Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Farbtoner posted:

This never happens.

I want to live in your magical dream world where legitimately purchased games will never randomly fail to work because your CD drive isn't supported by the copy protection system, or because the DRM servers are down, or because it's a second-hand game with no manual, or because it interprets the development tools you have installed for school as "piracy-related software", or because the custom DRM driver didn't install properly, or because it relies on an undocumented feature in an earlier OS or console to figure out if it's a legit copy.

Back here in reality, copy protection systems get false positives all the loving time, and that's before you start discussing the difficulties this can cause when you want to make copies of your own games.

This is becoming less of an issue with the advent of DD options like GOG (which has no DRM) or Steam (which has unobtrusive and generally inoffensive DRM), but for a long time my standard procedure for installing a game was "find discs, install game, install patches, install crack, return discs to shelf, play", and on more than one occasion I have pirated games I already legitimately owned because it was easier than trying to get the legit copy to work (Spellforce comes to mind).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

ToxicFrog posted:

...or because it interprets the development tools you have installed for school as "piracy-related software"...

I'd like to elaborate on this for those who don't know because this bullshit hit me personally - SecuROM takes its ball and goes right the gently caress home if it detects Process Explorer (a rather handy Task Manager replacer) having been run in the system anywhere since the past reboot. It can apparently be used in some arcane manner to unravel the way the copy protection works, but it took a while of Googling to figure out that Mass Effect and NFS: ProStreet were randomly crashing on startup with strange SecuROM errors because I had been a naughty, naughty boy.

Those were the only times I've ever cracked legal games. I've been pretty patient with using physical media.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Dr. Dos posted:

I knew BSNES was "more accurate" but never noticed anything wrong using Snes9x. This is kind of a surprising read.

Even more surprising is trying BSNES and finding out that you only get 35 FPS on the main menu of Yoshi's Island on a machine that can run Crysis maxed at 1080p before turning on scaling and filters. I think I can live with zSNES/SNES9x being slightly inaccurate.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Even more surprising is trying BSNES and finding out that you only get 35 FPS on the main menu of Yoshi's Island on a machine that can run Crysis maxed at 1080p before turning on scaling and filters. I think I can live with zSNES/SNES9x being slightly inaccurate.

Doesn't the SNES natively only run at 30 frames per second though?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

fishmech posted:

The audio was going about half speed, and it was visibly choppy.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ToxicFrog posted:

I want to live in your magical dream world where legitimately purchased games will never randomly fail to work because your CD drive isn't supported by the copy protection system, or because the DRM servers are down, or because it's a second-hand game with no manual, or because it interprets the development tools you have installed for school as "piracy-related software", or because the custom DRM driver didn't install properly, or because it relies on an undocumented feature in an earlier OS or console to figure out if it's a legit copy.

Back here in reality, copy protection systems get false positives all the loving time, and that's before you start discussing the difficulties this can cause when you want to make copies of your own games.

This is becoming less of an issue with the advent of DD options like GOG (which has no DRM) or Steam (which has unobtrusive and generally inoffensive DRM), but for a long time my standard procedure for installing a game was "find discs, install game, install patches, install crack, return discs to shelf, play", and on more than one occasion I have pirated games I already legitimately owned because it was easier than trying to get the legit copy to work (Spellforce comes to mind).

I like the Sims 3. I really do. Yes, I understand how silly a game it is but I don't care. It's a fun way to turn my brain off and kill a few hours.

But it's by EA who are pretty much the villains of the game publishing world. Sometimes, when I run the Sims 3, it gets to the end of the loading bar and just hangs indefinitely. I did some googling on the problem and it will do that if you have certain programs installed that it believes are piracy related even if you are connected to the download/validation server and have a valid CD key that is not in use and never has been used anywhere else.

Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. It's kind of a crapshoot. My CD drive came win InCD and Nero, which are useful for all sorts of things. One of these is backing up (apparently EA thinks this is piracy) my games, CDs, ripping songs as MP3s, that sort of thing. All of these things are perfectly legal so long as I actually own what I'm backing up.

