Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
You should also consider that a dragon has higher toughness, more wounds and a scaly skin save. A griffon has the ability to get shot out from underneath him by a volley of bows on turn 2 unless you stay behind your lines. But then why pay 200 points for the mount?

Yes, yes exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joebungaloe
Apr 3, 2007

Yog-Sothoth posted:

oath crosspost, i'm also midway through a batch of 40 clanrats. then stormvermin, some more slaves and a couple of cannons left to paint :(

This needs more love. Great paint job!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Chenghiz posted:

Yeah that's been my experience too. The 200-point mount isn't really worth it for an 18" bubble, I think.

I'd keep him on foot and give him the bare minimum equipment and just load your army with Captains to keep the ld chain going.

A Captain in a Greatsword Unit will make them a very tough fight for anything in the game, especially if you have a BSB nearby in a massive unit of spearmen.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
So I picked up a Finecast Green Knight and Urien Rakarth just to check it out. My buddy picked up a Seer Council. I was expecting not to worry too much as there aren't a lot of hard, solid lines on a GK and I would prefer a lighter material after lugging my Sisters of Battle around.

The legs have a giant airbubble in the top, its mostly concealed by the join to the torso but there is still a good 2-3mm hole missing from the top of the left thigh. Would require greenstuff to fill, not glue, I'm talking a deep deep hole.

One half of the sword hilt is completely smooshed. Its just a big clump of resin rather than the fleur-de-lys mirroring the other side of the hilt. The torso is mostly fine other than this flaw.

The banner poles are bent, but it would be the same in metal.

Worst of all, the horse has a grainy texture and is full of holes. Like, hold it up to the light and see all the way through it holes.

The Farseer was extremely crisp, great other than a single but large airbubble in the top of the helm, easily corrected. One of the warlocks is dramatically misaligned, like one half is 1-2mm higher than the other. Irreparable. The other two warlocks are mostly good.

On the other hand, Urien is stunning and I didn't find any flaws except for a bent needle which straightened out fine. Looks extremely fine in resin.

Overall, I've concluded that Finecast has potential to be great, but I will absolutely avoid buying any old models that have been recast in resin. I will also probably avoid buying anything but clamshell packs where I can inspect the model before buying. Taking the Green Knight back to the store tomorrow and I will avoid buying finecast for the near future, until the quality control is tightened.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Miles O'Brian posted:

Overall, I've concluded that Finecast has potential to be great, but I will absolutely avoid buying any old models that have been recast in resin. I will also probably avoid buying anything but clamshell packs where I can inspect the model before buying. Taking the Green Knight back to the store tomorrow and I will avoid buying finecast for the near future, until the quality control is tightened.

Here's a quick tip. Have a sales rep, or manager or someone not you, open the package and let you inspect it before buying anything.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

I don't really want to stand there like a picky douche rejecting 3 boxes in a row whilst the reps stand around sighing and thinking how much of a dick I am as I scrutinise each millimeter of the model with a slow, keen eye.

I'd rather just not buy if the quality isn't there.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
If i get a Finecast model, and at the moment that's a big if, then i'll be going the "only in a clam-shell" route too. Sadly it means i can only buy in-person, but so be it.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

As long as they sell me a sub-standard product I'm happy to ring up and tell them that and demand a replacement.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I have to wonder if GW will continue with their current replacement scheme. In the UK, it's up to the retailer, not the manufacturer, to replace a faulty item, so GW could easily tell people that they have to go through the independants if that is where you buy it from, and i can't see them being too happy about all the returns that they will be getting.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I could have sworn that GW US was discontinuing their direct replacement policy, and all returns would have to be done through the purchasing store. Maybe it was just a rumor.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Crackbone posted:

I could have sworn that GW US was discontinuing their direct replacement policy, and all returns would have to be done through the purchasing store. Maybe it was just a rumor.

They stopped doing it for the metals a while ago but maybe they are starting up for finecast again. Does anyone know if they are replacing whole sets of finecast or just the ruined bits?

I doubt they would force retailer returns if they are going to be replacing individual parts again.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Real hurthling! posted:

They stopped doing it for the metals a while ago

Did they? I have two Forest Dragons with only one complete pair of the Sisters of Twilight that say otherwise.

