Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Great job so far! Here's hoping you can stick with the game through to the end; I literally have not played FF7 past Midgar since I played it at release as a kid, so seeing the rest of the game now with almost no memory of it should be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm loving the style of this LP. Keep it up!

For some reason, I never did beat FF7 despite finishing most other FF titles, so I'm interested to see how the end game actually plays out. I mean, I know pretty much everything that happens anyway, but I'm curious to see how the game does things.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I hear all the sound effects in my head as I read :3: Like Cloud banging on the train door and the sound of it sliding open. I've put a ridiculous amount of time into this game.

Really enjoying the LP so far!

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
RAINBOW is the only acceptable color scheme.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Two updates in, and I'm already feeling the urge to replay this game.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I'm one of those odd people who neither love nor hate this game. I think it's okay, as far as story and gameplay mechanics go. It does a nice job of explaining in-battle mechanics with things in the world, with the exception of limit breaks. However, best game of all time it is not. It's very poorly translated (even the PC version), the materia system is only slightly different from the last game's magic system, and the story is full of plot holes and silly moments trying to be serious moments. It's not a bad game by any means of the imagination, it's just not as great as the fanboys say.

The expanded universe is a shithole though.

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
Immediately after TWD finished up Final Fantasy 9, you come roaring in here providing a new source of FF related reading material. What a dude you are.

I was originally going to buy all the PSX era FF games on the PSN Store following my exams being over. The difficulty with that is that about a week or so prior to my exams, the whole PSN thing happened. I'm still waiting on being able to buy and replay all three games. I gave my old copies of them to a friend who had never played them, so while she's happy I'm left in a bit of a pickle due to not being able to play through them. I took to living vicariously through TWD and I'll do it again here.

I like the way you're writing it, but someone mentioned that if you were adding your own quotes in the mix, could you use a different style of text. Italics or bold or what have you - it's just easier to notice than a lack of or addition of "'s is all.

The only option for your windows is of course rainbow, although on subsequent playthroughs after my first I went with a Black/Purple combination, just for ease of reading. However I cannot afford you this luxury, and vote for the 'I'm playing this game for the first time' colour scheme. poo poo rainbows all over those text boxes.

As for FF7 itself, the opening is one of the best in any JRPG to date. Chrono Trigger and FF7 really do their opening scenes well, you get everything you need to know without a huge info dump or a seemingly endless number of cutscenes. This game does the whole "convey a lot by saying little" extremely well, and beyond that, still to this day has one of the most well remembered and arguably iconic openings in gaming history.

Regarding the Guard Scorpion as well; in the game manual for the PAL release they had a guide to the opening parts of the game, and thanks to having still got a copy of said manual, I've scanned it in here so you can see what it is. That boss is litereally a case of RTFM if you're struggling with it and are playing on a PAL release. It's pretty neat that they did this; nothing like it appears in any subsequent FF manual.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Elentor posted:

Cool Music we listened to in this Chapter:

Anxious Heart - An awesome moody song. One of the best tracks in my opinion.

This is, and shall forever be, one of my favorite pieces of music in video games, if not simply my all-time favorite.

Perfect blend of suspenseful, laid back, and melancholy, with those chords reminiscent of the Final Fantasy prelude tune and those chilling high notes. This is a quiet evening on dystopian cyberpunk streets. This is a breather, and a foreshadowing of what's to come. It's magical.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy carp, another update!

Chapter 3 - Who's Bad?

We get a nice look at the meeting place. Why is there TEXAS written in it? It's ruining my immersion!! :argh:

The Sector 7 Slums. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

The cool thing about Cloud is that you can pretty much answer almost every interaction in the game as a complete rear end in a top hat.

Anyway, she just goes on and rambles about what we already know, that the reactor blew up.

They do as much as they can to make you well aware of that.

Enough chit-chat, let's go to the meeting place.

The Seventh Heaven Bar.

Home of the worst criminals this world has ever seen.

A dreaded place.

A wicked place.

So this young lady with high-budget polygon breasts welcomes us to "home". I'm not sure Cloud agrees with that.

Tee-hee.