Let me put this simply: I own a legitimate copy of the Sims 3. I have the CD key. I have the box, the disc, and the manual. I have never installed it on another computer. I have installed it on this computer exactly once. The only change in hardware was I added a harddrive. And yet, it fires off false positives all the damned time when I play this game. I need to use the task manager to forcibly stop the game and then use it to forcibly terminate InCD and Nero, which are supposed to just harmlessly run in the background and make sure my CD drive doesn't implode. See, I think it's even pretty much inextricably linked to the drive's drivers, as the drive doesn't work quite right if the program isn't running.

In short, gently caress EA and their DRM.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Can we drop the pirate-discussion, because it's a huge can of worms and it's getting in the way of what makes this thread awesome: video game hoaxes and urban legends. Really, if your anti-piracy measure doesn't involve Ben telling you that you've been a bad gamer, I have no interest in it.

That said, back on topic! I know a story about...

...oh, crap. I'm going to contradict myself now, because this is a story that involves piracy. Well, it's also about a small hoax I started, so here I go! :iamafag:

When I was 12/13 years old, alot of kids at my high school didn't have premium computers. But that was okay, because awesome older games could often be bought for something like 5 bucks.

I had just acquired an old Pentium II, my first computer that didn't run on DOS, and was just discovering the awesome world of FPS's that my friends played. For my birthday, I decided to get my own. That year, I got two gifts for my computer that made it the most awesome thing, ever: a boxset of Half-Life and it's expansions, and a cd-burner.

Half-Life blew me away, but then something strange happend. I had just reached the part were the millitary starts bombing Black Mesa, and poo poo is going down! The music kicks in, and this dramatic event is guided by the music of...Barbara Streissand. What the gently caress? I stop the game, open my cd-drive, and find a cd my mom had left there. That was the day 13 year old Sobatchja discovered that Half-Life uses .wav files on the cd that's in the drive for it's music, and doesn't need the disc for anything else.

Well, some time goes by, and I'm telling my friends about how awesome Half-Life is. Some friends would like to try it out, and I say that if they give me some empty disks, I'll burn it for them. I just burned the files HL installs on the harddrive in a zip file, put the music from the game on a second disks, and give them instructions on how to install. What I didn't tell them was that I switched some of the original soundtrack with...different songs.

That year, I had everyone in my class convinced for a while that Celine Dion was on the Half-Life soundtrack because the girlfriend of one of the developers had asked him to do it. :wotwot:

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Mister Roboto posted:

Can you guys recommend any other sites for this sort of digging through video game lore?

So far I have tcfr, thelifstream.net (For Final Fantasy), and glitterberri, who digs up FF7 hidden stuff. Speaking of, Man a lot of stuff was cut from 7. Yeek.

I haven't explored the site in years, but The Rare Witch Project was once entirely devoted to stripping down the code of games like Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie to find the little hidden nuggets of joy within. If memory serves, they were the first to break the news of the passcodes that you could enter in-game to get the Stop and Swop items, and the first to figure out how to access the removed Bottles' Revenge feature in Banjo-Tooie.

http://www.therwp.com/

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

fishmech posted:

Strictly speaking, that's true, but it's generating an interlaced signal; in that context, a "frame" is only a logical unit of transmission, and contains two "fields" (sets of every other scanline), each one's content representing a distinct point in time. These fields are played back one after another, giving you 60 samples of motion per second (more precisely 59.94, and even more precisely 60/1.001, or 60000/1001 if you prefer fixed point math). But that's only NTSC; PAL equipment is 25 frames/50 fields per second, and those numbers are exact.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

fishmech posted:

Anything running on an NTSC tv outputs at ever so slightly below 60 "fields" per second, which are best thought of as half frames (each frame is divided into 480 horizontal lines, odd numbered ones are one field, even numbered ones the other). Most emulators render each field as a frame, so 60 fps is expected.

e:f;b by like an hour

EroticBlacksmith
May 13, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

If you wanted to absolutely get every single item in the game (above and beyond getting the platinum trophy/1000 gamerscore) you would probably need to just kill the same enemy in the same place over and over again for, say, 120 hours or so. Just killing that turtle, seeing if he dropped anything, and then loading the game so it respawns quicker. Over and over. Depending on how lucky you are. ~25 hours of that would probably be staring at a loading screen.

I'll be he first to admit that there are a lot of things terribly wrong with FFXIII, but a lot of the stuff people have been saying in this thread are exactly the kind of rumors this thread is about. It's not just one enemy that drops money, it's just one that gives the best payout. The time estimate I quoted above is hilariously wrong. My save file isn't that long and I got all the trophies (which thankfully cured me of my trophy addiction).

