Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
More specifically, if you're caught under the business end of a NATO airstrike, you're just as dead in a T-80 as in a T-55. You'd also probably fare just as well shooting against a M1 Abrams in the T-55 as in the T-80 (also dead). So why not use the older hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
One also has to understand the main difference between the T-64 (and subsequent T-80) and the T-72 (and subsequent T-90) design purposes. The T-64/T-80 was always designed to be the frontline and best armour available, and the T-72 was purposefully built to fill in production line queues to fill rear-echelon units. The T-72 was always the mass produced tank to fill in gaps, while the T-80 was the only one designed to really go head on head with western tanks. That being said though, the T-72s 120mm gun is still a very powerful thing, and has capabilities of firing ATGMs as well. The armour, sighting and electronics have lots of room but still, that wasnt he design purpose of them

T-72s also, with stripped versions, were designed for export to allied nations. Thats why you never saw T-64s and T-80s being sold abroad.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ensign Expendable posted:

There are still T-55s and T-72s in service? :psyduck: I thought the oldest stuff the Russians fielded were T-80s.

A modernized T-55 is still a useful workhorse for infantry support when engaging MBT's is not expected, like in Chechnya. Improved fire control systems, ATGM's fired from the gun barrel, Kontakt ERA, better engine, modern night vision etc. help to extend their life time, with small cost compared to renewing the entire tank arsenal.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

INTJ Mastermind posted:

More specifically, if you're caught under the business end of a NATO airstrike, you're just as dead in a T-80 as in a T-55. You'd also probably fare just as well shooting against a M1 Abrams in the T-55 as in the T-80 (also dead). So why not use the older hardware.

Kind of interested in this since I don't know much about tanks - is M1 Abrams considered to be the best tank currently in service right now?

(and a joke question, how many WWII tanks it would take to beat one?)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I personally wouldn't say there is a 'best' tank really.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

When was the last time MBTs engaged each other? It looks like Georgian tanks were all destroyed before they reached the front lines, so the 2003 invasion of Iraq? And before that, the Persian Gulf War? It's not a particularly common occurrence in the modern world, so a tank built for infantry support is probably more useful on today's battlefield anyways.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

DarkCrawler posted:

Kind of interested in this since I don't know much about tanks - is M1 Abrams considered to be the best tank currently in service right now?
Like with all weapons system, it is difficult to say. What does "best" even mean in this case? Could an Abrams take on a T-72 one on one and win? Probably. Could it do the same with a Leopard 2 or a T-90? Who knows? Crew training and tactical factors will play a huge role here.

DarkCrawler posted:

All of them? The M1A2 comes with a 120mm cannon, fires armor-piercing sabot rounds, and has some 600mm of goddamn depleted uranium armour. Compare with a Tiger II from -45, which had an 88mm cannon, firing inert tungsten rounds and had some 180mm non-reactive steel armour. To top it off, the Abrams does 30mph off-road, the Tiger did 12.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

DarkCrawler posted:

All the NATO tanks are pretty much the same thing. The biggest difference is if they use diesel or turbines, and even that doesn't make a huge difference performance wise.

Tanks are obsolete anyway. :colbert:

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

DarkCrawler posted:

It would take several WWII tanks, but I think 5-10 WWII tanks, in the right terrain (dense, exceedingly short line of sight), with infantry support, could kill one alone. It would just take a couple hits on the tracks to immobilize the Abrams, and then the infantry sneak up and throw some grenades in the hatch. The issue is one of terrain - anything the Abrams sees is dead within 5 seconds, so you need to spot it with the stealthy infantry, maneuver such that you have as many tanks as possible all getting LOS at the same time at as short of possible range from as many different angles as possible, then you hope somebody gets the hit you want before you're all dead. Really, not too different from what the Russians had to do back in the day to kill Tigers and King Tigers, just much less margin for error.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

The question is almost as practical as asking how many angels can fit on the head of a needle. Even a BMP-1 could defeat a WW2 Tiger II due to its ATGM's, not to mention mobility, smaller size and other factors that make it harder to hit. If it ran out of missiles, the 73mm HEAT rockets its main gun fires would still be able to take any WW2 tank out albeit at shorter distance. So if a 1960's IFV can do that, the only limitation a 21st century MBT would have is limited main gun ammunition.

