Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Jarate posted:

I've decided to come back to PC gaming! I missed it. I'm gonna use all of this month's pay to build the baddest-rear end gaming rig and I'm going to cry while eating top ramen and playing The Witcher 2 at full quality. That is my goal.

Your plan has a hole. You did not factor in the daily, midweek and weekend steam sales. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

gokuesque posted:

My keyboard allows every keystroke to be pressed at once and I've tested it! Now someone just needs to invent a game where I actually need to press literally every key on my keyboard at the same time.

Press every key to continue... :f5:

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
I love my Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600. Everything about the design is just right for me, it doesn't have any extra buttons that I don't use, and I haven't noticed any ghosting.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

nickhimself posted:

So I have a microsoft ergonomic keyboard (4000 v1.0) and it apparently blows with arrows. I can't press the up arrow + 2 others at the same time and have them all register. All other keys SEEM to work in any combination and amount, though. Any way to fix this?

That keyboard has a multiple key rollover limit or anti-ghosting feature that appears to be designed in a way that prevents it from becoming an issue for general use and I'm guessing they overlooked or didn't care enough about it when it came to the arrow keys. Unless the problem is something else altogether I don't think this is something you can easily fix.

For future purchases, I recommend looking for a keyboard that features full n-key rollover (no limit on simultaneous key presses for all keys). Anything less and you may end up running into a similar problem.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 3, 2011

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

MeruFM posted:

Sounds like a terrible idea.
How about buying a Sandy Bridge 2500k or 2600k and a 250 dollar GPU to play witcher 2 at "High"...

Then slowly upgrade your GPU and overclock your CPU to 4.5ghz+ over a couple years.
A 2600k (stock clock) and an HD5850 will run Witcher 2 at full settings (minus ubersampling, motion blur, and cinematic depth of field) at 60fps almost all the time. Turn off all depth of field effects and it'll never slow down.

I agree though that building a rig just to play a game at its highest settings is a terrible idea, especially a new game.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I wasn't being entirely serious! It's not just for that game, it's just the one I chose to make an example out of. I'll definitely be building something around the $800-1000 range, nothing terribly fancy.

I definitely appreciate the responses, though! I love you goons.

keyframe posted:

Your plan has a hole. You did not factor in the daily, midweek and weekend steam sales. :ohdear:
gently caress.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum
I'm a giant on this earth, fee fi fo fum
Cerebellum over-loader make your brain stem numb!
It's great having a high end system and running games in their full glory, but don't forget you don't need to spend a small fortune to play great games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R, minecraft, Terraria, TF2, Amnesia, Super Meat Boy. I could go on.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Jarate posted:

I wasn't being entirely serious! It's not just for that game, it's just the one I chose to make an example out of. I'll definitely be building something around the $800-1000 range, nothing terribly fancy.

I definitely appreciate the responses, though! I love you goons.

gently caress.

Ignore them, this thread has absolutely zero humor. Good luck with the Steam sales, they've already destroyed a fair majority of my tax return!

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Red Baron posted:

Ignore them, this thread has absolutely zero humor. Good luck with the Steam sales, they've already destroyed a fair majority of my tax return!
Thanks! :D

Does anyone have experience using large televisions as monitors? I've got a 46" Samsung LED TV as the prime real estate in this room. I'd hate to shell out for a new monitor when I've got this beast ripe for the picking, but I'm not sure how well it works.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Jarate posted:

Does anyone have experience using large televisions as monitors? I've got a 46" Samsung LED TV as the prime real estate in this room. I'd hate to shell out for a new monitor when I've got this beast ripe for the picking, but I'm not sure how well it works.

I personally don't like big TVs as PC screens in general but they tend to work well for gaming. The problem is input delay, which varies a lot between TV to TV. Sometimes it's very noticeable to anyone who has any experience with gaming, other times it's barely noticeable unless you're playing a shooter or fighting game.

Check if your TV has a gaming mode feature or something. You can also try looking up its input delay and see if it's something you'd be able to tolerate.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Lemur Crisis posted:

I love my Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600. Everything about the design is just right for me, it doesn't have any extra buttons that I don't use, and I haven't noticed any ghosting.

I have the same keyboard, and I can't press shift, w, and x at the same time.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Liberatore posted:

Check if your TV has a gaming mode feature or something. You can also try looking up its input delay and see if it's something you'd be able to tolerate.
It does have a gaming mode, actually! Now that I think about it, though, the TV has a big problem with motion blur, so I suppose it'd just be easier and less headache to get a (relatively) smaller monitor. That way I can continue using my G9, at least.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Okay, what the gently caress is this poo poo. I have two controllers, Logitech and Xbox. Whenever I start any game with built-in Xbox controller support, it politely says "I see you have a logitech controller there, wouldn't you rather use that one?" The only way I can get them to actually use the correct one is to disconnect the logitech. Even better, in any other game the xbox controller is the default one. Windows why can't you make sense :argh:

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Uh random question. I did some Googling but most answers seem to be pretty old at this point.

