Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Mods is interesting, fo' sho'.

Personally I've always wondered what the hell is up with the Initial Equip weapons--especially the part about why you can't sell them, but why they also only show up on Cloud and Barret as if they were special. I have no idea where to start looking for a thing like that, but I'm sure it has less to do with programming stuff and more to do with scrapped ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

Elentor posted:

Anyway what would you guys want for the next Bugs & Bytes? I'm thinking about talking about Mods.

Any cultural references or easter eggs that you don't mention in the main part of the LP. I think it's really cool to hear about how a game like FF7 reflects wider Japan-at-the-time.

Also more poo poo about Rio because I'll be damned if that stuff isn't fascinating.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Elentor posted:

FF8 discussion, I don't want this to turn into a bad thread :smith:

Sorry, I got carried away, I won't bring it up again.

Also, yeah, mods, totally mods. I haven't seen anything for this game before.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

The White Dragon posted:

Personally I've always wondered what the hell is up with the Initial Equip weapons--especially the part about why you can't sell them, but why they also only show up on Cloud and Barret as if they were special. I have no idea where to start looking for a thing like that, but I'm sure it has less to do with programming stuff and more to do with scrapped ideas.

I've always thought it was because you see Cloud using the Buster Sword and Barret firing his gun in cutscenes: having them in the inventory would somehow explain how the randomly pulled them out (Barret can get melee weapons, so he needs an arm machine gun in the inventory)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Great job so far. I'm pissed though, because I just beat FFVII a month ago (and I play this game in the spergiest way possible, doing everything and maxing out everything), and now I want to do it again :saddowns:

Elentor posted:

Yeah I'm gonna show all the Enemy Skills, unless I forget some in which case I'm not, but that's life.

Enemy Skills are great fun.

Enemy skill is just wonderful because it further trivializes an already piss-easy game, especially early on.

Also, take Yuffie on the date! That's the only one I've never seen!

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 2, 2011

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The White Dragon posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by only show up on Cloud and Barret. You mean on the field maps?

Well, Cloud is the protagonist and the sword is a huge part of his character design. In the cover, you see more of the sword than him, in the main menu you just see the sword, etc.

As for Barret, you don't have a choice here, do you? Half of his arm is the gun.

If you mean why we only see their Initial Equip on the scripted scenes and field maps instead of whatever weapon you have, there are two reasons:

1) The models are different, you'd have to make a lower-than-low-poly version of the weapons and that would take unnecessary time. This is not the main reason though.

2) It's a narrative device. Buster Sword and Gatling Gun are part of their concepts as a whole. The Buster Sword is as part of Cloud as his hair and his clothes. It contrasts directly with the weapon the villain uses. It shows that he's stronger than a normal human is supposed to be from the first moment you see him. All these subtleties would be lost if, say, they displayed instead that weapon with a katana graphic that you can get just because it's equipped.

And yeah the reason you can't sell them is because they're iconic. You're supposed to have the Buster Sword from the beginning to the end. FF7AC deals with that, even though Cloud has moved on to different weapons, he still cherishes the Buster Sword as it was part of his personality, so it would make no sense to randomly sell it.

Anyway I'll do the next B&B about Rio and the one after about Mods.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 2, 2011

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Elentor posted:

What is this on the TV? Some ad for LucasArts' game Afterlife?

It's a news program about you blowing up the reactor. If you know Japanese and squint, you can make out テロリ, which is pretty obviously "terrorists."

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

You can go and listen to it, to, if you didn't know. It's basically "AVALANCHE ARE JERKS AND JUST KILLED MORE INNOCENT PEOPLE".

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Elephantgun posted:

I'm going to break the mold here and say I want a fantastic linear experience. Sort of like FF13, except not like FF13 at all. The days of getting lost on the world map looking for some small town are over for me, I want a game that's highly fine tuned as a result of it being linear. Mostly, it avoids the leveling grind. I want an RPG that's difficult and challenging for reasons that make it actually difficult or challenging. Using the right skills at the right time, (if possible) getting rid of RNG, having complete control over your units (possibly positioning but mostly skill selection). The only thing deciding if you win or not is you. Not whether or not that Ultimate Attack you can only use once a battle crit or not, or if you grinded on generic easy enemies for an hour, or if you found the secret weapon and just hit him with it until he died.

It's turn-based combat, you can strategically use moves and completely control the fight. I don't know why this hasn't been taken advantage of. Really, why do we even need experience? Just level up after each boss is fought so the developers can control the user's game experience. No respawning enemies, you can see them on the world map (which in my mind is sort of like FF12/13), once you kill them they're dead. They're only there to obstruct your forward path, not to kill over and over for xp. The bosses are hard as gently caress. I want bosses to loving destroy me, and I want to customize my characters with what the game gives me and use my skills effectively to beat it.

When I read this, the first thing that came to mind was Working Designs' "Vanguard Bandits" for the PS1.

It's a turn-based RPG with a medieval setting that somehow has giant robots, which isn't surprising given its JRPG-ness. And it does avoid grinding by forcing a set amount of battles on the player - 20 battles per story branch, and yes, it has branching points and even some multiple endings for some of those branches, which was probably necessary for replayability. So there's no faffing about on world maps because the game does it for you while your guys have bizarre conversations/skits with each other.