Even the most modern MBTs can be defeated, but usually the crew walks away on their own feet which is considered to be a great benefit compared to WW2 Shermans. It's easier to build replacement tanks than it is to find veteran crewmen.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

gohuskies posted:

It would take several WWII tanks, but I think 5-10 WWII tanks, in the right terrain (dense, exceedingly short line of sight), with infantry support, could kill one alone. It would just take a couple hits on the tracks to immobilize the Abrams, and then the infantry sneak up and throw some grenades in the hatch. The issue is one of terrain - anything the Abrams sees is dead within 5 seconds, so you need to spot it with the stealthy infantry, maneuver such that you have as many tanks as possible all getting LOS at the same time at as short of possible range from as many different angles as possible, then you hope somebody gets the hit you want before you're all dead. Really, not too different from what the Russians had to do back in the day to kill Tigers and King Tigers, just much less margin for error.

Not to continue a really dumb conversation but this specific instance is one of many reasons that tanks operate in sections. If infantry are crawling all over one tank in the section, then the other can "scratch it's back" and hose it down with coax fire.

On topic: Does anyone know anything about the last 2 Chechnyan wars? Or Northern Ireland?

vains fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 31, 2011

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Won't the crews just be cut down by the enemy tank's coaxial machine gun when they try to bail?

Edit: In your WW-II scenario, I guess the Abrams will run out of gas or ammo eventually. Now if you have a hypothetical Abrams that has infinite fuel and ammo, and a magical crew of elves that don't need to eat, sleep, or poo poo, then I guess 1 tank can carry on for the whole war launching hit and run attacks.

Edit2: I guess if it's still early WWII then your one hypothetical Abrams can just drive straight for Berlin, shrugging off hits and gunning down everything it sees, until it pulls up to Hitler's house and shoots him in the face. Now that would make a cool movie.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 31, 2011

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
For those of you interested in Napoleonic history I recommend this website:

http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/index.html

It features a summary of Napoleons armies, and the armies of his main adversaries of the era, what their forces were made up of, and how they fought etc.

By the way, does anybody know of a good website that has pictures/descriptions of napoleonic era uniforms and equipment? I searched everywhere but cant find any comprehensible sites, its just bits and pieces here and there.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Veins McGee posted:

On topic: Does anyone know anything about the last 2 Chechnyan wars? Or Northern Ireland?

Do you have a specific question? "Anything" is pretty broad. :)

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

INTJ Mastermind posted:

a magical crew of elves that don't need to eat, sleep, or poo poo
Speaking of this, I had some time ago an argument with a friend over whether having a toilet in an IFV such as the Swedish apparently have in their Strf 90 is a retarded idea or not. My position was that making sure that the crew didn't have to wait for one of their members to return from a poo if poo poo hit the fan was a pretty good idea. Are there any examples of military manoeuvres that went wrong because someone just had to drop a log at the wrong moment?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Nesnej posted:

Speaking of this, I had some time ago an argument with a friend over whether having a toilet in an IFV such as the Swedish apparently have in their Strf 90 is a retarded idea or not.

Uh... are you really sure about that? :crossarms: The CV90 is in use by several armies, and I have not heard of any version of it having 'toilets' installed.

If there was such a version, well yes, that would be retarded because space is precious inside any combat vehicle, so the 'toilet seat' would have to double as a passenger seat, and men would have to shuffle around to take turns, and they would have to be crapping in front of the entire squad.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
The "poop chute" will also compromise its survivability against say an anti-tank mine. I'd hate to be the one sitting on that seat when one of those goes off.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Nenonen posted:

Uh... are you really sure about that? :crossarms: The CV90 is in use by several armies, and I have not heard of any version of it having 'toilets' installed.
Nope, which is why I said "apparently". It's supposed to be a fairly recent model. I haven't been in the Swedish army so I can't say for sure.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

The "poop chute" will also compromise its survivability against say an anti-tank mine. I'd hate to be the one sitting on that seat when one of those goes off.
E: I found a discussion on the topic on a Swedish military forum. Apparently the toilet is a piece of plastic piping and a trash bag, so it's just a slightly more advanced form of poopsocking. I still maintain that this is a superior method compared to leaving the IFV to take a crap.

Jasper Tin Neck fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 1, 2011

Kippling
Jun 24, 2005

And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so?

