Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Yeah that list is way too long to be of any use to anybody. It's just like a wikipedia "list of British comedy".

Maybe an easier way to list recommendations would be to say "if you like comedy X, then you will probably like comedies Y and Z."

Although I couldn't even think of an easy, uncontroversial example and had to use X, Y and Z so it's probably a terrible idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
how about setting up a google doc for the list, then people can add to it and stuff without cloggng up the thread. I don't mind doing it if I can work out how.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

fuf posted:

Maybe an easier way to list recommendations would be to say "if you like comedy X, then you will probably like comedies Y and Z."

This is just as terrible because it leads to chains that will eventually link Stewart Lee to Michael McIntyre

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

fuf posted:

Yeah that list is way too long to be of any use to anybody. It's just like a wikipedia "list of British comedy".

But you don't understand! If I don't put my favourite comedy of all-time on that list, nobody else will mention Coming of Age! :cry:

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

If we're now just adding the shittiest thing we can think of, I reckon My Hero should have a spot. Not only was it god-loving-awful it killed the career of Ardal O'Hanlon.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

how about setting up a google doc for the list, then people can add to it and stuff without cloggng up the thread. I don't mind doing it if I can work out how.

This sounds like a sensible idea.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Andrew Marr's Megacities is the poo poo.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp
I know taste is subjective but there's some real stinkers on that list. It really just needs Gimme Gimme Gimme and Two Pints of Lager And A Packet of Crisps to be complete.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Metrication posted:

Andrew Marr's Megacities is the poo poo.

Did they have Istanbul in the first episode?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Brown Moses posted:

Did they have Istanbul in the first episode?

First episode has Shanghai, Mexico City, London, Dhaka and Tokyo.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I started a list on google docs, then realised how long and boring it is.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al3UpCNZHoAJdGxvTkVaeFlnVEJqay1TMTF1YW9KYnc&hl=en_GB

For anyone who wants to carry it on

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The list appears to be missing Yes, Minister (and Yes, Prime Minister)

BiggusDickus
Apr 18, 2008
It's also missing 'Are You Being Served', and I don't care how lame it got after, like, 150 seasons, jokes about Mrs Slocombe's pussy are still funny.

Also, 'Some Mothers Do Have' em'.

And 'Hi-de-Hi'. That shite ran for 8 years.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Metrication posted:

First episode has Shanghai, Mexico City, London, Dhaka and Tokyo.

Just to update I'm pretty sure these are the only cities featured in the whole series.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Tsaedje posted:

The list appears to be missing Yes, Minister (and Yes, Prime Minister)

I've been meaning to check out both for a while now, should I?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Is it on the list? :colbert:

Maybe we should have a vote as to the best in each category. We could do it AV style (unless you're too stupid to figure out AV :v:), so you knock out your preferences and boom, we get a decent list ranked in order of best to worst.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Just started watching the last episode of Night Shift on iPlayer, Georg is a cold son of a bitch wow.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

SeanBeansShako posted:

They're slightly dated now, some of the references to events at the time don't make as much sense, but the core elements of the show still hold up. If you've seen some of Armando Iannucci's stuff like The Thick of It then it's almost a 1980s version. It's not only very funny and cynical but, rather frighteningly, still used by political scientists as a textbook example of the relationship between elected officials and their civil servant counterparts.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

MisterLizard posted:

They're slightly dated now, some of the references to events at the time don't make as much sense, but the core elements of the show still hold up. If you've seen some of Armando Iannucci's stuff like The Thick of It then it's almost a 1980s version. It's not only very funny and cynical but, rather frighteningly, still used by political scientists as a textbook example of the relationship between elected officials and their civil servant counterparts.

I don't mind if it is slightly dated at all, I quite enjoy some of the early Spitting Image despite being a decade before my actual birth. I'll check it out later once I've cleared up watching some other stuff.

