Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Nuts and Gum posted:

Care to elaborate?

Ctrl + f "samsung" on every page of this thread, every mention of their phones is about how lovely they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

The Galaxy S series (with the exception of the Nexus S) suffered from some horrible software development practices that are only just now being fixed. Possibly. We'll find out when they push Gingerbread to the handsets. Also, touchwiz currently is a great interface with a lovely launcher, but it used to be a horrible interface with an even worse launcher.

And that loving battery popup.

That said, I still think the Epic is vastly superior to the Evo Shift, and I'm kinda hoping that the Galaxy S II series phones fix their remaining issues, because I love AMOLED screens and the fact that Samsung refuses to lock their phones in any way.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

thelightguy posted:

The Galaxy S series (with the exception of the Nexus S) suffered from some horrible software development practices that are only just now being fixed. Possibly. We'll find out when they push Gingerbread to the handsets. Also, touchwiz currently is a great interface with a lovely launcher, but it used to be a horrible interface with an even worse launcher.

And that loving battery popup.

That said, I still think the Epic is vastly superior to the Evo Shift, and I'm kinda hoping that the Galaxy S II series phones fix their remaining issues, because I love AMOLED screens and the fact that Samsung refuses to lock their phones in any way.

The HTC Arrive is a spectacular phone and has the single best pull-out keyboard i've ever used/known. I wish that phone wasn't Windows 7, but even then, Windows 7 isn't a bad OS. It's just not Android and I love Android. But the hardware on the phone is great and if HTC uses that keyboard on other phones, they'll be in the best shape in that area.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nuts and Gum posted:

Care to elaborate?

Just have a look at my post history in android threads.

Hell, there was an android thread titled "Samsung killed my dog."

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
I was a victim of the Samsung Moment and I'm still tempted by the Galaxy S II :(

I really like the Photon's form factor and specs but that locked bootloader kills it for me. It'd be nice if they changed it post-release like HTC is doing.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
To whomever said the galaxy s2 has a better screen than the iphone 4, I'd like to point out that it's only got an 800x480 4.3" display, not exactly impressive. qHD or bust.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
After churning about as to wether to move to Sprint from AT&T, I think I've made a decision. I will get the Nexus S 4g from a corporate Sprint store tomorrow and use it for a few weeks.

If it passes the sniff test, I'll keep it. If it fails, I'll cancel Sprint and return to my Atrix on AT&T. Couple of questions:...

I am interested in the EVO 3D. Obviously, I can return (at a $35 fee) the Nexus and switch to the EVO 3d if needed, and that is all good and well. I am also interested in the "port in" promo currently offered by Sprint. Makes sense to save on evil OMG ETF fees charged by, well, your's truly, AT&T. This $125 port in credit obviously helps the pain...

I was browsing the "intherwebZ" and see that the Nexus 4G is, well, a bit cheaper at Amazon wireless (@ $149) vs. other outlets (i.e. Sprint.com @ $199).

Here are my questions:

1. If I approach the Spint store with the Amazon price match request, will they honor it? If so, is there a better deal that a B&M store will match?

2. I need the port-in credit to minimize the ETF from AT&T. Can I get a generic Sprint number now and port my longstanding number via Sprint and Google Voice later and still get the port credit (or do I need to sever the AT&T number instantly triggering an ETF in order to participate in Google's GV to Sprint deal?)

3. Lastly, let's assume I get all on board with Sprint. All is good, but I don't like the Nexus S. Do you all recommend I return it at $35 and grab an HTC EVO 3D? (while I know this question is theoretical, I wanted to ask anyway...).

Thanks!

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Zosologist posted:

I'm gonna use my girlfriends upgrade to get me an evo 3d, I assume theres no trouble with this? gonna turn her samsung moment (tehe) into radioshack for the $75 credit
Is this a trade-in/recylcing credit unique to the Moment, or is this a promotion they're running where any Sprint phone gets the $75? When my partner got her Evo for Christmas, RadioShack took a 5 year old At&t GoPhone for a $99 credit.

EDIT2: Trade-in offer good 6/24 - 7/31/2011. $75 offer valid on *select smartphones* only.

http://50promo.sprint.com/
Hey Duckman, is that public services $50 promo the same program that gets the 23% corporate discout? It says its available for existing customer new add-a-lines as well, just without the $125 new smartphone credit.

Do you have to buy through the website or corporate to get this, or will it work with the $180 Evo3D Amazon deal? Since the 3D is unlikely to arrive before 5/23/11, could I add a line NOW and activate an extra Pixi I already own as a placeholder to make sure I get the $50 credit? Added lines automatically get a 2year contract; this is what they're really after, right?

EDIT: "This offer is only available online, via telesales, and in participating Sprint Stores."

