Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

HalloKitty posted:

What? Ah christ! I should have known there was a reason MX518s were being sold off. MX518 with even better tracking (is that possible?) and a clean looking matte finish on the top? Sounds like perfect, small refinements, and I'm sure it'll be a highly successful mouse. I know I'll buy one when my replacement MX518 breaks, although that will probably be after the sun fades out going by my current one..

I'm glad a fancy wheel wasn't added, or any tilt features. I still remember having an MX1000 and getting frustrated at the fact I would click the mouse wheel to one side instead of straight down.. Also, moving your middle finger left and right is such a ridiculously cumbersome movement

I was under the impression that the G500 is the most current successor to the MX518:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G500-Programmable-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B002J9GDXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307642149&sr=8-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
We just announced the G400 today. It's not on Amazon yet. The G500 is a separate tier - laser, weight tuning, higher DPI, etc. G400 is a sensor and report rate upgrade, plus a surface decoration change to MX518.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Goo posted:

We just announced the G400 today. It's not on Amazon yet. The G500 is a separate tier - laser, weight tuning, higher DPI, etc. G400 is a sensor and report rate upgrade, plus a surface decoration change to MX518.

Oooh thanks. I will have to check this out. Did not realize you worked for Logitech!

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
I participate in the thread sparingly so that I don't look like I'm just whoring out our stuff, but I've been working on the G400 for a year now so I couldn't resist talking about it.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Goo posted:

I participate in the thread sparingly so that I don't look like I'm just whoring out our stuff, but I've been working on the G400 for a year now so I couldn't resist talking about it.

Very glad you posted. Now there is something else on my want list.

Since you are that close to the design process, are there any improvements being made to how the teflon feet are attached? That is always the failure point of my logitech mice. They eventually slide around or slide off when the glue fails.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
We do pretty severe environmental testing to ensure that the glue stays on for longer than the time we warrant the product for. I can check into having that improved for the future, though.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

OK fair enough. It fails after 3 years. Still sad to see it go when the rest of the mouse is fine though :P

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

headcase posted:

OK fair enough. It fails after 3 years. Still sad to see it go when the rest of the mouse is fine though :P

If you have one of the older ones, I don't know if you noticed, but the new ones don't have the tiny little feet, but instead, a huge gently caress off one top and bottom..

Maybe that'll make a huge difference to how well it stays on?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

That does sound like an improvement. I'm rockin' a G700 right now. Love it.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
Have there been any good deals on a G700? My scouring lately has yielded nothing.

I use an MX1000 right now, and it's starting to slowly bite the dust (~2-3 days between charges tops), pads on bottom coming off, crusty from many long hours of gaming on hot summer nights (my hands sweat way too much, i hate it), middle click no longer works (used to be my ptt). Great mouse for 5-6 years though. Maybe I should call support or trade up.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
Goo, please tell me that logitech has been secretly working on an update to the Trackman Marble FX. :(

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Whether we're actually working on anything or not, I'm strictly forbidden from discussing products that do not appear (or have not appeared in the past) on our website.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Can you tell us when we can expect to purchase the G400? I need a new mouse and am a fan of the MX and G500, so a G400 sounds like a great mouse to me.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
It will be at Best Buy starting June 19, in China sometime in mid to late June, and in the rest of AP/Japan plus Europe starting in mid to late July.

Here's the link to the announcement page if you've got more questions about the product. I can also continue answering questions here as well, if the mods don't mind.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'll be getting one of these on June 19th, definitely.

A Child's Letter
Feb 21, 2005

"¡No llores! Gracias por esas fotos."
\
:backtowork:

Goo posted:

I can also continue answering questions here as well, if the mods don't mind.