We meet Tifa. Tifa is Cloud's childhood friend, that's all we know for now.

Tifa: "When you were little you used to get into fights at the drop of a hat."

Tifa: "You almost never see them here in the slums. A flower for me? Oh Cloud, you shouldn't have..."

I told you, you can be an rear end in a top hat about everything.

But I'm a nice guy and give the flowers to Tifa.

Biggs: "Why don't you have one too?"
Cloud: "Yeah, why not?"
Biggs: "Oh!! That's more like it!!"

:cry:

They could have named him Porkins instead.

And with that Barret leaves.

That's the best pinball machine ever.

I'm making Cloud a drunk in our LP and I ain't taking nos for an answer.

And we go down.

What is this on the TV? Some ad for LucasArts' game Afterlife?

Cloud: "None. I'm positive."

Barret: "You sound pretty sure."

Cloud: "If there was anyone from SOLDIER you wouldn't be standing here now."

Barret: "Don't go thinking you so bad jes cuz you was in SOLDIER."

Barret: "But don't forget that your skinny rear end's workin' for AVALANCHE now!"

Cloud: "I don't care about Shinra or SOLDIER. But don't get me wrong."

Cloud: "I don't care about AVALANCHE or the Planet for that matter!"

Anyway I decide to talk a bit to the other members before going up.

Wedge: "You say you don't care but you came to talk to me."

Wedge really, really reminds me of the Anime Roommate series.

I mean, he really does.

In this scene I learn that bars, drinks, beer and cowboys are all related to TEXAS. Back to the normal show:

Tifa: "The Planet is dying. Slowly but surely it's dying."

Tifa: "Someone has to do something."

Cloud: "So let Barret and his buddies do something about it."

Tifa: "You forgot the promise, too. Remember... Cloud. It was seven years ago."

Yeah that seems to have worked out really well.

Fracking fangirls.

"Umm, if you get really famous and I'm ever in a bind... you come save me, all right?"

"Whenever I'm in trouble, my hero will come and rescue me."

Cloud proceeds to call Tifa a misogynist and leaves.

"All right... I promise."

If this was made today he would say "I could care less" and I would be pissed off because saying that wrong has become the norm in TV shows nowadays.

Holy poo poo he's climbing that.

"Wait a sec big-time SOLDIER!"

Cloud: "This is my pay? Don't make me laugh. You got the next mission lined up? I'll do it for 3000."

As you can see, Cloud is an rear end in a top hat about everything.

Anyway, reluctantly they accept to pay you 2000 for it and all is good.

This is the one of the few games where these irrelevant questions have actually a purpose later on.

The more the merrier.

"Before the next mission, I got somethin' I wanna ask you!"

"I, uh... I don't really know how to use Materia! I'll give you that Materia you found. Just teach me how to use it!"

If you choose to explain it then the game will offer you a tutorial.

The cool thing about FF7 is that all tutorials are actually explained by Cloud. This is because Cloud is a badass McBadass. It's just like how in Vagrant Story your character is so badass he doesn't really level up or learn something new, he merely remembers it.

Anyway we decide to not explain it to Barret because I'll do it for you (and also because I can't stand tutorials anymore).

Materia in the world of FF7 is how "Magic" works, although it's only seen as magic by the commonfolk. The scientists study it and, well, like to call it science.

The concept is that Materia are these crystals of energy that can be absorbed and controlled. Much like everything else found in nature, the thing is commercialized.

If you look at Cloud's concept art or at his sword model, you'll see that his sword has two holes in it. These are two holes for Materia. That's also why he starts the game with precisely two spells - Lightning and Ice.

Materia has its own Level which is calculated using AP instead of Exp. You only gain AP to the Materia you have equipped.

The cool thing about Materia is that you can combine some of them. See how the two slots in Buster Sword have a link between them? That means these two Materia are combined.

Unfortunately mixing two green (magic) Materia don't do anything. Materia is part of the game world and not just a random mechanic. Some materia are very common, while others are exceedingly rare.

Equipping Green Materia also makes you physically weaker, as you can see.

There seems to be a commotion in the town.

Johnny: "...I'll be a better man! This is goodbye!"