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
It's an exaggeration for sure, but it's still a horrible design. The way to get the "Held every weapon and accessory" achievement is by upgrading, and the way to upgrade is basically "spend lots of money." The only half-decent way of getting money is to kill the turtles over and over. Yeah there are other enemies that drop things you can sell, but it would take so much more time that it's not even worth considering as an option. It would be like saying you could save up to buy a car by getting a minimum wage job or wandering the sidewalk looking for change on the ground. Both options suck but one is clearly better than the other.

If you wanna debunk an actual rumor about FFXIII, do the one where people apparently say it gets great but only after 30 hours or so, because that's pretty much a lie. If you hate it after 5 hours you'll hate it after 30.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
A few urban legends and stories thereof:

* I know they didn't technically exist, but I think I know what causes all of the UFO sightings in San Andreas. There's a lot of high-flying 'planes' throughout the game, usually for visual effect. Because no players are expected to do that high up, Rockstar didn't put in a model for those planes. The only thing that exists about them is precisely what the player could see from the ground: running lights. And since planes randomly crash, occasionally one of them will be a Running Light Plane. Thus, UFOs.

* Another hoax that actively annoyed me in San Andreas was the "Nazca Symbols" thing. There's a mountain wall that has the game's equivalent of the Nazca Lines, and how it was supposed to mean something. What annoyed me about it? It was just the corner of the Rock Face Texture, repeated a few times. I don't specifically know why it annoyed me so much, though.

* In the relatively-obscure space sim Darkstar One, all of the systems follow the same 'rule' that most flight sims have: things in the background are always in the background. You can't fly to the nearby planet, for example, even if they do fudge things a bit by making a Planet Sprite a little bigger when close and smaller when far away. There were rumors going around that in one section of the game, the area is large enough that the outlying areas could be slowly traveled to. Surprisingly, it was true; the area in which you fought the last boss was large enough that the faraway asteroid field could be slowly traveled to. Nothing there but mining ore, though, but the sheer length it took to get there was scary as hell.

* A story about a hoax:

Anyone old like me might remember the game Marathon, and the to-this-day powerful ending of the first game. You've saved the day from the evil aliens, but Durandal, the So-Intelligent-You-Think-He's-Insane AI, has his own plans. The ending screen closes with these two lines:

All over the ship, dancing through the wreckage of the Pfhor computer core, DURANDAL WAS LAUGHING

A friend of mine (reluctantly) told me as a kid that when he beat the game one time, the game played the sound of a human voice laughing. He told me how the laughing got louder, more electronic and echoey, scaring him so much that he turned off the computer. Being kids, we decided to replay the game and hear it. He was extremely confused when the Durandal Laugh didn't play, and we spent far too long trying to unlock it. My friend swore that he heard it, and how he was almost glad he didn't hear it again, since it was sewww scary.

Decades later, and I'm old enough to realize he was bullshitting me when I remember it. For shits and giggles, I decide to recreate the 'Durandal Laugh' and play it for that friend of mine. I take Vincent Price's laugh from the end of the Thriller video, and edit it to make it sound exactly like what he said the Durandal Laugh sounded like. I echo it, I use some freeware audio-editing tools to give it electronic flanging (I think that's what its called), whatever.

I put it on a USB drive and play it on my laptop when I'm at his house before a movie. He hears it, realizes what it is, goes white, and runs over to me and smacks me in the face. This isn't an act, this guy (a goddamned Marine for chrissake) was scared out of his mind, and acting on instinct, yelling at me to STOP IT.

To this day, neither of us knows where he heard the original Durandal Laugh.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Well, some time goes by, and I'm telling my friends about how awesome Half-Life is. Some friends would like to try it out, and I say that if they give me some empty disks, I'll burn it for them. I just burned the files HL installs on the harddrive in a zip file, put the music from the game on a second disks, and give them instructions on how to install. What I didn't tell them was that I switched some of the original soundtrack with...different songs.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm no wonder you wanted to change the subject from people condemning software pirates. Can we get some mods in this thread???

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

goferchan posted:

Hmmmmmmmmmmm no wonder you wanted to change the subject from people condemning software pirates. Can we get some mods in this thread???

Oh for gently caress's sake.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

Nothing there but mining ore, though, but the sheer length it took to get there was scary as hell.

