Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Matlock posted:

Cross-posting from my thread in Coupons/Deals--Amazon has a sale on all of their 4G phones this Memorial Day.

Sprint Samsung Epic - $0.01
Sprint Samsung Nexus S - $49.99
Sprint HTC EVO White - $59.99
Sprint HTC Evo Black - $79.99
Sprint HTC Evo Shift - $49.99

The Nexus S is still showing up as $99.99 for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Ugh, on some of the phones there's a disparity between Existing/New customers and some there aren't. It kinda sucks, really.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MrMoose posted:

So, I have a Nexus S and am really liking it -- the signal issue isn't seeming as pronounced as it was when I first got it a few days ago. Haven't ported my number over from Verizon yet, though. I have a question before I do.

I know there is the whole Google Voice integration stuff, but I was wondering. Can I port my number over to Google Voice, keep the local number I set the Nexus S up with, and still integrate Google voice properly with the phone?

Basically, I'd like to keep from having to give out a new number to people who have had my old number for years, but have a local number to give out to local people.

If this isn't possible, I assume I could still set up a Google Voice account to port the old number to so I still own it, and can set up forwarding or some such, right?

You absolutely can, I have a Pennsylvania number with sprint that my family still uses but my primary number is local (Tennessee). Picture messaging will not work via google voice is the main bummer. The other tricky thing is Sprint sometimes get confused with Google voice and any mobile any time, I forget whether it is calling or receiving but they don't always register as cell phones.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Aside from "Samsung", is there anything that makes the upcoming SGS2/Within a worse choice than the Evo 3D? I like how thin the SGS2 is and I love the screen but being a Samsung product, I'm naturally afraid of it.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Fancy_Lad posted:

Since I was a Premier member that just got switched to Silver, I understand that until the end of June I should be able to get a 2 year upgrade next month.

Assuming the EVO 3D comes out in time, I'm a nice enough guy that I would be willing switch to that and pass my EVO 4G onto my wife... My question on this is how would her TEP work in this situation? Would it still apply for a phone that was bought on a separate account and transferred over to her?
Yes, TEP will apply just fine. No worries. It doesn't matter where the phone came from.

MrMoose posted:

I know there is the whole Google Voice integration stuff, but I was wondering. Can I port my number over to Google Voice, keep the local number I set the Nexus S up with, and still integrate Google voice properly with the phone?
Yes, you can do that. That's what everybody did before this Sprint-GV integration stuff was introduced.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Aside from "Samsung", is there anything that makes the upcoming SGS2/Within a worse choice than the Evo 3D? I like how thin the SGS2 is and I love the screen but being a Samsung product, I'm naturally afraid of it.
Hard to say until the US versions start coming out. Based on what everyone's saying about the international SGS2 right now, it sounds like the first good Android phone that Samsung's made on their own.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

td4guy posted:

Yes, TEP will apply just fine. No worries. It doesn't matter where the phone came from.

Awesome - thanks! Now I just need to convince her that she doesn't need a hardware keyboard :)

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet
Thanks for the email update that the Evo3D is coming soon Sprint. Really very helpful.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Sort of cross-posted from the Android thread, but:

I have terrible Sprint service at my condo, despite their coverage map saying it should be perfect. (Honestly, it's the biggest population center in the state, why is it so lovely?) I get between 0 and 1 bars...but VZW has fantastic service there...any way to force my phone to roam? Or maybe convince Sprint to give me a femtocell or whatever they're called, even though according to them I should be getting 5-6 bars?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Matlock posted:

Cross-posting from my thread in Coupons/Deals--Amazon has a sale on all of their 4G phones this Memorial Day.

Sprint Samsung Epic - $0.01
Sprint Samsung Nexus S - $49.99
Sprint HTC EVO White - $59.99
Sprint HTC Evo Black - $79.99
Sprint HTC Evo Shift - $49.99

So a Nexus S off contract is $600. Early termination fee is $200, so if I really wanted to I could start a new contract, cancel my new contract, and keep the Nexus S to add to my existing account for $250 or $300? Surely Sprint has a way of stopping this?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

spidoman posted:

So a Nexus S off contract is $600. Early termination fee is $200, so if I really wanted to I could start a new contract, cancel my new contract, and keep the Nexus S to add to my existing account for $250 or $300? Surely Sprint has a way of stopping this?