And it does give the player a lot more leeway to customize characters when it comes to stats - you could have any character (and I mean ANY) max out any one stat like strength or speed at the expense of other stats, though it's easier to play with a more balanced build because despite the crippled AI, they do tend to have increasingly better stats than your guys and will annihilate any glass cannons on your party if you're not careful, thus forcing strategy down your throat near the end. Though sadly, there's that one strategy that almost every player who knows some smidgen about the AI would always use, because any other sort of strategy falls short in terms of efficiency, but I digress.

Elentor posted:

Anyway what would you guys want for the next Bugs & Bytes? I'm thinking about talking about Mods.

Do talk about Mods, please. I wasn't aware of them until someone brought them up a few pages ago, around the time I just realized FF7 had a PC version. ^^;

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
My greatest memory of this game is being the game that got me to give RPGs a chance. I had never played a final fantasy game before 7 and did not know what to expect. The part that stood out was me never expecting to leave Midgar for some reason and then stepping out into the world map later on to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzz5cVt70j8 (Orchestral version because why not) .

I kinda paused for a moment and wandered aimlessly just to hear the whole thing (between random battles :argh:) and took in that the game had this big world I was going to go explore now, with all sorts of unique places.

Say what you will about it having the worst fans ever and being nonsensical as hell sometimes, but we'll still remember Final Fantasy 7 years from now in some way or another.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Weird BIAS posted:

Nice job so far Elentor! I'm pretty excited about this thread since it's a game I've put way too many hours into.

I played FF7 on the PC first and have so many memories of it crashing after playing for hours without saving. Installing it on my grandmother's computer, having it crash after playing for 10 minutes and having the manual to read on the flight home was frustrating. The Playstation version was a godsend to play compared to the PC version.

I think I was 9 at the time I got it so I will have some dumb things to say about playing this game at an age entirely inappropriate for the subject matter.

I got it for the PC initially too. It played fine, up until a long, long plot twist scene about 75% of the way through the game- it would always freeze during one FMV near the end of that scene. I tried replaying it about 5 times, and the scene takes about half an hour to get through even skipping all the dialogue. I didn't get to finish it until somebody bought me a PSX about a year later.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I actually dreamt that I had missed a bunch of stuff in Midgar last night. Thankfully, that's still a mile away, whew.

Bits and bytes, have no idea what to ask for because, well, if I knew what the weird stuff in the game was already, I wouldn't need to ask for it ;)

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Dauntasa posted:

You can go and listen to it, to, if you didn't know. It's basically "AVALANCHE ARE JERKS AND JUST KILLED MORE INNOCENT PEOPLE".

Well they are jerks and they just did kill more innocent people. Not only that, but because of rampant bungling by all parties, they alerted enemy forces to their position, and got one of their allies dropped into oblivion. This is why I like cloud at the beginning: he might be a dick in telling Barret and team off, but he's also absolutely right. :colbert:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Strangest thing, this lp got me hankering to dust off my old copy and give it another go. Well, for the first time in all my playthroughs, completely by accident, I one-shotted Airbuster. Went into the fight with Big Shot primed and ready, and scored a critical on the first try. It felt good.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

resurgam40 posted:

Well they are jerks and they just did kill more innocent people. Not only that, but because of rampant bungling by all parties, they alerted enemy forces to their position, and got one of their allies dropped into oblivion. This is why I like cloud at the beginning: he might be a dick in telling Barret and team off, but he's also absolutely right. :colbert:

Their plan was pretty bad, too. Blow up a reactor then, a few days later, blow up another reactor(even if you were exposed on the way there). I bet ShinRa had troops covering all of them, and the President was waiting in his helicopter for word on which reactor his dramatic entrance would be required at.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can see the president doesn't have anything better to do.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Elentor posted:

You can see the president doesn't have anything better to do.

I hope you show that scene of him in the Honeybee Inn.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm honestly just glad we stopped discussing why Squall/Tidus/Vaan was a special little snowflake who doesn't deserve all the "hatred" they get.

As for bugs and bytes, I'm going with the general mod consensus.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Perhaps it's just me being spoiled from watching too much Firefly, but I was kind of disappointed when President Shinra just walked towards the heroes on a catwalk and nobody got the great idea of firing at him or throwing a grenade. I mean, it's not like the main characters are exactly good at banter anyway, so why bother with it?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Blastinus posted:

Perhaps it's just me being spoiled from watching too much Firefly, but I was kind of disappointed when President Shinra just walked towards the heroes on a catwalk and nobody got the great idea of firing at him or throwing a grenade. I mean, it's not like the main characters are exactly good at banter anyway, so why bother with it?

Barret was the only one with a gun and he was busy coming up with his "King Vermin" line.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Dauntasa posted:

Barret was the only one with a gun and he was busy coming up with his "King Vermin" line.

You're joking right. Barret had been sleeping on that one for weeks. Every night he'd lay awake for at least half an hour thinking "I hope I get to meet president Shinra so I can call him "King Vermin". It'll be such a sweet burn. I just hope my friends are around to see it."