Nesnej posted:

Speaking of this, I had some time ago an argument with a friend over whether having a toilet in an IFV such as the Swedish apparently have in their Strf 90 is a retarded idea or not. My position was that making sure that the crew didn't have to wait for one of their members to return from a poo if poo poo hit the fan was a pretty good idea. Are there any examples of military manoeuvres that went wrong because someone just had to drop a log at the wrong moment?

If you were caught short at a very inopportune time in an IFV or tank, surely you'd just take a poo poo in an empty ration pack or the driver's helmet or whatever else. Let the NBC kit take care of the smell. No need to install extra facilities.

Cool thread, BTW. I've recently ordered a couple of books based on the recommendations here.

I have a nebulous question for the experts here relating to autonomous systems, such as the UAV drones used by a few nations now. When were these first used and why? What use do you think military people would have for autonomous/remote control systems in the future, in both the short and long term? Where do you think the research money is going to be spent?

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

gohuskies posted:

..and then the infantry sneak up and throw some grenades in the hatch.

Uh you know in a modern MBT this is next to impossible right? Those hatches are not gonna be pried open like some call of duty game.

Anyways onto a question of mine. It seems like in a lot of WWII movies and shows (Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers) you'd have entire platoons and companies bunched up real tight, let alone squads. In modern infantry ops when in most terrain you want a couple metres (3-5m in daylight open terrain i believe was what I remember from my infantry course) between guys, so that could spread a squad out pretty far. It seems in all these shows/movies, squads are right next to eachother, sometimes shoulder to shoulder.

Is this like I think it is just because of cinematography so they can get as many people into the shot as possible or was this generally the tactics at the time in terms of bunching? I just keep thinking how in a modern scenario, any LMG could easily burst a few rounds and take out like half of the section in these films, let alone a grenade).

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

swagger like us posted:

Is this like I think it is just because of cinematography so they can get as many people into the shot as possible

Yes.

Zionist_en_fuego
Jul 8, 2004

ونحن سرقوا الفلافل

swagger like us posted:

Is this like I think it is just because of cinematography so they can get as many people into the shot as possible or was this generally the tactics at the time in terms of bunching? I just keep thinking how in a modern scenario, any LMG could easily burst a few rounds and take out like half of the section in these films, let alone a grenade).

Speaking from my experience w/ a few different military forces, I think it's more realistic than most people would like to admit, but it's poor field-craft, not a tactical decision. If you look at clips from firefights in Iraq and Afghanistan, soldiers just love to bunch up. It's a really really tricky part of human nature to unlearn.

For example - in all the training exercises i've participated in, we kept nice professional distances, we moved quickly and methodically, and everyone repeats the commands so the LMG and DM at the corners can hear. In combat, everyone just bunches the gently caress up unless told otherwise. Being more than 3m from the closest friendly can make you feel alone and abandoned, which is by far the worst feeling in a firefight.

I'm talking about fighting in open terrain of course. Urban combat formations are much denser by design.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Zionist_en_fuego posted:

Speaking from my experience w/ a few different military forces, I think it's more realistic than most people would like to admit, but it's poor field-craft, not a tactical decision. If you look at clips from firefights in Iraq and Afghanistan, soldiers just love to bunch up. It's a really really tricky part of human nature to unlearn.

For example - in all the training exercises i've participated in, we kept nice professional distances, we moved quickly and methodically, and everyone repeats the commands so the LMG and DM at the corners can hear. In combat, everyone just bunches the gently caress up unless told otherwise. Being more than 3m from the closest friendly can make you feel alone and abandoned, which is by far the worst feeling in a firefight.

I'm talking about fighting in open terrain of course. Urban combat formations are much denser by design.

Interesting. I haven't deployed yet so its interesting to hear about what actually happens in terms of battle drills and fieldcraft once in combat. Any other examples you have in terms of the differences in a real life TIC/firefight?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

swagger like us posted:

Uh you know in a modern MBT this is next to impossible right? Those hatches are not gonna be pried open like some call of duty game.

Yeah I mean it isn't COD but even an Abrams is going to be a bad place to be when alone, blind, and immobile, with men outside with explosives and bad intentions.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
What happens when modern tanks get hit by artillery?

What kind of ranges do modern artillery pieces have?

Have the actual shells gotten much better, or are they just firing more accurately / at longer range than in WW2?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

ManicParroT posted:

What happens when modern tanks get hit by artillery?

What kind of ranges do modern artillery pieces have?

Have the actual shells gotten much better, or are they just firing more accurately / at longer range than in WW2?