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

I love the smell of Catnip in the morning....Smells like Victory.
I got my first Finecast stuff today and I'm actually quite impressed with it.

I got a Varghulf which I was a bit worried about, not being able to check it first.
Got home and opened it up, no air bubbles and the details were very crisp.

My Malagor was fine too but I inspected them and picked the best one on the shelf.

I only managed to find two or three out of all the finecasts in the store with noticeable bits of the mold stuck to them and some badly miscast features.

If GW can improve the QC process on these then I'd be glad to buy more. They even had an Azhag model that they let me throw around the store a bit and it didn't even get a scratch.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Tadhg posted:

Did they? I have two Forest Dragons with only one complete pair of the Sisters of Twilight that say otherwise.

Ditto, I just got a mounted mannfred von carstein replaced 3 weeks ago, and I still need to call about this vlad whose hand is a big glob of metal.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Crackbone posted:

Just FYI their official policy has been for some time that you're supposed to bring any mis-casts or mis-packages back to the store you got it at anyways so they can just give you a replacement on the spot. But people keep trying to get free stuff, who knew V:v:V

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

S.J. posted:

Just FYI their official policy has been for some time that you're supposed to bring any mis-casts or mis-packages back to the store you got it at anyways so they can just give you a replacement on the spot. But people keep trying to get free stuff, who knew V:v:V

is this only for GW stores? when I asked at my FLGS they said I had to call GW.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do Cold Ones riders fit on Silver Helms horses? I'm trying to make some Dark Riders without spending $15 a model.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Do Cold Ones riders fit on Silver Helms horses? I'm trying to make some Dark Riders without spending $15 a model.

just use silver helm legs.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Real hurthling! posted:

just use silver helm legs.

Better idea. What should I do about the wings on the horse heads to dark elf it up?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Better idea. What should I do about the wings on the horse heads to dark elf it up?

paint them purple?

Do you already own the silverhelm horses? marauder horses might look more evil.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Real hurthling! posted:

Do you already own the silverhelm horses? marauder horses might look more evil.

Might they be too big to fit elf legs on, though?

I've got the riders from the dark elf battalion box, and that's it so far.

e: Marauders seems to work:

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 1, 2011

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

^^^ Looking good.

If you don't have a mage, or if your last mage has been killed, do you still roll for Winds of Magic on your turn? The purpose would be dispelling opponents remains-in-play spells during your magic phase, since you wouldn't have anything else to throw the dice at.

I know that an army can still attempt to dispel spells during an opponents turn using the dispel dice generated that way, but haven't been able to find a specific entry regarding the WoM on your turn.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

the Winds of Magic are present even when you don't have a Wizard. it's a part of the setting, really.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tadhg posted:

^^^ Looking good.

Not mine, and I don't like the cloak or the posing, but at least the legs fit, and I have enough bits to get something on the torso working.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

angrylinuxgeek posted:

the Winds of Magic are present even when you don't have a Wizard. it's a part of the setting, really.

Kind of what we figured when it came up in our game- Wardancers killed off a Sorcerer of Tzeentch, so he used the otherwise useless dice on his turn to keep dispelling my Life buffs.

But I've been seeing posts on assorted hams forums mentioning taking a mage "to have access to the WoM." I understand always taking a caster to take advantage of the ability to cast spells and not be left behind in the magic phase, but the language I'm seeing people use caused me to wonder if we had played it wrong.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Yeah you still roll in your own phase if you have no wizards, precisely to allow you to dispel enemy RIP spells.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lungboy posted:

Yeah you still roll in your own phase if you have no wizards, precisely to allow you to dispel enemy RIP spells.

This. It sucks though because you can't channel

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lungboy posted:

Also if you dont have a wizard you still have to roll because things like the Black Coach and other various magic items draw power from the magic phase.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

angrylinuxgeek posted:

is this only for GW stores? when I asked at my FLGS they said I had to call GW.

No, all stores. Whoever told you that was either misinformed or lazy.