What are we talking here, hours? Days? Weeks? Are you still flying there as we speak?

I remember Freelancer had a weird thing like this. Most of the planets or stars you could actually fly up to and would start burning up in the atmosphere and then crash if you got too close. But there was one semi-secret alien system that was just full of nothing but odd elongated asteroids all pointing at a distant star, along with a bunch of random alien ships, and some radiation that steadily damaged your ship. Decent for farming alien weapons but nothing else, if I recall correctly. Anyway, it was possible in this one system only to fly out to that distant star, which took a while, maybe 15 minutes or so, and then actually bump into it with no ill effects. I guess the devs though that no one would ever bother flying out that far so they never checked to see if it had the 'blow up when you touch this' trigger enabled. Totally pointless, but it amused me when I was younger.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

What are we talking here, hours? Days? Weeks? Are you still flying there as we speak?

I remember Freelancer had a weird thing like this. Most of the planets or stars you could actually fly up to and would start burning up in the atmosphere and then crash if you got too close. But there was one semi-secret alien system that was just full of nothing but odd elongated asteroids all pointing at a distant star, along with a bunch of random alien ships, and some radiation that steadily damaged your ship. Decent for farming alien weapons but nothing else, if I recall correctly. Anyway, it was possible in this one system only to fly out to that distant star, which took a while, maybe 15 minutes or so, and then actually bump into it with no ill effects. I guess the devs though that no one would ever bother flying out that far so they never checked to see if it had the 'blow up when you touch this' trigger enabled. Totally pointless, but it amused me when I was younger.

Heh. I was just thinking about that particular system in Freelancer. I actually get pretty bad vertigo irl, and for some reason that system made me really uncomfortable when I found it. Interesting about that star, I never stayed in-system long enough to discover that, good to know.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I don't know if it really works as a hoax or urban legend, but Taboo for the NES.

Has anyone ever played this with friends and suddenly got a creepy prediction? I know it's tarot card hocus pocus and all of that silly stuff and the game barely lets you write in something long and sometimes is just a random mix of cards and an American forced lottery number. But anyone ever got a result that was actually accurate? Or happened?

I have a few stories but I just want this to sink into someones head that I'm asking if people got a creepy prediction from an NES TAROT CARD GAME.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Lone Rogue posted:

I don't know if it really works as a hoax or urban legend, but Taboo for the NES.

Has anyone ever played this with friends and suddenly got a creepy prediction? I know it's tarot card hocus pocus and all of that silly stuff and the game barely lets you write in something long and sometimes is just a random mix of cards and an American forced lottery number. But anyone ever got a result that was actually accurate? Or happened?

I have a few stories but I just want this to sink into someones head that I'm asking if people got a creepy prediction from an NES TAROT CARD GAME.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Unless it called you by name and told you the exact time and date that you found an unopened Yoohoo on the bus or something, it's just typical cold reading.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

cobalt impurity posted:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Unless it called you by name and told you the exact time and date that you found an unopened Yoohoo on the bus or something, it's just typical cold reading.

It's not even good cold reading, because the readings it gives are pretty much exactly the meaning of that cards position as one or two words, and then five or so key words that it can mean. There's no back and forth and struggling for meaning unless you come up with it yourself.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

EroticBlacksmith posted:

I'll be he first to admit that there are a lot of things terribly wrong with FFXIII, but a lot of the stuff people have been saying in this thread are exactly the kind of rumors this thread is about. It's not just one enemy that drops money, it's just one that gives the best payout. The time estimate I quoted above is hilariously wrong. My save file isn't that long and I got all the trophies (which thankfully cured me of my trophy addiction).

The time it would take you to get every weapon, like my post says, is RADICALLY different than the time it took you to get all the trophies. All the trophies only require 6 of the final weapons. There are 48 final weapons, 42 of which you don't need for trophies. It literally says this in my post. Maybe rumors start with people with poor reading comprehension. :downs:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

BobTheJanitor posted:

Not that long, just long enough that about 25% of the way, you started wondering if the complete lack of anything around was a sign that something would be popping up anytime soon.

If memory serves, the game had a time-speedup feature because most of the space areas were just vast enough that you spent time getting to space stations / etc. At full speed-up (I want to say it was 4x, or maybe 10x) it took around ten minutes from Starting Point to Distant Asteroid.

