Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

Quite good for the utilization part. Dunno about turning it off, though.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/117/1174559p1.html

"Display auto-enables for supported apps but can also be forced off in software."

I found this funny: "Without 3D mode enabled, the Evo 3D display is identical to the Evo 4G in terms of picture quality"

Oh IGN, it's like you don't even try. qHD and the SLCD are really just marketing terms, I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
http://youtu.be/q1IhrSjMy0Q?t=9m24s

Pretty sure turning 3D off turns it off completely.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

td4guy posted:

So the Network Vision plan is to have a standard CDMA signal running on both 800MHz and the current 1900MHz, for excellent range, building penetration, and network capacity. But all of our current phones only look for a signal on 1900MHz. I did a bit of googling and, from what I gathered, it looks like we're all going to have to get new phones with multi-mode/whatever radios that are smart and advanced enough to listen on both frequencies.

What are the odds that we'll be able to flash our current-generation android phone radios to behave the same way?

What are the odds that I'll be able to at least flash my old Touch Pro2 (lol) to work on 800MHz?

Reflashing is not very likely. Firstly because they usually won't add features to older phones like that. Secondly, because the phone's radio would have to support it's hardware.

From what I have seen, I think the EVO 3D is going to be (one of) the first phone to support the SMR band on Sprint. SMR is the old IDEN Nextel freqency repurposed to CDMA.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Does anyone know if the Evo 3D is going to support facebook syncing?

That was one of the most annoying features that the Nexus S had disabled because of their ongoing spat with Facebook.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

TLG James posted:

Does anyone know if the Evo 3D is going to support facebook syncing?

That was one of the most annoying features that the Nexus S had disabled because of their ongoing spat with Facebook.

Nexus S is AFAIK the only phone that doesn't support it anymore. Still works great on the Nexus One at least. HTC also uses their own FB poo poo which works differently, so if you use their implementation it definitely should.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

td4guy posted:

I did a bit of googling and, from what I gathered, it looks like we're all going to have to get new phones with multi-mode/whatever radios that are smart and advanced enough to listen on both frequencies.

The Evo 3D does this. http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=8261

big mean giraffe posted:

http://youtu.be/q1IhrSjMy0Q?t=9m24s

Pretty sure turning 3D off turns it off completely.

It doesn't...But why would it matter anyways? The only 3D you will ever see is if you open 3D pictures/videos/games. If you don't want to ever see 3D, don't take 3D pictures/videos or buy 3D movies or games.

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 12, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
Anyone seen a review confirm or deny a notification LED?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

900ftjesus posted:

Anyone seen a review confirm or deny a notification LED?

I haven't seen anything in any reviews, but I'm pretty sure it's clearly visible in several pictures. Could be wrong, but HTC doesn't usually skip on them do they?

*edit* Forgot to add, someone at XDA dumped an engineering sample of the Evo 3D.

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 12, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

I haven't seen anything in any reviews, but I'm pretty sure it's clearly visible in several pictures. Could be wrong, but HTC doesn't usually skip on them do they?

*edit* Forgot to add, someone at XDA dumped an engineering sample of the Evo 3D.

HTC is pretty consistent with them, or has been so far. There's the front camera on the right of the speaker, and either a light sensor or an LED directly on the left of the speaker.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

900ftjesus posted:

HTC is pretty consistent with them, or has been so far. There's the front camera on the right of the speaker, and either a light sensor or an LED directly on the left of the speaker.

That's gotta be an LED. The light sensor is probably hidden between the words Sprint and HTC. All the rest of their phones (I believe) have 'hidden' the sensor in that area.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I can't wait for the comparison shots between an Evo 3D and the Evo. Since the 3D has a wider aspect ratio it is taller and skinnier since it keeps the diagonal measurement at 4.3. I wonder if that will make portrait typing tougher. Also, now that I know the 3D can do both the 800 and 1900 bands it may be just the thing I need to get out of the hyper congested slow data hell as the new network initiative begins roll out.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Probably a stupid question but I haven't really been following cell-phones lately and I just browsed this thread. I've got an old sprint blackberry now that is due for an upgrade. It sounds like it's a no-brainer to get the Evo 3D when it comes out? Is there any reason to not get it over any of the other phones available (I don't really care about blackberry)?

Waiting until it comes out really isn't an issue either since I'm in London until June 21.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Does anyone else still find it funny that there's a Sprint branded Nascar app pre-installed on every phone?

Adun posted:

Is there any reason to not get it over any of the other phones available (I don't really care about blackberry)?

The only real reasons are the large physical size (if that's a thing for you) and any bugs/general shittiness that may show up once people get their hands on them.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

diospadre posted:

Does anyone else still find it funny that there's a Sprint branded Nascar app pre-installed on every phone?

Its funny in the sense that I don't give two shits about NASCAR, but Sprint is a pretty major sponsor so it makes sense.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

sirbeefalot posted:

Its funny in the sense that I don't give two shits about NASCAR, but Sprint is a pretty major sponsor so it makes sense.

