Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Vehementi posted:

No it's just anonymous user #5000 :)

Oh yeah, and if you read the fine print on shaw's "bump you up to the next package" thing, they will bump you up to the next package for the remainder of the month, but charge you the full price difference between packages, as if you had been on that other package the whole time, instead of the prorated difference. gently caress shaw forever

They teksavvy cable options are much better then shaws in terms of price point btw you should put those there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Sprawl posted:

They teksavvy cable options are much better then shaws in terms of price point btw you should put those there.

Is that available in Vancouver? I checked my postal code and it said No. Is it these listings? http://www.teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp -> Cable

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Vehementi posted:

Is that available in Vancouver? I checked my postal code and it said No. Is it these listings? http://www.teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp -> Cable

Make sure you change your province to BC, it was available at my house yes.

edit: you just put in the ontario rates bc ones are different.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
mother gently caress

edit: You're right, those are pretty solid for data.

edit: saw your other edit, added Telus Optik. It has to be bundled though :(

https://spreadsheets1.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=td-Y0JFhwUTnlPiLwoiTX_g&authkey=CKDvt6oB#gid=0

Vehementi fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 10, 2011

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Hmm looking at the Shaw 100mbps prices is quite tempting since I already have cable.

But now I've realized that my wrt54gl can only do about 50mbps down. Any suggestions for a router that supports 250mbps (for future proofing) down and also works with ddwrt or tomato?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I do believe it's time for a title change

Loving shaw right now.

Just got 100/10 for $30 less than i was paying for 50/2 with their new packages, and some time in august 250/15 is supposed to become available for 20 bucks more.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Squibbles posted:

Hmm looking at the Shaw 100mbps prices is quite tempting since I already have cable.

But now I've realized that my wrt54gl can only do about 50mbps down. Any suggestions for a router that supports 250mbps (for future proofing) down and also works with ddwrt or tomato?

Wireless or wired?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Sprawl posted:

Wireless or wired?

Ideally it would have some sort of wifi but speed is not important on that part. All the actual PC's are wired. We'd just use wifi for phones and the laptop for light surfing duties.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Squibbles posted:

Ideally it would have some sort of wifi but speed is not important on that part. All the actual PC's are wired. We'd just use wifi for phones and the laptop for light surfing duties.
Any generic gigabit router would work then just make sure the wires in the wall are gigabit.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Sprawl posted:

Any generic gigabit router would work then just make sure the wires in the wall are gigabit.

Well, I was hoping for one that could run dd-wrt since it's usually pretty stable as opposed to a lot of off the shelf routers. I see this site keeps track of throughput speeds of some routers: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/view

I was hoping someone might know one off hand that used dd-wrt rather than me having to check each one against the supported list :)

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
If anyone else was planning on going for 100mbps+ I did a little research last night and settled on getting the Netgear WNDR3700. Apparently it's pretty decent and is supported by DD-WRT. Plus it's on sale this week at NCIX :)

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Interesting, I hadn't considered that a router would have a maximum throughput. Maybe it's time to retire the WRT54GL. Ncix has the WRT400N on for $100 right now.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

ZShakespeare posted:

Interesting, I hadn't considered that a router would have a maximum throughput. Maybe it's time to retire the WRT54GL. Ncix has the WRT400N on for $100 right now.

Hmm, there's a review up of that:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...router-reviewed

It shows it only supporting 200 max connections? That kinda sucks for torrents. Also the throughput is apparently 98mbps which would be pretty much maxing out the router if you got one of those new shaw connections. Maybe it's better if you put DD-WRT on it or something?

That Netgear WNDR3700 seems pretty nice and it's $120 at ncix this week.

Fractal Cat
Jun 25, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!
I've been using the TP-link TL-WR941ND for about six months now with DD-WRT installed and it has worked fine, once the connection time out was changed to 5 minuts.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Squibbles posted:

If anyone else was planning on going for 100mbps+ I did a little research last night and settled on getting the Netgear WNDR3700. Apparently it's pretty decent and is supported by DD-WRT. Plus it's on sale this week at NCIX :)

I have one of these running Netgear's firmware and the interface is a little clumsy but I've not any any issues at all with it.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I have a netgear 3700, and its peen pretty easy to use, all things considered. I don't know what speeds are like, can anyone point me in the direction of some kind of test program? I'd love to have something to benchmark it with.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

TrueChaos posted:

I have a netgear 3700, and its peen pretty easy to use, all things considered. I don't know what speeds are like, can anyone point me in the direction of some kind of test program? I'd love to have something to benchmark it with.