Also, just list the non shite comedies in Google Docs and just sticky your spergy opinion about said shows on the side and let the Yanks decide.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'd say that Yes, (Prime) Minister is definitely worth watching as long as you have a basic grasp of 80's British politics (i.e. the tories are cunts, labour are useless).

We should list EVERY British comedy ever, but then give little descriptions of them so people can decide if it's for them. TVIVUKThreadBritComWiki.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

goatface posted:

I'd say that Yes, (Prime) Minister is definitely worth watching as long as you have a basic grasp of 80's British politics (i.e. the tories are cunts, labour are useless).

So not at all dated at all really now.

Also, end of Night Shift: :psyboom:

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

SeanBeansShako posted:

So not at all dated at all really now.

Also, end of Night Shift: :psyboom:

Amazingly no. Yes, (Prime) Minister is really, really frighteningly close to the world of the Civil Service. Goatfaces rather crude surmation of the series (cunts, useless etc) rather misses the point that it's less about the tories/labour divide, more about the civil service and how the real power rests with them.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Kin posted:

Maybe we should have a vote as to the best in each category. We could do it AV style (unless you're too stupid to figure out AV :v:), so you knock out your preferences and boom, we get a decent list ranked in order of best to worst.

Woah there, if what I've been told over the last few months is true then if we use AV all the far-right comedies will end up at the top of the list.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp
Armando Iannucci cites Yes (Prime) Minister as an inspiration, and Adam Curtis has used it in his documentaries as a representation of how stuff really works in politics. That should be recommendation enough for anyone. And it's still relevant today, despite whatever party is nominally in power, because the civil service still holds the reins almost 30 years later.

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011

Sion posted:

Amazingly no. Yes, (Prime) Minister is really, really frighteningly close to the world of the Civil Service. Goatfaces rather crude surmation of the series (cunts, useless etc) rather misses the point that it's less about the tories/labour divide, more about the civil service and how the real power rests with them.

?

Two phones and trainers, running the country.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

MisterLizard posted:

Armando Iannucci cites Yes (Prime) Minister as an inspiration, and Adam Curtis has used it in his documentaries as a representation of how stuff really works in politics. That should be recommendation enough for anyone. And it's still relevant today, despite whatever party is nominally in power, because the civil service still holds the reins almost 30 years later.

This is something that really loving depresses me. Same with Spitting Image, and old episodes of HIGNFY: It's the same jokes. Nothing has changed, decade to decade it's exactly the same. Some of this stuff was released before I was born. Is our culture and political system so stagnant that social criticism is still applicable A THIRD OF A CENTURY later.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

ScipioAfro posted:

?

Two phones and trainers, running the country.

That's how they roll.
They are of value btw http://www.civilservant.org.uk/

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I'm not going to lie, I love Outnumbered and can't wait for the fourth series. A repeat of an episode from the third series was on today and I laughed as much as I did when I first watched it last year.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Quanta posted:

I'm not going to lie, I love Outnumbered and can't wait for the fourth series. A repeat of an episode from the third series was on today and I laughed as much as I did when I first watched it last year.

I caught it too. I've half watched a few, but I really enjoyed it tonight.

I think I might have dismissed it, because it's very easy to dismiss the BBC's efforts at family sitcoms, also Hugh Dennis often just annoys me.

But gently caress that, it's great fun. It's like the anti-myfamily.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Yes Minister holds up better than Yes Prime Minister but they're both good. The stuff in Yes Minister is depressingly timeless, Yes Prime Minister gets dated by lots of cold war stuff but is still brilliant. The writing is snappy, clever and charming. It's educational as well as being superb satire and very funny.

Bishy
May 2, 2003

Come on now Master Eugene

Kin posted:

Which is why (once we have the list) we have to argue the poo poo out. The Catherine Tate Show and Frankie Boyles Tramadol Nights are loving abortions, for example.

