Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Oo.m

I don't mean to be all LF, I'm just tired of everything I read either saying one side is perfect and the other can't do anything right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

uXs posted:

Any recommendations for someone who has Hercule Poirot novels and the Da Vinci Code as their favorite books?
You might like Mr. van Gulik's Judge Dee series.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Wojtek posted:

Also interested in prisoner stories, but I'd like to stay away from "THE US PRISON SYSTEM IS SO EVIL!" soapboxes or just really gruesome WWII/abuse stories.
For future reference, I recommend Brother One Cell as a "prisoner story". Granted, it's not in the U.S. but it's very good.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Tutu posted:

Are there any 'romance' books that I really should read? I've read Pride and Prejudice and most Shakespeare but I've never really thought about it before.

What about Madame Bovary, Anna Karenina, or Lolita?

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

an ode to the artisans of
luxury, a willed madness,
a fabulous dinosaur...

Wojtek posted:

Short notice but I need to pick up a good true crime book tonight. I haven't read a book in probably 5 years.

I'm mostly interested in heist/robbery type stuff rather than murderous things, but if it's bizarre enough, I'm definitely interested. Also interested in prisoner stories, but I'd like to stay away from "THE US PRISON SYSTEM IS SO EVIL!" soapboxes or just really gruesome WWII/abuse stories.

Thanks in advance.

This doesn't exactly fit, but Newjack by Ted Conover might work. He's an immersion journalist who worked for a year as a prison guard at Sing Sing.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

I like
    Thomas Ruggles Pynchon
    Infinite Jest
    Umberto Eco
    The Illuminatus! trilogy
    Philip K Dick
So, any good sprawling postmodern novel recommendations, Book Barnites? No, not Neal Stephenson.

Watermelon City fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 30, 2011

McGiygas
Sep 25, 2010

by T. Mascis
I've been looking for a non fiction book similar to Danse Macabre by Stephen King. I really want a good book about a genre from someone who's involved in it. Romance, sci fi, fantasy, doesn't matter. It also needs to be in the Kindle store.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Watermelon City posted:

I like
    Thomas Ruggles Pynchon
    Infinite Jest
    Umberto Eco
    The Illuminatus! trilogy
    Philip K Dick
So, any good sprawling postmodern novel recommendations, Book Barnites? No, not Neal Stephenson.

Vonnegut is great, but not exactly "sprawling." Don Delillo's Underworld, is a prime example, I think, and Jonathan Lethem's Chronic City might also be worth checking out. I'm gonna assume that Mark Danielewski's House of Leaves will get a few mentions, too.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Watermelon City posted:

I like
    Thomas Ruggles Pynchon
    Infinite Jest
    Umberto Eco
    The Illuminatus! trilogy
    Philip K Dick

You can't go wrong with DeLillo. I'd go with White Noise or Mao II if you've never read him before, some of his longer stuff can be really dense. Here's an excerpt from Mao II I like.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Ok so I hardly ever read books. When I find a book I like I read it in a day. So here's some books I've read lol.

The Harry Potter books
Lord of the Rings
The Hobbit
Choke
Rant
The God Delusion
Angels & Daemons
The Da Vinci Code

I like fantasy stuff sometimes if it's not too childish or outlandish. I like darker books with sexual tension or books that are about the universe or something interesting.

I really have literally no clue and not much to go off of as I haven't read a novel in like 3+ years.

So yeah, if anyone has a clue I'd be grateful. :) I need something to read in the summer sun!

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Alizee posted:

I like fantasy stuff sometimes if it's not too childish or outlandish. I like darker books with sexual tension or books that are about the universe or something interesting.
The Song of Ice and Fire books by George R.R. Martin. They're dark, full of murder and sex, but they're an easy read and are much closer to literature than any other fantasy book you could find.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Watermelon City posted:

I like
    Thomas Ruggles Pynchon
    Infinite Jest
    Umberto Eco
    The Illuminatus! trilogy
    Philip K Dick

I'm going to recommend 3 Williams:
Vollmann, Europe Central
Gaddis, The Recognitions
Gass, The Tunnel