That one router review site talks about how they do it here: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-howto/26563-how-we-test-hardware-routers-

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The Wndr3700 is a great router. I'm running it with OpenWRT and it's been solid.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Squibbles posted:

Hmm, there's a review up of that:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...router-reviewed

It shows it only supporting 200 max connections? That kinda sucks for torrents. Also the throughput is apparently 98mbps which would be pretty much maxing out the router if you got one of those new shaw connections. Maybe it's better if you put DD-WRT on it or something?

That Netgear WNDR3700 seems pretty nice and it's $120 at ncix this week.

the dd-wrt wiki claims 300Mbps for the WRT400N, but I have no idea how they got that number. I'd probably trust your link.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

ZShakespeare posted:

the dd-wrt wiki claims 300Mbps for the WRT400N, but I have no idea how they got that number. I'd probably trust your link.

Oh, the other thing is that apparently DOCSIS 3.0 modems won't do "channel bonding" if you connect them to a 10/100 port on your router. That means they won't go full speed unless they are connected to a 10/100/1000 WAN port I think.

vvv Future netgear buddies :):hf::) vvv

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 10, 2011

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Yeah, upon doing my research, the WNDR3700 is definitely the better buy. Thanks for pointing that out. My old WRT54GL is starting to display some odd behavior, and I think that the nvram is going. It's almost 6 years old now so I'm not too torn up about it. I'll probably pick up the Netgear from NCIX before the sale expires.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Squibbles posted:

Oh, the other thing is that apparently DOCSIS 3.0 modems won't do "channel bonding" if you connect them to a 10/100 port on your router. That means they won't go full speed unless they are connected to a 10/100/1000 WAN port I think.

vvv Future netgear buddies :):hf::) vvv

Channel bonding happens on the CMTS and Edge Card, it should have 0 to do with your home equipment.

edit: outside of your cable modem that is.

Stanley Pain fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 10, 2011

Sir Liquid Jerk
Aug 10, 2002
I have Ham Armor +5!
I got BB100 from Shaw today and they gave me this SMC SMCD3GN modem/gateway combo but I just want to set it to bridge mode and use my own WNDR3700 but I can't find the option anywhere is it possible?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sir Liquid Jerk posted:

I got BB100 from Shaw today and they gave me this SMC SMCD3GN modem/gateway combo but I just want to set it to bridge mode and use my own WNDR3700 but I can't find the option anywhere is it possible?

You might not be able to. However putting the IP of the wireless router into the DMZ will do the same thing.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I also have a WNDR3700 and recently sold it to a friend and picked up a WNDR4000. Both are fast, stable, and have great wireless range. Very excellent routers.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sir Liquid Jerk posted:

You have to get Shaw to do it, and they can do it over the phone.

I initially had mine set to bridge mode, hooked up to my Cisco E3200 router. For whatever reason though, the thing was bottlnecked to around 87mbs, it would never go higher. Called Shaw and had it set to gateway mode, and hooked my stuff directly to it, and now I can hit the 100mbs ceiling on my connections. The SMC isn't the greatest router ever, but it gets the job done if you don't need any extended features found in better routers or DD-WRT/Tomato setups.

Either way, Shaw is upgrading to Cisco modem/routers in about a months time, so people can upgrade then if need be.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So bell is coming tomorrow to set up dryloop, want to place bets on if they actually show up this time? XD

DarkStryke
Jun 7, 2006

I've moved to Broadband50mbit on Shaw. Prime-time for two nights now I'm hitting just over 48mbit/s, morning hours it's a tiny bit over 50.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Sweet Jesus, I can't believe shaw is rolling out 200mbit Internet connections in the fall. Finally connections that are truly ridiculous are in our reach.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Stanley Pain posted:

Channel bonding happens on the CMTS and Edge Card, it should have 0 to do with your home equipment.

edit: outside of your cable modem that is.

I was reading on the dslreports forum that for some reason a lot of docsis 3.0 modems will refuse to enable channel bonding unless they are connected to a gigabit device. There was mention of the lights changing to a different colour to indicate this and such. I have no idea why that would be though, other than a lot of 10/100 routers not supporting a full 100mbps of throughput.

Maybe it's BS. I saw the discussion here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25918311-So-do-I-need-a-gigabit-router-for-100Mbps-

Sir Liquid Jerk
Aug 10, 2002
I have Ham Armor +5!