I've never done it myself, but from what I understand if you buy the phone/new contract through Amazon like that with their discounts, if you then cancel the contract within something like 6 months or whatever, you've got to either return the phone or you're charged the dollar difference from Sprint's price + the normal etf, ending up basically breaking even with what you would have paid buying directly from Sprint. Not 100% on this though.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

DrBouvenstein posted:

I have terrible Sprint service at my condo, despite their coverage map saying it should be perfect. (Honestly, it's the biggest population center in the state, why is it so lovely?) I get between 0 and 1 bars...but VZW has fantastic service there...any way to force my phone to roam? Or maybe convince Sprint to give me a femtocell or whatever they're called, even though according to them I should be getting 5-6 bars?

Call retentions and tell them you'd like to get one and you're thinking of cancelling your service. They should give you one no problems. The number is in the OP.

DragonKeeper
Aug 4, 2004
MOLE GAVE ME THIS ACCOUNT OK GUYS

DrBouvenstein posted:

This is actually covered right in the OP, near the bottom I think. Basically you just need to call the number posted for retentions, complain about the terrible signal (or lack thereof) that you are getting, and they should send you out a shiny new airrave(broadband connection required). I've actually been considering doing this myself since I got my new phone. The signal strength was bad enough before, but at least the centro never dropped calls inside my house. The evo shift, which I really do like a lot otherwise, just doesn't get quite the same signal, on average about 1 bar less than the centro did. Zero complaints otherwise, I just live in a cellular deadzone, even outdoors I only get like 3 bars tops.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My sister had a Sprint friends and family account (sister in law works at Sprint) but she cancelled a few months ago to go to Verizon. Turns out that Verizon has terrible signal by her house and she is considering going back to Sprint.

She could probably get back on the plan she was on before, but she'd rather not owe her sister in law any favors.

Whats the best option she may have to get back on Sprint if she called in? Obviously retentions is out because she cancelled her service a while back, but I figured there might be a good "Come back to us" option.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

My sister had a Sprint friends and family account (sister in law works at Sprint) but she cancelled a few months ago to go to Verizon. Turns out that Verizon has terrible signal by her house and she is considering going back to Sprint.

She could probably get back on the plan she was on before, but she'd rather not owe her sister in law any favors.

Whats the best option she may have to get back on Sprint if she called in? Obviously retentions is out because she cancelled her service a while back, but I figured there might be a good "Come back to us" option.

There is a good "come back to us option," as long as she ports her number she gets a $125 credit for switching and getting a smartphone(I think that applies to EPRP plans too). Best plan options is either EPRP (see OP) or 20% or higher discount if she qualifies via work. Please note that Sprint went to the chopping block on unauthorized discounts recently, so there is no way to get a discount unless you qualify (or the Sprint rep wants to get fired). Plus side is its really easy to qualify for a discount, and if not there is EPRP.

So yeah, $125 port credit, if she switches before June 5th and orders online her activation fee is waived as well. If she works in public services (local/state/government, health care of any type, education, etc) she qualifies for an extra $50 credit for a total of $175. I do not think the $125 credit applies if you get the phone at a big box (like best buy), but don't quote me on it. Via Sprint the best phones are Evo Shift at $150 or Nexus at $200 currently. Just don't buy Samsung phones with Sprint right now, even for free the Epic just still has a lot of bugs.

So some depends on time frame, but those are the current promos. The free activation fee goes till june 4th, port credits all go until June 24th ish. The only amazing phone to consider for sure coming up is the Evo 3D, which will be a big difference because it is dual core. If she is a high end user that's a great option, if not the Nexus or Evo Shift is more than adequate in my opinion. There is no official launch date on the Evo 3D, everyone (including me) was guessing June 5th, but for whatever reason that seems less and less likely. Sometime in June is all we are hearing.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Question for the Sprint people in the thread.

How common is it for an Airave to screw up the GPS on a phone connected to it? Managed to get one from Retentions, but once it was hooked up my Evo decided it was on the other side of the state.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Technogeek posted:

How common is it for an Airave to screw up the GPS on a phone connected to it? Managed to get one from Retentions, but once it was hooked up my Evo decided it was on the other side of the state.

No idea, I guess you could call tech support at 877-735-8405. Maybe also try signing onto your wifi network?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Technogeek posted:

Doesn't that loving suck? I think it's more common than people realize, just most people don't use location services while they're at home (or maybe if they're in a densely populated area and have wifi enabled, wifi location overrides network location, I dunno).