Johnny is Tifa and Cloud's childhood friend. As you may have guessed, he's decided to leave Midgar for good.

Aww :smith:

I mean, seriously, look at that Jacket.

Just beat it.

The cool thing about Cloud is that it's justified in Game Mechanics why he's a badass - He's the most rounded up character of all, with high values in every attribute. There's a backstory for that too, but the point is his Magic attribute is far ahead of every other character we have now.

Each Materia gives you +1 Magic so I put all of them on Cloud to maximize his Magic.

Normally this would be far from optimal because Barret and Tifa's (specially Tifa's) physical damage sucks hard. But this is a 80's Gang, they ain't taking no materia anywhere, no sir.

They are taking...

GRENADES.

Hell yes look at them sweet grenades.

We buy some Iron Bangles, which are armor pieces. There's virtually no difference between them and the Bronze Bangles but they give us one additional Materia slot.

Remember that thing we found on the ground of the first reactor? That was a [Restore] Materia. Restore gives us the "Cure" Spell.

We also bought a Fire and another Lightning Materia because seems like we'll be dealing with more robots in the near future.

Anyway we go to the bottom-right building in the slums because Barret mentioned something there for us.

We find our first blue (Support) Materia. Cool!

Blue Materias exist to be combined with others. For example, when you combine [All] with, let's say, Lightning, your Bolt will strike every enemy on the screen. Neat uh?

Like I told you, Cloud is the one who teaches stuff.

SPOILER ALERT LADY!!

These guys just sit there flexing their muscles chillaxing like good bros.

I think we're done here, so we just move to the take the train.

And with that AVALANCHE members are off to their next mission.

NEXT TIME:

Reactors, for real! Drama! Cliffhangers! Awesome music!

Chapter 3 - Bugs & Bytes:

Tifa's Limits

Tifa has a cool mechanic with her limits. Every time you gain a new limit with her and use it, she will also attack with ALL of the previous limits. Also when you use any of her limits you get a slot machine with Miss, Hit and YEAH where YEAH is a critical strike. It's fairly easy to get the timing on YEAHs once you get used to it.

Because you can get criticals at will and because the damage adds up, early on you have the highest damage potential from Tifa unless you do some serious Luck Manipulation.

Tifa's first limit set is also the one with lowest damage requirement needed to perform - about 40%. Later on we get an item called Hyper - Hyper reduces our chance to hit, but doubles the rate at which our limit bar fills up, so with Hyper this goes down to 20%.

Because of this (and other reasons later) Tifa is an excellent character to do some custom challenges with.

[All] Materia

The [All] Materia has a bug or debug leftover - if you reach its maximum level, you'll be able to sell it for 1,500,000 Gil.

While it's not a bug that Materia with higher AP sell for more, nothing really compares to that. 1.5M Gil is enough to make you rich for the whole entire game, even spend it frivolously.

And the best thing? The All Materia is one of the easiest Materia to level up.

Cool Music we listened to in this Chapter:

In case you couldn't guess.

Also this.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 3, 2011

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
Aw, at first I thought you were going for the Barret romance, but then you kept being nice to Tifa. :smith:

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Will you be stealing better equipment when its available? I havent played this game for almost a decade, and I still remember the enemies in Midgar that you can steal better weapons and armor from :v:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Question posted:

Aw, at first I thought you were going for the Barret romance, but then you kept being nice to Tifa. :smith:

You can manipulate Tifa's affection level to you at will during a certain point. At any rate, all 4 options are still available.

As much as I'd like to go for maximum gay level for Cloud, the sad truth is that Barret's date isn't all that interesting though :(

meatbag posted:

Will you be stealing better equipment when its available? I havent played this game for almost a decade, and I still remember the enemies in Midgar that you can steal better weapons and armor from :v:

Yeah, there's not much to steal in this game so I'll try to make good use of the few stuff we can get.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 30, 2011

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Looks like the menus have a different resolution than the rest of the game. I'm not sure if anything can be done, though... as you'd have to switch resolutions on the emulator, take a screen, then switch it back.

