Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

pr0zac posted:

If anyone gets this they are a huge nerd.

The jeep was the only non-moto vehicle in the original GTA that could lane split.

Videogames have never led me wrong. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KozmoNaut posted:

I drive a small hatchback. Some day the temptation will get the better of me.

I have lane-split in a Suzuki Alto. Had the biggest :smug:face whilst doing it.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 4, 2011

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Z3n posted:

I wouldn't bother. -1/+2 is only really good on bikes that have a top end biased powerband, and really tall gearing. Bandit 12s pull like monsters from idle, so you're not going to see much real world gain out of it. If you want to try it, just pick up a -1 tooth front sprocket and slap it in and see if you like it.

As a counterpoint, my Monster S2R 1000 has a pretty linear power band, and -1, +2 helped it considerably with the fuel injection being just weird and snatchy.

It's a completely different, way more awesome bike after the change. Not saying it's for every bike, but I use all six gears now and first and second are way, WAY more usable in city traffic after.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

A Duck! posted:

As a counterpoint, my Monster S2R 1000 has a pretty linear power band, and -1, +2 helped it considerably with the fuel injection being just weird and snatchy.

It's a completely different, way more awesome bike after the change. Not saying it's for every bike, but I use all six gears now and first and second are way, WAY more usable in city traffic after.

I've ridden the B12 and I wouldn't say it's a bike that needs gearing changes. I know there are some bikes that really benefit from it but in my opinion the bandit really doesn't need it.

Either way, a -1 front sprocket is cheap, easy to try, and will give you an idea if you want to shorten the gearing even more. :)

Ghostpilots
Sep 24, 2004

Vigilant Sidekick

Saga posted:

http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-dr350-1990-sl_model13190/partslist/FIG-14.html

If the actuator shaft (looks like #14 above) is attached to the cover or you moved it, it probably isn't engaging the clutch. Commonly happens if it's designed this way - you have to be careful putting the cover back on.

So do I replace the pull arm before putting the case back on and just really carefully slide it into place? I'm just not really sure HOW I go about making sure I'm replacing it properly.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I have lane-split in a Suzuki Alto. Had the biggest :smug:face whilst doing it.

What the poo poo. That's just unbelievable. Kudos to you for braving that!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Odette posted:

He forgot to mention that it resulted in a large insurance claim :v:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Odette posted:

Well it wasn't really full on split, just getting past some idiots who didn't move across properly to turn off and straddled the lane markers. They are loving tiny cars though.

BlackMK4 posted:

He forgot to mention that it resulted in a large insurance claim :v:

Hey, it wasn't mine. What good is a car-share service if you don't do ridiculous poo poo with the car?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Ghostpilots posted:

So do I replace the pull arm before putting the case back on and just really carefully slide it into place? I'm just not really sure HOW I go about making sure I'm replacing it properly.

Assuming that IS what's going on, yes, and it's just a bike by bike thing. Not having a DR350, I couldn't tell you.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ghostpilots posted:

Can you take some pictures? I have taken a dr350 apart but I have forgotten how they fit together.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
So I checked my odometer the other day just for fun and it turns out that the R6 has crept up to 26,000 miles on me. I want to go through the bike and refresh it to make sure everything is still happy.

So far I've come up with:

Clean (rebuild if necessary) brake calipers
Check steering head, wheel, and swingarm bearings
New fork fluid & fork seals

Basic maintenance (chain/sprockets, oil, brake fluid, coolant, etcetc) is always up to date and valves were done <10k ago. Any other suggestions for things I should at least check? Cam chain tensioner sounds a little funky so I might replace that as well. Anything I'm overlooking?

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Was driving home when suddenly I found that I was getting no power to my bike. WOT and *nothing*

So I figure I must be running out of gas. I'd been meaning to fill-up. No problem-o. I pull over and switch my tank to reserve. Crank the starter... nothing. Whoops, turns out I'd turned it to off by accident. Switch it to reserve. Crank the starter... nothing.

Freak out because I am in a bad part of town. Try to call Z3n. No answer. Try to call other bike friend. No answer.

Resolve to push bike home. Try it one more time. Starts up. I get it to a gas station. Fill up and limp home. I say limp home because I was still having throttle/power issues.

So I assume I ran out of gas. Then by switching to OFF instead of reserve, I screwed up the fuel somehow... then maybe flooded it after I switched back.

edit: Talked to a housemate of mine and he suggested I might have a fuel filter problem. Gonna have a look in the morning.