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 11, 2011

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
*Select smartphones* eligible for $75 credit towards Evo. All worth significantly more sold on the used market. Sorry to break your heart Zosologist, the Moment ain't on there, and neither is my Pixi.

hotsauce posted:

Here are my questions:
2. I need the port-in credit to minimize the ETF from AT&T. Can I get a generic Sprint number now and port my longstanding number via Sprint and Google Voice later and still get the port credit (or do I need to sever the AT&T number instantly triggering an ETF in order to participate in Google's GV to Sprint deal?)

3. Lastly, let's assume I get all on board with Sprint. All is good, but I don't like the Nexus S. Do you all recommend I return it at $35 and grab an HTC EVO 3D? (while I know this question is theoretical, I wanted to ask anyway...)
If HTC follows through on their unlocked/unlockable bootloader promise, the 3D will most definitely have a large enough developer community to outweigh any benefit of having a Google Nexus device. Only thing missing is NFC and qHD SuperLCD vs. SAMOLED.

You're overthinking the Sprint GVoice integration. The # stays with Sprint and is only shared with GV. Don't worry about this until after you've ported your # from ATT, automatically cancelling your ATT account. Do nothing--don't tell ATT you're cancelling--just sit back and wait for the ETF bill to show up. I'd wait to port until the end of your ATT bill cycle but before 5/23. I've read in the other cell carrier threads about people not getting a prorated credit from the unused remainder of the cycle.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Pay the $100 deductible, then sell your clean pristine refurbished replacement for $250-300. Or eBay a screen and fix it for <$100 if you're handy.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jun 11, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Goddamnit. Evo took a dive off of the nightstand and landed screen first. Shattered but still working, typing this on it even.

Got insurance and an upgrade that comes up 7/1. I was going to sit on it since I love my Evo but with this thrown in...how can I best turn a shattered screen but otherwise fine 4G into a launch day 3D for as little cash as possible?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

big mean giraffe posted:

To whomever said the galaxy s2 has a better screen than the iphone 4, I'd like to point out that it's only got an 800x480 4.3" display, not exactly impressive. qHD or bust.

Just to play devil's advocate, the reviews of the SGSII I've read say that despite the low resolution the Super AMOLED Plus screen is one of the best there is. I haven't seen one in person so I can't comment from experience, but I wouldn't write off the screen just yet. That said, I'll be buying an EVO 3D on launch day.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The amoled on my n1 is definitely amazing, but slcd is pretty drat good too, especially with that delicious 3d qHD display. Nothing does blacks like (s)amoled though.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Goddamnit. Evo took a dive off of the nightstand and landed screen first. Shattered but still working, typing this on it even.

Got insurance and an upgrade that comes up 7/1. I was going to sit on it since I love my Evo but with this thrown in...how can I best turn a shattered screen but otherwise fine 4G into a launch day 3D for as little cash as possible?

You're going to have to pay the $100 deductible most likely. You can still put the Evo 4G on craigslist for $250-$300, and your refurb should be in like-new condition. They might be able to replace the screen in-store (which really just means a refurb in-store), which is free if you have TEP.

Tips for selling on craigslist:
Go to monoprice.com and get a cheap car charger and the $5 micro HDMI cable. Total will be around $10 shipped I think.

List it with "extras" and a "clean ESN" for $275. You almost paid for your 3D, even after deductible. If you can root it, unlock the thing and sell it "unlocked." That opens it up to Cricket customers too. I've seen them pre-flashed to Cricket selling for $350-$400, so this is definitely worth a shot if you know how (it's not hard if you are comfortable rooting/flashing stuff). Including that HDMI cable and a car charger always help, people think those are expensive since they're ~$30 each in a Sprint store.

EDIT: If you add the charger and HDMI, you should be able to get $300 for it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

After churning about as to wether to move to Sprint from AT&T, I think I've made a decision. I will get the Nexus S 4g from a corporate Sprint store tomorrow and use it for a few weeks.

If it passes the sniff test, I'll keep it. If it fails, I'll cancel Sprint and return to my Atrix on AT&T. Couple of questions:...

I am interested in the EVO 3D. Obviously, I can return (at a $35 fee) the Nexus and switch to the EVO 3d if needed, and that is all good and well. I am also interested in the "port in" promo currently offered by Sprint. Makes sense to save on evil OMG ETF fees charged by, well, your's truly, AT&T. This $125 port in credit obviously helps the pain...

I was browsing the "intherwebZ" and see that the Nexus 4G is, well, a bit cheaper at Amazon wireless (@ $149) vs. other outlets (i.e. Sprint.com @ $199).

Here are my questions:

1. If I approach the Spint store with the Amazon price match request, will they honor it? If so, is there a better deal that a B&M store will match?

3. Lastly, let's assume I get all on board with Sprint. All is good, but I don't like the Nexus S. Do you all recommend I return it at $35 and grab an HTC EVO 3D? (while I know this question is theoretical, I wanted to ask anyway...).