The first two questions aren't really military history and you can find out artillery ranges from Wikipedia if you want. But I'll comment on the last one: in many ways yes, yes and yes.

Basic HE shells haven't changed drastically, if at all, but since late WW2 proximity fuses have become a common item. Before proximity fuse was invented, artillery shells either used contact fuses, which either detonated on impact with the surface or if set to act on delay, could penetrate eg. a bunker or tank roof before detonating. Or they used timed fuses, which were supposed to explode just at the right time after firing, preferably just over the target so shrapnel would fly down into enemy trenches and foxholes. But as you can imagine, this was fiddly to get right - if you set the time too short, the shells exploded too high in the air, if too long then they would just detonate on impact. But with proximity fuses all of this is automated, the fuse has a sort of radar and when it says there is an obstacle a few metres away, it detonates.

Then there's new shell types, like bomblets, anti-tank missiles and so on, and rocket artillery which was still novel in WW2 has improved greatly. Maximum ranges have vastly improved, and with laser guided shells you can get pin-point accuracy. Then there is 'Multiple Rounds Simultaneous Impact' which means that a single self-propelled gun could fire a number of shells into the air, along different trajectories which land on the same spot at the same time. There's all kinds of things, too numerous to list them all, that make an older artillery general drool.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

When was the last time MBTs engaged each other? It looks like Georgian tanks were all destroyed before they reached the front lines, so the 2003 invasion of Iraq?

It was 2008, where did you get the impression that air power did all the work? Many of them were destroyed in city fighting and I can find a picture of at least one destroyed by another tank.

Good (or lucky) shot as well. Right in the turret ring.

There was some tank fighting in 2003, and a number of tanks were taken out by CAATs as well. Before then the various Balkan wars put a lot of tanks against each other, including Leopard 1s and T-72s.

1991 probably had the most major tank-to-tank fighting in the last 20-some years, though I am more familiar with the Marine and Tiger Brigade perspective on that, and at the end of the day I still don't know very much.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Before then the various Balkan wars put a lot of tanks against each other, including Leopard 1s and T-72s.

I haven't heard about that. Are you sure?

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Nenonen posted:

I haven't heard about that. Are you sure?

Sorry, I phrased that poorly. I did not mean T-72s fought Leopards, just that they both fought in the theatre.

Unless of course you were asking about Leopard 1 combat at all, in which case:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Amanda

And of course the M-84, the Yugoslav variant of the T-72, was used throughout the wars.

vains
May 26, 2004

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

It was 2008, where did you get the impression that air power did all the work? Many of them were destroyed in city fighting and I can find a picture of at least one destroyed by another tank.

Good (or lucky) shot as well. Right in the turret ring.

There was some tank fighting in 2003, and a number of tanks were taken out by CAATs as well. Before then the various Balkan wars put a lot of tanks against each other, including Leopard 1s and T-72s.

1991 probably had the most major tank-to-tank fighting in the last 20-some years, though I am more familiar with the Marine and Tiger Brigade perspective on that, and at the end of the day I still don't know very much.

Post about the Battle of the 73 Easting or Battle of Khafji please.

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Do you have a specific question? "Anything" is pretty broad. :)

Hmm...what, if any, changes to doctrine/organization/material(ex BMP-T or BTR-T) resulted from lessons learned in Chechnya? How did Chechnya influence western thought regarding counter-insurgency?
What was Russian civilian reaction to the fighting? Was it analogous to American reactions to Vietnam or OIF/OEF or did the Russians not really give a gently caress or what?

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Veins McGee posted:

Post about the Battle of the 73 Easting or Battle of Khafji please.

I know nothing about 73 Easting and everything I will be able to tell you about Khafji can be found in this work. It is basically a preview chapter of the upcoming definitive history of the Marine Corps in the Gulf War and will have a companion book of oral history interviews.

I was interning for the author at the time which is why I know anything at all. If you want a truncated version I can type something up, but I will just be copying wholesale from the History Division piece.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Our battalion sergeant major when I was in ROTC was a TC at 73 Easting, he was in Troop G which was one of the troops that found itself right in the middle of it all. We didn't know this until late in the year, and of course we grilled him relentlessly about it when we found out as it was sensationally cool and there were no veterans of any armor on armor battles anywhere else.