Why do you guys hate left-handed people? :(

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

A Child's Letter posted:

Why do you guys hate left-handed people? :(

I've done some research for crappy affiliate site http://www.thebestmouse.com/ and it turns out you're pretty much screwed. Your choices really seem to only be mice without a curve or the Razer Death Adder Left Handed edition. At least as far as easily purchasable mice go.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 10, 2011

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
I like left-handed people, but they never seem to actually buy the left-handed mice we ship.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp
Should at least come up with a decent ambidextrous mouse. Plenty of gamers prefer them to shaped mice.

A Child's Letter
Feb 21, 2005

"¡No llores! Gracias por esas fotos."
\
:backtowork:

Goo posted:

I like left-handed people, but they never seem to actually buy the left-handed mice we ship.

I bought the left-handed 610! :mad:

...but returned it because it kept dropping out during games. If there'd been a wired version of that, that's what I'd be using today. :(

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

weapey posted:

Should at least come up with a decent ambidextrous mouse. Plenty of gamers prefer them to shaped mice.

They made the MX300 and I think they even still make some crappy budget mice with the same shape. Best ambidextrous mouse ever made, and when the last of the refurbs I bought back in 2005 fails I'll probably bury them next to my childhood pets. :smith: Why can't you guys bring it back?

Also don't they still sell the G1 in Korea?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Goo posted:

Whether we're actually working on anything or not, I'm strictly forbidden from discussing products that do not appear (or have not appeared in the past) on our website.

Can you say anything about SetPoint development? Namely, if there's any going on beyond hotfixing stuff?

Because while it's pretty drat good on features now, I feel that it still needs a fair bit of work on the usability front. Most tasks require about four mouse clicks more than they should, and 'reading' your configuration is also a bit of a pain.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Goo posted:

Don't know if you'd know anything about it or can answer it, but do you know if Logitech is planning a firmware fix for the reversal bug on the non-stick axes on the G940? They fixed it on the stick a few months ago, but the other axes are still jacked up, and it sounds like a firmware fix would work for them too.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 10, 2011

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
A Child's Letter - sorry the MX610 didn't work for you. :(

NihilCredo - I am a product manager for new gaming mice, so I do not have insight into the SetPoint development calendar or plans for future features. The G400 will not use SetPoint, but rather will be integrated into Logitech Gaming Software v8.0 so it can share an interface with the G-Series keyboards. This gives you a lot more flexibility in the features of the product, the convenience of creating a single game profile for your keyboard and mouse, and the ability to create a macro or LUA script once and assign it to either product.

sixide and weapey - I'm hearing a lot of requests for a replacement for the MX300/G3 and I am definitely paying attention to them. And yes, the G1 is available in Korea and also China.

Dominoes - I will ask the product manager for the G940 tomorrow. He and I work together a lot (his cubicle is next to mine) but I don't really pay attention to that product line because flight sims are about as thrilling as vector calculus to me.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Does the G400 have angle snapping?

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Yes.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Goo posted:

We are replacing the MX518 with the G400, which does not have a glossy keyplate. It still has the soft-touch sides, though.

The G400 looks fantastic. Can't wait to pick one up. And hey, logitech finally took a mouse with the MX518 body style and gave it a finish that I wouldn't be ashamed to be seen at work using!

Oh, and just for future reference, please don't ever retire the body style of the MX518/G5. Those things are so ergonomic and comfortable it's ridiculous. Best mice ever made.

I do have a question or two though. How many DPI settings are available at once with that mouse? Are there LEDs somewhere on it to display which DPI setting you're on, or are we just going to need to remember it? And will we be able to choose how many DPI settings will be available at once? And finally, is the G400's mouse wheel the same internally as the G5 or the MX518? Because I have to say, that was probably the area of the mice that could have used the most improvement. The wheel for the MX518 kind of squeaked when you rolled it, and the G5's wheel was easy to press right and left, but it took a really, uncomfortably high amount of force to press. If the G400 has an improved wheel, I'll probably buy like 5 of the things and never worry about mice again.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 10, 2011

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
There are 4 DPI settings out of the box - 400, 800 (default), 1800, and 3600. There are no indicator LEDs on the mouse - as with the MX518, you know what DPI setting you're using by the way the mouse is responding when you move it.