This was his chance to shine, and he seized it with both hands (metaphorically speaking)

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blastinus posted:

You've gotta admit it's impossible not think of Niska while reading the president's lines.

"Yess.. hmm yess... Sephiroth, he was perhaps... TOO brilliant, yes?"

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Elentor posted:

You've gotta admit it's impossible not think of Niska while reading the president's lines.

"Yess.. hmm yess... Sephiroth, he was perhaps... TOO brilliant, yes?"

Sorry, It's been awhile since I watched firefly. Which one was Niska?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Lance Streetman posted:

Sorry, It's been awhile since I watched firefly. Which one was Niska?

The evil one with the glasses. He liked to talk about business.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I also like how Tifa is trying desperately to get Cloud to keep helping them, because she knows Barret will gently caress it up on his own.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Dauntasa posted:

The evil one with the glasses. He liked to talk about business.

I always liked Saffron. She had so much potential and I would've loved to find out her story.

I hate that Firefly got cancelled. The executives at Fox are all going to a very special level of Hell, a place reserved for child molesters and people who talk in the theater.

...It was Fox, right? It's been too long

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nice rear end in a top hat posted:

I always liked Saffron. She had so much potential and I would've loved to find out her story.

I hate that Firefly got cancelled. The executives at Fox are all going to a very special level of Hell, a place reserved for child molesters and people who talk in the theater.

...It was Fox, right? It's been too long

Don't worry, Saffron is coming back in this very LP.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
At first I was unsure of this thread as it didn't seem as funny as Leovinus's FFVII thread. But now I'm starting to get into the whole "be nice to FFVII and enjoy the nostalgia instead of excoriating it". I'm starting to remember why I loved the game. I'm replaying it at the moment on PS3.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I always liked President Shinra. "Terrorists blowing up my reactors? I'm going to go down there and taunt them so hard." He's got style.

Cloud's a lot cooler in the beginning than toward the end. Understandably so, because Cloud's got a lot on his mind in the second half. Still, it's pretty awesome how Cloud has no trouble at all plowing through Shinra goons. It's easy to see where his popularity comes from.

mtrc
Mar 29, 2011

THE FUTURE, YOU GUYS
The stuff about Ancient Forest made me laugh so hard. I'd forgotten about that mess of a place. That was one of the things I liked about FFVII though (it was the second FF I'd played at the time) was that it was so rambling and difficult/long-winded in some areas but it made it feel like a more varied game.

I'm replaying FFVIII on the PSP right now, for old times' sake and because commuting is poo poo, and although I'm enjoying the crap out of it there just aren't as many diverting setpieces as in FFVII. I was just remembering all the minisegments involving snowboards, rock climbing, or blizzards and, frankly, it was drat fun even when it was being ridiculously obtuse.

Also I love this thread. With a passion.

Edit - I'm also looking forward to having some of the more obscure segments of late-game plot explained to me, I remember one scene in particular that I did not understand at all. Even slightly.

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone

FinalSin posted:

Edit - I'm also looking forward to having some of the more obscure segments of late-game plot explained to me, I remember one scene in particular that I did not understand at all. Even slightly.

you know, that reminds me: even though Leovinus explained a lot of the twisted story in his unfinished LP, I've never understood who's the voice talking in Cloud's head?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Lava Lamp posted:

you know, that reminds me: even though Leovinus explained a lot of the twisted story in his unfinished LP, I've never understood who's the voice talking in Cloud's head?

Sephiroth. :ssh:

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
I don't know about you guys, but I'm totally getting the PC version of this game so I can finally play the game with the voice acting mod.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDR5qDLvOhE

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Lance Streetman posted:

Sephiroth. :ssh:

That's not true, though the OP says not to discuss beyond what we've seen, so I won't specify what it is, just that it's not what you say. There's one instance where it is but as far as I remember that's all.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Chip Cheezum posted:

I don't know about you guys, but I'm totally getting the PC version of this game so I can finally play the game with the voice acting mod.

Oh jesus that is horrifyingly bad.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Adus posted:

That's not true, though the OP says not to discuss beyond what we've seen, so I won't specify what it is, just that it's not what you say. There's one instance where it is but as far as I remember that's all.

Ahh. I haven't played the game (only watched a playthrough a long time ago) so I don't remember that much. Ignore me completely.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Chip Cheezum posted:

I approve of Wedge's accent.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Rythian posted:

Oh jesus that is horrifyingly bad.

It's so bad it's hilarious though. I would play it. Instead of sounding black, Barret sounds like Arnold Schwarzenegger for some reason. That has to be done tongue in cheek.

Jessie is a woman?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Chip Cheezum posted:

I'm going to go against the flow here and say this isn't nearly as bad as I expected. Maybe because I was expecting "YouTube LP Bad" and only got "fan project bad". I stopped watching at Barret, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

It's so bad it's hilarious though. I would play it. Instead of sounding black, Barret sounds like Arnold Schwarzenegger for some reason. That has to be done tongue in cheek.

I'm disappointed that Barret doesn't sound like Mr. T because I can't imagine Barret sounding like anyone else.

• Locked thread