Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

TheUnhorse posted:

I wouldn't do any of those. If you were going to do something more legit look at TESC, UMUC, or any other state school distance education degrees.

UMUC! That's the one I was trying to remember!

I have 100% post 9/11 and I really want to use it, but not waste it. I'm deploying in January though. I'm very unfamiliar with college, should I just wait? I plan to get a Bachelors in Information security. I was a real poo poo head in highschool and did pretty drat bad. I really regret that now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
High school doesn't even matter. I believe military can automatically enroll you into most universities. I'd wait 'til you get back from your deployment to actually take classes because while you're over yonder it'll be so loving hard to find the time to actually do classes/muster up the fucks you'll need to give for college classes. It doesn't hurt to get everything set up with your education office or whatever you NG types have before you go though so you have something to look forward to. Also, since you're NG you should just go to a brick and mortar school. If for no other reason than to find and gently caress bitches, get paid, etc.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

gleep glop posted:

UMUC! That's the one I was trying to remember!

I have 100% post 9/11 and I really want to use it, but not waste it. I'm deploying in January though. I'm very unfamiliar with college, should I just wait? I plan to get a Bachelors in Information security. I was a real poo poo head in highschool and did pretty drat bad. I really regret that now...

You best bet is to start off easy into college. Pick a state school that has a degree in IT security and spend your first semester (or two) doing 4-5 intro general requirements. Get your math out of the way, and your history/english/etc. If you want to be a smart cookie, go do whatever CLEP tests you can manage while you're deployed. You could theoretically start school with 12-15 credits or more already done.

You have plenty of GI bill time. 36 benefit months is enough for 15cr/semester, fall and spring, to take you to at least the first semester of graduate school and possibly a portion of your second semester if you go that far.

edit: Avoid for profit (read: diploma mills) universities like the plague. Unless you are absolutely, positively 100% goddamn sure that your experience trumps a degree it is always better to get a degree from a real school.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Wow thank all of you guys for the advice, that was really fast. I'm going to take a semester or so at my community college for now, then work on getting into Rutgers after my deployment or more likely a year or two at community. And then? PRINCETON! (no)

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

UMUC has a BS in cybersecurity, that's what I'm doing. It's not too bad, and there's a ton of opportunities once you finish.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

gleep glop posted:

Wow thank all of you guys for the advice, that was really fast. I'm going to take a semester or so at my community college for now, then work on getting into Rutgers after my deployment or more likely a year or two at community. And then? PRINCETON! (no)

Another thing to do if you plan on going CC -> Rutgers is to make sure that courses will be accepted as whatever they are. Talk to the registrar of at least (probably both) schools to make sure that they take your CC credits 1:1. Sure, you'll always get the credits as free electives, but why take a math course over again for example just because it's not THEIR math?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Vasudus posted:

Another thing to do if you plan on going CC -> Rutgers is to make sure that courses will be accepted as whatever they are. Talk to the registrar of at least (probably both) schools to make sure that they take your CC credits 1:1. Sure, you'll always get the credits as free electives, but why take a math course over again for example just because it's not THEIR math?

My CC has a program that the whole point of is going to rutgers after you finish your two year degree. I assume it all works then but good point, I'll check just in case.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

gleep glop posted:

My CC has a program that the whole point of is going to rutgers after you finish your two year degree. I assume it all works then but good point, I'll check just in case.

Oh, yeah if you have a feeder program set up then it should be all set. Lots of private universities have programs with local CCs but not all.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Feeder colleges can be a great deal. I know in Austin you could do a few years at ACC and go to UT and at the end of the day it was maybe a little more time but significantly less money for the same degree.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I did the exact same thing with a cc feeder program. Do yourself a favor, and ask other students who have done the same program as you're doing, and find out which courses to take where. For example, the biology class at my CC was known for being a hard as hell course for a 101 class, but the one at my state university was known as "Football bio"= show up and stay awake, and you'll get at least a B.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Grover/Hagetekadaha please Pm when is convenient to you with regards to a new thread. I lost my platinum when banned in a money grubbing scheme from the fascist known as lowtax, but I have a legitimate gripe and would like to post a thread and i'm trying to show considerable restraint in posting it.

