Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I have noticed that my wifi signal goes down when I'm not near the router, but it still performs as if the signal was at 100%. Could it just be a problem with the radio saying that there's no signal but there is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

jaku78 posted:

Though I believe Samsung has a track record of just having awful radios. Tons of complaints on the Epic in the same category and I can bring up a few times my old Moment had the same issues.
I hate to be the "durr, I don't have any problems with it" guy, but I've found the WiFi on my Epic is be consistently good with every access point I've tried it on.

To be a bit more specific, the Intel 4965 chip on my laptop is very finicky. It works fine at home and on most consumer access points, but it has issues with a good number of enterprise ones. They've upgraded the wireless infrastructure at work a few times over the past decade, any my ability to connect to those access points has gone down over time to the point where my laptop refuses to work with them.

To combat this, I've carried around an old Orinoco card that works pretty much everywhere, although not with WPA2. Since getting my Epic, I've just been USB tethering using its WiFi radio to connect to access points when my laptop wouldn't work, and it's been a champ in every circumstance. Only once have I encountered an access point it didn't work with, temporarily, although I think the AP was just overloaded at the time.

3G service is another story, it's been pretty awful at times, although I'm more likely blame that on Sprint being overcapacity in markets I frequent as opposed to the device itself.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I don't suppose the whole Network Vision shebang will have a positive impact on Sprint's super over saturation in any major metro area? If the back haul is overloaded, having a nice set of tri-band towers won't do much to fix it, correct?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Turnquiet posted:

I don't suppose the whole Network Vision shebang will have a positive impact on Sprint's super over saturation in any major metro area? If the back haul is overloaded, having a nice set of tri-band towers won't do much to fix it, correct?
I'd assume backhaul upgrades are part of the general effort, if not simultaneous.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

JibbaJabbaJimmy posted:

I read that the Evo also had widespread reports of a weak radio when it was first released but this was fixed with OTA updates.

The Evo had widespread weak wifi when it was released, and that was what was fixed with an OTA update.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Lowen SoDium posted:

My wife's EVO has a cracked, but functioning glass digitizer. The LCD underneath is completely fine.

She doesn't have insurance on it. Anyone know what a sprint service center would charge to place the digitizer?

Quoting myself in hopes that someone knows.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

If this is her first repair, it should cost $35. Then she can get TEP on the replacement device. That is what happened to me.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
I've been tempted by the Nexus S because I know it'll automatically get the latest and greatest Android software shortly after they are released. I also love the idea of having a vanilla Android phone.

On the flipside, I am tempted by the sheer monstrous specs of the EVO 3D. However I detest HTC Sense. Assuming there's an unlocked bootloader released for it, then I assume this means I need to wait for someone (e.g.: dev at XDA) to release a vanilla Android with the EVO 3D drivers built-in, or whatever custom-ROM they decide to throw together. Is this understanding correct?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Jeratain posted:

I've been tempted by the Nexus S because I know it'll automatically get the latest and greatest Android software shortly after they are released. I also love the idea of having a vanilla Android phone.

On the flipside, I am tempted by the sheer monstrous specs of the EVO 3D. However I detest HTC Sense. Assuming there's an unlocked bootloader released for it, then I assume this means I need to wait for someone (e.g.: dev at XDA) to release a vanilla Android with the EVO 3D drivers built-in, or whatever custom-ROM they decide to throw together. Is this understanding correct?

You can also just throw LauncherPro or ADW or whatever on there, too.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

And the 3D can probably run like 47 different launchers at the same time without stress.

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.
I would probably wait for the Evo 3D unless if you are in a test market for Google Wallet and want to take advantage of that. While I love my Nexus S, it is technically an older phone. Doesn't hurt to wait a few weeks for the "next greatest thing." :)

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Myrddin Emrys posted:

You can also just throw LauncherPro or ADW or whatever on there, too.
The launcher is just one part of Sense. Contacts, dialer, messaging, lock screen, background services are all other parts that need to be addressed to get rid of the Sense feel. The closest I could come on my Shift (pre CM7) was other launcher + widget locker + Go SMS which still left dialer, contacts and background services.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

falz posted:

The launcher is just one part of Sense. Contacts, dialer, messaging, lock screen, background services are all other parts that need to be addressed to get rid of the Sense feel. The closest I could come on my Shift (pre CM7) was other launcher + widget locker + Go SMS which still left dialer, contacts and background services.

True enough. For contacts and dialer, I use Dialer One. Not sure about the background services.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
So I saw this:

on my Xbox today and thought that was kind of interesting

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Odd, the E3 website doesn't list them as an exhibitor. They could be just a general sponsor but that wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom

Lowen SoDium posted:

Quoting myself in hopes that someone knows.

