American Samoa, which must be 25 miles wide as the crow flies...

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Added electric start to the drz. PO took it off and all the wiring that goes with it to save weight. What a retard. 7 hours of work to get it but it works perfectly. Had to re wire all the kill switches, some ignition wires, install the solenoid and battery and those wires, route them all accordingly and shrink tube the crimps. It took forever but it was very satisfying to work perfectly on the first try, and I know it will last.

It is civiliszed!

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

How heavy was it?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Replaced fork seals on a friends DL650 V-Strom. The new ones lasted long enough to go around the block once, and then both of them started spewing oil as I pulled into the garage. They looked like they were seated correctly, and the retaining ring snapped into place without any trouble at all. There is no damage to the forks, no scrapes or nicks to cut the seals.

I tried the thin plastic/35mm film trick to see if I could get them to stop, one side seems to have stopped, but the other looks like it's still leaking. The new seals weren't OEM, which is the only thing I can think of that I did wrong. Oh well, at least everything will come apart faster when I pull it apart again.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Did you check the forks for "nicks"? I ran panty hose over the surfaces and had a few, they can instantly ruin seals.

Also being a single guy buying pantyhose and beer was the most awkward I've ever felt at a CVS.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think the dude in front of me buying KY and womens clothing probably felt more awkward

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

M4rg4r1ne posted:

How heavy was it?

Starter, battery, solenoid and the stuff that goes with them maybe added 15-20 pounds which is pretty small considering the convenience it adds.

If one was so inclined, I could get a lithium ion battery and save 10 pounds but why? Drz's will never be light.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MrZig posted:

Added electric start to the drz. PO took it off and all the wiring that goes with it to save weight. What a retard. 7 hours of work to get it but it works perfectly. Had to re wire all the kill switches, some ignition wires, install the solenoid and battery and those wires, route them all accordingly and shrink tube the crimps. It took forever but it was very satisfying to work perfectly on the first try, and I know it will last.

It is civiliszed!

I did the opposite on the CRF today. Took off all the horribly done electronics the previous owners added to make it street legal. No more dual sport touring kit, no more hideous acerbis alien headlight, no more battery waiting to be crushed. Cut at least 50 zip ties and pulled a ton of useless wiring.

Will be replacing the whole mess with a LED headlight & taillight, will retain working brake lights and a nice lipo battery pack to power everything. The bike doesn't have a charging system so why run a system like you would on a bike that does. Simple easy to remove total-loss power system.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Parents hired a builder to do some renovations around the house yesterday. I get home and see that my bike is completely covered in sawdust. :argh:

Gave it a good cleaning and parked it away from the house just in case they get the builders in without letting me know. :(

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Pulled my pressure off to swap the clutch plates out on the 900ss and I suppose I overtorqued the bolts last week when I checked the clutch pack in the first place because it was slipping. Just glad I didn't ride on it like this.

Your clutch is looking a little dry there, sir.

effzedsix
Mar 7, 2006
I had a crazy motorcycle weekend with my new FZ6.
Thursday: I got a spare stock seat and shaved it down so I can actually touch the ground now. Here's a pic of me taking the extra seat to my dad's:

I don't think that's what they mean by passenger seat. I also installed frame sliders.
Friday: I practiced touring a little bit by catching the ferry with my dad on his V-Rod over to Seattle and working our way down to Olympia and then back home.

Then after that long trip I tested the frame sliders practicing tight u-turns in an elementary parking lot.
Saturday: I had an action photo shoot with a few of my friends including PopeMobile.
Here's me:
Here's he:
Sunday: Another practice ride around the Hood Canal via hwy 101.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Always weirds me out when I come across pictures on the WSF on forums.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I did these things yesterday but didn't have evidence until today.

I installed a smaller rear tail light and now should probably paint the old screws and washers black. I also replaced the worn out and somewhat oxidized screws on the transmission case with stainless steel ones.

I also installed a LeoVince ZX exhaust and the lighter rollers that came with it. I couldn't get the tighter springs to go in the clutch and mangled some snap ring pliers in the process. Oh well, the variator spins more easily now but the clutch still engages at a low RPM. I reused the stock crush gasket because it looked much beefier than the LeoVince one. I still have a tiny leak which could either be attributed to the gasket or a bent exhaust bolt. Looks like I'll be heading to the hardware store tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbonate
Aug 3, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
Put a drywall screw in my rear tire at speed.

Didn't go down, and luckily enough the local bike place has both a tire and a tube in stock! It's still a gigantic pain in the rear end, mind you.