Enjoying this so far! I vote for a horizontal-striped blue/purple menu color, if that can be done.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I just can't help but like Cloud. Sure, he's mostly an rear end in a top hat, but like Elentor, I thought it was cool that he was the one giving the tutorial instead of recieving it. It mixed up the common trope of "clueless protagonist" in RPGs quite nicely. Besides, you got to love a guy that tries to stare down a bigger man by standing on tippy-toes. :3:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Cocky rear end in a top hat Cloud from the beginning of the game is the best Cloud :colbert:

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
Tifa is great in low level runs as soon as she gets the Powersoul. Drop Death Sentence on her, keep her health low and even add in other status and the damage just keeps getting stronger. And the best part is her limits can pretty much destroy most bosses this way. It is hilarious to see her toss something like Diamond Weapon around like a ragdoll.

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>
Reading this Lp makes me kinda sad. I'm not a big fan of the game (used a friend memory card to finish it, skipped end of cd1) but I got flashback of my 12 years old self playing this after finishing my homeworks.
The Anxious Heart tune just gave me chills of sadness. Weird.

The french translation is even more terrible than the English one though. So you're "lucky" in some way.

e:my bad, fixed

Coulis fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 30, 2011

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Coulis posted:

[it's been fixed]

Dude, there is a spoiler policy in effect.

Are there any particular gems from the French translation you can recall (and that can be appreciated by people who aren't fluent French speakers?)

Fedule fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 30, 2011

sc0ttmst
Nov 23, 2010

Elentor posted:

If you look at Cloud's concept art or at his sword model, you'll see that his sword has two holes in it. These are two holes for Materia. That's also why he starts the game with precisely two spells - Lightning and Ice.

You sir, just blew my mind. We're gonna be learning a lot from this LP, I can tell you that now!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sc0ttmst posted:

You sir, just blew my mind. We're gonna be learning a lot from this LP, I can tell you that now!

Glad you're enjoying :) I also updated Chapter 3's Bits & Bytes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I thought those holes were how he kept the sword on his back. There's two bolts sticking out somewhere on the back on his uniform that'd fit pretty well.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Elentor posted:

I went past this part last night and I still don't understand what it's about/referencing. Anyone know what they're talking about/doing?

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>

Fedule posted:

Are there any particular gems from the French translation you can recall (and that can be appreciated by people who aren't fluent French speakers?)

Sure: Cloud = Clad, Dayne = Dyne, Digestive = bicarbonate, Doorbull becomes "Sonette"(doorBELL), champion belt = Black Belt, etc...
Some dialogs don't even make sense in French like literal translation from English or sometimes... huge chunks of dialogs not even translated at all.
I don't know if it's the case with the others translations but Magics are also translated differently. Instead of Cure, Cura & Curaga, we have Soins, Soins + & Soins X. This applies to all the magics & all the later FF.

From what I got, the translation was made by Sony Europe (from english to french) and the translation was split between various teams, who didn't share anything between them. For FF8, the translation was from Japanese to French and was nearly perfect. But in the meantime, square had open an office in London.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

sc0ttmst posted:

I had always assumed that the holes were for Materia, but at the same time it didn't make sense to my 10 year old self because I had always pictured Materia as more marble sized. I have no idea why I thought that.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oxxidation posted:

I thought those holes were how he kept the sword on his back. There's two bolts sticking out somewhere on the back on his uniform that'd fit pretty well.

Honestly, the thing's controversial as hell.

In Crisis Core we learn that he keeps the sword attached with magnets, but "apparently" Nomura stated somewhere that no one has a link to that the holes are used to hold the sword to the back so these two canon information contradict themselves.

On the other hand, every character artwork shows their weapon with materia attached except Cloud (it shows the Buster Sword with empty slots).

Materia are also bigger in FF7AC than we see in FF7's Artwork and fit the two holes in the weapon. Basically, the whole thing is a major clusterfuck. That can be said about the entirety of the expanded universe.

When in doubt I say go with what is cooler. We know that weapons have Materia holes in it (even Tifa's gloves), and we know that the Buster Sword has two holes in it.

Joey McChrist posted:

I went past this part last night and I still don't understand what it's about/referencing. Anyone know what they're talking about/doing?