They arent supposed to fix it at all, but luckily you know a guy. Pm me.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I hope this somehow ties into a game distribution service; since verizon is getting the xperia play and sony store first, maybe sprint is partnering with microsoft?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
That is kinda strange. They're not listed under "Sponsors and Partners" either on the E3 site.

Chow-King
May 24, 2003

"I could kiss you on the nuts."
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/01/htc-evo-3d-gets-more-radioshack-love-june-24-sticks-out-as-poss/

Boom, EVO 3D June 24.

I'm on old SERO. How would I go about getting this? Call the number listed on the front page, upgrade to new SERO, and order the phone at the same time? Or do I need to upgrade to new SERO, wait for new billing cycle, then order phone?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Chow-King posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/01/htc-evo-3d-gets-more-radioshack-love-june-24-sticks-out-as-poss/

Boom, EVO 3D June 24.

I'm on old SERO. How would I go about getting this? Call the number listed on the front page, upgrade to new SERO, and order the phone at the same time? Or do I need to upgrade to new SERO, wait for new billing cycle, then order phone?

I had to upgrade from old SERO to SERO Premium when I bought my Evo. It actually wasn't very hard -- what I wound up doing was calling up and order the phone, have them bill it to mu account, and then call again once it arrived to activate and switch over to SERO Premium.

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

Jeratain posted:

Basically what HTC has told us is sooner or later it will be an unlocked bootloader phone. Though this doesn't mean it will be that way on launch and may take months til we see custom ROMs, however there are tons of ways to mask sense so it really doesn't matter. Probably the most significantly bad thing going for this phone is the fact it's going to take so drat long to get here when I was waiting for this thing before summer even started.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Looks like an official Gingerbread update is coming out for the EVO on Friday OTA. Good news.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Oh my goodness. Is that a Evo 3d release date? It looks like it to me. I was beginning to believe the phone was a myth.

I got an HTC Arrive for my mother and I have to say, that is one super sexy phone. It has one of the nicest slide-out keyboards i've seen on any phone yet. It even tilts up slightly, after you've slide it out, so you can read the screen a little clearer. I was also really shocked by how nice the Windows 7 OS was. It reminded me of a Zune UI, and I loved my Zune.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm rooted and running Fresh, will I be sent this update?

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Most of you probably don't care about this, but whatever:

quote:

LightSquared near $2bln a year Sprint deal-sources
Reuters News 01 Jun 2011 --
* 8-year agreement is worth $2bln per year to Sprint

* LightSquared to use Sprint's network equipment/towers

NEW YORK, June 1 (Reuters) - Sprint Nextel Corp is close to completing a $2 billion-a-year network sharing agreement with hedge fund billionaire Phil Falcone's LightSquared [MOSAV.UL] telecommunications venture, sources familiar with the matter said on Wednesday.

Under the proposed agreement, LightSquared would pay $2 billion a year to rent space on Sprint's network to launch its own high-speed wireless services, according to a person who asked not to be named because the details are not yet public.

The eight-year contract would allow LightSquared, a start-up backed by Falcone's Harbinger Capital Partners, to use Sprint's network equipment on 40,000 cellular broadcast towers along with its own wireless airwaves, to launch its own high-speed service.

LightSquared would basically be a tenant on Sprint's network, according to the person familiar with the details of the plan.

"Two billion dollars a year would be in the right ballpark for a network-sharing agreement" said a second person familiar with the matter, but that person could not comment on the duration of the contract.

A spokeswoman for LightSquared declined to comment. A Sprint representative was not immediately available for a comment.

The agreement, on which the telecommunications industry has speculated for months, would help Sprint pay for a $5 billion network modernization plan it announced late last year.

It would also reduce LightSquared's expenses for launching its service compared with the cost of building its own network.

Sprint had said it would announce more details related to its network plans around midyear.

But one looming question is where LightSquared, which has openly talked about filing for an initial public offering, would come up with the $2 billion in annual payments.

The company, which has sold more than $1 billion in high-yield debt, has received a $3 billion equity infusion from Falcone's Harbinger funds.

LightSquared currently has about $1 billion in cash on its books and could raise new capital to pay for the Sprint contract, a person familiar said but did not give specifics.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

I'm rooted and running Fresh, will I be sent this update?