They have their own cup series even. Not that I know if that means anything but I assume it's a big deal?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

diospadre posted:

The only real reasons are the large physical size (if that's a thing for you) and any bugs/general shittiness that may show up once people get their hands on them.

How does the size compare to the iPhone? It's the only touchscreen phone I've had any experience with but it seems to be about just the right size. Are there any good phones on Sprint that are more that size?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

The Nexus S is closer to an iPhone though still bigger, Evos are enormous.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Adun posted:

How does the size compare to the iPhone? It's the only touchscreen phone I've had any experience with but it seems to be about just the right size. Are there any good phones on Sprint that are more that size?

The Nexus S would probably be a good fit. It has some issues with bugs, though.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
My upgrade is due july 1st, but I'm pretty sick of my current device.

I hit up online sales asking if they are able to bump up my date to the 24th and this is what I was told:

REP: Unfortunately,it won't be possible to change the upgrade eligibility date because the phone's upgrade eligibility depends on the active age of the device. It is systematically defined and unfortunately is not possible to reset it manually from our end.

hope you understand our system limitation in this regard.Had it been possible for us, I would have already gone ahead and offered it to you.. However you can pre-order for this phone at your nearest Sprint store with $50.00 gift cared and can get this phone, once, the line becomes eligible for upgrade.

I feel like I've seen other instances of people convincing them to bump the date slightly..am I just SOL?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

diospadre posted:

The Nexus S is closer to an iPhone though still bigger, Evos are enormous.

Any chance man purses have become popular since May?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

zer0spunk posted:

I called the retentions line in the OP about a month ago about bumping up my upgrade to June 1st (22 months for me is on July 1st as well), and the CSR basically told me that they don't like giving away anything to EPRP customers because we're already getting a deal, but that this once she could move the upgrade as I requested. It showed up for me as June 1st after that, until a week or two ago when it reverted to July 1st for whatever reason. I've still got an EVO preordered, and I plan on just bugging the manager at the store about it either when I go to pick it up, or when they call to schedule my appointment to pick up. I figure they'll either be able to override it in-store or just hold the phone for a week for me or something.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Evos aren't really that big. They're certainly larger than other, smaller phones (obviously,) but still fit just fine in a normal sized pair of men's pants. Maybe if you're one of those girl jeans wearing guys or whatever it won't fit, but other than that it's really not an issue.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I sent a PM to that guy on SprintUsers a couple weeks ago to get my date moved up (bought an EVO last June, want to move to the 3D) and haven't heard back from him. There wouldn't happen to be any Sprint-affiliated topic readers here who could do that for me, would there?

The only thing that bugs me so far about the 3D is, well, the 3D aspect of it. Everything else looks great.

E: yeah art got back to me and reset my date. That rules!

Sir Bobert Fishbone fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 13, 2011

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

I sent a PM to that guy on SprintUsers a couple weeks ago to get my date moved up (bought an EVO last June, want to move to the 3D) and haven't heard back from him. There wouldn't happen to be any Sprint-affiliated topic readers here who could do that for me, would there?

The only thing that bugs me so far about the 3D is, well, the 3D aspect of it. Everything else looks great.

Just think of it as a bonus and not a feature. Think of it as something the phone is capable of using but is not required to do so.

Your UI won't be 3d. Pretty much everything you use will not be 3d. But, you have the option of viewing 3d pictures/movies and even recording them yourself.

mtr
May 15, 2008

big mean giraffe posted:

Evos aren't really that big. They're certainly larger than other, smaller phones (obviously,) but still fit just fine in a normal sized pair of men's pants. Maybe if you're one of those girl jeans wearing guys or whatever it won't fit, but other than that it's really not an issue.

Careful saying that. Most people consider Evos huge. If you protect it with a case it gets even larger. Before buying one sight unseen, I would suggest that someone wears their favorite pair of pants to a phone store to see how it fits in a pocket, even if they aren't a "girl jeans wearing guy".

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

It took me at least a couple weeks for my upgrade to get restored through the guy at Sprintusers. He was swamped back then and might be even more so now. Has the guy been posting in the thread recently with updates of users who have had their updates restored? If not, he might be MIA.

And the 3D has a physical button on the phone to switch between 2D and 3D. If you don't want 3D, then you can switch it off before you even turn the phone on.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

mtr posted:

If you protect it with a case it gets even larger

This won't be an issue if Incipio makes their awesome line of feather cases for the Evo 3D. They're <1mm thick and really nice.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Is it possible to stack the EPRP discount with a state employee discount?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

zer0spunk posted:

I hit up online sales asking if they are able to bump up my date to the 24th and this is what I was told:

REP: Unfortunately,it won't be possible to change the upgrade eligibility date because the phone's upgrade eligibility depends on the active age of the device. It is systematically defined and unfortunately is not possible to reset it manually from our end.

hope you understand our system limitation in this regard.Had it been possible for us, I would have already gone ahead and offered it to you.. However you can pre-order for this phone at your nearest Sprint store with $50.00 gift cared and can get this phone, once, the line becomes eligible for upgrade.