I have no clue, I was hoping someone would tell me.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 30, 2011

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Coulis posted:

I don't know if it's the case with the others translations but Magics are also translated differently. Instead of Cure, Cura & Curaga, we have Soins, Soins + & Soins X. This applies to all the magics & all the later FF.

At least in all the versions of this game I've seen, the spells are numbered: Cure, Cure 2, Cure 3. The -ara and -aga naming convention wasn't introduced until FFVIII.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Looking forward to this LP, and looking forward to seeing how much of a train wreck this thread will become.

Also, someone on the escapist did an in-depth analysis on why a remake of final fantasy 7 is not happening here. Even if you're not that fond of the escapist, it's worth a read.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What is this link and why is it not available in my country? :mad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym0hZG-zNOk

One thing I always look for in old games are what the equipment looks like. Their computer tower is so drat small compared to the CRT and my tower is bigger than my LCD. It is a tower from this angle.

edit: Thanks, and got it elsewhere on youtube.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 30, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Scalding Coffee posted:

What is this link and why is it not available in my country? :mad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym0hZG-zNOk

One thing I always look for in old games are what the equipment looks like. Their computer tower is so drat small compared to the CRT and my tower is bigger than my LCD. It is a tower from this angle.

The video for Michael Jackson's Beat It.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Joey McChrist posted:

Pretty sure it's absolutely nothing. There are a lot of NPCs that say weird things without context. It's strange but on the other hand it's better than every NPC just spouting off random information like most RPGs.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

OatmealRaisin posted:

I had always assumed that the holes were for Materia, but at the same time it didn't make sense to my 10 year old self because I had always pictured Materia as more marble sized. I have no idea why I thought that.

Probably because it would make a lot more sense if they were smaller. It's pretty hard to believe people can just go effectively sticking softball-sized gems in their weapons and armor and still have said weapons and armor be manageable.

Honestly, I think the designers and developers just didn't come to a solid consensus on the appearance at first or they wanted the Buster Sword slots to be really obvious (and kind of overshot the sizing as a result). We get some pretty clear indicators later that materia's actual size is...debatable.

Mchangin
Feb 18, 2010
If I didn't know how much of a "oh man cloud is so cool, so where are the explosions? :downs:" I was back when I playing this game, I think this is pretty much where I realize it, since we're just 3 updates in and I realize two things.

a) This game's actually pretty depressing from the get-go.
b) My impression on Cloud's so much better since I never really thought he was this much of a charming jerk.

Granted I was about 8 years old when I played this game, but drat...

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
As mentioned, I'm playing along with the LP, completely blind, and already, there's stuff I missed :D.

For example, both the guy showing you the tower (I went left first and got swept up by plot) and Johnny leaving (dunno why), I didn't get to see at all! After following the FFXIII LP, it's very strange having missable cutscenes...

I also missed getting the All materia, but I guess I'm just stupid. I check everything, but not blue glowing balls on the floor. It'll be there still later...I hope?

And I don't get Tifa's limit break at all. She always seems to do piss-poor damage. Then again, I suck at slot machines, but I don't even know what I'm supposed to be aiming for here.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Simply Simon posted:

And I don't get Tifa's limit break at all. She always seems to do piss-poor damage. Then again, I suck at slot machines, but I don't even know what I'm supposed to be aiming for here.

Tifa's Limit Break, as mentioned, is either just a normal attack or a critical hit, depending on whether or not you get a green "Hit" or yellow "YEAH!" Timing is everything in that case, as a "Hit" tends to not be very impressive in terms of damage. Later limit breaks in the chain, at least so far as I can tell, also seem to have a lot less "YEAH!" slots and a lot more "Miss" slots, so unless you're good at timing them, the later ones are going to be a tad less useful.

By the way, Elentor, will you be explaining how limit breaks are leveled up in a later update? I don't believe that the game goes into a lot of detail on how it works.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Tifa's Limit Breaks are also buggy since her reels can be all miss and still hit. The location of the hit and miss also determines if it will hit. You can have hit in the middle for a miss (example) or one hit on top and hit. It must be level related.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Adus posted:

Pretty sure it's absolutely nothing. There are a lot of NPCs that say weird things without context. It's strange but on the other hand it's better than every NPC just spouting off random information like most RPGs.

