Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

FlyingCheese posted:

Hasn't the port credit bonus been extended before? Or am I thinking of some other deal?

It ran from February to March and stopped, then came back in late April. Just like sprint instant rebates keep getting extended, it possibly could. Just no guarantee, and personally I doubt it. We shall know before the 24th for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mtr
May 15, 2008
When will reviews for the Evo 3D start rolling in? Holding off on preordering until I can read up a bit more on it.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)

hotsauce posted:

So if I want to break contract from ATT and get an EVO 3D, the best way would be to get a phone currently on Sprint by the 23rd to qualify for the $125 credit, then swap to the EVO 3d (assuming it's in stock) and eat the $35 fee? So, I will then have $90 to apply to my ATT rape fee for canceling, right? Is ther a better way to maneuver this?

I think you could also get a cheap phone of craigslist and open a line with it that will be eligible for an upgrade right away.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

mtr posted:

When will reviews for the Evo 3D start rolling in? Holding off on preordering until I can read up a bit more on it.

Anatech had some benchmarks of it last week, but it wasn't a very indepth review.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

big mean giraffe posted:

Yeah, not only is it Samsung so automatically a 'don't go near it,' but the Evo 3D has 3D, and it's guaranteed to have a great third-party support, being HTC.
This is my reasoning. I am excited to take 3D movies and pictures on my next vacation.

Also, the EVO 3D will be in the Telesales system on June 19th. For those who were worried about the port-in credit ending on the 23rd, you should be able to take care of it a few days early.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

averox posted:

Live for my Evo, die for my Evo, hop up in dat whip and ride wit my Evo :frogc00l:

Now I'm primed for some tree dees. DGAF about a samsung whatever garbage 2.

Fah sho!

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
It's getting a lot of discussion here, so for the sake of reminding people of the oddly strict requirements, you need to go to the switch-to-sprint website and register for your credit within 72 hours of activating your new phone.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

SLOSifl posted:

This is my reasoning. I am excited to take 3D movies and pictures on my next vacation.

One of the main reasons (other than Sense 3 being really, really nice) I plan on sticking to a stock rooted ROM on the Evo 3D. Delicious 3D goodness. Even if it's kind of gimmicky it's still cool as hell to show off.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm looking forward to seeing one in person. I'm quite curious about 3d and 3d video!

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

big mean giraffe posted:

One of the main reasons (other than Sense 3 being really, really nice) I plan on sticking to a stock rooted ROM on the Evo 3D. Delicious 3D goodness. Even if it's kind of gimmicky it's still cool as hell to show off.

I'm kind of torn on this, but specifically with Rosie. I want to use it for all the eye candy, but Launcher Pro just does so much more. My biggest gripe at this point is how a 4.3 inch 960x540 screen is still a 4x4 grid. There's so much wasted space between that, and only having phone, app drawer, and personalize buttons along the bottom.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Yeah, but you can just throw LP or ADW EX on the stock ROM.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Lets organize a Facebook campaign asking them to make Rosie into something other than garbage. It worked last time!

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

SLOSifl posted:

Yeah, but you can just throw LP or ADW EX on the stock ROM.

Yeah but then you miss out on the eye candy from Rosie from Sense 3 and the fancy new Sense widgets.

I'm probably going to stick with Rosie and throw a few folder organizer folders onto the desktop to access most of my poo poo I use a lot.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

WoG posted:

It's getting a lot of discussion here, so for the sake of reminding people of the oddly strict requirements, you need to go to the switch-to-sprint website and register for your credit within 72 hours of activating your new phone.

Yeah, but telesales told me I could have a delayed port on the 19th, when my ATT contract ends, and just register for the credit then. I could just use a temporary number until then. Hope that's accurate.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

big mean giraffe posted:

Yeah but then you miss out on the eye candy from Rosie from Sense 3 and the fancy new Sense widgets.

I'm probably going to stick with Rosie and throw a few folder organizer folders onto the desktop to access most of my poo poo I use a lot.