No it's not inherently a drunk post thread.

te amo and thank you

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Grover/Hagetekadaha please Pm when is convenient to you with regards to a new thread. I lost my platinum when banned in a money grubbing scheme from the fascist known as lowtax, but I have a legitimate gripe and would like to post a thread and i'm trying to show considerable restraint in posting it.

No it's not inherently a drunk post thread.

te amo and thank you
You need plat to recieve PMs, FYI. I can save you $9.95, though. If it's an HCT thread and borderline enough that even you ask permission before posting it, the answer is no.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
If only all of us shared in your verisimilitude and taste in matters :allears:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
posting way cool dead bodies in the picture thing however 100% acceptable

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

posting way cool dead bodies in the picture thing however 100% acceptable
Yeah, speaking of which, thanks for removing those.

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.
edit: opsec kinda

Smoke Crack fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 7, 2011

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
yeah pretty much any "is it ok to post this thread" question is either answered with no or duh

Can I post drunk thread/how to beat UA/how to steal supplies/personal info of my dickhead NCO?

No

Can I post helpful thread on dependents/benefits/recruiting/enlistment?

duh

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Smoke Crack posted:

Sounds like some kind of stupid TOP SECRET thing.

Edit: Like what they would call some kind of stupid TOP SECRET thing in a bad book.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 7, 2011

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.

Cage Kicker posted:

Sounds like some kind of stupid TOP SECRET thing.

yeah I was talking to a da civilian yesterday who is former 18c/180a, and decided I should probably edit my post. he seemed surprised I knew the name at all.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hahahaha I told someone last night it was prob a leak. I could only find it in that post. It's on google so don't worry.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Rrail posted:

Hahahaha I told someone last night it was prob a leak. I could only find it in that post. It's on google so don't worry.

Not the first time poo poo like that's happened. I've seen a couple different code names that shouldn't be out in the public listed on job notices, with access to those programs being a requirement for being considered.

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

it's on the usarec website if anyone is interested in seeing.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

What's the best way to clean an IBA? I've already put it through the washing machine (after removing everything inside) and it's still pretty dirty.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Our Gay Apparel posted:

What's the best way to clean an IBA? I've already put it through the washing machine (after removing everything inside) and it's still pretty dirty.

Did you use a boatload of oxyclean and a can of coke?

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

I'll try the OxyClean thing. Someone told me Selsun Blue anti-dandruff shampoo works well too. The only thing I need to clean is the IBA from Fort Bliss range dirt and sand. No idea how it even got dirty, we don't do a prone firing position for the M9. Everything else is still in the original plastic bags.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
clean the stuff in the bags too. I've had CIF kick that kind of poo poo back too.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Our Gay Apparel posted:

Find someone who was just issued a new one the same size and swap it out. Works great with E-tools as well.

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 8, 2011

Nillerz
Jun 24, 2008

Nillerz posted:

Why don't I eat veggies? I don't look at them as *food*, in the classical sense.
AM I POSTING ABOUT HOW WOMEN ARE STUPID, WEAK AND WORTHLESS? REMIND ME THAT I AM AN INFANTILE MANCHILD WHO REFUSES TO EAT VEGETABLES
I am trying to recruit an anonymous person who is prescribed Adderall for off-label purposes. He is wondering about what happens if he makes it through basic without it (he doesn't need it for remaining functional) if he can get on the prescription again after he's acclimated with his unit. He's taking it for off-label purposes, no ADD or anything, and MEPS knows about what he's taking it for, but they don't know that he's taking medication for it. He'll be going into our unit and our unit is short on bodies for the upcoming deployment.

According to WebMD, Adderall is an amphetamine, and has possible side effects of loss of appetite, weight loss (not a bad thing for this dude, he's not stupid fat, but a tad overweight), dry-mouth (could it be similar to caffiene, ie, diuretic? This could mean hydration issues), fever, nervousness, and trouble sleeping. He says he only gets the loss of appetite and dry-mouth when he is on it. All in all, I think there is enough time for him and his team-leader after he gets out to gauge whether the adderall will help or hurt him in the deployment (I imagine he'll have to get used to force hydration and force feeding if we can't trust him to do it himself), so all-in-all, after much consideration, I do not have any disinclinations to him joining our unit, moral, personal, or otherwise.