BobTheJanitor posted:

I remember Freelancer had a weird thing like this.

There were three Secret Zones That You Could Farm Aliens in Freelancer:

* Long Asteroids Pointing To Distant Star Zone (this is the one you were talking about)
* Bright Pink Nebulae Zone
* Goddamn Cylinder Zone

The third one was the one that disturbed me the most. Freelancer had a lot of (likely unrealistic) scenery porn for a space sim, with different areas having different nebulae backgrounds that defined the place. The Goddamn Cylinder Zone's nebulae made it look like it was in a giant Cylinder. around 1:11 in this video. The sheer artificialness of the shape creeps me out.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MisterBibs posted:

* In the relatively-obscure space sim Darkstar One, all of the systems follow the same 'rule' that most flight sims have: things in the background are always in the background. You can't fly to the nearby planet, for example, even if they do fudge things a bit by making a Planet Sprite a little bigger when close and smaller when far away. There were rumors going around that in one section of the game, the area is large enough that the outlying areas could be slowly traveled to. Surprisingly, it was true; the area in which you fought the last boss was large enough that the faraway asteroid field could be slowly traveled to. Nothing there but mining ore, though, but the sheer length it took to get there was scary as hell.

is there a video for this? I love poo poo like this since space itself is pretty drat creepy but to have random things like this in a game adds to it.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Saint Freak posted:

The time it would take you to get every weapon, like my post says, is RADICALLY different than the time it took you to get all the trophies. All the trophies only require 6 of the final weapons. There are 48 final weapons, 42 of which you don't need for trophies. It literally says this in my post. Maybe rumors start with people with poor reading comprehension. :downs:

How can there be 48 final weapons in a game with six characters?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Every weapon in the game can ultimately be upgraded to the "super" weapon for the character. They all have the same name but I think their stats/abilities are based on the weapon you upgraded it from. So I guess there are technically a lot of them. The achievement is to have held every weapon and accessory but since each final upgrade has the same name you only need to do that one once for each character.

So that being said I have no idea why someone would make a post detailing how long it would take to upgrade them all. There's literally no reason to do that. No achievement or reward or anything.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Adus posted:

So that being said I have no idea why someone would make a post detailing how long it would take to upgrade them all. There's literally no reason to do that. No achievement or reward or anything.

Because you get the smug satisfaction that you did it.

Back in the olden days of PS1 people used to brag on and on to each other about how many hours they clocked playing ff7, or whether or not they bred a black chocobo just to fight the emerald whosit at the bottom of deep lake as was the style at the time. Or when FF8 came out and everyone was competing to see who could beat the final boss fastest.
\
:corsair:

Seriously, FF nerds get way, way into FF games.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Trollologist posted:

Because you get the smug satisfaction that you did it.

Back in the olden days of PS1 people used to brag on and on to each other about how many hours they clocked playing ff7, or whether or not they bred a black chocobo just to fight the emerald whosit at the bottom of deep lake as was the style at the time. Or when FF8 came out and everyone was competing to see who could beat the final boss fastest.
\
:corsair:

Seriously, FF nerds get way, way into FF games.

Well then shouldn't they be happy it takes 200 hours? Hell, shouldn't it take more?

EDIT:

I'm reminded a lot of this.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Rocketlex posted:

Well then shouldn't they be happy it takes 200 hours? Hell, shouldn't it take more?

gently caress, I dunno. For every ten people going "what, you have to grind magic off guys?!? gently caress this poo poo." there's some sperglord out there all "You didn't grind 999 of every magic for every character? Pfft, noob. :smug:"

And that locust thing would be put to better work in any genre but action.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rocketlex posted:

EDIT:

I'm reminded a lot of this.

How did more people unlock the 100,000 achievement than the 10,000 one?
edit: oh, different games :downs:

raditts fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 3, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, here's one that forever haunted my memories, not because it's creepy, but because no one I talk to remembers this.

When Quake was released, was there any sort of contest to see who could find the secret level first? I distinctly remember that being announced, and it being a big deal because the 'level designers were so good, it would be next to impossible to find this level'.

Years later, everyone and their kid (literally, most likely) knows about how to get to that level, but does anyone remember when this was a 'big thing' for people to do?

