Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

Wikipedia posted:

In an interview with the Radio Times regarding the current state of the BBC, Stephen Fry revealed one of the regular panelists insists on seeing the questions before they appear in the show. He said in the interview:

"There's only one regular guest who always insists on seeing the questions beforehand and prepares for them. I won't tell you his or her name," he said. "It really annoys me. In fact, one day, I'll make sure that person is given a list from another programme because they don't need them."[26][27]

Following this comment people asked Fry to come out and say who it was, with several people posting their suggestions as to who it was. Fry later posted on his Twitter account that it was neither Davies nor Rob Brydon.[28]

I really wonder who it is now. The wiki also has a list of regular guests, but none of them seem more likely than the others. I can't believe it's David Mitchell or Dara O Briain though, that'd just be weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Higginson
Oct 21, 2005
NO NO NO we do not have images of fat guys sucking each others dicks in our custom titles!

reflir posted:

I really wonder who it is now. The wiki also has a list of regular guests, but none of them seem more likely than the others. I can't believe it's David Mitchell or Dara O Briain though, that'd just be weird

Looking through the list I'm not sure how far many appearances someone has to make to be regular, but I'd put my money on Phil Jupitus or maybe Clarkson. I initially thought Rory McGrath, but he's only been on twice.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
What about Giles Brandreth? The "He doesn't need them." makes me think it might be him, because he'd win the quiz every time with or without preparation.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Auntie is going through with selling Television Centre :(
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/8572319/BBC-puts-Television-Centre-up-for-sale.html

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Metrication posted:

Auntie is going through with selling Television Centre :(
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/8572319/BBC-puts-Television-Centre-up-for-sale.html

Great, now what are they going to do when everybody wants to move back from Manchester?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

ChuckDHead posted:

Great, now what are they going to do when everybody wants to move back from Manchester?
Salford.

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

reflir posted:

I'd personally go for Rich Hall, he always seems to have a pun perfectly ready.
Also he fills the criteria for not needing the questions as he's won the most episodes. (As a guest, Alan Davies has won the most overall).

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

ChuckDHead posted:

I really don't understand this move, the whole broadcasting industry is centred around London. All the big production companies and everything.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Whole thing stinks of outsource-obsessed consultancy.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Because the licence fee is paid by the entire nation, but almost entirely spent in London.
Because a large chunk of the work doesn't need to be based in London and is only there for historical reasons (and the general SE bias). TV Centre is hideously wasteful now that the tech that used to require entire rooms to itself has been replaced with small boxes.

goatface posted:

Whole thing stinks of outsource-obsessed consultancy.
I don't think you know what outsourcing means.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Here's what it looks like:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/gallery/2011/may/11/bbc-north-salford-in-pictures

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Cerv posted:

I don't think you know what outsourcing means.

Nope, I do. It looks increasingly like a prelude to a shrinking of the core BBC. Move away from the centre of the industry to cut costs, any work now in London can be better carried out by a company based there. There's still a lot of work to be done in London, so why not save money by hiring those outside contractors to do the work instead of using the BBC "bloat"? BBC wage bill drops, contractors pay their staff less, government is happy because the BBC is saving money and becoming less monolithic. As time goes on, the hiring of outside contractors becomes routine, the regional BBC staff can be cut.

Or I might just be being cynical.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

goatface posted:

Nope, I do. It looks increasingly like a prelude to a shrinking of the core BBC. Move away from the centre of the industry to cut costs, any work now in London can be better carried out by a company based there. There's still a lot of work to be done in London, so why not save money by hiring those outside contractors to do the work instead of using the BBC "bloat"? BBC wage bill drops, contractors pay their staff less, government is happy because the BBC is saving money and becoming less monolithic. As time goes on, the hiring of outside contractors becomes routine, the regional BBC staff can be cut.

Or I might just be being cynical.

Hasn't this been going on for thirty years at this point? There are lots of things the BBC used to do in-house - music, special effects, catering, costumes etc. etc. that have been farmed out to independent companies for years now.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Strom Cuzewon posted:

And one of the Stark henchmen is Lily Allen's younger brother (the weed addicted you'll-never-amount-to-anything brother from the song, looks like she was wrong).

The bit that stunned me was the majordomo of the Stark household: Uncle Ginger from The Queen's Nose. Uncle loving Ginger.