You can modify these settings with the LGS software. Here is a screenshot of the LGS 8.0 pointer settings view for G400.

(my hosting - click for full-size)

You can see that you can have anywhere from 1-5 DPI levels at anywhere between 200 and 3600 DPI with the software installed, plus you can separate X and Y DPI levels and set different "default" and "shift" DPI values. DPI Shift is a feature that lets you momentarily change the DPI of the mouse while the button is held, then have it immediately change back to the previous value when it's let go.

The wheel of the G400 is physically identical to the wheel of the MX518.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
we so excited!

Honestly, someone else beat me to it, but I wanted to say that i'm really happy that Logitech made a mouse that has the best features but isn't covered in some odd looking skin. This is like a stealth version of an MX 518.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...
That...looks like a sensible and awesome mouse with no "rice" attached. I can't deal with cords anymore though, so the MX line will have to do for me.

I feel...dirty for ever wanting a R.A.T.9.

logitech, please forgive me :(

also, you might as well just start offering your high end mice in packs of 3. They still hand these out at work and it makes me die a little inside. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105080&cm_re=microsoft_mouse-_-26-105-080-_-Product

thrawn86 fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 10, 2011

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...
quote!=edit

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

thrawn86 posted:

That...looks like a sensible and awesome mouse with no "rice" attached. I can't deal with cords anymore though, so the MX line will have to do for me.

I feel...dirty for ever wanting a R.A.T.9.

logitech, please forgive me :(

also, you might as well just start offering your high end mice in packs of 3. They still hand these out at work and it makes me die a little inside. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105080&cm_re=microsoft_mouse-_-26-105-080-_-Product

I like my R.A.T.9 .

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Goo posted:

Yes.

Why? Who actually wants it?

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Angle snapping was present in MX518, and people bought a ridiculous number of them and repeatedly called it the best gaming mouse ever. That is not a specific "why" or "who" but it's the best answer I can give you without sounding argumentative.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Hey Goo, lately, Logitech has been experimenting with different grains of rubber finishes on their mice. Will the G400's rubber parts be finished in the same rubber grain as the MX518?

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
The soft-touch finish on the side of the MX518/G400 is actually a special type of paint. For the G400 this paint has been reformulated in an effort to make it somewhat more durable, but it should feel pretty much the same as the MX518.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Goo posted:

The soft-touch finish on the side of the MX518/G400 is actually a special type of paint. For the G400 this paint has been reformulated in an effort to make it somewhat more durable, but it should feel pretty much the same as the MX518.

Good to hear. Because honestly, the larger-grained finishes were basically the biggest reasons I returned both the G500 and G700 mice back to the store when I bought them to try them out.

I'm glad the G400's finish will be finer grained. Again, can't wait to pick one up!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Goo posted:

Angle snapping was present in MX518, and people bought a ridiculous number of them and repeatedly called it the best gaming mouse ever. That is not a specific "why" or "who" but it's the best answer I can give you without sounding argumentative.

Gamers buy Logitech mice primarily because of the build quality and warranty support. Razer's products are still incredibly poorly built and almost everything else also has snapping but is more expensive and probably less reliable. It's annoying to see really stupid decisions like this being made by the company that basically runs the specialty mouse industry because it trickles down through the rest of the options we have. It's not like you couldn't make it an option for people who wanted it.

I am glad you guys aren't loving with the scroll wheel, though. The MX518's is the most functional and usable of any mouse out there.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

K8.0 posted:

The MX518's is the most functional and usable of any mouse out there.
I really liked the MX-revolution's scroll wheel that automatically switched between click and free spin modes; I wish my G9 had that functionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

I literally just ordered a Mionix NAOS 5000 to replace my finally worn out mx518, and then I come to this thread and see the g400. THEN I checked the order status to see if I could cancel but it's just been shipped. Oh well, I'll see how it goes and if I don't like it I'll try the g400!