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I just finished The Big Short by Michael Lewis, and now I want to read up on some of the big banks that were involved in the subprime loan mess. Google pulled up a couple that looked promising

Fool's Gold: How the Bold Dream of a Small Tribe at J.P. Morgan Was Corrupted by Wall Street Greed and Unleashed a Catastrophe
The Greatest Trade Ever: The Behind-the-Scenes Story of How John Paulson Defied Wall Street and Made Financial History
House of Cards: A Tale of Hubris and Wretched Excess on Wall Street
Money and Power: How Goldman Sachs Came to Rule the World
All the Devils Are Here: The Hidden History of the Financial Crisis
Fatal Risk: A Cautionary Tale of AIG's Corporate Suicide

Which one(s) are worth reading? Any good one's I missed?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

xcheopis posted:

You might like Mr. van Gulik's Judge Dee series.

Seems available on Kindle... sweet.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 22, 2016

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

2666 by Roberto Bolaño
I think we have a winner. Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I've saved all the other recommendations.:)

Alizee, if you like Dan Brown, consider Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum. I've not read Brown, but I know his books have similar world-conspiracy themes involving the Church, Templars and other shadowy figures.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Watermelon City posted:

I like
    Thomas Ruggles Pynchon
    Infinite Jest
    Umberto Eco
    The Illuminatus! trilogy
    Philip K Dick

Just for the heck of it I'm gonna recommend a few books that aren't really what you asked for, but I think you'll like them anyway.

Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
Ghostwritten by David Mitchell

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Well, I just finished Ender's Game and it was basically one of the best novel's I've ever read. I'm looking for more literature on this caliber(I really enjoyed the whole Ender going insane and losing touch with reality ) without actually going into the rest of the 95 books written in the universe. Recommendations?*

*Not limited to Sci-Fi

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Brace posted:

Well, I just finished Ender's Game and it was basically one of the best novel's I've ever read. I'm looking for more literature on this caliber(I really enjoyed the whole Ender going insane and losing touch with reality ) without actually going into the rest of the 95 books written in the universe. Recommendations?*

*Not limited to Sci-Fi
The direct sequel, Speaker for the Dead, is good and you should read it. It basically stands alone even though there's more books after it. The rest of the books you can skip.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I also really enjoyed "Armor" by John Steakley, and its kind of the exact same premise as Ender's Game

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Quantify! posted:

The Song of Ice and Fire books by George R.R. Martin. They're dark, full of murder and sex, but they're an easy read and are much closer to literature than any other fantasy book you could find.

Thanks for the recommendation! I read the reviews and some points did sound up my alley, but I'm not really in the mood for Olde English Medieval stuff atm :p

Watermelon City posted:

Alizee, if you like Dan Brown, consider Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum. I've not read Brown, but I know his books have similar world-conspiracy themes involving the Church, Templars and other shadowy figures.

Thanks as well, I think I might try to find this one. It seems like something I might be able to sink my teeth into.

It's either that or I just go buy a ghost written celebrity autobiography haha.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...

dokomoy posted:

I just finished The Big Short by Michael Lewis, and now I want to read up on some of the big banks that were involved in the subprime loan mess. Google pulled up a couple that looked promising

All the Devils Are Here is excellent. I would also highly recommend Too Big to Fail which is probably the best summary of the Financial Crisis there is, and Griftopia by Matt Taibbi for a more opinionated view.

All the books you have listed are the usual suspects on any financial crisis reading list. I'll just mention two others:

The Great Hangover a collection of articles on the financial crisis from Vanity Fair (they really did have some of the best coverage of the whole thing), and Liars Poker by Michael Lewis, which is already a classic.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 22, 2016

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.
Can you guys recommend some good books for someone who isn't particularly patient with reading and doesn't read much in general? My boyfriend wants to read more, but he has trouble finding books that hold his attention. Not to mention, reading out of obligation (for school) has kind of put him off the whole thing. He's pretty open-minded about it; I asked him if he would give some books a chance this summer if I could find some that I think he'd like, and he said he would be happy to.

I'm envisioning giving him stuff where the plot moves along pretty consistently. I have a feeling he'll get bored with something that goes into too much detail without sort of cutting to the chase.