Thanks!

1. Sprint Corporate stores last I checked have no price matching power whatsoever. Honestly, a Sprint Corporate store is a place where you do get reliability (aka the reps shouldn't be idiots), but it is definitely not the lowest pricing. 3rd Party Sprint stores can match it to a point, an aggressive sales guy might be willing to knock up to $30 off and a free case. Best Buy will not match Amazon or any online pricing, but usually their prices are low. Amazon tends to be the lowest, that's a matter of whether you want to do everything online or not.

2. Someone else had this question and said Sprint will let you port it and get credit as long as it is before the 24th, and you do it within 72 hours of porting of course. I would call Sprint customer care on that one once your account is setup, as long as it is notated on your account you are always fine.

3. Great news on a slight mistake of mine: the $35 restock fee is for upgrade/current Sprint users only. Sprint has a 30 days complete guarantee with new customers, so NO ONE can charge the $35 restock fee for new activations. So for anyone switching to Sprint and looking to exchange out for the 3D, your only risk is getting your hands on one.

Rumors are that stock on the 3D will be extremely good, they are actually making the 3D available to employees from day one, which is a very good sign.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Duckman2008 posted:

1. Sprint Corporate stores last I checked have no price matching power whatsoever. Honestly, a Sprint Corporate store is a place where you do get reliability (aka the reps shouldn't be idiots), but it is definitely not the lowest pricing. 3rd Party Sprint stores can match it to a point, an aggressive sales guy might be willing to knock up to $30 off and a free case. Best Buy will not match Amazon or any online pricing, but usually their prices are low. Amazon tends to be the lowest, that's a matter of whether you want to do everything online or not.

2. Someone else had this question and said Sprint will let you port it and get credit as long as it is before the 24th, and you do it within 72 hours of porting of course. I would call Sprint customer care on that one once your account is setup, as long as it is notated on your account you are always fine.

3. Great news on a slight mistake of mine: the $35 restock fee is for upgrade/current Sprint users only. Sprint has a 30 days complete guarantee with new customers, so NO ONE can charge the $35 restock fee for new activations. So for anyone switching to Sprint and looking to exchange out for the 3D, your only risk is getting your hands on one.

Rumors are that stock on the 3D will be extremely good, they are actually making the 3D available to employees from day one, which is a very good sign.

Hey, check your PMs

mtr
May 15, 2008
I want to swap my Sprint account back to my old Treo Pro (bleh) for a couple weeks before the 3D comes out. When I do this online, Sprint says that my account requires a plan change. I currently have the ED450 plan for $69 + the $10 smartphone fee, which I'm assuming applies to the Treo Pro now as well. Is the Treo Pro old enough to not be considered for the $10 fee?

So why require the plan change? I would just click on ED450 again, but I have a corporate discount as well as a monthly reoccurring credit that I don't want to lose.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

mtr posted:

I want to swap my Sprint account back to my old Treo Pro (bleh) for a couple weeks before the 3D comes out. When I do this online, Sprint says that my account requires a plan change. I currently have the ED450 plan for $69 + the $10 smartphone fee, which I'm assuming applies to the Treo Pro now as well. Is the Treo Pro old enough to not be considered for the $10 fee?

So why require the plan change? I would just click on ED450 again, but I have a corporate discount as well as a monthly reoccurring credit that I don't want to lose.

Because they require all Smart Phones to have the 10 dollar fee now. It tells you that when you originally switch online too. It says you cannot go back to the old plan.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
It might meant the plan change would be in your benefit, i.e. the 10 dollars is dropped. Other than that I wouldn't know.

/\/\/\All of them huh, including treo pro's, interesting

mtr
May 15, 2008

TLG James posted:

Because they require all Smart Phones to have the 10 dollar fee now. It tells you that when you originally switch online too. It says you cannot go back to the old plan.

Yes but I already have that fee for my Evo. I was expecting absolutely nothing to change on my plan going from the Evo to the Treo Pro. The only difference I can see is that if I do this I think I get the 300 extra minutes added on.

Edit: Just did a web chat and the lady swapped phones without messing with the plan.

Edit2: And it appears that the $10 fee has disappeared from my account. I guess that was what required the plan change.

mtr fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 11, 2011

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Duckman2008 posted:

they are actually making the 3D available to employees from day one, which is a very good sign.
This isn't confirmed - they're just expecting it to be available to employees. If everyone and their mother buys an EVO 3D, though, they'll probably restrict employee availability anyway.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

900ftjesus posted:

awesome craigslist selling tips
Dammit, why'd you have to go and post that? I was perfectly happy hanging onto my EVO and not worrying about trying to get my Premier upgrade pushed up (despite everybody saying it's easy now), but now you tell me that I can get an EVO 3D, sell my EVO 4G, and actually make a profit? gently caress!

