Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
The thing about the Old Republic trailers is that they're not supposed to get you amped up to watch a movie about Space Cowboy or Maori McTrooper. They're supposed to get you amped up about playing a basic MMO character that's kinda like that guy. Bitching that he looks too much like a cliche character is kinda like watching the old WoW intro and saying the guy in robes was just a flat character that shot fireballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

I think it's pretty obvious the droids were always comic relief to Lucas, and all the "skeleton" stuff is EU retconning from fans that feel like they have to be apologists.

True, but at least it's a good retcon- there are certainly enough Force-sensitive banthas and whatnot. I'm keeping my skeleton army no matter what you say :colbert:

Basic is also more common and less species specific than, say, Pak Pak or Skakoverbal

I always though the battle droids talked to each other in basic so that their non-droid controllers could monitor communications- probably to make sure, for instance, so they would know what happened if a pilot droid walked into a battle with a fusion cutter and a comlink when the command for "all troops, forward march" came through" and sent it a signal to stop and do what it's supposed to.

That too, doesn't makes as much sense as the most likely explanation: audiences don't speak binary, and you need the droids to telegraph their intentions the movies. Just like plot armor for the heroes.

Sunshine89 fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 8, 2011

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

Sunshine89 posted:

True, but at least it's a good retcon- there are certainly enough Force-sensitive banthas and whatnot. I'm keeping my skeleton army no matter what you say :colbert:

Basic is also more common and less species specific than, say, Pak Pak or Skakoverbal

I always though the battle droids talked to each other in basic so that their non-droid controllers could monitor communications- probably to make sure, for instance, so they would know what happened if a pilot droid walked into a battle with a fusion cutter and a comlink when the command for "all troops, forward march" came through" and sent it a signal to stop and do what it's supposed to.

The simple answer for the verbal communication is that it gives the audience information on the plot and what is going on. Imagine every scene of 3PO and R2 in the original series being devoid of intelligible dialog. Sure it would certainly make more sense for them both to communicate through some super-fast droid-only communication method, but it would also be boring as hell and would make their interactions meaningless without some external exposition to tell the audience what the hell is going on. In other words: Keeping the audience informed is more important and often makes for better a better movie than being entirely logical with regards to technology.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

Also, does the Techno Union listen to Techno? Because gently caress them all the more if they do.

Yes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy3yPI86Z1k

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

omgLerkHat! posted:

The simple answer for the verbal communication is that it gives the audience information on the plot and what is going on. Imagine every scene of 3PO and R2 in the original series being devoid of intelligible dialog. Sure it would certainly make more sense for them both to communicate through some super-fast droid-only communication method, but it would also be boring as hell and would make their interactions meaningless without some external exposition to tell the audience what the hell is going on. In other words: Keeping the audience informed is more important and often makes for better a better movie than being entirely logical with regards to technology.

Well, the R2/3PO scenes were halfway there in terms of being intelligible dialog. 3PO speaking back in English made sense as his purpose was "Human/Cyborg relations."

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
In honor of Liam Neeson's birthday today, I decided to watch Phantom Menace and my two biggest complaints are both about the ending:

1. Note to George: I don't give a poo poo about anything in the finale that isn't the lightsaber battle. Don't intersperse Jake Lloyd doing a thing or Jar Jar flatulence scenes in the middle of the lightsaber fight I waited all movie for, you cocks.

2. Having those stupid rotating loving forcefields is the stupidest, most video game-style bullshit I've ever seen in my life what the gently caress gently caress you George Lukeass you stupid dick

Other than that, it still sucks.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

NeonTurtle posted:

Well, the R2/3PO scenes were halfway there in terms of being intelligible dialog. 3PO speaking back in English made sense as his purpose was "Human/Cyborg relations."

But in one of the NJO books - Rebel Stand or Rebel Dream, can't remember which - 3PO and one of Lando's battle droids have a lengthy philosophical discussion about death in the span of time that it takes for a spark to fly off a ship during repairs, clearly indicating some sort of super-fast droidspeak.

So no, it doesn't make sense :spergin:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Razorwired posted:

The thing about the Old Republic trailers is that they're not supposed to get you amped up to watch a movie about Space Cowboy or Maori McTrooper. They're supposed to get you amped up about playing a basic MMO character that's kinda like that guy. Bitching that he looks too much like a cliche character is kinda like watching the old WoW intro and saying the guy in robes was just a flat character that shot fireballs.