Can you use a PS3 controller as a gamepad on your PC?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

crestfallen posted:

Uh random question. I did some Googling but most answers seem to be pretty old at this point.

Can you use a PS3 controller as a gamepad on your PC?

You can but it is not plug and play you have to download some app and do some work before it works.

I just said gently caress it and bought a wired 360 controller which works flawlessly.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

keyframe posted:

You can but it is not plug and play you have to download some app and do some work before it works.

I just said gently caress it and bought a wired 360 controller which works flawlessly.

That's what I kept seeing but the articles were old and I know the internet is stupid but lots of commenters on each story seemed to have a lot of trouble.

Maybe I'll pick up a 360 pad, but I just like the PS3 controller so much more.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

There's a few programs that emulate the Xbox 360 controller functionality for PS3 controllers, so you can always try that. As far as I know they work in most games and the worst about it is having the Xbox 360 controller button prompts instead of the correct ones.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Liberatore posted:

There's a few programs that emulate the Xbox 360 controller functionality for PS3 controllers, so you can always try that. As far as I know they work in most games and the worst about it is having the Xbox 360 controller button prompts instead of the correct ones.

I think a bunch of games flat out refuse to recognize it. I remember reading a lot of problems people were having with it when I was researching.

Honestly I would recommend you to just get a 360 wired controller. You can buy a used one for cheap if you don't want to spend the money on a new one.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

crestfallen posted:

That's what I kept seeing but the articles were old and I know the internet is stupid but lots of commenters on each story seemed to have a lot of trouble.

Maybe I'll pick up a 360 pad, but I just like the PS3 controller so much more.
You pretty much just install this driver and it works, and since it emulates a wired 360 controller it works with the few games the official wireless one doesn't... A lot of older articles will talk about driver signing and such but you don't have to worry about that anymore.

The driver setup is some terrible but once it's setup you don't have to worry about it again unless you want it to stop acting as a 360 controller.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm planning on finally getting all the way through The Witcher since I'm gonna pick up 2 once I start working again. Anyone have a save from right after the tutorial?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Threep posted:

You pretty much just install this driver and it works, and since it emulates a wired 360 controller it works with the few games the official wireless one doesn't... A lot of older articles will talk about driver signing and such but you don't have to worry about that anymore.

The driver setup is some terrible but once it's setup you don't have to worry about it again unless you want it to stop acting as a 360 controller.

I've been using this driver with a wired Dualshock 3 for Steam gaming, and it's worked great. Every once in a while I've had to unplug and plug it back in, but for the most part it's worked flawlessly.

The driver apparently was a huge pain in the rear end to install before the author got his code signed by MS, but now that he has an MS cert I don't remember the setup being painful at all. It's also pretty painless to set up as a different type of controller now or as custom keypresses.

I love the PS3 controller and am so happy I can use it with my PC. :)

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum
I'm a giant on this earth, fee fi fo fum
Cerebellum over-loader make your brain stem numb!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I'm planning on finally getting all the way through The Witcher since I'm gonna pick up 2 once I start working again. Anyone have a save from right after the tutorial?

This is what I managed to get from The Witcher 2 thread.

http://corylea.com/Saved_Witcher_Games.html

It has two save games to choose from. I just finished the Witcher and really enjoyed it, started Witcher 2 and it really does enhance your experience. Happy Witching.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Crysis 2 is half-off on Impulse... problem is, I don't want to download yet another program on my computer just for a game. Can I buy it from Impulse and activate it via CD Key on Steam?

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Sab669 posted:

Crysis 2 is half-off on Impulse... problem is, I don't want to download yet another program on my computer just for a game. Can I buy it from Impulse and activate it via CD Key on Steam?

No.

Bookmark this page and refer to it whenever you have a question about what you can register on Steam:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Sab669 posted:

Impulse isn't quite the same as Steam. Once you buy and download the game through the client you can play without opening Impulse up at all.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I downloaded a game save from some kind goon starting me right after the tutorial and uploaded it for you, but beware! The game bugged out for me and didn't let me spend my talent points and I don't know if its on my end or the saves fault, so don't go killing too much before spending your points because it might be for nothing.

http://www.mediafire.com/?q3fc2uj06kzazrw
Here the save is, don't know what choices he made since it ain't mine. Also check if you can spend talents points asap!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Davincie posted:

I downloaded a game save from some kind goon starting me right after the tutorial and uploaded it for you, but beware! The game bugged out for me and didn't let me spend my talent points and I don't know if its on my end or the saves fault, so don't go killing too much before spending your points because it might be for nothing.

http://www.mediafire.com/?q3fc2uj06kzazrw
Here the save is, don't know what choices he made since it ain't mine. Also check if you can spend talents points asap!