I feel like I've seen other instances of people convincing them to bump the date slightly..am I just SOL?
If I remember correctly, stores can still let you use your upgrade as long as you're within 2? weeks of the upgrade date. Duckman can probably say for sure next time he sees the thread.

Super Dude posted:

Is it possible to stack the EPRP discount with a state employee discount?
Officially, no. I believe people have managed to do it but it's rare. In a number of cases, standard pricing with a corporate discount ends up being cheaper than EPRP.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

This won't be an issue if Incipio makes their awesome line of feather cases for the Evo 3D. They're <1mm thick and really nice.

What are the odds of a case that thin and a kickstand though?

Also I really want the gold ring instead of the red ring, I guess I'll need to buy a different battery cover.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Chunk posted:

Virtually none. I wasn't aware people actually used that on their phone. Although I can see the appeal as a psuedo-dock.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Chunk posted:

Also I really want the gold ring instead of the red ring, I guess I'll need to buy a different battery cover.

Official prototype case w/ kickstand:
http://www.goodandevo.net/2011/03/htc-evo-3d-to-get-case-with-kickstand-shortly-after-launch.html

Looks as thin as possible to still have the stand. I really like the kickstand on this better than the Evo 4G, this looks way less prone to tipping over.

As far as the red ring, it's not part of the cover. The Evo 4G has a red camera ring too, it's attached to the lens.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Has anyone recently done total coverage replacement on a touch pro 2 recently? I just accidentally broke the screen on mine and I was curious if they still have replacement TP2's or if they're swapping it for something different now.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

900ftjesus posted:

http://www.goodandevo.net/2011/03/htc-evo-3d-to-get-case-with-kickstand-shortly-after-launch.html

Looks as thin as possible to still have the stand. I really like the kickstand on this better than the Evo 4G, this looks way less prone to tipping over.

As far as the red ring, it's not part of the cover. The Evo 4G has a red camera ring too, it's attached to the lens.

I just realized, that puts the usb port on the table/whatever you put the phone on, doesn't it? Well there goes my ideas for it.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

mtr posted:

Careful saying that. Most people consider Evos huge. If you protect it with a case it gets even larger. Before buying one sight unseen, I would suggest that someone wears their favorite pair of pants to a phone store to see how it fits in a pocket, even if they aren't a "girl jeans wearing guy".

My 5'7?, 130 lbs girlfriend has no more trouble putting my EVO in her pocket than her iPhone 4. We both use Otterbox Commuter Series cases on them.

If you're a guy and you can't fit the EVO in your pocket, then stop wearing women's pants, buy a pair of Levis 501's and try acting like a man for once.

As for the EVO 3D... I'm holding off to see what the dev community around it looks like (after the unlocked bootloader) and waiting to hear if Sprint is getting the Nexus 3. The EVO does everything I want/need it to do... so I don't feel the need to upgrade right away.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

900ftjesus posted:

Are you sure? This makes it look like it's part of the cover http://androinica.com/2011/03/why-doesnt-htc-evo-3d-have-a-kickstand/

big mean giraffe posted:

I just realized, that puts the usb port on the table/whatever you put the phone on, doesn't it? Well there goes my ideas for it.

That's what it looks like, and that seems like a pretty big oversight

24-7 Urkel Cosplay fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 12, 2011

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

big mean giraffe posted:

Virtually none. I wasn't aware people actually used that on their phone. Although I can see the appeal as a psuedo-dock.
I use mine a lot, particularly to watch MLB.TV while at work :v:

big mean giraffe posted:

I think the Thunderbolt kickstand has the same issue, as does the kickstand on the upcoming Photon 4G. I don't understand why they didn't just flip the kickstand, it's not like Android doesn't support rotation in both directions.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

All this kickstand talk is making me wish I had one on my Nexus S... Anyone know of any cases that would give one?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I still don't understand why you'd need a kickstand for your phone. It's not like you are going to leave it parked outside a convenience store while you run inside for a slurpee.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ShowTime posted:

I still don't understand why you'd need a kickstand for your phone. It's not like you are going to leave it parked outside a convenience store while you run inside for a slurpee.

The biggest reason I was thinking about getting a kickstand case until I saw what side the port was on was so I could use it as a desk clock and to occasionally watch videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

The biggest reason I was thinking about getting a kickstand case until I saw what side the port was on was so I could use it as a desk clock and to occasionally watch videos.

I really wish they'd left the port on the bottom, or even the top near the headphone jack. But it really does seem like poor planning for that case.

Chunk posted:

Are you sure? This makes it look like it's part of the cover http://androinica.com/2011/03/why-doesnt-htc-evo-3d-have-a-kickstand/

You're right. I just watched the video linked toward the top of the page, he pulls the cover and the red is no longer part of the phone.