Basically what happened was the 2nd Armored Cav Regiment was doing a pretty classic recon in force mission out ahead of the main body of 1st ID and 3rd AD. This was classic WWII/Cold War doctrine: the scouts go out ahead of the main body, they fix the enemy position, and then the heavies roll on through. As expected, they ran into enemy armor, but instead of fixing the position and waiting for the big fist to come on through, they just started wrecking poo poo.

Unit circled here in red:

It really wasn't a particularly remarkable battle except that it showed just how effective the decades of anti-Soviet armor development had really been. The M1 was pretty much invulnerable to any of the Iraqi guns, and the M1's main gun wasn't just penetrating the Iraqi armor: it was going in one side and out the other in most cases. They also had an element of Apaches with them who joined in the wrecking of poo poo to great effect.

While this isn't surprising to anyone today, at the time we really did not have a good pulse on how our newest weapons (specifically the M1) stacked up against the Soviet stuff. Throughout WWII and for most of the Cold War it was assumed that American armor was quite inferior to what the Soviets had (rightly so), and we really did not know what to expect from the M1 when it came up against the Russian hardware. Essentially it turned out like the "WWII tanks versus M1" discussion above, which was a bit shocking because we were expecting the Russian armor, particularly the T-72, to be the equal of the M1 (as such we were expecting significant armor losses).

One thing that SGM said has always stuck with me: "It would have really sucked to be in one of them Iraq tanks".

bewbies fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 1, 2011

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

bewbies posted:

Essentially it turned out like the "WWII tanks versus M1" discussion above, which was a bit shocking because we were expecting the Russian armor, particularly the T-72, to be the equal of the M1 (as such we were expecting significant armor losses).

It's worth mentioning that the T-72s used by the Iraqi forces were not only poorly crewed but were export or indigenous versions, lacking in advanced optics or sighting equipment, and firing steel penetrators rather than missiles and DU.

I think, although it would probably win, an Abrams fighting a late-Soviet T-72 would have a harder time than the USA did in the Gulf War with an enemy that was essentially happy to stand around in flat terrain while Abrams picked them off beyond the reach of their ineffectual guns.

I'm not saying that T-72s would have proven equal or near-equal to the M1, but it is unfair to treat the Iraqi versions, poorly crewed, as remotely equivalent to Soviet stuff.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

GyverMac posted:

For those of you interested in Napoleonic history I recommend this website:

http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/index.html

It features a summary of Napoleons armies, and the armies of his main adversaries of the era, what their forces were made up of, and how they fought etc.

By the way, does anybody know of a good website that has pictures/descriptions of napoleonic era uniforms and equipment? I searched everywhere but cant find any comprehensible sites, its just bits and pieces here and there.

I'll be happy to try and answer any old Napoleonic era uniform and equipment questions.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
Are there any good non-biased books about the Sino-Vietnamese war and or PAVN's incurson in to Cambodia/Kampuchea.

A Fistful of Dicks
Jan 8, 2011

A Fistful of Dicks posted:

Thought I answered already re: Russo-Georgian war. I'll try to dig up the old post...

Here it is:

dividebyzero posted:

First off, the Baltic countries have been NATO members since 2004, it's not really that recent of a development and is one that, considering the Balt's experience with Russia, should've been expected.

I haven't read the books, but as a modern Russia hand, I've learned to view anything put out by Stratfor in general, and Friedman in particular, with a jaundiced eye when it comes to Russia/Eurasia. Their analysis is comically bad at times, and they should stick to their strengths: Middle East/Southwest Asia because their Russia/Eurasia hands are quite terrible.

That being said, I'm glad the steady drumbeat of "Russia is resurgent" has finally started to quiet down two years after the Russia-Georgia War. By "resurgent", people (I'm not necessarily implying anyone here has done so) seemed to ignore the important context: Russia was only "resurgent" insofar as reestablishing itself as the indisputable global power in Eurasia/Central Asia, as opposed to the absolute anarchy, wreckage, and decay of the post-Soviet period.