Exactly. LP on the EVO 4G is better than Rosie in every way. However on a Sense 3.0 device you have to sacrifice form or function, you can't have both. But at least we have a choice and we're not stuck with whatever they decide is best.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
I'm sure this has been discussed a bunch but I'm a retarded baby.

I'm on original SERO right now. I know I need to call that employee care number and upgrade to SERO Premium to get the Evo 3D. My main concern is, how can I get an Evo 3D on release date? I have the 2 year upgrade discount available so I don't want to walk into just any store and pay full price for it.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

sonicice posted:

I'm sure this has been discussed a bunch but I'm a retarded baby.

I'm on original SERO right now. I know I need to call that employee care number and upgrade to SERO Premium to get the Evo 3D. My main concern is, how can I get an Evo 3D on release date? I have the 2 year upgrade discount available so I don't want to walk into just any store and pay full price for it.

I went through telesales. Honestly though, all you need to do it make sure the SERO support people switch your plan to the $50 SERO Premium plan, then your account is all ready for an EVO 3D to be added on.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

datajosh posted:

The just announced Photon 4G might outperform it just because of the Tegra 2 chipset but I don't think anyone knows for sure yet. But then there's the forthcoming Samsung Galaxy S II that will probably outperform both of those. And after that, the unannounced Nexus 3 (that Sprint will hopefully get at launch this time) will probably blow all of them out of the water.

There's always something better around the corner no matter when you decide to buy :)

I'm in dire need of a new phone since the pre I've had since I worked for Sprint is starting to really not work properly, but I'm thinking of just grabbing a used EVO off craigslist to get me through until all of these are out and I can make a good comparison.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)

Motorola posted:

As previously communicated, it is our intention to include the unlockable/relockable bootloader in software releases starting in late 2011, where operator and channel partners will allow it. However, this feature is not included in the software found on PHOTON 4G.

http://androidandme.com/2011/06/news/bad-moto-motorola-photon-4g-has-a-locked-bootloader/

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cozmosis posted:

Yeah, but telesales told me I could have a delayed port on the 19th, when my ATT contract ends, and just register for the credit then. I could just use a temporary number until then. Hope that's accurate.

You should be fine, and especially if they told you and notated it on the account, no worries.

For everyone switching, the port link is:

https://www.sprint.com/switchtosprint

If you work in public sector, the link to get the extra $50 is:

sprint.com/50promo

It is a seperate promo, you MUST register both if you qualify.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
I'm gonna use my girlfriends upgrade to get me an evo 3d, I assume theres no trouble with this? gonna turn her samsung moment (tehe) into radioshack for the 75 dollar rebate. Will I be able to activate the evo 3d on my line then give her my evo 4g to activate on hers?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is the 3d just going to be for certain apps/movies/pics/whatever, or will we get cool system stuff like 3d icons?

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

change my name posted:

Is the 3d just going to be for certain apps/movies/pics/whatever, or will we get cool system stuff like 3d icons?

I feel like a 3D gui will be developed at some point, but for now it's just pictures, videos, and apps.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Zosologist posted:

I'm gonna use my girlfriends upgrade to get me an evo 3d, I assume theres no trouble with this? gonna turn her samsung moment (tehe) into radioshack for the 75 dollar rebate. Will I be able to activate the evo 3d on my line then give her my evo 4g to activate on hers?

Be careful. If her account doesn't currently have the $10 smartphone fee, using her upgrade will probably trigger it.

Edit: oh if you're giving her an EVO, then it doesn't matter anyway.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Alman posted:

I feel like a 3D gui will be developed at some point, but for now it's just pictures, videos, and apps.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the glasses-free 3D tech can only be viewed in one orientation (in the EVO 3D's case, landscape). Not that this totally precludes a 3D UI, just that it would only appear 3D if you were viewing it in landscape. Again this is just a slightly educated guess, so I might be completely wrong.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

If I buy a new phone on a family plan is there just one $10 smartphone fee, or is there a fee for each line? Am I going to throw $50 on my bill each month by upgrading one phone?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I don't think many people are buying the Evo 3d for the 3d capability. Most people are just buying it because it's an HTC with a dual-core processor and boat loads of memory. The 3d portion of it is just an added bonus.