Also, as an aside, failed Doom clone #592, Corridor 7, I swear had a face that would float onto your screen almost randomly... but of course, NO ONE ever saw this when I would play it for them, it would just happen to me...

... all alone...

... at night. :ohdear:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

When Quake was released, was there any sort of contest to see who could find the secret level first? I distinctly remember that being announced, and it being a big deal because the 'level designers were so good, it would be next to impossible to find this level'.
I don't remember anything regarding Quake, but Wolfenstein 3D had the half-baked "Aardwolf" secret. Could your memory be mixing the two? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfenstein_3D#Aborted_contest_attempts

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

scamtank posted:

I don't remember anything regarding Quake, but Wolfenstein 3D had the half-baked "Aardwolf" secret. Could your memory be mixing the two? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfenstein_3D#Aborted_contest_attempts

I remember Aardwolf, definitely not mixing the two up. I'm not saying that I legitimately remember the Quake thing, but I know I'm not confusing the two.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Also, as an aside, failed Doom clone #592, Corridor 7, I swear had a face that would float onto your screen almost randomly... but of course, NO ONE ever saw this when I would play it for them, it would just happen to me...

... all alone...

You're not alone. It was the final boss - a red and veiny skull. It would also scream in it's lovely miditone voice. It would appear at random, flying at you and screaming, then disappear. It would scare the gently caress out of me because all of Corr7's levels revolved around exterminating all the aliens (or a percentage based on your difficulty) and heading to the elevator. So you'd play cat-and-mouse clearing aliens from the floor, get 100% and start heading back to the elevator. Feeling safe. Until that loving skull popped out at you.

I gave the demo to a friend in elementary school and he threw his mouse across the room the first time it happened.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wild T posted:

You're not alone. It was the final boss - a red and veiny skull. It would also scream in it's lovely miditone voice. It would appear at random, flying at you and screaming, then disappear. It would scare the gently caress out of me because all of Corr7's levels revolved around exterminating all the aliens (or a percentage based on your difficulty) and heading to the elevator. So you'd play cat-and-mouse clearing aliens from the floor, get 100% and start heading back to the elevator. Feeling safe. Until that loving skull popped out at you.

I gave the demo to a friend in elementary school and he threw his mouse across the room the first time it happened.

And other that that, there is NOTHING notable about this goddamned game. I just remembered that it wasn't even a Doom clone, really... it was a Wolf3D close. Fixed height, no textures on the ceilings/floors... absolutely horrible.

The best Wolf3D clone was Blake Stone :colbert:

G1ZM0
Jun 20, 2002

In the the first Tribes game there was a secret spot on the vehicle training level that would connect you to a server run by the developers.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

My best friend growing up loved Ken Griffy Jr Baseball on SNES and swore up and down that you could make the players run up the outfield wall and on the stadium with the ivy on the back wall you could run into it and loose the player for the inning.

We kept playing and playing this loving stupid baseball game for hours on end.... I never saw it happen.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

... all alone...

The only (crappy) video of it I could find.

(I loved all the old Wolf3d clones)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Danger Mahoney posted:

The only (crappy) video of it I could find.

(I loved all the old Wolf3d clones)

poo poo, I played it without sound. Just me, some chocolate milk, and my Green Day mixtape.

Oh 90's :allears:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Beer_Suitcase posted:

My best friend growing up loved Ken Griffy Jr Baseball on SNES and swore up and down that you could make the players run up the outfield wall and on the stadium with the ivy on the back wall you could run into it and loose the player for the inning.

We kept playing and playing this loving stupid baseball game for hours on end.... I never saw it happen.

I never heard anything about that but that game was awesome. Players breaking bats over their knee when they strike out, and players running into the outfield wall and knocking themselves out as their hat popped off their head. Magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

And other that that, there is NOTHING notable about this goddamned game. I just remembered that it wasn't even a Doom clone, really... it was a Wolf3D close. Fixed height, no textures on the ceilings/floors... absolutely horrible.

The best Wolf3D clone was Blake Stone :colbert:

As lovely as it was, I loved that game as a kid. It did have some pretty nifty additions to the Wolf3D engine - automaps, prox mines, IR goggles, etc. Blake Stone was pretty awesome too, except that Planet Strike kind of sucked.

e: Evil skull thing shows up good in this vid at about 6:34 http://youtu.be/MO1O-8UMkcQ

Wild T fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 11, 2011