Yeah that is true. The trailers have gotten me interested in the trooper the most. Possibly since I guess they are farthest away from the Lucas movie versions. Troopers were never that bad rear end in the movies.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Torael_7 posted:

But in one of the NJO books - Rebel Stand or Rebel Dream, can't remember which - 3PO and one of Lando's battle droids have a lengthy philosophical discussion about death in the span of time that it takes for a spark to fly off a ship during repairs, clearly indicating some sort of super-fast droidspeak.

I was going to ask if there are any other books dealing with the more philosophical aspects of droids, but then I realized that Isaac Asimov has probably already written it and better.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

NeonTurtle posted:

Well, we only got about a minute with him. We didn't even get a name. He's like Han Solo from the Star Wars theatrical trailer. We don't know poo poo about him.

Cowboy dude isn't like Han Solo, he literally is Han Solo. He is a smuggler who flies a broken down piece of poo poo that is still the fastest ship in the quadrant, and he is drat :smug: about it. We see him first after he botched a run, like Solo. He helps the heroes escape a space station and they shoot at TIE-Fighters that pursue them.

I was surprised he didn't have a large green bunny as a co-pilot. Just a lovely droid he shouts "Fire up the hyper-drive" at.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Torael_7 posted:

Ugh, I thought I was able to block that from my memory but clearly not. I never understood that scene, mostly because it's so different than anything we ever see droids doing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Geddy Krueger posted:

Hey man don't talk poo poo about horse pilot he's badass as gently caress :colbert:

You rang?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

You rang?

How could anyone dislike Runt? I thought that was impossible :horse:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Admiral Goodenough posted:

How could anyone dislike Runt? I thought that was impossible :horse:

Says the man with the Horse-whisperer avatar :v:

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

Says the man with the Horse-whisperer avatar :v:

That movie had a profound effect on me as a young girl, okay <:mad:>

Never actually seen it

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

That movie had a profound effect on me as a young girl, okay <:mad:>

Never actually seen it

Two failed assumptions in one post, I am the new Bossk :(

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

Two failed assumptions in one post, I am the new Bossk :(

Have some lovely Steampunk Vader as a consolation.

(Is he wearing a suit underneath? :psyduck:)

e. v v v Yeah, you're probably right. The blog post I found it in labeled it steampunk so I just rolled with that.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 8, 2011

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

(Is he wearing a suit underneath? :psyduck:)

Pretty sure WWII-era isn't steampunk. It looks to me like an attempt to do Vader by way of Toht (from Raiders).

Interesting concept. It'd be neat if he'd pulled it off.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Ha, steampunk Vader reminded me of the guy who made actio figures of Star Wars characters in various themes.

http://www.sillof.com/C-CUSTOMS-Main.htm

Noir Wars

West Wars

Samurai Wars

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Nckdictator posted:

That's a pretty loving awesome Tarkin on the left. I would love to have seen Peter Cushing play a gangster.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
Is it Tarkin? Based on the Western villains I'd assume it was Boba Fett (Western Fett is awesome).

Edit: The linked page backs me up on this, saying his name is Bruno Feretta. The page also has color shots, which make it much more obvious.

Geddy Krueger fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 8, 2011

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

gently caress, everything that guy makes is amazing. He even made a Deak Starkiller based on that one piece of McQuarrie artwork:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I can't decide if Giant Russian Immigrant Chewbacca is my favorite or if Pimp Vader is. Those all own, holy poo poo

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
Turning a giant, furry, mostly incomprehensible alien into a giant, hairy, mostly incomprehensible foreigner was a stroke of genius. I highly recommend you look at some of the other, non-Star Wars sections on that page too for some more cool custom stuff the artist has done.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Han Solo powered down the magnabike with a not quite unhearble hum and checked his chronometer. “drat.” he hissed threw his clinched teeth which were surrounded by the stubble of five days where in he had not shaven himself at all. It was almost chromodawn at Clashpoint. Alreddy the sun was sitting Walliston’s Hill ah blaze like so much molten meddle or a coin, gyreating in the air, tossed there by the uncaring hand of an imaginary god that doesn’t exist, borne from the interior minds of the hobbled masses. The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange. drat, he, Solo, thought. We thought we were opening a new beginning with our mad dreams of time travail but ironically the only time now is the time of which we’re out of. It’s almost humorous. Yeah, I could almost laugh, if I hadn’t cried that part of me away when my parents were maccasared by Darth Vader and the government sanctioned murderers of “THE EMPIRE”.