Back when I had an Airave, it put me about 30 miles away with a HUGE radius. I always suspected that it was going off of the location of whatever server the Airave was connected to rather than its GPS signal. I mean obviously an Airave isn't going to be able to do the celluar triangulation that towers do.

Man that really screwed with my Latitude sharing...

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

No idea, I guess you could call tech support at 877-735-8405. Maybe also try signing onto your wifi network?

Mine also has me at around 25 to 30 miles away, and it's always the same spot. Even having WiFi on doesn't change my location for weather.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Duckman2008 posted:

I did both. One tech said it was a known issue, but I haven't about it from anyone in the thread (that I saw before now at least) and it took about six calls before I got to that point, so I'm not sure how common the issue is.

Technogeek fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 1, 2011

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

If the 3d doesn't actually come out this week (yes I'm counting saturday as this week) and isn't fantastic I'm just gonna say gently caress it and get the shift already

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

change my name posted:

If the 3d doesn't actually come out this week (yes I'm counting saturday as this week) and isn't fantastic I'm just gonna say gently caress it and get the shift already

I may be being negative but at this point, it seems like you would be getting a Shift then :(

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Well I just got a facebook thing about all the new launch content and features they're including with the 3d so maybe??? Who knows

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.

change my name posted:

Rumor going around today is that it will be the 4th week of June, 24th-ish. Just hold out, you won't regret it. (I hope)

~old rear end phone krew~

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
My wife's EVO has a cracked, but functioning glass digitizer. The LCD underneath is completely fine.

She doesn't have insurance on it. Anyone know what a sprint service center would charge to place the digitizer?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

change my name posted:

The Shift is already guaranteed never to get Sense 3.0, so Gingerbread is likely to be the last update it will ever see.

Right now, with hardware advancing as fast as it does, buy the latest and greatest when you buy something. You'll get a lot more for the extra $50 you pay for the 3D.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

The Shift is already guaranteed never to get Sense 3.0, so Gingerbread is likely to be the last update it will ever see.

Right now, with hardware advancing as fast as it does, buy the latest and greatest when you buy something. You'll get a lot more for the extra $50 you pay for the 3D.

You are definitely right on this, just curious if I missed some announcement on the Evo and Evo Shift not getting Sense 3.0? Or is it just likely not feasible because Sense 3.0 is big as hell?

Next Sprint date when they change stuff is June 24th or 25th, so if the Evo 3D launched in late june, could be one of those 2 days.

Edit: Yeah, Sense 3.0 wouldn't fit on my Evo without partitioning the SD Card and ran on poo poo (even for alpha ran like poo poo). Bummer, lots of cool stuff in 3.0 that I liked a lot.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 1, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

You are definitely right on this, just curious if I missed some announcement on the Evo and Evo Shift not getting Sense 3.0? Or is it just likely not feasible because Sense 3.0 is big as hell?

Next Sprint date when they change stuff is June 24th or 25th, so if the Evo 3D launched in late june, could be one of those 2 days.

http://www.theandroidsoul.com/no-sense-3-0-for-htc-desire-desire-zg2-desire-hd-evo-4g-and-droid-incredible/

I wouldn't doubt storage restrictions, Sense 2 is huge as it is.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom
OK so I got the Nexus S for free via our advocate program. I want to yell "pull" throw it in the air and shoot at it with a shotgun. It has such a lovely radio in it I'm considering really activating my lovely Blackberry style again until I can swindle my way into a 3d. I sold my Evo so I can't go back to that. But yeah its basically useless to me as a phone.

Its like a hot girl with herpes. You have to decide if its worth it.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Chappy posted:

OK so I got the Nexus S for free via our advocate program. I want to yell "pull" throw it in the air and shoot at it with a shotgun. It has such a lovely radio in it I'm considering really activating my lovely Blackberry style again until I can swindle my way into a 3d. I sold my Evo so I can't go back to that. But yeah its basically useless to me as a phone.

Its like a hot girl with herpes. You have to decide if its worth it.

So is this likely a hardware problem, or something that could be fixed in an update? I've been considering one for my girlfriend, but if this is going to be an ongoing thing then I don't even want to go there.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend
Didn't Tmobile's Nexus S have insane 3g problems when it first came out?

JibbaJabbaJimmy
May 21, 2001
I read that the Evo also had widespread reports of a weak radio when it was first released but this was fixed with OTA updates.