That a million man army, with nearly 100,000 troops available in theater (North Caucasus Military District - Russia's best trained and best equipped military district), was able to defeat a country with no more than 30,000 troops, the best of which were tooling away in Iraq in the middle of the fighting, should not have been particularly exciting. What's noteworthy about the war is how badly "the Bear" had its nose bloodied by the Georgians before they were able to get their poo poo together: the Russian Air Force did a horrible job, they lost four aircraft including a Tu-22M Backfire, a major embarrassment. They sucked for several reasons: a) the RFAF had no clue what air defenses the Georgians had and hadn't bothered to conduct enough recce to figure it out in advance, b) Russian pilots were using Soviet-era maps and targeting data that were woefully inaccurate, c) Russian pilots had been accustomed to doing low-tech, dead-reckoning Chechnya-style ground attack sorties where they didn't have to worry about souped up fifth generation French and Israeli SAMs. Incidentally, this total lack of training on using modern navigation aids is a big part of the reason why RFAF Long Range Aviation pilots are now flying way more hours and using things like GPS and *chortle* GLONASS, because they literally had no idea how to do so when the 2008 war started). C4I was a disastrous mess: Russian ground forces C4I equipment was horribly antiquated and prone to breakdowns, and the Russian General Staff was in the middle of relocating offices when the war started, so they didn't have comms up to communicate with the troops in the NCMD, so they had to resort to cellphones and text messages. Basically, had Saakashvili himself not bungled the initial invasion, and the Georgians succeeded in capturing Tskhinvali and pressing north to block off the routes from the Roki Tunnel, the war would've lasted much longer and been far bloodier, mostly for the Russians.

How "experts" took that charlie foxtrot and extrapolated from it that "the Russians were back!" is beyond me. Their military is better than it was in the 90's, but it still has decades to go before they can dare hope for anything even close to matching, say NATO, in terms of conventional arms and equipment, and that'll depend on how well or poorly the military reforms that are currently being implemented will go. In the meantime, Russia's qualitative inferiority in conventional arms is why they're still very nuke happy and probably won't dare sign a Non-Strategic Nuclear Weapons reduction treaty no matter how prettily Obama asks. But what happens when another 'Georgia-style' scenario happens in a region that your best trained troops don't have convenient access to as was the case in North Ossetia, a place where Russia can't just lob nukes and be done with it?

The Air Force's abysmal performance of what should have been a fairly straight forward SEAD operation, including the embarrassing loss of one of their premier strategic bombers, really cuts against the argument that Russian intel was effective.

A Fistful of Dicks
Jan 8, 2011
Sorry, I hosed up my previous post. I'm on my phone so poo poo is confusing.

crab hat CRAB HAT!
Feb 19, 2008
Doctor Rope

Nesnej posted:

Speaking of this, I had some time ago an argument with a friend over whether having a toilet in an IFV such as the Swedish apparently have in their Strf 90 is a retarded idea or not.

The toilet in the Strf 90 and variants is just a hole in one of the seats and a holder for a plastic bag underneath. It's intended to be used when the vehicle is operating within a CBRN contaminated area and opening the doors and hatches would be inadvisable. You poo poo, put the bag in a cut off piece of pvc pipe, tape it up and toss it out when you can. It's not intended for combat making GBS threads.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

combat engineer posted:

combat making GBS threads.

Aaah, one of the most mysterious and honorable tasks in the Swedish Armed Forces :v:
I didn't know the CV90 had a toilet, I guess it didn't in 04/05 or they never bothered to put in the LVKV...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

It's worth mentioning that the T-72s used by the Iraqi forces were not only poorly crewed but were export or indigenous versions, lacking in advanced optics or sighting equipment, and firing steel penetrators rather than missiles and DU.

I think, although it would probably win, an Abrams fighting a late-Soviet T-72 would have a harder time than the USA did in the Gulf War with an enemy that was essentially happy to stand around in flat terrain while Abrams picked them off beyond the reach of their ineffectual guns.

I'm not saying that T-72s would have proven equal or near-equal to the M1, but it is unfair to treat the Iraqi versions, poorly crewed, as remotely equivalent to Soviet stuff.

From what I've read elsewhere, Battle of 73 Easting isn't really a testament to the prowess of Abrams. Cav units, equipped with Bradleys, killed most of the enemy armor. That mean's they were doing so from within 3600m or whatever the max effective of a TOW is against T-72s with similar max effective ranges.

But, you're other points still stand true. Export T-72s are inferior to Soviet/Russian military T-72s and, not only that, are inferior to T-64s and T-90s which were/are used in their front line tank formations.

Regarding Battle of Khafji: Thanks, that piece cleared up a lot of questions I had. Except for some memoirs, there isn't a lot of history available about LAR.

vains fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 1, 2011

• Locked thread