BlueBayou fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 7, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd try starting it up again this morning and see if you still have issues. Bikes can run funny when you start to run them out of gas. Also, any crap in the gas tank that builds up can get sucked up when you switch it to reserve, which is part of the reason why I always ran mine on reserve at all times. I was mid steak cooking when you called so I didn't have a free hand to answer the phone and I guess by the time I called you back you had already gotten it running again.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

ChesterJT posted:

The tight u-turn and cornering and braking are great but the cone weave still needs some work. I start to get a little wider on each weave so by the last cone I'm way out of position to make it. Just more practicing needed.

If you want some advice on this, you're not holding your throttle steady. Try to find a steady spot on the bars where you can rest your thumb, or hold on the the bar end weights with your pinky.

karms fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 7, 2011

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Z3n posted:

I'd try starting it up again this morning and see if you still have issues. Bikes can run funny when you start to run them out of gas. Also, any crap in the gas tank that builds up can get sucked up when you switch it to reserve, which is part of the reason why I always ran mine on reserve at all times. I was mid steak cooking when you called so I didn't have a free hand to answer the phone and I guess by the time I called you back you had already gotten it running again.

Yeah that's kinda what I've been thinking. I asked elsewhere online and it was suggested that there was just an issue with air getting in the line. And that if I just wait it out, it should be fine.

Ghostpilots
Sep 24, 2004

Vigilant Sidekick

Z3n posted:

Can you take some pictures? I have taken a dr350 apart but I have forgotten how they fit together.

Sure! It'll be about a week before I can work on the bike again due to work so this will be a learning experience for both of us!

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade
Because I'm absolutely terrible with electrical anything, I'm hoping someone here can point me at the right stuff to check and test with a short on an 82' GS450, because I can't find any obvious worn/crossed wires or inappropriate grounds.

Basically, with a new main fuse the bike turns on(headlights, tach, brake lights, etc) and seems fine, but when I flip the kill switch the fuse blows, what seems odd to me is that if I put a new fuse in and reconnect the battery with the switch in the run position the bike turns on fine again, but if I switch it to or from off or try hitting the starter button it blows the fuse.

I have a multimeter, but my understanding of how electrical systems function is terrible, so you may have to use small words here.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Quickie question about mufflers & pipes: what can I use for gasket material to help seal the area where the clamps go on? There was some reddish gunk on there when I bought it, but I've taken the mufflers off a few times, so most of it just crumbled away.

Bike in question is a 1980 Honda CB400T.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
I am a lowly apartment dweller with no garage. This is going to present a problem because I'm going to be working offshore for a month at a time starting in July. Can someone recommend a really good cover, and a really good anti-theft system? I live in a really low crime area but having my bike sit outside for a month kinda unnerves me.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

CombatMedic posted:

I am a lowly apartment dweller with no garage. This is going to present a problem because I'm going to be working offshore for a month at a time starting in July. Can someone recommend a really good cover, and a really good anti-theft system? I live in a really low crime area but having my bike sit outside for a month kinda unnerves me.

Do you have friends?

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

Not really, just moved here not long ago.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sounds like it's time for your bike to see what the inside of your apartment looks like.

Doctor Sex Butts
Feb 8, 2011

Keep rowing little buddy because if dehydration and starvation don't get you first, the horrible things from the depth will. :ohdear:
My GS500 lost power while cruising at about 50mph. I could still rev the engine but I wasn't getting anything to the wheels. Then when it dropped to about 20mph it just shut itself off. I stop, give it some crank and it hesitates for about 3 seconds then starts right up and rides back home like a champ.

I can't figure out what happened. I tried to reproduce the problem but after about 3 hours of trying I got nothing. It rides like nothing ever even happened. Battery is fine, I checked cables for any breakage, etc.

What could it possibly be?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Did you just fillup on gas? I've had that happen and it turned out i put in too much fuel and wasn't getting any air into the tank. Too much vaccuum built up for the engine to draw fuel and it shut off. Pop the gas cap open and relieve the pressure.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Chris Knight posted:

Quickie question about mufflers &amp; pipes: what can I use for gasket material to help seal the area where the clamps go on? There was some reddish gunk on there when I bought it, but I've taken the mufflers off a few times, so most of it just crumbled away.

The red stuff is probably RTV gasket sealant. Use sparingly as it gets everywhere and sticks good. Don't want any getting into your engine.