I think even on Fresh the update will come up, just don't accept it. Pretty sure Flipz will have Fresh 4 go into final by the end of the weekend or so.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Skeezy posted:

I think even on Fresh the update will come up, just don't accept it. Pretty sure Flipz will have Fresh 4 go into final by the end of the weekend or so.

Would the OTA wipe out my apps if I did do it? I know in the past I've done OTA's and haven't had an issue, but those were Froyo to Froyo.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Damnit I don't want to wait another 3 weeks...

Hopefully I can pre-order a 3D now at the local corporate store, at least.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

Alman posted:

Most of you probably don't care about this, but whatever:

So does this mean Sprint's already beleaguered network will now get Lightsquared users tossed into the mix? Super.

If they use the cash to actually make it so my Evo can get more than 89kbps during weekdays, then I will stop complaining.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Turnquiet posted:

So does this mean Sprint's already beleaguered network will now get Lightsquared users tossed into the mix? Super.

If they use the cash to actually make it so my Evo can get more than 89kbps during weekdays, then I will stop complaining.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/press_kits.cfm?presskit_id=19

edit: and it shouldn't really have a big effect because they have their own spectrum anyway, plus the $2bil/yr will help pay for capacity enhancements

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Any reason why I wouldn't be able to use data anymore? I'm on the original $30 sero plan. I haven't used that much data recently, so I doubt it is usage related.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Harminoff posted:

Any reason why I wouldn't be able to use data anymore? I'm on the original $30 sero plan. I haven't used that much data recently, so I doubt it is usage related.

You should probably ask Sprint.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Technogeek posted:

I had to upgrade from old SERO to SERO Premium when I bought my Evo. It actually wasn't very hard -- what I wound up doing was calling up and order the phone, have them bill it to mu account, and then call again once it arrived to activate and switch over to SERO Premium.

For what it's worth, Sprint refused to allow my Evo on EPRP. They claimed (both in-store and on the phone) that the extra $10 "4G charge" (yes, they called it that back then) wasn't allowed on the EPRP plan.

I did manage to talk the guy in the store into giving me a normal plan at EPRP prices through discounts. And then applied the "credit union" discount on top of it, so that worked out nicely.

Point is, as far as can a phone go on EPRP or not, your mileage may vary, as many people didn't have any problems with getting the Evo on EPRP. It depends on who you talk to.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
So when I was looking into my upgrade stuff, I found out that somehow magically my contract ended three months later than it should have. Appearently it somehow magically extended by three months when I got my deposit back three months into my contract.

Thankfully, I was able to get it fixed over Sprint Chat, which is pretty amazing. Now I am way more eager to consider upgrading to the Evo 3D, now that this bootloader business has been addressed.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Point is, as far as can a phone go on EPRP or not, your mileage may vary, as many people didn't have any problems with getting the Evo on EPRP. It depends on who you talk to.

It's been a year now, so it should no longer be an issue for the most part. If you ever need good help with SERO or EPRP, call Employee Care. They actually know the EPRP/SERO/Employee plans and can help. Number on this page

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

900ftjesus posted:

It's been a year now, so it should no longer be an issue for the most part. If you ever need good help with SERO or EPRP, call Employee Care. They actually know the EPRP/SERO/Employee plans and can help. Number on this page

Yeah, I mean, it worked out in the end but it was at the Evo launch, I had looked all day for one without luck, found one and grabbed it before the mob did, and so that guy was kind of in a position of power over me :)

But like I said it worked out for me, though I have heard of other people with issues so it's nice to see that link.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Alman posted:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/press_kits.cfm?presskit_id=19

edit: and it shouldn't really have a big effect because they have their own spectrum anyway, plus the $2bil/yr will help pay for capacity enhancements

I'm confused, wont they have to use sprint's spectrum if they're using Sprint's network? The Engadget article says it's for LTE, so will they be using 800Mhz?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

falz posted:

Odd, the E3 website doesn't list them as an exhibitor. They could be just a general sponsor but that wouldn't make a lot of sense.

There's a remote possibility that they could be announcing the development of their first Nokia WP7 phone to be released on Sprint. However, it would be tremendously early for something like that unless they had been working on it prior to the merger, but then you consider things like the Kin and almost anything is possible. They could have made an Apollo-level crash program with the purpose of getting something, anything, with Nokia off the ground as fast as possible.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Hasn't Sprint always been like a sponsor on XBL or am I going crazy? You stream a video and sometimes you get a Sprint ad. So when I saw that I didn't think of it at all. Just XBL making money off ad space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just chiming in to say I've never had any wifi or other radio issues on my nexus, nor have I made any tickets or seen any nexuses (nexii?) come in to my corporate repair center for any reason at all.