So far I'm planning on giving him Love is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield, because it's short, entertaining, sweet, and about music and love. If it helps, he's a young guy (high school senior) and he likes indie music, spiritual-type stuff, abstract ideas, love stories, weed, art, quirky people, and cars.

(Sorry if this has already been discussed, I didn't go through the entire thread.)

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Budget Bears posted:

If it helps, he's a young guy (high school senior) and he likes indie music, spiritual-type stuff, abstract ideas, love stories, weed, art, quirky people, and cars.

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

What are some good book about Rome? I've got some Heather, Goldsworthy, and Holland stuff, but I'd like to know more! And there's so much to choose from!

Also I liked 'Ill fares the land' by Judt, and was thinking of picking up the Galbraith set (Galbraith: The Affluent Society and Other Writings 1952-1967), since it sounds like a sortof critique of disaster capitalism deal. Anything else along those lines I should take a look at?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Budget Bears posted:

I'm envisioning giving him stuff where the plot moves along pretty consistently. I have a feeling he'll get bored with something that goes into too much detail without sort of cutting to the chase.

So far I'm planning on giving him Love is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield, because it's short, entertaining, sweet, and about music and love. If it helps, he's a young guy (high school senior) and he likes indie music, spiritual-type stuff, abstract ideas, love stories, weed, art, quirky people, and cars.

(Sorry if this has already been discussed, I didn't go through the entire thread.)

He likes weed, spiritual stuff, and stories that get to the point, eh? Get that boy some Philip K Dick. Most of his novels are between 180 and 210 pages long and generally feature tons of weird drugs and/or mind-fuckery, not to mention a healthy dollop of philosophy. Eye in the Sky, Ubik, and (if he's seen Blade Runner) Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? are worth checking out. Barring that, he wrote tons of short stories- The Philip K Dick Reader is something of a greatest hits collection. Another one I'm fond of recommending is David Eagleman's Sum, which is both funny and thought-provoking, not to mention broken up into chunks only a few pages in length. Also, so long as people aren't all "sci-fi? gross!" I never hesitate to suggest the short stories of my man Ray Bradbury.

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

What are some good book about Rome? I've got some Heather, Goldsworthy, and Holland stuff, but I'd like to know more! And there's so much to choose from!

Robert Graves "I, Claudius" and "Claudius the God" are both great (and watch the old BBC miniseries too, if you get the chance. A lot of libraries carry them on dvd) also the works of Livy: "The Early History of Rome", along with the excellent Suetonius' "The Twelve Caesars".

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Brace posted:

I also really enjoyed "Armor" by John Steakley, and its kind of the exact same premise as Ender's Game

I second this, Armor was great. It's one of the few books I've read twice.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Also I liked 'Ill fares the land' by Judt, and was thinking of picking up the Galbraith set (Galbraith: The Affluent Society and Other Writings 1952-1967), since it sounds like a sortof critique of disaster capitalism deal. Anything else along those lines I should take a look at?

I liked Julian by Gore Vidal, but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for or not.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

School's over and I have free time to burn, so I need books. My most read genres are history, non-fiction, science fiction and fantasy, although I'll read just about anything if it's interesting or well-written. I have a list of 100 "classic" books that I'm working through, but would still like some recommendations.

The books that I've read most recently are The Windup Girl, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, Billions and Billions, Wheel of Time: The Gathering Storm, Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea, The Black Swan, Chronicles of the Black Company and When You Are Engulfed In Flames. Thanks.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

MatCauthon posted:

School's over and I have free time to burn, so I need books. My most read genres are history, non-fiction, science fiction and fantasy, although I'll read just about anything if it's interesting or well-written. I have a list of 100 "classic" books that I'm working through, but would still like some recommendations.

The books that I've read most recently are The Windup Girl, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, Billions and Billions, Wheel of Time: The Gathering Storm, Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea, The Black Swan, Chronicles of the Black Company and When You Are Engulfed In Flames. Thanks.