I'm not really concerned with the limited functionality of the 3d.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

spidoman posted:

If I buy a new phone on a family plan is there just one $10 smartphone fee, or is there a fee for each line? Am I going to throw $50 on my bill each month by upgrading one phone?

Its per line. If only you upgrade to a new smartphone on a 5-line plan, the increase would be $10. If all 5 people activate a new smartphone, the increase will be $50 total, $10 per line.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

June 23rd: Man I can't wait to get my 3d tomorrow

June 24th: When the gently caress are we getting Avatar/any popular movies and/or games

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

change my name posted:

June 23rd: Man I can't wait to get my 3d tomorrow

June 24th: When the gently caress are we getting Avatar/any popular movies and/or games

Excuse me sir, are you forgetting that the Evo 3d comes pre-loaded with the blockbuster hit starring Seth Rogan, The Green Hornet?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

ShowTime posted:

Excuse me sir, are you forgetting that the Evo 3d comes pre-loaded with the blockbuster hit starring Seth Rogan, The Green Hornet?

WOOOO!!! :toot:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Seriously I hope 3d movies take up an obscene amount of space just as a giant gently caress YOU to anyone considering spending like 10-15 bucks on one

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

change my name posted:

Seriously I hope 3d movies take up an obscene amount of space just as a giant gently caress YOU to anyone considering spending like 10-15 bucks on one

Considering they're high def versions with a framerate of 120hz they're going to be at least several GB. Especially if they're 1080p instead of 720 (likely 720 though)

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Is it even possible to tell the difference on a phone?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

diospadre posted:

Is it even possible to tell the difference on a phone?

The Evo3d has an HDMI output.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I was so ready to jump on the EVO 3D bandwagon, then I watched the engadget review on the Samsung Galaxy S II. It's lightning fast, has a nicer screen than the iPhone4, and the tilt to zoom function looks loving awesome! I also love the way the menu and back touch buttons fade away after using them. BUT, its expose view looks almost choppy, and your default home screen is the very left tile instead of the middle one like Sense does. I wonder if you can change that...

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Nuts and Gum posted:

I was so ready to jump on the EVO 3D bandwagon, then I watched the engadget review on the Samsung Galaxy S II. It's lightning fast, has a nicer screen than the iPhone4, and the tilt to zoom function looks loving awesome! I also love the way the menu and back touch buttons fade away after using them. BUT, its expose view looks almost choppy, and your default home screen is the very left tile instead of the middle one like Sense does. I wonder if you can change that...

It is a Samsung, which is what does it for me. I refuse to purchase Samsung phones after the last 3 I purchased have amounted to expensive piles of poo poo. I stick to HTC now.

DragonKeeper
Aug 4, 2004
MOLE GAVE ME THIS ACCOUNT OK GUYS

FlyingCheese posted:

Considering they're high def versions with a framerate of 120hz they're going to be at least several GB. Especially if they're 1080p instead of 720 (likely 720 though)

While I can't speak for the private sector, in the industry, 3D is 48fps (24 for each eye) -- Gold Standard * 2. And as for the file size issues, we use a reduced color space (I don't recall the bit depth offhand) so as not to have a file that's twice as big as it would be otherwise. If they are releasing the movie specifically for device X I would have to imagine that it would be encoded for its native resolution. Wasn't that how Avatar was with the EVO?

Edit:

FlyingCheese posted:

The Evo3d has an HDMI output.
The EVO does as well, but due to DRM issues(that's what it was, wasn't it?) outputting the movie over HDMI was disabled.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

ShowTime posted:

It is a Samsung, which is what does it for me. I refuse to purchase Samsung phones after the last 3 I purchased have amounted to expensive piles of poo poo. I stick to HTC now.

Care to elaborate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Nuts and Gum posted:

Care to elaborate?

Other people can speak on it better then I, but the popular opinion is that Samsung makes terrible phones. For every good or decent Samsung phone there will be three terrible ones.