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
So who's got predictions on how far that market value will tank when the 3d drops and every third evo's being flipped simultaneously?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

WoG posted:

So who's got predictions on how far that market value will tank when the 3d drops and every third evo's being flipped simultaneously?
The same thing happened when the EVO 4G came out and everyone dropped their Palm Pres. Craigslist was great for a while, then useless. All that means is that a lot of people are going to get EVOs from friends and family soon.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

WoG posted:

I activated an Evo and sold a Moment for $200 afterwards.

There are people less informed than you are and there are people with a Moment/Hero/Transform that have 6 months or more left on a contract.

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

brc64 posted:

Dammit, why'd you have to go and post that? I was perfectly happy hanging onto my EVO and not worrying about trying to get my Premier upgrade pushed up (despite everybody saying it's easy now), but now you tell me that I can get an EVO 3D, sell my EVO 4G, and actually make a profit? gently caress!

Don't you love it when we do that? ;)

Also, people are still gonna buy the EVO 4G because they "don't want 3D." Not everyone is going to realize there's a toggle for it despite it being pretty well documented.

Shed fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 12, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Shed posted:

Also, people are still gonna buy the EVO 4G because they "don't want 3D." Not everyone is going to realize there's a toggle for it despite it being pretty well documented.

I don't know about you, but I'd be buying the phone for Green Hornet 3D. That dual core poo poo is just a bonus. :colbert:

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Shed posted:

The toggle is for the camera.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
The toggle is for the camera.

This honestly really upsets me. I really want to be able to turn the 3D off.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Decided to just do the insurance claim online rather than waiting 1+ hours in store just to get told to call them. Based on the local CL I don't know about $300 but I can definitely beat the $100-$150 I'd be getting in trade-in.

Just making sure, Radio Shack / Amazon / etc still can't be used for EPRP preorders, correct? As it is I'd need to get Sprint to bump my upgrade date up a few weeks.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

But 3D is only for video and pictures isn't it? So just do your pictures and video in 2D and no problems?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
What are the chances a custom ROM will be able to utilize the 3d features and be able to toggle them on/off?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

I thought it was mentioned before that turning 3d on/off is a software toggle.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

ShowTime posted:

What are the chances a custom ROM will be able to utilize the 3d features and be able to toggle them on/off?
Probably depends on how much of it is open source. (My guess is that the 3D portion will be closed source though.)

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

plester1 posted:

I thought it was mentioned before that turning 3d on/off is a software toggle.

Yeah I could have sworn you could toggle the actual 3D off. That's a deal breaker for me if you can't.

Carnage
Sep 27, 2002
i was under the impression 3d was for taking 3d video/pictures and viewing them. everything else was normal? kinda like a 3d tv or monitor...if what you're looking at is 3d, then it supports it, if not then you just have a really good looking tv/monitor.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

ShowTime posted:

Quite good for the utilization part. Dunno about turning it off, though.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

So the Network Vision plan is to have a standard CDMA signal running on both 800MHz and the current 1900MHz, for excellent range, building penetration, and network capacity. But all of our current phones only look for a signal on 1900MHz. I did a bit of googling and, from what I gathered, it looks like we're all going to have to get new phones with multi-mode/whatever radios that are smart and advanced enough to listen on both frequencies.

What are the odds that we'll be able to flash our current-generation android phone radios to behave the same way?

What are the odds that I'll be able to at least flash my old Touch Pro2 (lol) to work on 800MHz?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

td4guy posted:

So the Network Vision plan is to have a standard CDMA signal running on both 800MHz and the current 1900MHz, for excellent range, building penetration, and network capacity. But all of our current phones only look for a signal on 1900MHz. I did a bit of googling and, from what I gathered, it looks like we're all going to have to get new phones with multi-mode/whatever radios that are smart and advanced enough to listen on both frequencies.

What are the odds that we'll be able to flash our current-generation android phone radios to behave the same way?

What are the odds that I'll be able to at least flash my old Touch Pro2 (lol) to work on 800MHz?

I really doubt it would just be a simple reflash. Radio antennas are designed to work best in certain bands of frequencies (ask any ham radio operator, that's why they often have so many of them).

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

td4guy posted:

This doesn't make sense to me. Sprint phones can operate on 800mhz just fine which is how they can roam on Verizon. I would assume a simple software update would allow any dual band Sprint phone to make use of both 800 and 1900mhz bands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

letsgoflyers81 posted:

This doesn't make sense to me. Sprint phones can operate on 800mhz just fine which is how they can roam on Verizon. I would assume a simple software update would allow any dual band Sprint phone to make use of both 800 and 1900mhz bands.

Nextel is 850ish frequency, not 800. Otherwise I have no idea beyond I really doubt sprint will just make everyones phone instantly onsolete. It will likely be very gradual.