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009
Theorycrafting for the guys that are wondering about the 3D release date. Last week HTC announced no more locked boot loaders on their android phones, but told us the 3D would ship with one. While it could just mean HTC are just simply lazy, I believe it tells us this phone is already going into the final phases of production and HTC just doesn't want to mess with the phones now. However, since they haven't even announced a release it probably won't be for quite a few weeks. Reason being the phone production isn't ready yet or Sprint wants to capitalize on the Nexus for the time being. I'm going to guess the earliest date to be 25th but I wouldn't be surprised if it's early next month.

EDIT:^^^ the t mobile Nexus S version suffered a few but mostly involving the finicky wifi radio. Though I believe Samsung has a track record of just having awful radios. Tons of complaints on the Epic in the same category and I can bring up a few times my old Moment had the same issues. I really hope their new phones like the new Galaxy series renews their name because I know Samsung can do better than this.

jaku78 fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 1, 2011

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I think the radio issue on the Nexus S is a phone by phone basis thing. I've had to swap out my Nexus S for a brand new one because my original had an LCD defect in the screen. I haven't had any problems with voice, 3G, or wifi on either of the phones.

Granted, I dropped to 1x many times on my first Nexus S but that was because I was driving through Iowa in the middle of no where. However, I had 3G for most of the trip and voice services worked fine too.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom

JibbaJabbaJimmy posted:

I read that the Evo also had widespread reports of a weak radio when it was first released but this was fixed with OTA updates.

It wasn't like this at all. It was a small batch of Google I/O devices that had that issue. It was fixed when they were updated to release software.

This is nearly every nexus s. And its to the point where the phone is unusable. I'm sitting 10 feet from my router and I barely have wifi signal. I have no cellular signal right now.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

jaku78 posted:

Theorycrafting for the guys that are wondering about the 3D release date. Last week HTC announced no more locked boot loaders on their android phones, but told us the 3D would ship with one. While it could just mean HTC are just simply lazy, I believe it tells us this phone is already going into the final phases of production and HTC just doesn't want to mess with the phones now. However, since they haven't even announced a release it probably won't be for quite a few weeks. Reason being the phone production isn't ready yet or Sprint wants to capitalize on the Nexus for the time being. I'm going to guess the earliest date to be 25th but I wouldn't be surprised if it's early next month.

EDIT:^^^ the t mobile Nexus S version suffered a few but mostly involving the finicky wifi radio. Though I believe Samsung has a track record of just having awful radios. Tons of complaints on the Epic in the same category and I can bring up a few times my old Moment had the same issues. I really hope their new phones like the new Galaxy series renews their name because I know Samsung can do better than this.

To counter that, the Evo 3d will not be shipping with a lock bootloader, which means they still have the phones and have time to modify the software on each and every one.

Source here: http://www.phonearena.com/news/HTC-EVO-3D-to-launch-with-unlocked-bootloader_id19170

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

ShowTime posted:

To counter that, the Evo 3d will not be shipping with a lock bootloader, which means they still have the phones and have time to modify the software on each and every one.

Source here: http://www.phonearena.com/news/HTC-EVO-3D-to-launch-with-unlocked-bootloader_id19170

See the problem with that was while it was true he said they would unlock it, doesn't mean it wouldn't ship with a unlocked loader nor that it would be unlocked on the launch so really that article is pretty much lying and shows it in the screenshots. And the article that takes source from makes that quite obvious as it specifically states this:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/05/27/htc-ceo-confirms-evo-3d-will-have-an-unlocked-bootloader-one-way-or-another/

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

ShowTime posted:

Nowhere does HTC or Chou say the EVO 3D will ship with an unlocked bootloader. Chou said in his e-mails to two random people that the EVO 3D would be covered under the new unlocked bootloader policy. It's very possible that it's too late to flash them all to unlock them before launch and that an OTA update soon after will unlock it. I'm not saying this is the case, but it really could go either way and no indication has been given for which way that will be.

Edit: ^ drat you!!! :argh:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chappy posted:

It wasn't like this at all. It was a small batch of Google I/O devices that had that issue. It was fixed when they were updated to release software.

This is nearly every nexus s. And its to the point where the phone is unusable. I'm sitting 10 feet from my router and I barely have wifi signal. I have no cellular signal right now.

I've had two exchanges for evos, and one friend complaining about the nexus signal, but definitely not every customer. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Chappy posted:

Honestly any room outside of the room that my router is in my signal strength goes way the gently caress down. It makes me quite sad.