Same issue, tried to spend talents while meditating, nothing. I'll probably just redo the tutorial. :\

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
I just purchased a new Z68 Motherboard and a i7 2600k. When I saw the Arma 3 requirements I knew I had to respond someway and upgrade from my dual core... Anyone running a new Z68 MB? What are your thoughts?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Since I now have an i5-2500K@4.3GHz and a GTX 460 will GTA4 run decently on my system? It ran like rear end on my old E8400/GTX260 setup even with Windows 7. Or am I better off just getting it for my PS3? I can't activate my copy of GTA4 on Steam so I'll just get the complete collection off there or for the PS3 for $40.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

spasticColon posted:

Since I now have an i5-2500K@4.3GHz and a GTX 460 will GTA4 run decently on my system? It ran like rear end on my old E8400/GTX260 setup even with Windows 7. Or am I better off just getting it for my PS3? I can't activate my copy of GTA4 on Steam so I'll just get the complete collection off there or for the PS3 for $40.

It will run great on that system. The game just needs 3 or more cpu cores to run properly.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Maxwell Adams posted:

It will run great on that system. The game just needs 3 or more cpu cores to run properly.

Run great at 1080p at high settings? I remember reading people with 3GHz Core 2 Quad processors complaining that the game ran like rear end even on their setup.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
I run GTAIV on a 3ghz E6400 and it runs great (30fps+) even recording stuff with FRAPS when I didn't use the video editor. I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about - when I accidentally had my system underclocked to 2.13ghz it wasn't so great (lots of chugging) but at 3ghz it's perfectly playable, and the settings can be turned up to the max and still run the same since it's CPU and not GPU limited. I almost kind of wonder if it's a I/O bandwidth issue or something.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

spasticColon posted:

Run great at 1080p at high settings? I remember reading people with 3GHz Core 2 Quad processors complaining that the game ran like rear end even on their setup.

My system has a Phenom quad-core at 3.4 ghz and a geforce gtx 465, and I get ~40 fps while driving around. The game is at 720P with high settings.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I see but I'm still confused as to why they made the game CPU-bound in the first place when almost all games are GPU bound or push on the CPU and GPU equally.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

spasticColon posted:

I see but I'm still confused as to why they made the game CPU-bound in the first place when almost all games are GPU bound or push on the CPU and GPU equally.

I believe the answer is: Consoles.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I went ahead and got GTA4 The Complete Edition for PC otherwise it might collect dust if I got it for my PS3 and I'm pretty sure a i5-2500K@4.3GHz with 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM and a GTX 460 OC will be enough to brute force the game to run smoothly. I just don't understand why it ran like poo poo on my E8400 which was a 3GHz Core 2 Duo. Now to wait for Steam to download about 32GB so I can play the game. I don't think I have ever had this big of a game download and install before. :psyduck:

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 6, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

spasticColon posted:

I went ahead and got GTA4 The Complete Edition for PC otherwise it might collect dust if I got it for my PS3 and I'm pretty sure a i5-2500K@4.3GHz with 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM will be enough to brute force the game to run smoothly. I just don't understand why it ran like poo poo on my E8400 which was a 3GHz Core 2 Duo. Now to wait for Steam to download about 32GB so I can play the game. I don't think I have ever had this big of a game download and install before. :psyduck:

If you can, I'd just pause Episodes while normal GTA4 downloads. I don't think having that installed adds anything to the base game.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

spasticColon posted:

I went ahead and got GTA4 The Complete Edition for PC otherwise it might collect dust if I got it for my PS3 and I'm pretty sure a i5-2500K@4.3GHz with 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM and a GTX 460 OC will be enough to brute force the game to run smoothly. I just don't understand why it ran like poo poo on my E8400 which was a 3GHz Core 2 Duo. Now to wait for Steam to download about 32GB so I can play the game. I don't think I have ever had this big of a game download and install before. :psyduck:

You're doing a fresh install of GTA4 over steam then? Heads up, you're in for the worst game install of your life. You might want to install the latest version of GFWL before the game even tries to run for the first time.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Maxwell Adams posted:

You're doing a fresh install of GTA4 over steam then? Heads up, you're in for the worst game install of your life. You might want to install the latest version of GFWL before the game even tries to run for the first time.

How do I do that? I don't see it listed in windows update in Windows 7 and I was able to open GFWL by itself just now without any problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog
May 25, 2006
Ribbit

Maxwell Adams posted:

This is 100% the truth. The game wouldn't even get past the social club screen for me because I'd uninstalled GFWL. I had no idea what was wrong until I read this thread and installed it again. What Rockstar was thinking when they decided to bundle all that bullshit with a good game is beyond me.

• Locked thread