Doctor Sex Butts
Feb 8, 2011

Keep rowing little buddy because if dehydration and starvation don't get you first, the horrible things from the depth will. :ohdear:

Uthor posted:

Did you just fillup on gas? I've had that happen and it turned out i put in too much fuel and wasn't getting any air into the tank. Too much vaccuum built up for the engine to draw fuel and it shut off. Pop the gas cap open and relieve the pressure.

This could actually be it. I was in a gas station just minutes prior at let the fuel spill out of the tank (wasn't paying attention :v:). So the tank was definitely maxed out.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

CombatMedic posted:

Not really, just moved here not long ago.

Bring it inside

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Sounds like it's time for your bike to see what the inside of your apartment looks like.

If only I lived on the ground floor... when we can move, barring a garage, I'm storing my bike in the house. Storage units are expensive.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Just find something secure to chain it to, like a lamp post, and get one of those big fat OnGuard chains and a fuckoff lock, and chain it up by the rear wheel. Then put a cover on it, and get another lock and cable to lock the cover on, and also run that cable through the front wheel. Be sure the cover doesn't have any sort of brand indication.

No thief will bother with the trouble of cutting through the lock to get the cover off simply to find out if it's even a bike worth stealing when they'd still have to deal with the lock or chain on the rear wheel.

Doctor Sex Butts
Feb 8, 2011

CombatMedic posted:

Is closet space at a self-storage place prohibitively expensive? You can get a 5x10 space from Public Storage for $1 for one month. Otherwise, a month runs $35 in my area.

Doctor Sex Butts fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 8, 2011

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My wife and I shared a 10'x10' for a few months until our "family" grew with the addition of the 1150, now we occupy about 2/3 of a 20'x10' with another biker friend who also doesn't have a garage. Our unit is $200, it was difficult finding a place with 24 hour access, video surveillance, and that would allow gasoline to be stored inside.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

My wife probably (definitely) won't be down with having a motorcycle in the living room for a month. I'm gonna look into a storage locker. $35 for a month doesn't seem bad. I'll just need to find one that I won't have to sign a contract with.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking about doing a small fly & buy (about 420 miles from home). How do people bring the gear? ATGATT on the plane, tell everyone you are serious about safety? A bag large enough for all the gear seems like it would be uncomfortable to ride with.

The bike in question is a 2003 SV1000S. Anyone have anything specific to say about those, good or bad?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Helmet, gloves, and overpants fit in a small backpack. Just wear the jacket and boots onto the plane, it's not too bad, especially for an hour long flight.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I'm thinking about doing a small fly & buy (about 420 miles from home). How do people bring the gear? ATGATT on the plane, tell everyone you are serious about safety? A bag large enough for all the gear seems like it would be uncomfortable to ride with.

The bike in question is a 2003 SV1000S. Anyone have anything specific to say about those, good or bad?

Foldable bag, ship it home.

I wouldn't buy an SV1000S without having the chance to ride one first, if you know what you're getting, great. All of the issues with that bike are problems of personal taste, they're pretty solid mechanically.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

I wouldn't buy an SV1000S without having the chance to ride one first, if you know what you're getting, great. All of the issues with that bike are problems of personal taste, they're pretty solid mechanically.

Not quite sure I understand you correctly. You mean that the bike is solid mechanically, but that the SV1000 is a bike that has odd ergonomics or something?

Thanks for the replies.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Not quite sure I understand you correctly. You mean that the bike is solid mechanically, but that the SV1000 is a bike that has odd ergonomics or something?

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, that's what I mean.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Alright, thanks. I must admit I thought the 1000 and the 650 (which I have ridden a few times) where similar in that respect. I guess I'll just have to find one close by and try.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Alright, thanks. I must admit I thought the 1000 and the 650 (which I have ridden a few times) where similar in that respect. I guess I'll just have to find one close by and try.

Well, the 650 is nice because it's relatively light with a good amount of power, and the budget suspension is relatively easily addressed. The SV1k makes quite a bit more power but is also quite a bit heavier, and some people feel like that causes it to lose some of the fun factor that the 650 has. It's also much more of a standard than the bike it lifted the engine from, which was designed to be much more aggressive/racing inspired (TL1000S/R).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Chris Knight posted:

Quickie question about mufflers & pipes: what can I use for gasket material to help seal the area where the clamps go on? There was some reddish gunk on there when I bought it, but I've taken the mufflers off a few times, so most of it just crumbled away.

Had a rash of bikes recently at the shop, no pattern between them, which were all missing a special shim between the muffler and header. Who the hell knows how something like that gets lost. Just the other day one of the guys at the shop found this and it seemed to work real well, with some added scrap metal to take up the space.

Only registered members can see post attachments!