Man-Eaters of Kumaon
http://www.archive.org/stream/maneatersofkumao029903mbp/maneatersofkumao029903mbp_djvu.txt
http://www.amazon.com/Man-Eaters-Kumaon-Oxford-India-Paperbacks/dp/0195622553

and not a book, but check out the Hardcore History Podcast, I recommend the series about the fall of the Roman Republic (starts on show 34):
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dan-carlins-hardcore-history/id173001861

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
This thread is so long, and search isn't helping. I am looking for some good reads regarding the following:

Politics (Democratic, Liberal/Progressive, Presidential Biographies, campaign reads, etc)
Wars (Particularly American involvement, WW1, WW2, etc)
Education (Cognitive theory, the politics of;, learning styles, etc)

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
For politics, I always recommend Richard Ben Cramer's What It Takes. It's a great book about what drives the personalities behind a presidential election (as he put it, what it takes for somebody to really have a shot at being president). It's long and detailed, but it's never overwhelming.

Also it's long, so it'll bide you until the Suns start playing again.

JoeWindetc
Jan 14, 2007
JoeWindetc
I loved Lehane's Kenzie/Gennaro series. I just finished the last(?) of the series, Moonlight Mile, and I'm looking for something along those lines. Not a traditional detective novel per say, but rather gritty, modern, etc.

P.S. Read the rest of his stuff too.

JoeWindetc fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 5, 2011

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

hunter x az posted:

This thread is so long, and search isn't helping. I am looking for some good reads regarding the following:

Politics (Democratic, Liberal/Progressive, Presidential Biographies, campaign reads, etc)
Wars (Particularly American involvement, WW1, WW2, etc)
Education (Cognitive theory, the politics of;, learning styles, etc)
For wars, do you want general overviews, or personal "Boots on the Ground" sort of thing? For overviews, Ken Burns's The War, the companion piece to the documentary of the same name, is really good. Don't worry about it being a companion, I didn't even know there was a documentary until I had finished with it and I still understood, learned from, and loved it, so it's not like it's just supplementary information or anything. For personal ones, The Last Good War is a collection of several WWII vets' stories and from what I've read it's pretty good--I haven't gotten around to sitting down and really reading it, but I enjoyed what I have read. With the Old Breed by EB Sledge is a good account of Peleliu and Okinawa from a mortarman's perspective, and Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell is a great story of a Navy SEAL operation in Afghanistan that went tragically wrong. For a mixture of both, Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden does a good job of balancing general overview with testimony from the soldiers involved. Hope this helps.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

hunter x az posted:

David Halberstam's The Best and the Brightest, about "the foreign policy crafted by the academics and intellectuals who were in John F. Kennedy's administration, and the consequences of those policies in Vietnam."
Rick Perlstein's Nixonland, showing how Nixon "manipulated the political and social events between 1965 and 1972 in a way that shaped the political divisions of the present day."
Ted Morgan's Reds: McCarthyism in Twentieth-Century America.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...

hunter x az posted:

Game Change about the 2008 election is a very entertaining political read. More political beach read, but lots of fun.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

JoeWindetc posted:

I loved Lehane's Kenzie/Gennaro series. I just finished the last(?) of the series, Moonlight Mile, and I'm looking for something along those lines. Not a traditional detective novel per say, but rather gritty, modern, etc.

P.S. Read the rest of his stuff too.

Try George Pelecanos' stuff, it's realistic crime fiction set in D.C. rather than Boston. Also, if you haven't read it yet, pick up Clockers by Richard Price, great crime novel.

To the thread: I'd like to request a recommendation for a good history of the Renaissance, politics, culture, the works. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

Budget Bears posted:

Can you guys recommend some good books for someone who isn't particularly patient with reading and doesn't read much in general? My boyfriend wants to read more, but he has trouble finding books that hold his attention. Not to mention, reading out of obligation (for school) has kind of put him off the whole thing. He's pretty open-minded about it; I asked him if he would give some books a chance this summer if I could find some that I think he'd like, and he said he would be happy to.

Definitely seconding High Fidelity.

Also have him check out Fight Club, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson, Illusions by Richard Bach, Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, possibly Siddhartha by Herman Hesse (it's a bit slow but also quite short), Bongwater by Michael Hornburg.

DrGonzo90 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 5, 2011