Does anyone know if this is ok according to the beaurocratic bullshit?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Nillerz posted:

I am trying to recruit an anonymous person who is prescribed Adderall for off-label purposes. He is wondering about what happens if he makes it through basic without it (he doesn't need it for remaining functional) if he can get on the prescription again after he's acclimated with his unit. He's taking it for off-label purposes, no ADD or anything, and MEPS knows about what he's taking it for, but they don't know that he's taking medication for it. He'll be going into our unit and our unit is short on bodies for the upcoming deployment.

According to WebMD, Adderall is an amphetamine, and has possible side effects of loss of appetite, weight loss (not a bad thing for this dude, he's not stupid fat, but a tad overweight), dry-mouth (could it be similar to caffiene, ie, diuretic? This could mean hydration issues), fever, nervousness, and trouble sleeping. He says he only gets the loss of appetite and dry-mouth when he is on it. All in all, I think there is enough time for him and his team-leader after he gets out to gauge whether the adderall will help or hurt him in the deployment (I imagine he'll have to get used to force hydration and force feeding if we can't trust him to do it himself), so all-in-all, after much consideration, I do not have any disinclinations to him joining our unit, moral, personal, or otherwise.

Does anyone know if this is ok according to the beaurocratic bullshit?

My best friend took it for ADHD (which he had like a motherfucker) and the only issues that ever popped up was making sure he had a 180 day supply for deployments and telling UPL that he would be popping hot for amphetamines. If it's kosher to get in with it, it should be kosher to stay in with it.

Nillerz
Jun 24, 2008

Nillerz posted:

Why don't I eat veggies? I don't look at them as *food*, in the classical sense.
AM I POSTING ABOUT HOW WOMEN ARE STUPID, WEAK AND WORTHLESS? REMIND ME THAT I AM AN INFANTILE MANCHILD WHO REFUSES TO EAT VEGETABLES
What if he doesn't tell MEPS then tries after he gets back?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Nillerz posted:

What if he doesn't tell MEPS then tries after he gets back?

If he hides the fact that he was prescribed a medication for a condition that wasn't kosher with MEPS, and they find out, he could get the hammer. The hammer being a fraudulent enlistment charge and an entry level separation.

Granted, it's not like there are super detectives going over his paperwork with a fine tooth comb. But it's a risk you take if you choose to not disclose something.

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Nillerz posted:

:words:

he might piss hot at meps.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
It's an issue for flyers and a few other special duties. Otherwise, just a fraud issue as outlined above.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Smoke Crack posted:

he might piss hot at meps.

Amphetamines only stay in your system for 2-3 days. If he stops taking it for that long before MEPS and drinks plenty of water then he won't have an issue.

Nillerz
Jun 24, 2008

Nillerz posted:

What I'm getting at here is how likely is it that it will be an issue? Does he just have to say at SRP (src whatever cant remember) that he's prescribed for it or something?

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Nillerz posted:

What I'm getting at here is how likely is it that it will be an issue? Does he just have to say at SRP (src whatever cant remember) that he's prescribed for it or something?

Yes, he is supposed to disclose all diagnoses and medications. The specifics of whether this will effect military service are outlined in DoDI 6130.3.

Each service has further instructions guiding their own accession, retention, and special duty medical standards. For the AF it is AFI 48-123 Chapters 4 (Accession), 5 (Retention), and 6 (Flying/Special Duty).

You're on your own for other services, because I'm sick of sister service medical examinations and paperwork as it is.

Nillerz
Jun 24, 2008

Nillerz posted:

thanks, I'll look further into it.

Carnival Rider
Apr 23, 2006

Derp. I was retarded because it's been a long week and wasn't watching my speed. I was wondering if I can fight on post tickets and what the chance of success would be. Not even getting out of it, just getting the fine reduced. I know how the civilian side goes, and my friend is saying that it could be bumped down 5 mph (70 bucks) Should I go to JAG and ask them?

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Holy poo poo some bases charge actually money for the tickets?

Best reason to fight them is so you don't lose on-post driving privileges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carnival Rider
Apr 23, 2006

Rrail posted:

Holy poo poo some bases charge actually money for the tickets?

Best reason to fight them is so you don't lose on-post driving privileges.

$14 per mph over + $25 processing fee

I'm nowhere near losing privileges, first ticket ever, 6 years of driving and it'll just be 1/4 of my yearly allotted point limit if it isn't reduced. Friend of mine says that JAG can probably get them down 5mph, I'll go talk to them I think.

• Locked thread