He lit a Nicosheen brand swaggerette and took a dip drag, sinking farther into his inferior horologue. He thought of Leia and her mellifluous buttocks that he used to love to bang. Even now his nano enhanced hearing could almost hear her vagina lips quivering with moisture and also pleasure, like a slice of synth-ham being tongued by one of Vader’s slamhounds. When he got back to Alderaan, he was going to do some sex, no doubt about that. “That’s right doll” he said to nobody and the wind. They were going to do it hard. He smiled, blowing smoke from his nostrils. They were going to do it cyber hard.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Imagine four Death Stars on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the Death Star nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of Death Stars and takes the place of the first Death Star. The formerly first Death Star becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

The Force works the same way.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

I was going to ask if there are any other books dealing with the more philosophical aspects of droids, but then I realized that Isaac Asimov has probably already written it and better.

If Knights of the Old Republic II counts, I think G0-T0's subplot is a pretty great homage to Asimov. You have to, y'know, actually talk to him and suck up to him and complete some techy sidequests, but trust me, the revelation is worth it. The problem is that G0-T0 is pretty useless and is so uninteresting at first blush that nobody wants to get to know him, so they never find out what makes him so cool! I mean, besides his appearance.

He's pretty much the li'l floaty interrogator droid from ANH, except flipped upside-down and sporting a HAL-9000 "eye."

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Nckdictator posted:

Imagine four Death Stars on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the Death Star nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of Death Stars and takes the place of the first Death Star. The formerly first Death Star becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

The Force works the same way.

Imagine four Boba Fetts on the edge of a sarlacc pit. Say a direct copy of the Boba Fett nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of Boba Fetts and takes the place of the first Boba Fett. The formerly first Boba Fett becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls into the sarlacc pit.

The EU works the same way.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
I suck at reading :(

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

that awful man posted:

Imagine four Boba Fetts on the edge of a sarlacc pit. Say a direct copy of the Boba Fett nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of Boba Fetts and takes the place of the first Boba Fett. The formerly first Boba Fett becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls into the sarlacc pit.

"The EU works the same way" would imply that it would all end sometime, wouldn't it? :v:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

that awful man posted:

Which one has the plans for the Death Star?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Grendels Dad posted:

Which one has the plans for the Death Star?

You almost made me spit my coffee rear end in a top hat. :golfclap:

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

Nckdictator posted:

Ha, steampunk Vader reminded me of the guy who made actio figures of Star Wars characters in various themes.

This dude is incredible. I hope he gets a job with Hasbro or something. Luckily he's not also amazing at drawing. I'd have sent him an angry e-mail out of envy.

3. Did you go to school for this?
I have no formal art training, other then art classes in middle school. If something turns out good, it is just from years of practice, or luck.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Azzmo posted:

This dude is incredible. I hope he gets a job with Hasbro or something. Luckily he's not also amazing at drawing. I'd have sent him an angry e-mail out of envy.

3. Did you go to school for this?
I have no formal art training, other then art classes in middle school. If something turns out good, it is just from years of practice, or luck.

His work never ceases to impress me. I can't seem to figure out what scale he's working at, though. 3 3/4" seems like the obvious choice, but they look a bit too detailed for being that small.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
We should do a scavenger hunt where we take random screencaps from the movie and find the character's life story and at what point in the continuity the death star plans passed through their hands.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Did you guys know that Zuckuss is Force-sensitive? I wish I didn't.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Tensokuu posted:

We should have a depressing/enraging Star Wars fact of the day.
Told my GF that Chewie dies in the EU.
"That's horrible!"
"Oh, it's just the tip of the iceberg..."

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Pope Mobile posted:

We should have a depressing/enraging Star Wars fact of the day.
Told my GF that Chewie dies in the EU.
"That's horrible!"
"Oh, it's just the tip of the iceberg..."

Chewie didn't die. He faked his death so he could go and do something fun for a change instead having to watch over Han Solo and his stupid kids for all eternity.

Edit:

Tensokuu posted:

Force-sensitive is the Aspberger's Syndrome of the Star Wars universe. There are only very few who are actually force sensitive. The rest claim they are because they think it makes them special and gives them a reason to be an anti-social jerkass. There's no telling how many "Are you Force Sensitive?" quizzes there are on the Holo-net.

NeonTurtle fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 9, 2011

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

NeonTurtle posted:

Chewie didn't die. He faked his death so he could go and do something fun for a change instead having to watch over Han Solo and his stupid kids for all eternity.

I actually checked the wiki entry. Kept reading after his death. Found this glorious quote:

"CHEWIE!"
¯Han Solo, right after accidentally killing Chewbacca while fighting the Dark Apprentice[src]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

Tensokuu posted:

Urgh.

So, aside Han Solo and Bobba Fett, who isn't Force sensitive?