Frank Dillinger posted:

Sweet Jesus, I can't believe shaw is rolling out 200mbit Internet connections in the fall. Finally connections that are truly ridiculous are in our reach.

Saturating my BB100 at close to 11mb/s from a ubuntu torrent is mind blowing because I remember sitting waiting patiently for the titty pictures to load pixel by pixel on my 14.4 dialup. The BB100 is probably overkill, I could have 10 HD videos streaming with bandwidth to spare but I think double the speed is worth it for 10 bucks more a month.

Does anyone remember what speed the first Shaw @ Home cable connections were?

DarkStryke
Jun 7, 2006

I don't know about Shaw, but out west in B.C when BCTel released the MMG DSL service in 1998 it was 4mbit / 640 kbit to put things in perspective. I was very close to the telco (less then 1km) so my speeds were as advertized.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Where did these new Shaw broadband connections come from? I'd love to stick to Novus but it's hard to convince myself to when I can get 50mbit with 400gb cap at the same price as 20mbit with 125gb cap.

Oh wait, if I compare bundling TV+Phone+Internet together on Novus vs Shaw, Novus comes out the winner by a huge margin. I guess that's the catch.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

DarkStryke posted:

I don't know about Shaw, but out west in B.C when BCTel released the MMG DSL service in 1998 it was 4mbit / 640 kbit to put things in perspective. I was very close to the telco (less then 1km) so my speeds were as advertized.

Our house was a test house for Rogers Wave cable internet when they first started rolling it out. It was a blazing fast 500kbps powered by a Zenith cable modem. The modem got so hot that it actually melted its casing one day much to the amusement of the Rogers techs.

Still at the time (~1997-98 I think) it was like someone had just given me the keys to a Bugatti Veyron. I'd been on 14.4 dialup before that. This is why this UBB stuff really gets me. Back then Rogers was excited about being able to provide a unlimited hyper fast pipe to the internet right in customers homes.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I remember back when Rogers had Shaw's current territory, our first cable modem was a Lancity brand. The entire casing of the modem was made of metal, and had huge fins on it. Essentially the case served as it's own heatsink. Thing was big too and weighed something like 8 pounds.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I remember back when Rogers had Shaw's current territory, our first cable modem was a Lancity brand. The entire casing of the modem was made of metal, and had huge fins on it. Essentially the case served as it's own heatsink. Thing was big too and weighed something like 8 pounds.

My first WAVE (later Rogers@Home) modem (before the Rogers/Shaw territory swap) was a Terayon Terapro 200.

I still remember the IP address I had growing up: 24.76.222.239.

less than three fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jun 11, 2011

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Why did Rogers and Shaw swap territory anyway?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'm not sure if the full story was ever revealed, but I've heard everything from Ted Rogers and the Shaws being good friends and saying "What the hell, it'll be fun and profitable.", to both Rogers and Shaw building up such huge a huge negative public opinion in their respective territories that they swapped so they could start fresh with new customers.

The latter might have had a definite impact, as I remember Shaw coming in here and their marketing basically amounted to "Rogers sucks, Shaw is coming to make things better!". I moved to Toronto right in the middle of their territory swap, and over there Rogers marketing was "Shaw suck, Rogers is coming to make things better!". And the extremely negative public opinion was there too, as I remember right before Shaw took over, people were seriously incensed with Rogers at the time. lovely service, lovely selection, high prices, negative-billing; a lot of people were legitimately thinking of just cutting out TV and internet altogether at the time because Rogers was terrible and the only game in town.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 11, 2011

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Yeah, I remember the days when Cogeco wasn't a complete piece-of-poo poo ISP as well. I got cable internet back in the summer of 1996 and NEVER had a home dial-up connection. Those were the days :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Eej posted:

Where did these new Shaw broadband connections come from? I'd love to stick to Novus but it's hard to convince myself to when I can get 50mbit with 400gb cap at the same price as 20mbit with 125gb cap.

Oh wait, if I compare bundling TV+Phone+Internet together on Novus vs Shaw, Novus comes out the winner by a huge margin. I guess that's the catch.

Not sure what you're talking about, the Novus standalone package you mention is $37, and the Shaw one you mention is $75, double the price for 2.5x downspeed, 1/10 upspeed, and double ish down data.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqZoAnn4vDqJdGQtWTBKRmh3VVRubFBpTHdvaVRYX2c&hl=en_US&authkey=CKDvt6oB#gid=0