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

Starting Lizardmen, how effective is a single Stegadon? And at what point level is it good to start bringing a Slaan Mage-Priest along? I'm torn between two battalion boxes, and my friend's deal that involves a Stegadon with it. I'm also cautious about buying a Slaan now, or waiting until it does or does not become part of the Citadel Finecost™.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
All the metals are going Finecost. The one thing you might luck out on is that the units of monsters that have been listed for release (i.e. Ushabti) are actually cheaper than before. Still doesn't fix the pretty horrible casting issues though-- I'd be opening any package in store to make sure there are no miscasts on my fig if I was buying from a B&M store (at this point, why would you bother?)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Deino posted:

Starting Lizardmen, how effective is a single Stegadon?

Depends on the points level. If you are only bringing one make it an eotg because if you've only got one cannonball magnet in your list it better have a ward save.

quote:

And at what point level is it good to start bringing a Slaan Mage-Priest along?

as soon as it his cost is unlocked by the points level. Lizardmen have a fairly humdrum feel when you play them without a slann. The slann commands respect from opponents because it turns the list into something so much more versatile and powerful.

The only reason to wait for finecast slann is if you don't want to take the time to scratchbuild your own base for the extremely heavy metal one that is impossible to balance on the flimsy flight stand that it comes with.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It's not that hard to mount a Slann mage. Just throw away the stupid flying base stick and use a piece of brass rod instead. Just paint the rod black of fancy up the base to hide it - hardly needed, as it will be pretty much invisible when ranked up with the Temple Guard.

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

Thanks for the help. Because I'll have the two battalions by next week, I guess I'll look into getting a Slaan as well. Would it be very difficult to convert a normal Saurus, or an Honour Guard into a Scar-Vet? Or one of the Skinks into a Priest?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Nah, it's pretty easy. The Saurus Cav and Temple Guard sprues come with a whole lot of extra bits and bling, so it's easy to take that stuff and use it to spruce up a Saurus Warrior to make him look special. I actually had enough spare bits from the Temple Guard sprue to turn four regular Saurus basically into TG, to bulk out the unit nicely.

The stegadon kit comes with all the options for it; so it will include the pieces for both a Skink Chief and a Skink Priest. If you are planning to build it as an Engine of the Gods, you will be using the Skink Priest on it, but you could easily turn the pieces for the Chief into another Priest; just cut off the top of his spear, stick a glyph of sigil up there, glue some feathers on. Tada!

If you wanted to keep the Chief for whatever reason, you can also do that pretty easily with a regular skink, too.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Hey dudes, I've come into the possession of a bunch more Tomb Kings stuff so I have the following for sale:

-New 2011 un-used Tomb Kings Armybook: $32 shipped SOLD
-Tomb Kings Battle Magic Cards - Un-used but without box: $15 shipped

If anyone is interested email me at argharghargh707 at gmail dot com

Thanks.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 2, 2011

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
What's a good non-GW model for a Wood Elf Lord with a bow? If wood elves ever get redone with way more plastic I want to play them, and in the meantime, it'd be nice to have a self painted model for use in my D&D games.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Epi Lepi posted:

What's a good non-GW model for a Wood Elf Lord with a bow? If wood elves ever get redone with way more plastic I want to play them, and in the meantime, it'd be nice to have a self painted model for use in my D&D games.

Take your pick:
http://www.reapermini.com/figurefinder#search/Elf%20Bow

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

The Waywatcher Lord is mad good though, I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to use him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

So I haven't played since 6th edition I think (I wanna say it was back in '06. Wood Elves and Ogres were already out) and a couple friends and I are starting back up again. I played a Clan Skyre Skaven army back then and I'm looking for something different and since there's no fun in playing an army that can't kill itself, I'm going night goblins.

I haven't read the new rules yet but I've read the new codex. Here's my first stab at an army.

Goblin Warboss
- Martog's Best Basha (+1 Ws, St, In)
Night Goblin Shaman x2
- Level 2 Wizard
- Dispel Scroll x2 (1 per)
Goblin Big Boss
- Wolf

Night Goblins x80 (20 mobs per unit)
- x3 Fanatics, Bows
Wolf Riders x9
- Bows, Spears, Shields

Spear Chukka x2

Doom Diver

Any tips from anyone?

PS: What's this new horde rule? I understand the steadfast rule, but the horde thing is entirely foreign to me.

• Locked thread