Wait, so nonsensical gibberish is better than (possibly boring) world-building information? I don't understand that logic. The fact that half the people in Midgar don't make a drat bit of sense is one of the reasons that section of the game kind irritated me.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Goons posted:

Tifa's Limit Break

Though I imagine most people would be playing it on PS, it's worth mentioning that all slots in FF7 were more or less broken on the PC versions, as they tended to move a lot slower, so it was too easy to line up "Yeah!" everytime.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Not in every case. There's world building information too. I'm just saying having some NPCs act like you caught them in the middle of a conversation is kinda refreshing as opposed to every single guy you come across just spouting random facts at you like some sort of tour guide.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Simply Simon posted:

I also missed getting the All materia, but I guess I'm just stupid. I check everything, but not blue glowing balls on the floor. It'll be there still later...I hope?

I don't know whether you can get the All materia later or not, but I suspect not. Even so, you're missing out by not getting it early. You miss on the opportunity to build up its AP - as it gains levels, you can use the All effect more times per battle. It's still not the end of the world, since there will be more All materias later (I believe there's a shop where you can buy them), but it's the first one.

Tifa's limit break also becomes more impressive as you use her in combat. She has seven limit breaks, like most characters, but instead of having to choose one, they're cumulative - you get a wheel for each limit she's learned, assuming you've set her limit level high enough. Since you've only got one limit right now, she only gets one wheel, basically a slot machine to see whether you get a critical hit or not. If you learn all seven, then she can get up to seven attacks, and with some skill, you can score critical hits on all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schwartzcough posted:

Wait, so nonsensical gibberish is better than (possibly boring) world-building information? I don't understand that logic. The fact that half the people in Midgar don't make a drat bit of sense is one of the reasons that section of the game kind irritated me.

For the most part the things they say make sense... they're just poorly worded.

There are many things in the game that also make MUCH more sense if you have a grasp of the Japanese culture. You lose a lot of the subtleties if you don't, which is a shame.

Midgar is a very well fleshed out city in that aspect. It's much more fleshed out than the rest of the FF7 world, which is kinda standard JRPG. This is more or less why I'm showing these minor conversations that a lot of people miss (Johnny's "arc" for example).

So you have all these stereotypes. Cloud was the young boy from the small town who wanted to live in the big city fulfill his dreams. Back when I traveled I met a lot of friends who were like this. Johnny is the opposite - he went to the big city following his love-interest but found a harsh environment and couldn't do better than the slums so instead, he decided to move away once again. Again, it's a common story in Rio and São Paulo.

Like when your group enters the train and everybody leaves. I haven't had a friend who was never robbed in the subway, so after a while you get paranoid. You look and go "oh yeah, I relate to that".

The point is that some of these "interactions" make much more sense in a Japanese context. There are certain stereotypes that are much stronger there - for example, stalkers. Japanese people who post videos on YouTube/other video sites often favor wearing masks because of stalkers. To them, Internet fame is not worth the risks of losing your privacy.

That scene however is completely bizarre, I have no idea why the two just drop on the floor. It might be something cultural, it might be a reference to a movie or a book, or it might be the field writer going mad. Who knows?

Nidoking posted:

I don't know whether you can get the All materia later or not, but I suspect not. Even so, you're missing out by not getting it early. You miss on the opportunity to build up its AP - as it gains levels, you can use the All effect more times per battle. It's still not the end of the world, since there will be more All materias later (I believe there's a shop where you can buy them), but it's the first one.

Tifa's limit break also becomes more impressive as you use her in combat. She has seven limit breaks, like most characters, but instead of having to choose one, they're cumulative - you get a wheel for each limit she's learned, assuming you've set her limit level high enough. Since you've only got one limit right now, she only gets one wheel, basically a slot machine to see whether you get a critical hit or not. If you learn all seven, then she can get up to seven attacks, and with some skill, you can score critical hits on all of them.

I explained that :(

• Locked thread