While we're outing Game of Thrones actors, has anyone else noticed Bronn is played by (Robson &) Jerome? Amazing.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Padje posted:

While we're outing Game of Thrones actors, has anyone else noticed Bronn is played by (Robson &) Jerome? Amazing.

No. loving. Way. :aaaaa:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Z-Magic posted:

I think it's Bill Bailey, but that's just because I don't like him as a comedian.

You don't need to know the answers to wobble on aimlessly about pixies and trolls.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Metrication posted:

I really don't understand this move, the whole broadcasting industry is centred around London. All the big production companies and everything.

This is apparently unusual compared to other countries, there have been complaints that the media is overly London centric, and that what is invested in the media should be spread out across the whole of the uk much more evenly than it is now. So as part of this government mandated drive the BBC are relocating a lot of production to Salford, unfortunately they are also selling off TVC which has the biggest HD studio in the country, the next biggest is Studio One at Pacific Quay. And i have no idea about how big the studios will be at Salford.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

HERAK posted:

This is apparently unusual compared to other countries, there have been complaints that the media is overly London centric, and that what is invested in the media should be spread out across the whole of the uk much more evenly than it is now. So as part of this government mandated drive the BBC are relocating a lot of production to Salford, unfortunately they are also selling off TVC which has the biggest HD studio in the country, the next biggest is Studio One at Pacific Quay. And i have no idea about how big the studios will be at Salford.

I was doing some poo poo telesales work for a relocation company recently, and there was a hell of a lot of business fitting out the offices in Salford. Called Media City.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 13, 2011

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

reflir posted:

That tedious Rory McGrath motherfucker who always knows the answers and is boring as hell.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

HERAK posted:

And i have no idea about how big the studios will be at Salford.

MediaCityUK posted:

Breakdown of studio sizes:

• Studio HQ1, ground floor: 12,543 sq ft (1,165.3 sq m)
• Studio HQ2, ground floor: 7,646 sq ft (710.3 sq m)
• Studio HQ3, ground floor: 4,550 sq ft (422.7 sq m)
• Studio HQ4, ground floor: 6,283 sq ft (583.7 sq m)
• Studio HQ5, first floor: 983 sq ft (91.3 sq m)
• Studio HQ6, first floor: 983 sq ft (91.3 sq m)
• Studio HQ7, first floor: 1,615 sq ft (150 sq m)

The studios at MCUK are really badly designed though, they're all connected from the scene dock by one corridor so if you're loading in/out of S1 then you can't get anything to/from S4 because the route will be blocked. Also there's only one entrance/exit for crew and audience, which is less than ideal if you're dealing with celebrities (or just don't want to be hassled walking in/out)

With regards to the BBC's decision to flog TVC, I don't understand the logic behind selling your own studio complex and offices that are owned by the BBC in excange for renting somewhere. It's like PFI in reverse, and just as poo poo. At least if they're not going to use the offices and studios at TVC they could rent them out or something rather than just bin them.

Rude Dude With Tude fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 13, 2011

Red7
Sep 10, 2008
That building must be falling apart at this point, its easier to sell it and rent the studios themselves in the future if need be, rather than continually having to pump money into the location to complete with the other studios in the SE.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah the QI thing is blatantly not going to be whoever your least favourite comedian is. It's whoever clearly enjoys being seen as being really clever and has rarely gotten a question wrong. Rich Hall, Bill Bailey and all those other ones constantly set off the buzzer thing.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah the QI thing is blatantly not going to be whoever your least favourite comedian is. It's whoever clearly enjoys being seen as being really clever and has rarely gotten a question wrong. Rich Hall, Bill Bailey and all those other ones constantly set off the buzzer thing.

Clive Anderson is my guess

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I seem to remember it being Rory Mcgrath, but it was probably someone speculating. Definitely fits the bill more than anyone though in my opinion.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

Junkenstein posted:

I seem to remember it being Rory Mcgrath, but it was probably someone speculating. Definitely fits the bill more than anyone though in my opinion.