Burnistoun, on the other hand, is amazing:

I love Burnistoun. My favourite sketch is probably the lift one though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FFRoYhTJQQ

Apparently they've got a new show on the way to Channel 4 in the fairly near future.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Some of this stuff was released before I was born. Is our culture and political system so stagnant that social criticism is still applicable A THIRD OF A CENTURY later.

Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister were on sale for the whole thing on Amazon two years back and I picked up the whole thing. It's very easy to think they're talking about now, even so long after.
However - don't forget that Thatcher loved the show and it does have an air of "Ministers just want what is best for you, but all these loving civil servants are too busy being evil to let us do it!".

Incidentally I am surprised there's so little talk of the last episode of Psychoville considering the huge amount of stuff that happened. I'm really getting quite baffled by the story now - what was in the locket that they poured away, dammit?
It was strange to see the Being Human guy be nice, welsh and camp, him being evil is quite a pleasant return to form!

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Nothing has changed, decade to decade it's exactly the same. Some of this stuff was released before I was born. Is our culture and political system so stagnant that social criticism is still applicable A THIRD OF A CENTURY later.

Read some Roman and Greek literature. It was the same two thousand years ago, except Malcom Tucker was much more likely to have your head cut off when he got really pissed off. A member of my family used to work in a government department and aside from the fact that they use a modern postal system and email, the tone and content of Pliny's letters to Trajan are almost identical, even with thousands of years in between. Because people are fundamentally the same.

Even when we are beings of pure consciousness that travel at the speed of light in billions of years time there will be 'beings of pure consciousness that travel at the speed of light'-hipsters and 'beings of pure consciousness that travel at the speed of light'-footballers wives because people are always people.

Didn't you learn anything from Doctor Who?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ben Soosneb posted:

I caught it too. I've half watched a few, but I really enjoyed it tonight.

I think I might have dismissed it, because it's very easy to dismiss the BBC's efforts at family sitcoms, also Hugh Dennis often just annoys me.

But gently caress that, it's great fun. It's like the anti-myfamily.

Outnumbered is fantastic because it's not about coming up with "funny" one-liners and laughing at ineptitude, it takes the funny moments you have in real life with your family and puts them on screen. They found three incredibly strong child actors who are smart enough to understand why kids are funny while still being kids, who have a great sense of comic timing and who are totally adorable. I wish I had a little sister like Karen :3:

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Rarity posted:

Outnumbered is fantastic because it's not about coming up with "funny" one-liners and laughing at ineptitude, it takes the funny moments you have in real life with your family and puts them on screen. They found three incredibly strong child actors who are smart enough to understand why kids are funny while still being kids, who have a great sense of comic timing and who are totally adorable. I wish I had a little sister like Karen :3:

I read somewhere that the kids all 'semi improvise' their lines, so that's probably what makes it feel so natural. I kind of forget about Outnumbered or dismiss it, then when I catch an episode really enjoy it.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's made even better when the absurd things are so emotionally destructive to the characters. I was almost in tears when Mr Jelly smashed his hand, Mr Jolly is a spiteful motherfucker.

The hand moment was truly sad and a total shock. Of course, I don't know why I didn't see it coming given how unrelentingly badly this show treats its characters.

That said, the rate they're going through the cast, he probably doesn't have to worry about that for long...

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ChuckDHead posted:

The hand moment was truly sad and a total shock. Of course, I don't know why I didn't see it coming given how unrelentingly badly this show treats its characters.

That said, the rate they're going through the cast, he probably doesn't have to worry about that for long...

Mr Jelly is so... unwittingly clueless in a mean way that i don't think he's going to die at all. The funniest thing would be for him to survive, not know what the hell happened and then find he has no-one to grumble to about it.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
I just love that Surprise! The guy with all the Nazi memorabilia is actually a Nazi

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I just love that Surprise! The guy with all the Nazi memorabilia is actually a Nazi

It certainly came out the blue I got to say. Also, I'm still betting those were Hitlers ashes that were washed away last episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
You know it's probably going to be something really stupid right? Like a formula for dandruff shampoo.