I know he did that on They Think Its All Over, they even made jokes about it during the show.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
I'm thinking it's Jo Brand now. There's this episode in one of the early series where completely out of the blue she goes "I don't understand the works of Jacques Derrida!" which in itself is not that strange because literally no-one does. What makes me think she's insecure about her intelligence though is both that she brings this up completely out of context in a sort of double bluff ("I don't get it, but I'm still smart!") and the fact that she's reading Derrida in the first place, which you don't do unless you have a boner for literary criticism, Franco-Russian neo-Hegelianism (if there are more than three people in the entire world who study Derrida because they're interested in Kojeve it'd be pushing it) OR you want to appear intelligent because he has a reputation for utter incomprehensibility. She's also on the show a lot and seems to actually care when she does terribly (though that may be me being an unreliable retrospecting witness).

So yes, Jo Brand.

ps I am aware of the meta-textual aspects of this post

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

I don't think that whoever is asking to see the questions would have to be asking for them so they can do well in the quiz itself, they could just be quite bad at improv and are asking for the questions so they can make jokes about it by planning them in advance.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Stalingrad posted:

I don't think that whoever is asking to see the questions would have to be asking for them so they can do well in the quiz itself, they could just be quite bad at improv and are asking for the questions so they can make jokes about it by planning them in advance.

Some people do take these comedy quizzes more seriously than others. Watching David Walliams seething on The Big Fat Quiz of the Year a few years back because Russell Brand and Noel Fielding were winning through sheer idiocy and entertainment value combined with the odd lucky answer was hilarious, and the most I've ever laughed at anything to do with David Walliams.

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

ChuckDHead posted:

Some people do take these comedy quizzes more seriously than others. Watching David Walliams seething on The Big Fat Quiz of the Year a few years back because Russell Brand and Noel Fielding were winning through sheer idiocy and entertainment value combined with the odd lucky answer was hilarious, and the most I've ever laughed at anything to do with David Walliams.

Oh no doubt, I'm just saying that the people who do well on QI aren't any more likely to be the ones looking at the questions than the ones doing badly.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

ChuckDHead posted:

I've now got a hankering to watch that again. Big Fat Quiz Of The Year has never lived up to that first one.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Wormophile posted:

I've now got a hankering to watch that again. Big Fat Quiz Of The Year has never lived up to that first one.
Third! :eng101:

Although weirdly it only seemed to become a "big thing" that year. And it definitely hasn't been as good since.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
I am very ignorant :downs:

At least I now get to watch two extra big fat quizzes! Hurrah!

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Wormophile posted:

I am very ignorant :downs:
I thought it was the first for a really long time until I saw the Wiki page for it. Apparently Gordon Ramsey was in one with Rob Brydon!

Welp!

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Some Strange Flea posted:

Third! :eng101:

Although weirdly it only seemed to become a "big thing" that year. And it definitely hasn't been as good since.

Prior to that show, I never really liked Russell Brand or Noel Fielding, but somehow putting them together made for hilarity.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Padje posted:

Mine aren't anywhere near as good as that. Viserys Targaryen (the mad blonde deposed prince) popped up in Doctor Who a while back as Son of Mine in the Family of Blood episode while lardy King Robert Barathian was the lovable chubby stripper from The Full Monty.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

MisterLizard posted:

lardy King Robert Barathian was the lovable chubby stripper from The Full Monty.
And off the Tesco ads.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

MisterLizard posted:

Mine aren't anywhere near as good as that. Viserys Targaryen (the mad blonde deposed prince) popped up in Doctor Who a while back as Son of Mine in the Family of Blood

Christ you're right! I remember looking him up after that episode because I was very taken with his sneery face. The only one I've spotted is that the young watcher recruit who had a lord try to touch his cock got killed in the first episode of misfits.

Brown Moses posted:

And off the Tesco ads.

I am thankful I didn't realise this until after that character died.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

And off the Tesco ads.

And Fred Flintstone.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

MisterLizard posted:

Mine aren't anywhere near as good as that. Viserys Targaryen (the mad blonde deposed prince) popped up in Doctor Who a while back as Son of Mine in the Family of Blood episode

He was also Will Scarlett in the BBC's silly Robin Hood series (which I loved and still miss, not ashamed!).

Game of Thrones really is a game of spot the actor, huh. Maybe I should get in on this action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Wormophile posted:

Christ you're right! I remember looking him up after that episode because I was very taken with his sneery face. The only one I've spotted is that the young watcher recruit who had a lord try to touch his cock got killed in the first episode of misfits.

Don't forget he mugged Mark in Peep Show!